main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Bad Batch The Bad Batch 2.05 - Entombed - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 24, 2023.

Tags:
?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Feb 1, 2023.
  1. 10

1.5%
  2. 9

7.6%
  3. 8

10.6%
  4. 7

30.3%
  5. 6

19.7%
  6. 5

16.7%
  7. 4

4.5%
  8. 3

4.5%
  9. 2

3.0%
  10. 1

1.5%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 2.05!!
    Entombed

-------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a day or two before it airs on Disney+.

(2) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(3) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes; past episodes may be referenced. Speculation based on released material is permitted.

(4) The Bad Batch episodes air on Wednesday on Disney+. Anyone who shares plot details about an episode before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts without tags which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(5) All leaks and rumors must be spoiler tagged until they are either proven or disproven.

(6) Reviews for each episode may be posted once they have aired. One of the mods will add a grading poll to that episode's discussion thread.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    When I first saw the title Entombed I would never have imagined it was about Wilco rising from his grave.

3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As they say this is where the fun begins

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Sounds like it’s going to be a bottle episode.

5. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    An entire episode devoted to a Flythrough of Fortress Inquisitorious was really chill. However, the prolonged shots of Entombed Jedi were just chilling.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  6. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    The way they reversed the Wilhelm scream was pretty wizard.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I thought it was obvious where it was going when Omega said, "No harm ever came from reading a book."

8. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Hmm, this is giving me Zeffo vibes.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    did not expect this cameo.

[​IMG]

10. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Enjoyed this, despite its predictability and derivative nature. LFL is doing a greatest hits season with BB: podracing, ancient artifacts, maybe next stormtroopers, haha.

B.

Still narrative momentum for the season is 0.

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  11. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Nope this was boring again for me, I actually yawned. That woman taking them around telling them they are so lucky to have her, did she do anything to even remotely back that up? You could have taken her out of it and it likely would have resulted in this episode not happening and that would probably be a good thing. Maybe it will have a payoff later and I hope it does because right now, that episode was just a waste of time.

12. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Another paint-by-the-numbers snoozefest of an episode. I vainly hoped they'd go for a subversion of expectations where they get the treasure in the end and it doesn't turn out to be a complete waste of time, but nope, just had to stay true to form with their trope-ridden legendary treasure hunt story.

This, not TCW, is the show that deserved 12 episode seasons. They clearly did not have enough interesting ideas to fill up the allotted episode count and it shows.

13. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    What was even the point of this? The characters did not learn anything, the larger story did not progress in any way. 0 substance, nada, none. Waste of time and resources.

14. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    That was a fun episode with some intresting lore of force being before the Jedi and Republic, before 25, 000 years -30, 000 ago. I like these treasure hunting stories. Similar to Rebels. I enjoyed these filler episodes. Got Indiana Jones vibes.

15. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Gonna laugh so hard if this turns out to be foreshadowing for Jedi Survivor

That Zeffo Tallneck had "Video Game Boss" written aaaaall over it

16. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    The Bad Batch meets Indiana Jones.

6/10 - at least it's consistent.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    At first I hoped that there will be confirmation in the end of the episode, that that was Zeffo's tomb, but after the actual end with walker's disgraceful self-destruct I now hope that there will be no confirmation, not for Zeffo, not for any other specific ancient race.

18. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    I mean, the design, interior, and method of attack were pretty much all Zeffo staples

If it looks like a Zeffo, walks like a Zeffo, talks like a Zeffo, and steals your lunch money like a Zeffo...

19. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Unfortunately I’m losing hope with this series. I’m all for the odd filler episode with a fun mission of the week, but of the 4 episodes so far focused on the Bad Batch there’s been minimal content actually dedicated to progressing the story

The only one that’s actually done it was the Crosshair episode. I just can’t help but think there’s surely more interesting things we could be using the BB as a vessel to explore, rather than just focusing on them hopping round doing jobs which don’t expand our understanding of the GFFA at this moment in the timeline

Sarge, Sproj, Alarinne and 2 others like this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Perhaps an Imperial Commando series would have been a better idea. Or at least make an Early Empire anthology series, focusing on Imperials/Clones, Jedi survivors, Inquisitors, etc.....Not making it focused on the Bad Batch in every episode except a Crosshairs episode or two.

SeparatistFan and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  21. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    I liked this, the tomb seemed very zeffo and the large walker thingy looked a lot like their tomb guardians. This also leads to me to wonder if the planet they were on was Ziost, it matches pretty well. Pity that the baby zillo beast theory is busted now, but it could have been a Ziost monolith.

22. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    This episode felt like a random dungeon crawl in a Pen and Paper or video game and not in a good way. From the random monster to the riddles and everything else.

After an underwhelming premiere and two episodes that I actually liked this took a turn in a very bad direction again. In my opinion this was even worse than the Premiere, as that at least had the intriguing old guy on Serenno and some nice character development for Tech. Apart from reinforcing Omegas longing for adventure, this episode had absolutely nothing in that regard.

In general of course not every episode needs to have narrative momentum for the wider season arc or even character development, it could just introduce some intriguing lore, intresting new character or even just tell a good, fun self contained story. Unfortunately this episode didn't do any of those things either.

The lore I found pretty vague, we don't really get away knowing anything about this war robot, apart from that it was build by some unnamed Ancients in Pre-Republic times and probably razed the planet it is on. Also on a side note, I really didn't like the things aesthetics but that is of course a matter of taste. While there are certainly the roots of an intresting story there, the episode itself didn't give us much. It would already have been better if Phee had actually told the pirate legend about this place. It would have been in character for her and might have yielded more intresting details during the boring dungeon exploration.

Phee as a character is also not particularly intriguing. Right now she seems like a mix of Hondo Ohnaka and Dr. Aphra while being considerably less intresting than either of those.

Overall I'd therefore give this episode a 5/10 and hope that the next episode is more intresting again. Were probably stuck with those side adventures till at least the mid season double episode, which is not a bad thing in and of itself. I just hope that the next side adventures are more intresting again and that maybe we don't actually get to see that treasure hunt hinted at the close of the episode because this one doesn't give me much hope they can do one well.

23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I think if we just accept Bad Batch for what it is -- not an important series in the grand scheme of things -- then these filler episodes are slightly easier to enjoy for what they are (not much).

The show has contributed a few insights here and there about the Empire post Order 66, but other than that, it doesn't seem destined for much else.

24. Force Nexus

Force Nexus Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 22, 2022
    And that's a big shame. That starting with The Mandalorian, animated Star Wars has been relegated to "not important series." Even though the early Dark Times era has incredible storytelling potential. And they can do it. Crosshair episode was incredible. It was honestly better than most of the "important" live-action stuff. But they deliberately choose not to do those types of stories very often for whatever reason. They purposefully make pointless episodes like this one that contribute nothing and seem to exist only to fill up the episode count.

The Chalk Jedi, Sproj and Alarinne like this.
  25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Loved this whole episode, very Indiana Jones inspired. Loved the whole kaiju mecha in the second half.