main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I bought the Hugo Strange compilation from the Batman: Arkham collections, because Prey put me in the mind for it.

It’s mostly a collection of “must reads” for the character, albeit a bit disjointed in the middle part featuring Strange’s resurgence in the Bronze Age since it lacks his time as a “ghostly” subplot haunting Rubert Thorne. Fun facts to notice: Strange was even introduced as a frighteningly ripped weird looking dude, and it’s clear that in his later Golden Age and Bronze Age appearances, they were still trying to figure if they could make his Monster Men or a androids be his “gimmick,” even as him being a formidable mastermind and schemer was clearly what and eh I’m more interesting. It also highlights how the “Strange dresses as Batman” thing started as a functional gag of a rational but theatrical criminal, then became an insane obsession, and that Moench was the first to realize that giving him an “evil psychiatrist” aspect was a better gimmick than mutant monsters or robots.

But the collection also contains the last sequel to Prey, albeit written by Devin Grayson instead of Moench, and set in the contemporary setting of the 90’s, with Dick Grayson and Tim Drake taking over as the main POV characters:

Gotham Knights: Transference

Devin Grayson spends most of the opening highlighting her strengths as a writer; at her best, she was a devoted fan of older stories (like Prey), and of the character-heavy writing from stuff like BTAS (which she was reportedly a huge fan of when she was younger.) The story thus begins with a decent depiction of how Dick and Tim interact, how Bruce’s “playboy” personality interacts with them while they know the real deal underneath, and a great reintroduction of Strange, where Grayson demonstrates that she has a great idea of how to make Strange’s “poisonous-barb-taunts” work (a brutally exploitive taunt towards Catwoman and her mothers suicide early on really reminds the audience why Strange can be great villain.) Then Strange reminds the audience he’s remembered Bruce is Batman and attacks him in his civilian guise.

The part of the story that will excite some and turn off others is where things go next: Bruce fakes Batman’s death mid-fight with Strange, then activates a “post-hypnotic amnesia” plan as Bruce to help throw off Strange, counting on Dick to eventually recite part of the oath that Batman had him take as Robin to break him from it. This is about 10 years before Morrison’s Zur-En-Arh idea in Batman: RIP (…which I was also cold on, which tells you my overall feelings on this story.)

Aside from the trade-off caused by the hypnotic-amnesia idea (which, like Fear, sort of neutered some of Strange’s effectiveness by making Batman not particularly bothered by him), the story also has maybe about two issues more than it should in this second act; not enough time to really milk Dick and Tim’s predicament and reaction to Bruce not being Batman, but too much time to allow Strange to work as a good villain.

SHAD0W-JEDI and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Arrowsmith Volume 2

It was sad reading this final work of Carlos Pacheco. Yet that is no reason to avoid it. The story is excellent and wonderfully illustrated. Its only flaw is it needs a continuation - one that I hope Busiek finds a way to do.

Powers: The Best Ever

This sounds like a selected stories collection but is instead the finale to the series! This was slipped out in 2020 too.

It's an OK, years later tale, one they probably had in mind all along. It allows the story to go anywhere while capping it off whenever the cancellation axe fell.

Powers might be said to be among the most Bendis style books by Bendis, but it also shows how and why this style can work so well.

The Night Eaters: Volume 1: She Eats the Night

A new horror trilogy from the Monstress team, this is a good opener. The story is one of generational schism, of Asian tiger mothers and their kids, along with the more relaxed father. It is to their credit that the story doesn't rely upon the stereotypes it could have.

As to what is going on, with horror stories, it's better to say as little as possible. I liked how it wound up, this opening tale concluded while laying seeds for the next volume.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So I finally caved and decided I had enough spending money on hand to justify shelling out for a DC blah blah too long a name Ultra subscription, and I have to say if - big if - you can justify the upfront costs, it’s swell (TM). A feature they aren’t pushing enough in my mind is that it gives you access to trades/other collected editions, which is really handy if, like me, you’d like somebody to just put everything in the same goddamn book. I’d say Marvel needs to do this… but frankly Marvel needs to steal vast swaths of DC’s functionality when it comes to the app, so. Of the two giant parent corporations who very clearly do not give a flying **** about their published superhero comics, I feel comfortable saying WBD is overall more likely to accidentally spend too much on their web development budget.

Also, I had some misgivings about Action Comics #1050 (which unlocked recently at that subscription tier) given the remarks that, apparently, they had to tell Phil Johnson to reign in the darker aspects, but those misgivings were unfounded - so far, anyway. On the aggregate it’s a fun little status quo refresh, and I’m actually excited to read Superman comics again; between Bendis and the endless barrage of Crisis cluster****s it’s been a long time since I could say that. I did find it amusing that Lex graciously deigned to allow Clark to keep his marriage as part of what is, basically, an in-universe retcon - I don’t think that was a Spider-Man potshot given the New 52 happened and this is actually a valid concern for the character, but… you know… it kind of felt like a Spider-Man potshot.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Master_Lok likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    What is this new power Superman has? He can teleport or mess with time or something?

Picked up Saga, my only title I get. Saw something called Echoland, but it was sealed, but it looked cool.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Echolands is a great little title.

Told in landscape format, it's written by Blackman, with JH Williams III providing the absurdly good visuals.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    In the context of, well, exactly one issue, it kind of seemed like he was just back to crazy Silver Age level stuff where he could travel through time, space, and other dimensions really easily, rather than a new power per se. He even describes it as being “stronger” which is maybe why that’s where my impression of it went.

I will alert you if he starts shooting out a miniature version of himself. :p

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Prodigy: Volume 2: The Icarus Society

If you read stories for tales of deadly jeopardy or risk for the lead character, this isn't the book for you. If you don't mind about that lack then this story of an exasperatingly smug smartarse oursmarting other exasperatingly smug smartarses will work fine.

This was easily Millar's best work in ages. The story allows him to have fun with history while telling a story of rich bastards messing up the world, with a load of humour on top. Art is good too.

This is comic fast food at its finest. You don't need to read this, it isn't revolutionary, but it is fun, disposable entertainment.

It also lacks the unpleasant edge to the characters in both King of Spies and the first two volumes of The Magic Order.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

Pro Scoundrel and Master_Lok like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope. Compared to those other two books, Prodigy is far less abrasive.

Of course, you could verify it but that'd require you reading the books.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    True, that won't actually be happening. :p

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You should all just read Usagi Yojimbo and never suffer failed attempts at EPIC and self-important storylines.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Already have been, for years. Have the limited run hardbacks from DHC except v1 - that bastard sold fast.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A new book from the Talbots, due May 2023:

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm enjoying Echolands. The plot is basic at the moment, a thief steals a gem from a wizard and the group is on the run. The world itself is a mix. It has not explained itself yet but going by the title and what is in the pages this world is a reflection of others; the lead is Red Riding Hood, Ikaris the Eternal and even drawn in old Marvel art, and young boy meets a giant robot that looks like Grendizer, magic and technology all together.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I find it obnoxious and dumb that a comic site given an exclusive preview posts their gigantic watermark on each page of the preview, which obscures some of the art.:mad: It’s property of Marvel, folks: get over yourselves. We don’t need your stinking watermark.

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Coming up in the new Adventures Of Superman series starring Jon Kent, Jon will be pursuing Ultraman across the Multiverse, in order to prevent him from killing all versions of Clark Kent. One stop will be to..."Injustice".

[​IMG]

Tom Taylor is writing this series.

Juliet316 and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Public Domain: Volume 1

This is a very, very sharply fun examination of comics and companies, of how the latter treats the creators of the former, especially where superheroes are concerned. It's also a great example of Zdarsky's skills as a writer-artist.

The only thing I'm uncertain of is if there is enough here to continue the story but happy to see where it goes.

That Texas Blood: Volume 3

This excellent crime series continues to be excellent.

This volume is built around a serial killer turning up in a blizzard. The story starts, builds and concludes well with excellent art.

And it's the art that boosts this particular volume. How hard is it to draw snow? It isn't easy and there's a lot of it in this story. At the same time there are some heavy emotional hits that are conveyed by silent sequences that are very effective.

The Incal: Psycho-Verse

A prequel to The Incal, this works both as an intro for those new to it and a reminder for those, like me, for whom it's been a while.

After a few quiet years its also good having Humanoids back. This is the first of a series of Incal stories told by others with Jodorowsky's go-ahead. Russell and Paquette spin a tale of world destroying nuns, while placing the characters for where they need to be.

Well worth looking at regardless of if you've read The Incal or not.

Batman: The Batman's Grave

This series got hit badly by the revelations of Ellis being a crapbag in his personal life. Yet, this is work-for-hire so Elis was already paid and it has Hitch on art, who was the bigger draw for me.

For the most part, this is a well told story and one where Ellis is smart enough to let Hitch tell it via silent sequences. The only flaw in it is the Ellis didn't know how to end it so the final pages fall flat.

Master_Lok likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Feral and Foe

Another banger from Abnett and Elson. This one is high fantasy and is a lot of fun. Some of the jokes don't always land but a lot do.

Rogues

This Black Label tale is a good showcase for the imprint. A superpowered spin on 'the one last job' tale, it works well. Art is OK but has a bit of a grab bag of artists on the final issue.

Suicide Squad: Blaze

This is an Ennis-level superhero deconstruction story that hits everything it aimed at. At the same time there is a smattering of sharp satire. Think of Spurrier's Hellblazer run and the same is here.

The version of Waller depicted is very close to a UK right-wing schoolteacher turned politician, but due to that, even if she deigned to notice something as common as comics, would have little in the way to object. If anything she'd likely like Waller's outlook and policies!

The superhero examination is based around the idea of superpowers being uncontrollable. Along with a side of governments and militaries being really, really stupid while believing they're being so smart and realistic.

Campbell's art is superb and well matched to this pitch black tale of self-inflicted armageddon.

Really wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but it's an great little book.

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I got Moebius’ The World of Edena in hardback this Christmas and have been working my way through it. It’s rather beautiful.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Two good Library editions from Dark Horse:

Our Encounters With Evil

A collection of short stories of supernatural extermination and punishment, this was a fun read. It's independent of the wider Mignolaverse titles but I wouldn't rule out a crossover or link-up in the future.

Art is OK. It's very much on the cartooning side of style and it does what it needs to.

Blackwood

This manages to be a riot of fun and a fresh take on the very well-used magic school story. It does this with a good set of characters and a wry sense of humour.

At the sane time the art is bold with a great use of colour.

The combination makes for a very fun read.

Master_Lok likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ascender

Granted, I was expecting a lot from this as its predecessor Descender was superb. It also has one of the most devastating follow throughs, all the way to the end, of any story going.

Even so, it still smashed it out of the park and into orbit. The new characters meshed perfectly with the older, returning ones. There Nyguen's glorious watercolour art style.

Above all, it is a story and sequel with an amazing sense of balance. Of exactly how much to screw things up with a new enemy, but of how to enable the heroes, old and new, to be active in opposing it. Of where to set the challenges and setbacks, ups and downs. And it knows when to bring the curtain down.

Do read Descender before this, but don't miss this either.

22. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  23. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am shaming Marvel on Twitter because they keep omitting Marco Checchetto's art credit from Daredevil 5. The digital single issue is the only place it's fixed as the physical and digital trades credit awesome back up artist Rafael de LaTorre as the artist for 5.

Even more embarrassing, Marco had to tell people that he is the artist on 5. :rolleyes:

And Marvel left Marco's name off the cover of Daredevil issue 7 too.

It annoys the hell out of me for many reasons:

1) Marco was nominated for an Eisner for Daredevil two years in a row (That alone should mean he is always credited.).
    2) Marco has been Marvel exclusive going on 16 years now.
    3) His work in DD #5 is some of the best he's ever done (well, until last week's issue 8.)
    4) He is one of the nicest, most humble and enthusiastic people in the industry. He adores working at Marvel.
    5) People buy his work for Marco (I've bought several Marvel books featuring characters I am not a fan of because Marco illustrated them.)

Whomever keeps missing this needs to be taken off proofreading/design duties, it's disrespectful.

Jedi Ben, Ramza and soitscometothis like this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think I'm increasingly in that mildly conspiratorial camp that thinks nobody is really editing Marvel books.

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    MY HERO ACADEMIA and ONE PUNCH MAN

Not sure if it is "against the rules" to mention Manga here -- if so, apologies. However, if you love superhero comics, I can't recommend these enough. I know that some fans of American comics are put off by "manga style artwork", but I'd recommend that even if that's the case, you give these a try. I have been reading super hero comics for...well lets just say over half a century ... and these are not only my absolute favorite superhero comics of the last five, ten or more years, but they are way up there on my all time list.

ACADEMIA has elements of classic Marvel and DC Comics, of the X-Men and Teen Titans, of Harry Potter, all thrown into a blender, and mixed with a bunch of unique ingredients such that you can sense all of those influences but, to me, it never feels derivative. It's set in a world where about 80% of people have some kind of "power", although in many cases the power may be as simple as being able to, say, generate a small flame (like that of a cigarette lighter) from a finger, or being able to levitate small objects of no more than a couple pounds. My point is, not everyone is lifting tractor trailers or unleashing lightning bolts! However, some people can do things like that, and while some use those abilities for good, some use them for more selfish, or even more sinister or downright evil purposes. In this world, there are schools for those gifted with impressive and useful powers, to train them to become professional heroes (interestingly, it is recognized that some heroes have abilities best suited to rescue and assistance, while some are best suited to directly confronting villains). Some stories center on students at one such school, but seasoned adult heroes, some of them teachers, are soon thrown in the mix. There is a rich backstory to this superpowered world that is gradually revealed as the story rolls on. One thing I love, that I think will delight any superhero-nerd, is that the costumes are creative and fun and that the USE of the superpowers is clever and creative and original, with wonderful fight choreography. This is something the series shares with ONE PUNCH MAN - if you thought that "it's all been done", that there is nothing new to be done in a fight with, say, super strength, or fire powers, or ice powers, or other powers, you;ll really enjoy being proved wrong - and in seeing some superpowers you probably couldn't have imagined being used in very creative ways.

ONE PUNCH MAN manages to be very funny, with tons of humor, much of it poking fun at classic tropes of the superhero world, while still somehow managing to unapologetically present some of the most cool, inspiring, heroic characters I've read in a long time. That is pretty amazing - you'd think you'd have to go one way (humorous) or the other (taking superheroes seriously). The titular character is as powerful as (more powerful than?) Superman, and he is growing bored as it seems that there is nothing and no one who can provide him with a challenge if he takes the threat seriously. He is surrounded by an amazing array of supporting characters and villains, in astonishing numbers, with a wild variety of looks, costumes, attitudes and powers. As with ACADEMIA the artwork is great, and the fight choreography is clever and dynamic with hugely creative use of the characters' powers and the fight environments. Something that genuinely delighted me is that the author will present you with a hero whose powers and/or costume and/or motif seems ridiculous and laughable, and will indeed give you some great laughs with that character, and then blow you away by giving them a hero moment what will just wow you - either through finding a way to use that "useless power" in a way you never saw coming, or through the character's sense of honor or their bravery.

Sorry for the length of this post. I know ACADEMIA is pretty visible these days (ONE PUNCH less so but still "out there") so maybe this isn't necessary, but if you are a super hero comic book fan and haven't tried these, I can't recommend them highly enough!