main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    With weddings in particular, sometimes couples enroll in special dance lessons prior to the wedding and before that one or both members of the couple may never have gotten much experience dancing.

I know that both my best friend and my older sister took such dancing lessons with their future husbands prior to their wedding.

Such dancing lessons could even be a fun inspiration for a humorous or fluffy romantic story as couples learn something new together[face_love]

2. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Rule of Cool: if it makes it cooler*, go for it. :cool:

* subject to authorial interpretation

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Going by that Luke is more or less the space version of a 50's teenager stuck in a farm outside of a small town would I say that he knows how to dance, since dancing was one of the things people did at their free time when they had a meet up.

4. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    I want to propose an idea for my story that could result in Sidious being easily killed off and I want you to tell me if its plausible:

In Legends, Darth Maul was abandoned by Sidious in the Outer Rim forced to survive alone while being hunted by assassin droids as part of his final test. After a month, Sidious returned to Maul when he was starving and weak and easily bested him in a dual. Sidious went on to say that he been secretly training another apprentice to replace Maul the entire time. Out of pure anger, Maul lunged for Sidious and bit his master's hand with his own teeth and then spat blood in his face. Sidious reveled the final test was to get Maul to want to kill him which he passed.

My idea begins with Maul preserving the blood and flesh from when he bit Sidious' hand to use against him in some Dathomirian ritual. Years later, Maul would travel to Dathomir to meet with Mother Talzin and present her with Sidious' flesh. She would use the flesh to create a voodoo doll of Sidious as she did with Count Dooku and his hair during the Clone Wars. With this voodoo doll, Talzin would kill Sidious slowly and painfully.

Does this seem plausible to you or is there anything I'm overlooking?

pronker likes this.
  5. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    That sounds really, really cool. Not seeing anything glaring.

pronker likes this.
  6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The big issue would be that killing Sidious doesn't actually end him. This plot could work, in that the body currently containing the essence of Sidious would die, but his spirit would persist (this happened in Legends and Disney alike, so it's a consistent trait), find a new body, and come back. Depending on exactly when in the timeline he 'died' the available choice of bodies varies, which influences how disabling this would be and how much effort it would take to rebuild his power base, but he would come back.

He is probably most vulnerable to being killed during the Clone Wars, because he doesn't have clone bodies available yet and because the Republic would vote in a new Chancellor effectively immediately. Once the Empire is established a prolonged absence by the Emperor is actually a normal state of affairs and disadvantages him significantly less.

pronker likes this.
  7. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    Does anyone know when Palpatine found out about Exegol or when the Sith Eternal first came to exist? I know he started looking into immortality through cloning during the Imperial Era, but did he know about Exegol and the Sith Eternal during the Clone Wars?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hi all! Can anyone suggest a GFFA equivalent of chickenpox or some other childhood disease that isn't too serious but has parents worried enough that they'd see a doctor?

@Grievous2003 I don't think that canon material gives us any indication in either direction (but don't take my word for it).

UltramassiveUbersue likes this.
  9. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    In terms of the Legends timeline between Attack of the Clones and the eventual CIS/Republic War; Is Captain Panaka still an active officer on Naboo?

pronker likes this.
  10. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Of course, his dance steps might seem really old-fashioned. Like if someone went into a club nowadays and tried to dance the jitterbug or the mashed potato.

11. UltramassiveUbersue

UltramassiveUbersue Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2022
    Nerfpox?

12. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I wanna see Luke trying to convince Mara to square dance at their wedding. :p

13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Nice, thanks!

14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    My "Togorian measles" is up for grabs, with sufferers acquiring dots of fur rather than spots.

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @pronker That's brilliant and it's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, does anyone know of a good GFFA equivalent of sheep? (Yes, I know there is a Wook entry for "sheep," but I'm seeing if I can't try for something slightly more alien. :D )

17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Findswoman Shaaks were apparently designed to be the SW version of sheep, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea because they don't have a big woolly coat. However, the Wook also says that there was a similar species on Alzoc III with longer fur to survive the cold, so if you need a wool shaak there's one right there.

18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    "Whitlatch wanted to suggest a grazer bred for food, the Naboo equivalent of a sheep." says Wookiepedia of shaaks. I dunno, they looked like nasty ticks to me and not at all cute, but they may suit the purpose? EAD: Ninja'd! EEAD: "Blue Shadow Virus" ep on Clone Wars introduced Gungan Peppi Bow, who herded shaaks using a long, shepherd's crook-appearing staff. This evoked sheepherding to me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  19. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Threepio calls Chewie a "wooly". Maybe that could be the SW equivalent of sheep.

20. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Are you looking for a herd animal, or a creature that actually produces wool? There are several wool-bearing possibilities: Fantabu, Tomuon, Muunyak, Banthas, Gaberworms (might want to pass on this one), Govaths. Not much information on the last two, so you could probably define them however you like.

21. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    This sheds new light on Shaak Ti's name... [face_thinking]

I always think of nerfs when thinking of GFFA herd animals, though they might be closer to cow-equivalents instead of sheep.

22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much, everyone! What I am looking for is mostly a herd animal, but one about the size of an Earth sheep. Most of the ones I'm seeing in these articles seem a good bit bigger than that, though, so I may just stick with "sheep" or even just "the flock." Thanks again, though! :)

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    there is also Groat and Mesa groat (more of a goat counterpart), Bordok are of sheep size and herad animals, and the same can be said for smaller ponies (used by the Ewoks, among others), Roba are more pig counterparts but could work, Neek are probably to small for what you are looking for.

There is probobly stuff like "herd slugs" on some planets and "sheep-beetles" on others.

24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Findswoman You could also just build a word around "ovine", like "ovinoid", just to make it GFFA-ish. The Latin species name is my go-to solution for this sort of situation.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  25. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Size is fairly malleable among ungulates. There's usually a larger or smaller version of every major sub-group (most of the large megafauna of recent times are extinct because...well, paleontologists fight about that one a lot). The Uxibeast is an extremely caprine-like animal morphologically, a smaller domesticated version is quite logical.

Mira_Jade , Gamiel and Findswoman like this.