main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Take all of this, and then multiply it by the reasons behind the inception of police in the U.S., and then you might get a better understanding of why this particular instance is cogent to this particular thread.

Juliet316 and blackmyron like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    For Black History Month, DeSantis personally announced an art and essay contest. His Education Commmissioner said "Learning about African American achievements is central to learning about Florida and America itself"

[face_plain]

Edit: the state's special "Black History Month" website is a testament to minimum effort.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    solojones and Pensivia like this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, this kind of goes hand in hand with what I brought up in the police brutality thread about what if the officers that HAD been fired had been white. Guess now we know.

Edit: Speaking of teaching Black History Month in Florida... This really REALLY isn't the way to do that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    Dark Ferus likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Juliet, just post what the article is about, instead of the constant click-baiting.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Teacher allegedly did blackface on her students as some sort of alleged lesson on Black History month.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Where?

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    LOL wow. Where do I even start? Oh I know, with actual information about African American history.

The United States Project
    Confronting Slavery in America
    https://theunitedstatesproject.blogspot.com/2022/06/confronting-slavery-in-america.html

The Origins of Slavery in the British Empire
    https://theunitedstatesproject.blogspot.com/2022/11/the-origins-of-slavery-in-british-empire.html

Opposing the African Slave Trade
    https://theunitedstatesproject.blogspot.com/2023/02/opposing-african-slave-trade.html

Slave Ships, Slave Rebellions and the Middle Passage
    https://theunitedstatesproject.blogspot.com/2023/02/slave-ships-slave-rebellions-and-middle.html

Phillis Wheatley Peters
    https://theunitedstatesproject.blogspot.com/2022/11/phillis-wheatley-peters.html

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I love how a meme phrased it: Slavery is white history. How we survived it is Black history.

Rew, Pensivia, TX-20 and 3 others like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Florida.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Of course. Florida gonna Florida.

11. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Just so we’re clear: African American history isn’t just slavery or slavery related topics.

Ghost, Pensivia, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    See again:

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I really don't think that meme does a good job. It does what white conservatives often misleadingly accuse "the woke left" of doing, and being unnecessarily polarizing and over-simplifying and villainizing/victimizing.

And African-American history might begin with slavery, but Black History does not.

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    To adapt a quote from Star Trek - The Undiscovered Country, “Memes are the beginning of wisdom, not the end.”

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
  16. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    So speaking of Black history, has anyone caught any of this (on PBS--available for streaming right now in addition to the local air dates):

I've seen the first two episodes and have been enjoying them. Really interesting to see the earlier origins of hip hop (with all its varied components--graffiti, breakdancing, rapping, etc.) examined in relation to the preceding context of Black consciousness movements of the 60s and then the specific context of the Bronx/NYC in the 1970s.

Another great recently-made music-related Black history doc is of course Questlove's Summer of Soul film from 2021. I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It weaves together so many elements of larger history in with the concert footage, and Questlove's audio director commentary was as fascinating as the film itself!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018

Personally, I only use the phrase of “people of color” when I’m around liberals who use it. I’m more comfortable saying black and brown when talking about minorities.

It does group everyone who isn’t white into one group while ignoring the tensions between those racial groups in America.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    That's why I'm warming up to "global majority."

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Hmm… that definitely feels like a pointless term.

How and why is it preferred?

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So three members of the TN legislature stage a protest. Two of them are voted by the legislature to be expelled. I'll let you guess what differentiated the one from the other two...

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Her face.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Because people of European descent are a minority in the global population.

23. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I think you may have to watch the video to see what I’m saying: I understand the meaning of it, but I was asking Merk why he preferred it.

It seems like a meaningless conflation of many cultures, races, ethnicities. I suppose I could say: what purpose does it serve to group everyone, on earth mind you, not white into a single group?

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Justin Pearson is on Chris Hayes right now. He was not surprised at being expelled given the dynamic of the Tennessee GA in which he served. Apparently the Speaker referred to himself as an “overseer.” [face_sick]

Rogue1-and-a-half and blackmyron like this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That wasn’t done by us. We have, for centuries now, had to endure social and legal distinctions that did exactly that: lumped everyone non-white into an umbrella inferior class. That has created certain parallel experiences where none had reason to exist prior. In light of that, I don’t find the idea implausible. And I’m certainly not going to get in a huff about recognizing a social reality that someone else spent incredible effort to create.

Is it the only acceptable framing? Of course not. I don’t even use it. But I recognize it’s better and more accurate than “minority groups” for instance.