main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Rogue One is a soulless cash grab that was directed by committee. It’s characters are all cardboard cutouts.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    TROS for me is the most enjoyable Star Wars movie in the Disney era. Love a good treasure hunt.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  3. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Second only to Rogue One IMO

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Most SW characters are archetypes, and painted in broad strokes. Comparatively, R1 characters are much more subtle and nuanced. The more I watch R1, the more I see the depth of these people.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The non-saga films are the best ones.
    From a certain point of view.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If the characters and plot didn't already take me out of Rogue One the dollar store John Williams score could come close to doing so on its own

Watcherwithin likes this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    At least those "cardboard cutouts" didn't ruin anything in the saga. And the filmmakers had the balls to kill those characters off, probably overkilled them to be honest (I would've liked for Krennic to live at least).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    Watcherwithin and PCCViking like this.
  8. Lucas dont cared about Canon that much Filoni and Disney also dont care for the way they Retcon their own Novels and Comics

Boba Fett should have been a Villain in Mandalorian and not an Ally, Movie Version of Boba Fett probably would have accepted an offer from Moff Gideon to hunt down Din and Grogu it would also have been very interesting to see a Mandalorian Antagonist the relationship between Boba and Din must have been like the relationship between Boba and Jodo Kast where Boba believed that Jodo Kast was an impostor and that he was imitating him as happened in Boba Fett Twin Engines of Destruction Comic

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2023
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Holy lack of punctuation, Batman!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think his mother was frightened and traumatized by punctuation during childbirth.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Of course Lucas didn't care about what was in the EU, unless it veered too far away into disgusting stuff. It was like the world's worst kept secret.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Disgusting, like pineapple?

13. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Although I still hate how it handled certain characters and the Anakin's prophecy, the film has grown on me a bit. It's the most original ST film. There are new biomes and TROS doesn't try to emulate the OT as much as the other sequels. A galactic treasure hunt was quite an original plot for a Star Wars film.

This makes TROS far less of a chore to sit through than TFA and TLJ.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, but it begins with the letter P.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  15. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The romance scenes in AOTC are among the best written in the whole series. That includes, although far from exclusively, the dialogue.

16. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    I'm not trying to challenge you or anything, i'm just curious. What makes you think that?

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was a pretty big Anakin/Padme fan in AOTC but even I thought the only well written scenes were the picnic and dinner scenes on Naboo, the Lars garage scene (for Anakin’s display of anguish but not Padme’s reaction) and the actual battle on Geonosis (“Is this what you call a diplomatic solution?” “No, I call it aggressive negotiations.”)

I will add the scene in ROTS where Padme tells Anakin that she is pregnant, the final scene of Senate Spy, and the Evil Plans episode in TCW. Other than that I thought their scenes were pretty bad and made one or both of them look bad.

18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I think the scenes of them leaving for Naboo and them arriving are also considerably well-written for people not fond of their scenes too.

If not for Anakin’s honesty about being nervous like Padme about his first assignment on his own and his cute lil quip about at least having R2 with them.

And Padme being able to look retrospectively at her Queen days and Anakin’s support for her role in politics

19. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    An adequate answer that matches the complexity of the matter would take too much time to give, so I'll try to put into a few words.

There is a thing called authenticity and I think that makes them work for me so well. Those two characters are purely written for themselves, each expression they give and every word they utter is true to themselves and who they are as people in a galaxy far far away - oblivious to audience expectations. Many modern movies - including the ST - feature characters that are primarily written for the audience and how they will likely perceive them. Anakin and Padmé are not.

That said, there is also the thing that each of their scenes feels vital and important. There is not a single scene that feels redundant and each scene is extremely consistent with the others. Each scene builds up the next and their relationship develops very naturally - for my taste, at least. They first meet each other again in a professional context and everything is pretty awkward (Padmé's Appartment), then they start to re-adjust their relationship in a new context (Padmé packing) and move on to a kind of "daily business" without any emotional connotations (leaving Coruscant). They start to get to learn more about each other and the lives they had without the other (Freighter Scene and Arriving on Naboo), which is not devoid of tension that's natural to people coming together after a long time and not really knowing each other and their sensibilities anymore (The Palace Scene). They are allowed to spend time with each other, have some comversation and fun and even get to physically have fun (Meadow Picnic). Anakin is infatuated with Padmé and Padmé starts to see some purity in Anakin that is threatened by darkness. There is a stolen kiss after a scene that shines in highlighting their very different upbringing and the experiences that formend them. The Fireplace Scene spills the drama and it becomes clear that they are in love, but feel they can't. They bury any ideas of living together until Anakin suffers a severe loss and Padmé witnesses him wrestling with that loss. Even though I get people questioning Padmé's reaction, I think it works within the context of the world view she is expsoed to and those intense experiences are what make people bond. I think Padmé starts to change her mind right here. After being captured and about to die, she finally confesses her love and they marry in the end.

There is also not just purity and authenticity to the characters, but to the way it's presented. Although the movie makes is pretty clear that this relationship is never going to work out, it never does it in a cynical way. There is melancholic sadness to be felt opposed to mean-spirited schadenfreude at people failing. It's refreshing and so un-modern. It's a nice way of making movies.

It's also extremely true to the roots of Star Wars. AOTC is probably alongside ANH my favourite movie and the romance in AOTC definitely equals the Death Star scenes in ANH. Luke is a more heroic Anakin and Leia is a more optimistic Padmé. Luke's "I'm Luke Skywalker and I am here to rescue you." is a more heroic version of Anakin's romantic "I am haunted by the kiss that you should have never given me.". Although none of this is real and not r"ealistic" in relation to our modern world, it works perfectly as a realtiy for itself. What lies below the stylized surface, is truly human.

And last but not least, I have been given a much longer response than expected, their story is told on all levels available. It's not just dialogue, it's also music and the costumes and the set design and the environment as a whole. It's beautiful, but said. I works.

20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I also like Anakin and Padmé's relationship, from the lighter stuff to the tragic stuff. It's the most interesting romance in SW, and has the most build up.

21. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    My unpopular opinion is that unpopular opinions should be more popular.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  22. clone commander bossk

Nov 5, 2019
    Thanks for writing this. I never hated those scenes, but I know have a whole new appreciation for them.

Count Yubnub and Samnz like this.
  23. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I don’t know if it’s considered unpopular, and I think the scene in the Obi-Wan show is amazing regardless, but Anakin and Obi-Wan’s final moment on Mustafar is more heartbreaking/powerful than the scene on the moon. The display of violence Obi-Wan uses in cutting off Anakin’s limbs days after their relationship was at its height is disturbing and the wails of Anakin’s screams and seeing the eyes change from blue to yellow with John Williams’s score is another powerful moment that was replicated for the Obi-Wan show. And Ewan’s delivery of “You were the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the Sith, not join them!” To me is just more stronger and implicative of Obi-Wan’s guilt and justifiable anger than the “I’m sorry, Anakin.”

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    SW character unpopular opinions

Anakin:
    I hate sand. It's rough, course and irritating and it gets everywhere

Obi-Wan:
    The worst thing about flying is getting bombarded with blaster fire

Yoda:
    Jedi are arrogant, even the older more experienced ones

Palpatine:
    Jedi suck

Also Palpatine:
    finding Greivous should not be the Jedi's first priority

Padme:
    this idea of hiding is lame

Jar-Jar:
    the force is insignificant and stinks like a whiff

25. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Han Solo: I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, Princess. I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money.

Leia: Chewbacca is a walking carpet.

Chewbacca: I should touch the meat hanging in the forest

Threepio: it’s not proper to impersonate a deity.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023