main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Crimson Climb - EK Johnston

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    New upcoming book, very little info currently:

2. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    My guess is that this will cover the period between Solo's prologue and the events of Solo, depicting how Qi'ra got to be Dryden's second.

The more popular guess will be that this is post-Solo and will cover Maul and Qi'ra, but I think they're saving Maul's story for how he got to Malachor for later.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, I hadn't put those pieces together.

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    E.K said on IG that it's coming in October

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have to admit my mind jumped to the second option so quick I never even considered the first, but now that you bring it up, it does sound more likely. Should be an interesting story either way.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That tracks as we only have releases up to July.

Might be we get the start of High Republic Phase III in Sept-Nov.

7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Terrible cover and title... but looking forward to the book itself very much. Wondering though why they chose Johnston as author given she is their go to author for LGBTQ stuff. I enjoyed her books so far despite some flaws, now who will she LGBTQ+ in this one? Qi'ra herself? Given her female friends in the comics it is likely. My bet is on Qi'ra/Margo. And she has experience with girls with a terribble past and trauma backstory (some Handmaidens from Naboo invasion had that), thus Qi'ra's rather dark abusive past fits well for her style. Just wish that would be not a young adult book but a full adult one to explore the themes deeper.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The cover might not be final give that it's only Feb.

9. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    One of my favorite characters by one of the most boring authors I am all conflicted.

10. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Phase III is supposed to start in November with a short stories book coming in Sept-Oct to launch the new Phase.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Thats sounds great. Cant wait for more Qira stories. I'm hopefull for more Qira. You can get more of her relationship with Dryden Vos. Maybe some Han Solo cameo, Qira meets up with Hondo.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, no, no. If that were to happen the book would be called Something Something Hondo.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    lets tie this book with the short with her and Hondo, Forces of Desteny.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hondo and his assistant Qi'Ra perhaps? The joke being that it's Qu'Ra running the show with Hondo as the front guy.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Make it a joke with her, Hondo and IG-88, threesome.

MercenaryAce and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Well... I expected Johnston's next work to be a queer book about Lando and his Handmaidens... aka the Blue Men Group, the fabolous Bespin Wing Guard! I still hold hope for that entourage to get their LGBTQ+ novel by Johnston one day!

Lets hope the Qi'ra book covers not only her rise from abused slave to Drydens second in command, but goes further to show her time with Maul, at least the beginning of it if not reaching Malachor. Bonus points if it adresses Dathomir LGBTQ stuff like Tricia Barr's "El Lado Oscuro" rare lore about Dathomiri witches being able to procreate without males if they so chose to thx to the Force/Magick.

17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I do wonder how much of this will mesh with the Solo novelisation, which briefly covered some of Qi’ra’s training with Dryden (under Maul’s distant supervision).

AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  18. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    There's a synopsis available on the Amazon listing now:

19. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    As am I.

And also Solo comic adaptation.

Well, hope for at least epilogue, featuring Qi'ra and Maul post-Solo.
    Either way, seems like there is going to be some development of Dryden, which is great.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    LFL Press, so it'll be a YA hardback

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Huh so it’s pre-Solo.

Booooo.

But, it’ll undoubtedly have Maul in it somewhere and somehow. Sooooooooooo.

Either way; hyped!

22. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Does anyone else find the timing of this novel unusual?

Solo came out 5 years ago. The Crimson Dawn trilogy is drawing to a close pretty soon. Is this setting up further Qi’ra Lit content down the road, or are they just trying to fill a gap in the character’s backstory?

It would be interesting as well if this begins a new Qi’ra trilogy, paralleling the Padme trilogy. I would have been gunning for a Leia trilogy instead, but I’m guessing that Leia is one of those characters that LFL keeps reserved.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Padme trio did not start out as one. The more interesting trigger for this is probably how Hidden Empire #5 plays out.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    This is my feeling at the moment. Plus it’s a case of alternate programming in the publishing for those aren’t into the High Republic.

Golbolco likes this.
  25. KirKanosForever

KirKanosForever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    I don't know if it'll be a trilogy, but Crimson Climb is certainly ripe to be followed up by other Crimson _____ names for a couple more books if they want. One that covers after Solo to Rebels (Crimson Conflict) and one that covers Maul's death to TESB (Crimson Command), for example.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023