main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Do you think Anakin would voluntarily turned himself in if he had survived?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So, an interesting train of thought crossed my mind, and I'm very curious to hear how others think about this

I know the question of "What would have happened if Anakin didn't die?" has been around for a while, but I'd like to get a bit more specific here. If he had survived, the galaxy at large would likely have wanted nothing more than for him to have a public execution; considering the years of atrocities he committed as pretty much the face of the Empire, I don't think most would've been content with giving him a life prison sentence, or accepting self-exile. I think pretty much the only one who'd have forgiven him is Luke, and he'd be hard pressed to convince the entire galaxy "Yeah, my dad's chill now, don't worry!"

Another thought then came to mind - Anakin is someone whose entire life was essentially defined by his inability to accept the death of his loved ones. He blamed himself for his mother's death, which probably haunted him forever. The entire reason he fell to the dark side was his inability to cope with so much as the fear of his wife dying, and ultimately, it was his love for his son that wouldn't allow him to sit by and watch him die - at the cost of his own life

The first death Anakin was really able to accept was his own. "Nothing can stop that now."

So I wonder, let's put a twist on the "what if he survived" question and ponder - would he have voluntarily turned himself over to the New Republic, even if it almost certainly meant he would be knowingly walking to his own execution? Perhaps after having done so many horrible things, and being willing to accept his death as an inevitability, he really would just go "I've done too much evil, and death is the only penance"

Or maybe he would just be too afraid? Perhaps he would just exile himself to some distant planet, far away from civilization, and let the galaxy think that Darth Vader died on the Death Star (certain point of view blah blah)

What does everyone think?

2. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    yes, I think he would've.

And apparently:

[​IMG]

:p

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't know if he would have went out of his way to turn himself in, but he would have went quietly if they came for him, which they would have. The fight had gone out of him, and I don't think he had any left.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't think Vader is the "face of the Empire". He's but one henchman. I also don't think the outcome would be "public execution", even assuming (even though I don't) that everyone would want that. Unless the new Republic changed it's policy from "rule of law" to "mob rule".

I do think he would have given himself in if he survived. In a way, he was already doing it when he chose to sacrifice himself. By that point, fear ceased to be part of the equation. He let go of fear.

5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I would disagree on one point; Vader most certainly is the "face of the Empire". By the time of the OT, Palpatine is just sitting in his palace pulling the strings. Vader is his Right Hand. He's the one who goes out and sees that things get done. Where you see him, you see the Emperor, and he's more than willing to take down those who stand in the Empire's way. I remember one of the old West End Games role playing guides, where, in the original declaration of the Rebellion, the Alliance makes a point of specifically noting that Vader was on their hit list.
    I think Ani (and he would be Ani at that point) would surrender to the authorities and take his medicine. And if they judged him to be worthy of death, he'd accept that, too.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m in the ‘he wouldn’t volunteer himself but he wouldn’t try very hard to hide nor would he resist arrest’ camp.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't see Vader as the face of the Empire, specially to the average galactic citizen. Vader does represent the Emperor and enforces the Emperor's bidding, but he's just one cog in that machine. He's a single man, and because of that is relegated to specific, important tasks. The regional governors, for example, are much more the face of the Empire, since they are more hands-on in enforcing the Empire's rule and dominion than Vader. Same with the Imperial military.

8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    But they're just functionaries. They're politicians, soldiers & cops, all pretty much interchangeable (with the possible exception of Tarkin, who is on a whole different level of villainy). Vader, however, is unique. Once you see him, you don't forget him. And, to quote the "Story of Star Wars" LP, he's "a figure who moves forever in a cloud of awesome evil". He is the visible symbol of the Empire's tyranny, moreso than the isolated Emperor. I'm sure most people in the Empire wouldn't know their local governor or moff or garrison C.O. from Adam. But, to the public and to the Alliance, Vader is the Empire.

CT-867-5309 and BlackRanger like this.
  9. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    more of the population of the galaxy would know their politicians and governors than Vader. You’re conflating Vader’s image as a character in our world with his reputation in the Star Wars galaxy. We never hear of Vader attending rallies or being a symbol. Vader is not a public figure, I doubt anyone except the imperial high command and people he’s met personally knows of him

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I suppose, for my part at least in first referring to him that way, I might've been projecting a bit of headcanon. Frankly, I'm not sure what actual canon or old EU said about it, but I've always imagined that the galaxy at large would know of Vader, and know that he's definitely not someone you ever want to see in person. I always imagined that, while he might not be the most prominent figure in the Empire (aside from the emperor himself), he would certainly be its most prominent and feared enforcer

But again, hey, I suppose my headcanon is leaking a bit. Wouldn't be the first time I've had a hole in my head

BlackRanger and Sarge like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Certainly that's true in the Disneyverse, where a collection of in-universe art includes Vader on propaganda posters.

BlackRanger likes this.
  12. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Assuming he survived, he would've likely had no choice but to voluntarily turn himself in. Luke lands on Endor with Vader in his ship. How do y'all think the Rebellion will act if Luke tried hiding him, or Vader starts fleeing? As far as he would've been concerned, he was now Luke's prisoner even if Luke didn't see it that way.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I agree with Kenneth Morgan. Vader is the face of the Empire, specifically because his appearance is so striking. His mask is literally the face of the Empire.

Plenty of Americans don't even know their own politicians, and we live in a democracy. I imagine even fewer Imperial citizens would know theirs.

To be honest, I don't prefer Vader as the public face of the Empire, I prefer him to be kept as more of a secret, but IIRC not even Legends went with that. I remember at least one example of him marching in a parade.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  14. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I don't really get the "he wouldn't resist but wouldn't bother turning himself either" aspect myself.

Not much of a redemption arc if he's half-arsed about the whole thing.

15. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Vader in a parade? Ye, gods...

Sarge likes this.
  16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    One doesn't need to seek out one's own execution to have redemption. Redemption is supposed to bring some sort of salvation. I think what Vader did in ROTJ was enough to earn it. I don't think it requires his life, especially after surviving the throne room. I think it would be okay for him to hope he can just retire to a quiet life catching up with his children.

I don't think it was possible for him to survive his redemption, anyway. I think letting go of the dark side meant his body was going to give out, even if he didn't get hit with Force lightning.

17. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    well this bit I agree with.

18. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    No, I think he'd hide out on a remote planet with an ancient Jedi temple and scatter pieces of a map leading to his location as clues in a galaxy-wide scavenger hunt. ;)

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But does he appear in the final film, wearing a bad wig?

BlackRanger likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's true to us, the audience. To the people that live in the galaxy, he's just another cyborg who happens to have a position of power in the Empire.

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    These are big operatic characters , handing himself into the authorities just wouldn't be on the agenda.

22. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Think of it like a military parade ala the stuff totalitarian governments do in this day and age. Like you'd have a band and singers extolling the wonders of the Empire, people waving the flags of the Empire. Stormtroopers and Moffs marching in huge columns, and the Emperor watching with Vader behind him.

OR, Vader is leading said column. Either way, it's a military parade, not a Mardi Gras parade.

Right, the average politician, but you and I know who the Vice President is, right? The second most powerful person in America? I would imagine that's roughly what Vader is.

Tangent: Hold up a tick... if Imperial governors/Moffs ruled their own planet... then that means Tarkin willfully blew up an Imperial governor ruling Alderaan...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Not necessarily. I was under the impression that governors ruled whole regions, not just one planet.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right. Tarkin described the governors as controlling their territories. Each territory is like a state.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Yep, depending on how much canonity we can imply to the Infinity Comics from Dark Horse for alternate scenarios, think it's even possible that there would have been amnesty for Anakin. Of course depending on how much of help he would have been to the NR against the remnants of the Empire.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk