main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Fatigued, to be honest [face_sigh] I don't want to sound like a hater, though. The premise is interesting enough, but I wish the ongoings could have an arc or two to breathe and do wholly their own things again, instead of being tied into yet another event...

In other news you could bet was coming:
    Mando and Grogu Return to Marvel Comics in New Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season 2 Adaptation

iPodwithnomusic and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's strange that Marvel have gone as heavy as they have on the SW books with the event / tie-in arc / event aftermath-next event prologue / event cycle.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well at least it's just the four series- there's still a bunch of series doing their own thing not tied to anything in particular (except the THR comics sort of).

4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think I’m going to be happy to sit out this next event and it’s connected issues. The Crimson Dawn stuff is mildly interesting within its own titles (pacing issues aside) but when it spills over into the other series it feels disruptive. I can’t imagine this will be any better.

5. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    On the other hand, if there weren't a series of massive crossovers going on, how much do you want to bet that the criticism would instead be that the post-ESB series are "uneventful"? Feast or famine. I'm just looking forward to seeing how insane all this gets before the crazy train finally pulls into ROTJ Station.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's a pretty false either-or you've set up. You don't need events to do ambitious stories. Immortal Hulk being a recent case but there's other runs underway like Zdarsky on Daredevil that has had one big event but that looks to be it so far. The X-books tend to do more events but even they haven't had this kind of sequential events structure. It does stand out amid their other products.

Crossovers are pretty much there to get you buying books you're not getting. And they must work well enough because they keep doing them. Marvel are very good at keeping the continuity whirl going and it can be very entertaining.

SyndicThrass likes this.
  7. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm really talking about fan reaction rather than actual content. Of course it's possible to do an ambitious story outside the crossover format. But how many people were still insisting that "nothing of consequence" was happening in the comics even while things like the Battle of Mako-Ta from SW #50-55, or Soule's outstanding Vader run, were going on? Crossover events, for better or worse, draw eyes, which in turn seems to mitigate that criticism.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Do not open that box! It's really one to keep closed.

One byproduct of many SW books - and Marvel are certainly pumping them out - customers may tend to focus on the ones deemed to "count" the most. Which can hit the miniseries or books not in the event cluster.

It remains strange that Gillen's SW has yet to be OHC / omnibused.

9. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Was that the lot that nabbed a SSD?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup!

Based on/near Freeworld, which is now on the map.

12. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    These events should only happen a minimum of every two years, not two MONTHS.
    Endless crossovers made me stop buying comics in general, & I’m fed up of this. Connection can come from nods, doesn’t have to be mega crossovers all the time.
    Vader Down worked really well, since WOTBH, it’s just been one long crossover.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Endless events can certainly end buying corporate superhero comics, but there's so much other material pit now they don't have to end an interest in comics.

14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    As @Jedi Ben said this is probably just a way to get people who are reading the Star Wars and Darth Vader series to pick up the Aphra and Bounty Hunter series as traditionally it seems comics about non movie characters get about half the sales as series with Luke, Leia, and Darth Vader in them. That of course doesn't seem to include series set in different time periods as High Republic was getting even better sales than those mainlines were (it seems series focused more on expanding the timeline has some people get them that don't even read stuff about the movie characters).

Darth Corydon and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I have definitely gotten event fatigue from Marvel super heroes comics, particularly around 2013 when they had Original Sin, AXIS, and Secret Wars all happening back to back or even overlapping.

But I don’t think it’s been as detrimental to the Star Wars comics yet. War of the Bounty Hunters has so far been the only event I’d consider a true crossover since all the series were heavily tied into the plot. Since then I don’t think Crimson Reign and Hidden Empire have been too much of a distraction for each of the series:

- Star Wars: hasn’t really been impacted by either event
    - Darth Vader: tied in to Crimson Reign but since then has been following it’s own plot
    - Bounty Hunters: tied in to Crimson Reign but in a way that naturally continued the existing plot
    - Aphra: tied in to Hidden Empire in a way that enriched the Spark Eternal plot rather than detracting from it

I’m actually happy when the stories are loosely tied across the four series. I love when events are developed across multiple series or novels, like the Battle of Jakku or Operation: Cinder.

I also don’t think there’s really a concern about having too many stories in one year, since the three years of the Clone Wars are very densely packed, even more so in Legends. As long as we’re getting good stories I don’t really care how densely packed the timeline is.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
    MercenaryAce and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. KirKanosForever

KirKanosForever Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2008
    To an extent, I think it's probably worthwhile to fill up the year between ESB and ROTJ with quite a few things. I don't think Legends ever entirely justified "here's why it took a year to get Han back" when they knew where he was going the whole time, and I think so far, Marvel isn't making you read everything to figure out what's going on.

iPodwithnomusic and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    I really think that they need to cut down on Star Wars titles per month.

JediFett10 likes this.
  18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    naw if anything if there trying to flood or compeat with there main super hero line we need more

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, if they can get away with more, they will.

But very few people read Marvel's entire line, selectivity is required.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  20. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Do we really because the quallity would decrease drasaticly

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, that is far from assured, especially with Marvel's resources. They can put out more books just fine, the problem is how many books are people willing to buy month in, month out?

Darth Corydon likes this.
  22. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Near Mint Condition just announced a High Republic phase 1 omnibus!!

Collects The High Republic #1-15, Trial of Shadows #1-5, and Eye of the Storm #1-2.

I’m so excited for this and can’t wait to have all of the phase 1 novels and comics in hardcover.

lordpixie and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, in that case I'm holding off on the Phase II trades.

But great news. Shouldn't be a monster price point either, probably be the same as Aphra Omnibus 2.

24. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Shame it wont have The High republic adventures issues but i'm sure Dark horse will make an omnibus to go with the marvel one.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It is suspected they already have!

There's a DHC High Republic Adventures Complete paperback due Sept but its current listing doesn't have everything.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023