main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit So if the EU was still going right now where do you think they would be?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AvarandElzarsittininatree, Apr 16, 2022.

1. I think the EU/Legends Fanbase is still going strong despite not receiving any New Legends content after almost 10 Years except for SWTOR Video Game and the Marvel Star Wars #108 Comic i know that the EU/Legends Fanbase is a niche community and is a minority the New Canon/Disney Universe Fanbase could be considered more Mainstream but i think that despite everything the EU/Legends Fanbase is healthy we will see if in 20 Years it will be the same

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2023
    AusStig likes this.
  2. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Readership of individual pieces of EU material will continue to grow, but the fanbase focused particularly around that timeline will continue to shrink overall.

The most engaged new EU readers will be those who are also enthusiastic about recent books, comics, shows, etc. New fans who grow disillusioned with the franchise's direction will most likely just find a different IP rather than search for a different timeline.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    Riv_Shiel and AusStig like this.
  3. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I could see specific books continue to be read but an overall following of the EU canon will grow smaller as time goes by. Especially once the people who were adamant followers of it's canon get older.

4. I get the impression that most people just dont like to Read Books its more easier to watch a Show or a Movie than Read a 200 Page Book im saying this in general not just for Star Wars maybe some New Fans are not interested in Reading the EU/Legends Books because they consider too much Material that is not considered Canonical with the Disney Universe i personally enjoy a Good Story regardless if its Canon or not in the end everything is Fiction for me is somewhat difficult to Read the New Canon Books and Comics because Disney has already contradicted Comics and Books before and they do not give me confidence if i Read a New Canon Book i will always keep in mind that they can contradict it in a Future Show or Movie i think some Fans might be interested in the Post ROTJ EU if they dont like the Disney Sequels or the New Canon Post ROTJ Timeline

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2023
  5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    This recent comment from Filoni stands out to me.

Depending on what specifically he’s drawing from or adapting I could see the old books being kept in the zeitgeist for a while longer.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  6. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    TBH I just wish the continuity people (Leland etc.) still took questions about Legends, if only every once in a while. There's still a few things I'd love to know - like, the Reader's Companion has a new timeline for the Clone Wars novels to accommodate TCW, so was one worked out for the comics too? Just little things like that.

7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yep well the constant flood of questions of 'will legends come back' and then getting upset and making a rude response back to them when they don't get the response they want to hear kind of did away with that.

8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Oh, there was a specific incident that made them stop taking Legends questions? Never heard about that before.

9. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Not sure if there was a specific incident but for a few years after the announcement that legends was ending there were vocal groups of people about it. Nothing wrong with being vocal about it but you still need to be courteous and some of them definitely weren't. Honestly a lot of the incidents that you hear about people like Pablo being rude just stemmed from him trying to respond to even more rude fans

10. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Given the recent advances in GPT tech, as well as voice synthetization, and (I imagine soon in the future, home developed CGI and the like) the possibility of relatively "quality" EU adaptations-at least by dedicated fans seems like a small hope for the EU to be kept alive, and possibly its audience to grow. Though how many EU fans would be willing to commit to such projects, especially as it will take at least another decade for those technologies to mature, is hard to say.

That said, I have my doubts. I think the EU will have a small dedicated fanbase, at least in total numbers of a several hundred to a few thousand people, for a long time. (I mean there is an ongoing NJO crossover fanfiction, on another site that started back last December). So, a niche fandom surviving at least another decade or so is definitely possible.

As for my part, I imagine I'll be in that fandom, as long as it lasts. I can't speak for everyone here, but the EU was too seminal for me, and I love it too much to forget, at least until it passes into memory. As all things must do.

11. The most likely thing is that if the EU had continued we would have obtained TFU 3, the Sword of the Jedi Trilogy, Battlefront 3 that had TFU Games references im not sure about the rest maybe 1313 but im sure that Game was going to contradict the Young Boba Fett Novels and that was more related to TCW Show maybe if the EU was continued we would have seen Crazy Retcons so the EU can Fit with Lucas ST maybe even more TCW references in EU Novels and Retcons in Multimedia Project Stories i feel like the EU would have been in a Weird area if Lucas had stayed in charge i think it was for the best the EU would not continue if doing Retcons was the fate of the EU

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2023
  12. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah it would have been really weird if the EU stayed canon yet the Lucas trilogy gave absolutely no indication that characters like Jaina......etc.......etc.......even existed. And even worse than that mentioned kids Han and Leia had who were never in the EU. Chances would have probably been pretty good that Keira would have been Han and Leia's kid in Lucas's trilogy

I don't think there was anyway to salvage the post RotJ EU regardless of who made Episodes 7-9.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
  13. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    It wouldn’t have been especially difficult imo, you’d just need someone who cared enough not to go out of their way to contradict it. Obviously that was never going to happen, but in a hypothetical universe where it did I don’t think following the EU would have particularly hamstrung the sequels.

14. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Maybe. But it would really be difficult to consider the EU as taking place within the same universe as those movies when the story of Han, Luke, and Leia (and their offspring) from the movies in no way correlated to what the books said about them and their families.

And no Lucas wouldn't have followed the EU. At best he would have just taken things here or there but he outright said that the EU wasn't his continuation of the story.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    darklordoftech likes this.
  15. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I mean again, if we're talking about what would realistically happen if no Disney buyout happened, the EU would've continued along and it would've been retconned to fit around the Sequel Trilogy. We'd still be getting FOTJ sequels, and Legacy #3, #4, etc, but it would've all been repaired with a lot of retcons. Presumably the Lucas Trilogy would've kickstarted a new post-LOTF/FOTJ era focused on its own characters, probably with more multimedia material alongside it. It would be messy, but that's how LucasFilm operated before 2013, and there would honestly be no reason to change what functionally worked in Filoni and Lucas' eyes - keep the old fans by feeding them sourcebooks that blends everything together with plastic glue, picking things they like from the EU and ignoring the rest while still somehow making it fit. Grievous' old backstory was retconned to fit in with a whole new backstory, within a single Filoni commentary track.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  16. The most important thing about the EU in my opinion was the Post ROTJ Timeline the EU would be in big trouble if Lucas had contradicted the EU with his New Movies which he probably would have done if that had happened i am sure that many Fans would have complained if with TCW and their Retcons with the Multimedia Project there was some problems contradicting the entire Post ROTJ EU it would have been bigger and worse i believe that an EU Reboot with Lucas would still have happened or the worst case scenario continue to maintain the Canon Levels and the EU was still "Valid" even if Lucas ST would have contradicted many Stories i think that the Lucasfilm before Disney was afraid of considering the EU as Non Canon because maybe they believed that they were not going to receive more Money from the Fans who liked the EU the best thing was to make the EU an Alternate Universe to Lucas Universe and allow the EU to continue as a Parallel World

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2023
  17. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The EU had built in escapes already via Flowwalking setting up a timeloop that can easily keep part of the EU that contradicts the ST in the loop and outside all remains... nothing gone or overwritten. Likewise clones and imposter arcs were readily there to return dead characters or else.

It all depends on the timeline spot Lucas would have chosen for his ST. Would he pick the real world actor ages fitting timeline spot like the Disney ST tried? Would he go later to leave the EU be somehow with retcons?

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Was Lucas preparing his own ST? I haven't seen any evidence of that.

As it is, I think the wheels were coming off-at least as far as strict continuity was concerned, wherein paradoxically the EU had never been more cohesive. There was the Talon/Maul game which would have been a pain to harmonize, TFU III apparently was apparently going to be some sort of open world game-and TFU II was on the borderline of contradicting the films, TCW killed off Evan Piell, and was ignoring EU content as much as Filoni was mining it.

They were going to give Denning another trilogy, this was despite the discontent and budding disinterest that had been growing during FOTJ and Crucible(to the point I remember reading reviews where people were simply tired of anything to do with Denning or the big three).

I think the best EU content would have been Legacy Volume 2, Dawn of the Jedi, and that 1313 video game, and maybe the occasional other release. The post NJO EU was spinning the wheels into just total creative bankruptcy. Sooner or later though a major retcon was in the cards, or they might have embraced a more comic tier, "one setting many possible stories"-especially if Denning ever got round to making Legacy non canon.

Its unfortunate because there was good stuff as well, and the potential for more, a new author (Tim Lebbon in DOTJ), the Invasion comics-which meant the NJO era might have come off the backburner, and so on. So I have to say the EU's direction seems to have been mixed but leaning towards the negative. I think assuming no disney buyout or Lucas independent ST-the EU would have had another set of retcons or restructuring by 2017 or so. What the EU would look like hypothetically today is hard to say, but I would guess it would not have necessarily been an EU people into it in 2012 would have liked.

19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    See Star Wars Archives: The Prequels for interview that also has details on what he planned.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

20. Lucas said that Maul was alive in the Post ROTJ Timeline and that he was the leader of an Underworld Organization and that he was Very Old and that he trains a Girl Darth Talon she would be the New Vader there was a Concept Art of Darth Talon Seducing the Son of Han Solo

I dont understand why you say that TFU 3 would have contradicted the Movies the Galen Marek Clones Fit Very Well with the EU Post ROTJ Timeline with Dark Empire Palpatine Clones, Joruus C'baoth , Luuke, Jaden Korr in the New Canon Palpatine also tries to Replace and Test Vader according to what i have read TFU 3 could have had Multiplayer and that you could play as Darth Vader this time but in a Full Game in the New Canon in Rebels Show Ezra Bridger is a Jedi Knight and he helps the Rebellion before Luke and he was active until 1 BBY i dont think with Galen Marek it was any different in Legends

AusStig likes this.
  21. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    Is this the version with Thea/Kira and Skyler/Sam and Colonel Kurtz Luke, or the version with crime boss Darth Maul and Chosen One Leia, or the version about the micro-biotic world of the Whills?

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    As I've said before, Lucas had a lot of bad ideas. This would be utterly ruinous to any semblance of a continuity, especially if it were considered G-canon. I suppose with a lot of creative retconning, you could make something work. It would have been worse than TCW for the EU without a doubt.

23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I’m fully expecting The Force Unleashed 3 since the KOTOR remake is new Legends material

24. There is not more KOTOR Remake News since 2021 i hope is not Cancelled
    i could see TFU 1 Remake being made instead of TFU 3 since the Original Game is like 15 Years Old and in 2028 will Turn 20 Years Old

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A game with the level of problems attributed to the KotOR remake going radio silent is pretty standard. There'll be news when they actually have some to share.