main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Saga "Antigravity" | Song!verse AU | Kessel Run Challenge 2023

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade , Jan 13, 2023.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the scene with the wall. I have been there on various trips to the USA. And all drabbles about the clones are nice

Kahara, Mira_Jade and Findswoman like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh Mira, I absolutely loved every single one of these. It all felt so real. (Oh, and I loved the endnotes just as much as the stories!)

Handler
    This one in particular felt extremely realistic to me. It was very similar to the moment refugees sign their resettlement, complete with the government official working indifferently through the paperwork but standing up and welcoming them at the end.

Brother
    Very vivid and powerful imagery here with the immense wall memorial to recall one of the best story arcs of TCW as well as that amazing confrontation scene from AOSRS! Oh, and I'm completely on board with Fox & Riyo Chuchi, I don't even see why you'd call that a crack!ship 8-}

Shepherd
    My daughter will love you for writing this; she adores The Bad Batch and Omega is her hero. I'll translate it for her when she comes back from school [face_love]
    I see what you did there [face_laugh]

Juggernaut
    You know, back in the 1980s when the most extravagant grocery in Greece was the size of a one-bedroom apartment, we went to visit relatives in Philadelphia and I saw one of those humungous THINGS you call supermarkets in the US. I can completely identify with Rex here, and describing his visit to the store as a military assault doesn't even feel like an exaggeration.
    [face_laugh]

Undertaker
    Loved how, even in his attempt to become a proper, civilian doctor, Kix still confronts his studies in military terms!

Voice
    I don't see what's holding you back, it seems to me that this here was a mighty fine beginning. :p
    Also, it was really nice to see the clones from the perspective of the common woman, who can tell apart her lover, obviously, but also identify who is youngest and presumably other differences between them.

Reaper
    Fantastic merging of canon and AU here, with the other (original) verse seeping into Aayla's dream while Bly still has chip-induced nightmares!

Legion
    This whole story about Sentient Magazine's Top 100 Sexiest Consorts needs a fic of its own. And please take note: there will be riots if Matron Raav Otna doesn't appear in the flesh.

Resonance
    With my obsession about art and artists in the GFFA, this one was my favourite :D I had an inkling that the source may be "Gassed" from the description (I agree with you that it's an extraordinary painting) and it just felt so right for these clones who were created to be cannon fodder. And you know me, the little detail of the helmet that was specially varnished to allow for the brow-to-brow greeting made me squee! This was yet another powerful and moving scene, but now, for a bit of levity, you need to get to get to work on the sitcom!

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, look at you being all kinds of above and beyond with not three, not six, but nine whole double drabble prompts! :D Wonderful concept and themes here: this is what the clones truly deserve as a reward for their service and valor. And naturally it’s going to bring with it some “fish out of water” moments! The huge store! (Loved those zany soap brands!) Medical school! (Nuff said!) Bad Batch herding fuzzy ruminants! (Wrecker is really getting into it, isn’t he!) Fox as one of the Top Sexiest Consorts! (He’s really arrived! :D ) So much fun—but so many poignant and difficult moments too: the memorial wall, Bly’s nightmares, Jesse’s
    monumental painting, the hōngi-like tribute it inspired from guest after guest. And such a joy to see Amily again! [face_love] Once again, some really tour-de-force work with these prompts and these characters! =D

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Warm fuzzy couple moments & fun teasing amongst friends.

5. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Mom friends unite! Someone's gotta bring the snacks :p

Aw yeah :cool: I'm currently eyeing a tofu press. It's certainly a lot cheaper than a vacuum, but also it's not like I need it, you can press tofu without an actual press, but I kinda covet it :p

It's a pretty good book, too! I won't say it's one of my very favorites - we all know those are Zahn's books :p - but it's a solid read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those would be hard habits to break!

Aww! :_| [face_love]

Fives :_|

[face_rofl] You got all their voices just right, and I adore the idea of Wrecker being a happy and overly enthusiastic shepherd [face_love]

Understandable :p

There is rather a lot :p

[face_batting]

I like Kix [face_love]

I do this writing Mara, too. You've got to imagine that even ordinary soldiers with that sort of training and experience would have a hard time stopping those lines of thought, never mind people who were literally raised from infancy to do this sort of thing, the way Mara and the clones were [face_thinking]

That's right, Kix, you go get 'em [face_love]

So many types of coffee [face_coffee]

This is just such an excellent way to describe it!

"Sighing over their Jedi" [face_rofl] That was probably the number one clone pastime during the war :p

[face_love]! :kanan:

LOLOL I love it :p

:_|

Do I still get to point out how extra you are if I did the same this week? :p

I have heard this viewpoint from non-Americans before, and I believe it! I've never known anything else and there are still times when I stand in an aisle and think, do we really need this many varieties of shampoo, or potato chips that taste like everything from pickles to tacos? (And with all those chip flavors, I can still never find any cheese and onion flavor like Walker's [face_frustrated] )

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    *salute*

Thanks! I loved that detail, too. [face_love]

Thank you so much for pointing out the details you enjoyed! That really means a lot to me as an author. [:D]

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. I'd reckon quite high, myself. [face_whistling]

Thanks so much for reading! [face_love] [:D]

Thank you! [face_love]

Aw, thank you so much! The clones - and who they're allowed to be in this 'verse - is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I am thrilled that these drabbles resonated with you too! :D

Knowing your RL work, this just meant the world to me. Thank you! [:D]

lololl! My shipping is so bad that during a certain scene during a recent episode of TBB, I was expecting to see a different clone to be under that cloak entirely - if you know what I mean. [face_mischief] Fox and Riyo is a pairing I love to bits - just as much as I love seeing justice done for Fox as a whole . . . and Fives, too. =(( [face_love]

Aw! This honored me more than I can say. [face_love] I need to write more TBB fic now. :p

I couldn't resist. [face_tee_hee]

I didn't realize how American supermarkets were until I visited France! Even the larger marts in Paris were nothing as compared to our smaller supermarkets, let alone behemoth wholesale stores like Sam's Club. 8-}

I had no small amounts of fun coming up with those names. :p

You gotta run with what you know. :cool:

*adds rabid plot bunny to the ever growing pen of such bunnies 8-} :oops: *

That was the great thing about writing from Amily's perspective! The clones are so alike, enough so that I can see where interacting with them would be unsettling at first - like those moments when they all move in unison. But at the same time they're each their own selves, and it doesn't take long for anyone with two braincells to understand that - let alone for someone like Amily, who knows her Jesse intimately. [face_love]

Thank you! [face_love]

*obediently adds plot bunny to the pen*

Mistress Otna started as a punchline, but now I'm quite invested in her story myself. :p

Yay! I remember having quite a few quality talks about art with you back in the day with your own 'verse, so this made me all sorts of giddy to read. I couldn't resist the homage to JSS, and the brow-to-brow tradition, too! I'm still ridiculously proud of this drabble in particular, and thrilled to know that you enjoyed it too! [face_love] [:D]

I have been called extra before and can admit to myself that I indeed am at times. [face_blush] 8-}

Aw, thank you so much! You know what a near and dear subject this is to my heart, and I was all too happy to give happy futures to these characters who deserve so much more than what they received in canon. [face_love]

As always, I can't thank you enough for your lovely feedback! [face_love] [:D]

That's the good stuff, isn't it? [face_love] [:D]

lololl! You go on with your bad self and get your tofu press. :cool:

I will add that to my list. :D

[​IMG]

[face_love] [:D]

I can only imagine!

Don't mind me, sharing all of my clone feelings!

Fives! =((

Thank you! Wrecker is such a lovable oaf, and the idea of him happily herding small, fluffy animals is one I'm now fully committed to. [face_love] I'm not going to lie, I didn't really warm to TBB in TCW, and I was reluctant to dive into an entire show about them, but now that I have, they're near and dear to my heart and I loved giving them this bit of happiness along with all of their brothers. [face_love]

Right? I mean, to go from having every moment of every day planned to such an extreme, with having no choice whatsoever down to the little things in what you eat or drink or wear, to now having a newfound freedom in every regard that's so easily taken for granted . . . yeah, it's going to be a lot. [face_plain]

The variety of soap in our world is astounding, let alone when you're accounting for so many different species, I can imagine! [face_laugh] [face_hypnotized]

[face_mischief] [face_whistling]

I absolutely adore Kix, and was happy to give him better than canon here too. [face_love]

Exactly!

You better believe he will. :cool:

And thank goodness for every one! [face_coffee]

[​IMG]

^ is just all I think about whenever I write the clones experiencing new things - especially when it comes to food and drink! Can you even imagine discovering everything life has to offer after existing solely on MREs and other such bland, perfectly nutritious fare?

In the end, the mental violation of the entire clone army during Order 66 was just as horrific as the execution of the Jedi Order. Sidious went above and beyond in earning the title Darth with his machinations. [face_plain]

It's their number one pastime, I completely agree. Even Cody rolls his eyes at Obi-Wan more often than not, and Obi-Wan is rather tame for a Jedi. :p (That said, Cody also jumped on General Grievous' back and punched him in the face while the rest of his men dogpiled him. So the pot may also be calling the kettle black. [face_whistling])

[​IMG]

Like, I know that they heaped on all the feelings with Caleb and the clones of Depa's battalion in the Kanan comics (Stance! :_|) in order to make Order 66 hit even harder, but that made me all the happier to subvert that fate here with Commander Grey bragging about his Jedi. [face_love] [face_mischief]

I enjoyed writing every word of this more than I can say. :p

*passes tissue*

We are extra, and I just love it. ;) [face_mischief] :* [:D]

Alrighty! I will be back with more soon. :D

[:D]

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: I can't even begin to tell you how many false starts I had from my muse this week. 8-} More than one idea spiraled out of control and demanded to become a proper vignette. Heck, this one too could have benefitted from another thousand words or so, at least - but I'm staring down a new prompt on Monday and my fanfic plate is already well full as it is. So, after mercilessly applying the Red Pen of Doom, here I am. :p

That said, this week does require a bit of background knowledge. In short: in Of The Blood, it is revealed that Winter Organa is the Princess of Alderaan in this 'verse. The Organas also adopted a boy named Briant. After the war, as chancellor, when visiting the cloning factories on Kamino to decide what to do with the soldiers the Republic no longer had need of, Bail came across a 'defective' clone child. The child had a mutated respiratory system, and was the only surviving member of his batch - he couldn't communicate with anyone verbally. He was an outsider from his brothers for being so different, yet the Kaminoans couldn't just recycle him with the new restrictions the Republic finally managed to put in place on such practices. After some none-too-subtle coaxing by Shaak Ti, Bail left Kamino plus one. [face_mischief]

And that brings us to . . .

Week VII: "The Princess of Alderaan"

Winter Organa saw it coming, yet was powerless to intervene.

The inevitability of just such a confrontation had been growing for days. The Inner Core Trade Summit was a tedious affair (her mother’s words), yet necessary for Alderaan and the whole of the Republic's economy (her father’s). Still, it wasn’t the summit that was trying – Winter was truly interested in the minutia of the negotiations, and she grasped the particulars of the debates with an alacrity that was beyond her mere eleven years (her mother’s words, again). Instead, it was her peers who made the summit tedious to endure.

“Tedious?” Leia Skywalker, who accompanied her own mother as part of Chancellor Chuchi’s delegation, had rolled her eyes in a way that, as the Princess of Alderaan, Winter herself was not allowed. “You mean boring – and that’s at the best of times.”

At the worst, Yefram Zima – the thirteen-year-old son of the First Watchman of Anaxes – was not merely tedious, but downright taxing.

“All of Anaxes is sore because they lost their status as Watchmen of the Republic – the First Army became obsolete when the GAR was formed, and they’re still stewing for the supposed slight.”

Leia also recited her own parents' opinion – undoubtedly Master Skywalker’s – but with enough fire to make it clear that she shared his point of view entirely.

Winter couldn't help but agree, especially when Yefram went out of his way to make the summit miserable for her brother. Briant Organa handled the rude boy well enough; he mostly just ignored him, and when he did resort to a cheeky reply, only she could understand his signed words – which only infuriated Yefram further.

Day by day, Yefram’s insults turned all the more blunt and barbed, until -

“I hardly understand why the Ancient and Most Noble House of Organa suffered to extend their name to any of Kamino’s wet-droids – let alone a defective one,” Yefram sneered at their backs. Winter stiffened and felt, for the first, how Briant did too. “It should have been destroyed the same as any product that fails to meet a baseline standard for quality. It’s already bad enough that Queen Breha’s heir is a daughter of no-one and nobody, but that we should call one of those things a prince is unpardonable.”

Winter then became aware of two things: one, Briant’s hand made a fist, with her eternally easy-going brother finally taking insult for the words slandering her, rather than himself; two, as the Princess of Alderaan it was now her duty to put this bully in his place before the scene escalated any further.

. . . but, to her great mortification, she froze.

Leia Skywalker, however, did not.

“He's acting like I broke his nose,” Leia still protested, hours later. (Leia had apologized for hitting Yefram, but not for defending Briant. That had been enough for the Skywalkers, but not enough for the Zimas until the Skywalkers and Organas both demanded that Yefram apologize to Briant in his own turn.) “I hardly touched him, and he crumpled like a moof calf.”

Winter couldn’t hear the Skywalkers’ answer as she demurely followed behind her own family. Her regrets were heavy, and she remained silent through dinner and beyond. She was the Princess of Alderaan, she could not stop chastising herself, and she had dishonored the privilege of her station.

Shame, more so than anything else, kept her head bowed. She could hardly even look at Briant for how she'd failed her brother, no matter how he tried to catch her eye. It wasn’t until her mother was re-plaiting her hair at the end of the day that Winter found herself coaxed to share her troubles.

“I failed to act like a princess,” she muttered, hating every word she spoke and yet determined not to dishonor herself further with an untruth.

Breha hummed thoughtfully, and asked, “How ought a princess act?”

“A princess protects those she is sworn to serve,” Winter answered immediately. “She stands up against ignorance and oppression, yet I . . . I let that brute say such horrible things, and about my brother.”

Alarmingly, she felt her eyes burn as her perfect memory played Yefram’s words over and over again, skipping like a faulty holorecord.

“I failed to defend my brother,” once Winter started, she could not stop, “instead, Leia did. I am not worthy to be called the Princess of Alderaan if the likes of Yefram Zima can cow me into silence.”

Gently, Breha prompted, “What would you have done, had Leia not intervened?”

Winter blinked, taken aback. “I knew that Briant wanted to hit him,” she confessed. “To defend me,” she quickly added. “I could not let that happen – who knows how the Zima family would have responded? I would have taken Briant’s hand to sooth him, and insist that Yefram apologize. I would have gone all the way to demanding a Hearing of Honor, if necessary. That’s what I wanted to do . . . instead, I did nothing.”

When her last braid was set, Breha turned her to meet her gaze. “That,” Breha said warmly, “is exactly how a princess should act.”

“But,” Winter hoarsely protested, "I did no such thing.”

“Leia Skywalker,” Breha smiled wryly, “was merely faster – she beat you to the punch, so to speak.”

“I would have liked to hit him, too,” Winter admitted darkly. “That, I know, is not very princess-like either.”

“Wanting to strike bullies is very regal – just ask your father,” Breha teased, but then continued more seriously, “Having the restraint to handle conflict with words is even more commendable. I trust that, in the future, you will act with all the grace and wisdom as befits Alderaan's princess – and someday, its queen.”

Winter swallowed against the lump in her throat. It was more as Breha’s daughter than the queen’s heir that she let her mother pull her close, and sighed into her embrace.

“Do you really think so, Mama?” she whispered haltingly.

Breha brushed a kiss over her crown. “I know so.”

Winter does get to punch a bully in Of The Blood. [face_whistling] [face_batting] [face_beatup]

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous confiding between Winter and Breha. Winter's feelings are all too understandable in the moment and afterwards. And yay for Leia! She rocks! ;) =D=

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Breha and Winter. And with Leia Skywalker being friends with the royals

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Briant! [face_dancing] I remember him well, and it’s great to see him back! And your Winter, too! She doesn’t need to be so hard on herself; I’m sure Briant himself didn’t take her behavior amiss, and as she learns from her conversation with her mom, there’s more than one way for a princess to act in such a situation, and that having restraint in a tense situation can be commendable, too. (That said, Leia’s punch was no more nor less than that snooty brat Yefram deserved!) As Winter and Leia both grow up as women and as dignitaries, they’ll find their own balances between action and restraint—it’s truly a lifelong learning process! Great to see this corner of your ’verse back again; do most definitely keep it up! =D=

11. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Ahah, a Winter's tale!;)

[face_beatup]

Yup, I recall this from the books ...

and a sweetly charming end. Breha likely plaited her child's hair in her own style *pictures this*

12. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Reviewing Time!!

Week I-I (The Patient Gardner)

I think this line pretty much sums up the entire OT and Palpatine. Such symbolism, seeds growing in a garden. It's the perfect illustration of just how manipulative, and clever in those manipulations Palpatine really was in regards to his grooming of Anakin. Well done.=D=

Week I-II (Something to Protect)

I just loved the playfulness and levity of this story. And Mace having snow dumped over his bald head, and then actually trying to teach them how to play in the snow-classic! Wonderful job. :D

//
    Week II-Lost World

Oh, poor Leia. What a terrifying dream of what might have been in another life, but fortunately never was. Wonderful to see Anakin proviede that safe haven for his little princess so she feels comforted. @};-

//

Week III-Deniel and the No Good Very Bad Day

I can so relate to this! :p

Such resolve in one so young. But poor little Deniel, having everything go so wrong for him when all he wants is to succeed and make his parents proud. :)

I loved Anakin's ease and gentleness with Deniel. Beautiful story!:)

//

Week IV-Can't Take the Sky From Me

Loved the interaction between Anakin and Jaina. :) It's clear how much Anakin adores his granddaughter and how much of his flying skill she inherited. Well done!=D=

//

Week V-Theirs to Live and Thrive

Handler~
    Alderaan seem very fitting for Jesse and Kix; from the trauma of war to a place of peace. @};-

Brother~
    This one really struck an emotional cord for me as my uncle's name is etched on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall. :( Wonderful tribute to Fives. :)

Shepherd~
    That says it all, doesn't it?

Juggernaut~
    LOL!![face_rofl] I can sympathize with Rex. I have felt that way when heading into a gorcery store. :p

Undertaker~
    I sort of loved the way Kix approached everything as a trooper despite being free and knowing he didn't have to approach things that way any longer. =D=

Voice~
    Right there with ya! There are so many to choose from. [face_love]

Reaper~
    Aayla! One of my favorites. Nice to see her show up!:D

Legion~
    OMG, this had me [face_rofl][face_rofl]!!

Resonance~
    I really felt this one. @};- Art therapy has positively affected so many people experiencing PTSD. Lovely fic!

//

Week VII-The Princess of Alderaan
    Love the relationship between Winter and Breha! And Leia!! :D

Loving these stories and this timeline! Can't wait for the next entry. =D=

Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Clones, clones everywhere! I didn't know about Briant yet, but it's such a inspired idea to cast a clone as Alderaan's prince. It just stands to reason that those millions of men would be absorbed at all levels of galactic society, so why not in a royal family too?
    (...)
    Some parent's word too, I imagine! With her perfect memory Winter would definitely have learned a lot more big words than your average eleven-year-old, but it was really fun seeing the cogs of her brain at work here, reusing the phrases that she heard from her parents.
    Ugh. What a sorry excuse for a nobleman and a human being. He deserved a lot more than a punch on the nose IMO.
    Lololol, I love this version of Leia.
    I'm not entirely sure she shouldn't demand a Hearing of Honour, even after Leia punched the brat and the Organas got an apology. I'm kinda hoping that it's the sort of hearing that carries a lot of humiliation for the recipient [face_devil]
    Haha! Queen Breha sure has a way with words :p
    Maybe not princess-like, but perfectly legitimate. And I can think of a number of prank options that would put the little jerk right in his place.

=D=

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Isn't she just the best? :cool: :leia: I'm so glad that you enjoyed this piece, as always! [:D]

All the good things. [face_love]

Indeed they shall! Finding that balance is ever a lifelong pursuit, but they are on the best path possible to apply themselves and learn for the better. [face_love] I do love writing in this little corner of my 'verse, and so happy to hear that you enjoyed returning here as well! [:D]

Ha! Indeed. :p

Thanks for reading! [:D]

Thank you for all of your kind words! [face_love] [:D]

Thank you! This is a metaphor - and a story - I am really proud of, in particular. [face_love]

Say what you will about Mace Windu, but if there's a Way To Do Something, he's going to do it Right. [face_mischief] Writing this bit of levity was so much fun!

Just as what could have been. =((

I feel like Deniel was speaking from all our souls. :p [:D]

Thank you! Sometimes we are our own worst critics and we need a friendly face to remind us that everything is okay. [face_love]

I adore their relationship for all its potential! [face_love]

[:D] [:D] [:D]

It's just so much sometimes. :p

After knowing nothing else from your birth, can you imagine trying to start over in peace? It was an interesting POV to explore, and I am glad you enjoyed it too! :D

Amen to that! [face_love]

She's one of my favorites too! I couldn't not include her. [face_love]

Once I had the idea, I couldn't resist. [face_tee_hee]

I didn't even think about this connection myself! But you're so right! [face_love]

Thank you. [face_love]

Aw, thanks for all of your lovely comments! [:D]

Exactly! It's easy to imagine that there would be a slew of adopted clone babies/children following the war's end, with there no longer being a need for soldiers. And for the chancellor's family to be one of the first to open their hearts and home, especially to take in a "defective" clone, felt fitting for this new era of the Republic. [face_love]

Just so! At first I wondered if Winter's voice was too mature for an eleven-year-old, but then I thought of her perfect memory and the idea of children repeating their parents' words further helped frame this fic. (Besides, Leia had quite the vocabulary and a bold way of speaking at ten in Kenobi, so that helped assuage my worries, too. :p)

Eugh, agreed. [face_bleh] And going back to children repeating their parents: Anaxes thinks it has reason for prejudice when they lost the privilege of being the host-planet for the Republic's standing army, and the younger Zima here is undoubtedly parroting the elder Zimas' words. Hate and bigotry is unfortunately a self-perpetuating cycle. [face_plain]

She's just the best in any 'verse, isn't she? [face_mischief] While Leia was quick to throw a punch, I like to think that she also saw Briant make a fist and struck first to save him from doing so. Could you imagine how the Zimas would have reacted, otherwise? One of my favorite things in Kenobi was just how insightful Leia was, along with being as bold as brass. :p [face_love]

Now there's a thought! [face_devil] I haven't thought this bit of headcanon through, but the first image to come to mind was Winter dueling Yefram with some kind of antiquated steel sword - that seems like a fitting Inner Core tradition, or I may just be too deep in writing Regency fic over the last few years. :p But I rather like the idea that it's something that carries a lot of humiliation for the recipient. [face_whistling]

OG Leia got her spunk from more than just her biological parents, I like to think. [face_mischief] [face_love]

Perfectly legitimate indeed! [face_laugh] And now I'm thinking of all sorts of follow-up prank options the kids can pursue next - because you know that they would. [face_batting] [face_whistling]

As always, I thank you so much for your kind words! [:D]

Alrighty! I will be back with more in a jiffy. :D

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: So, confession time: the prompt for Week Eight completely stumped my muse. [face_blush] Which is a shame, because it's a fantastic prompt and I want to do it justice - I'm still going to keep it in mind to see if I can tackle it in an ad hoc fic in the future. [face_thinking] For now though, I decided to take the "get out of jail free" prompt and wrote poetry - haiku, to be precise. This is a bit of a throwback to last year's Poetry Week, where I did something similar with An Epic In Twelve Parts. [face_love]

As always, I thank you all for reading and hope that you enjoy! [:D]

Week VIII
    : “A Song of Renewal”

The cadence of waves
    comes, goes, comes, and goes again –
    endless; eternal​

From a Certain Point of View (The Force)

Ani, can't you hear?
    Echoes of a kinder world,
    choked under your breath​

why did you tighten your fist? (Darth Vader, With No Answer For His Ghosts)

Calling you brother
    was never merely duty –
    but rather, a choice

you were are my brother; I love you (The Master to the Apprentice I)

Ten fingers, times two,
    resting on their mother’s heart,
    they sleep, hand in hand

Your Reason (The Skywalker Family)

Hungry is the night –
    sipping stars; gnawing on roots
    never quite sated​

if the Light is a temple, the Dark is an altar (Its High Priest)

Come home, little one –
    why must you carry mountains
    when, once, you climbed?

Trust me, I know (The Master to the Apprentice II)

Man-built soldier, know:
    you are more than a grenade
    waiting to be thrown

you are a life waiting to be lived (In Service Servitude to the Republic)

Ghost paint; petal crowned –
    With him you were never a
    symbol, but a name

he knew you as Padmé before Amidala (The Lady and the Knight)

Love, safe in silence –
    aloud, the ocean awaits
    even should you drown​

if I lost you in a dream, I will love you in one too (The Commander to his General)

You reach: high, higher!
    If the stars are fruit on trees,
    you will take up wings​

you’ve never been made for solid ground (Always Spectre Two)

Surrendering leaves,
    the old trees reveal their scars
    – you too will endure

remember, you may garb yourself in spring anew (Says the Left Hand to the Right)

We are still untold –
    rain falling on new green leaves
    waiting to begin

The Garden (Young Jedi Knights)

Son of suns and chains,
    you’ve known too many masters
    to be bound once more​

you shine much too brightly for the night (The Force to its Chosen Vessel)

Down the same mountain,
    many rivers seek the sea,
    beneath the same moon

From a Certain Point of View II (Anakin Skywalker to Darth Vader; Darth Vader to Anakin Skywalker)

Come, you bright souls – sing!
    Let us take our lost voices
    And speak loud again

A Song of Renewal (The Force to its Children)

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    You need to get serious cash money for such EXQUISITNESS! =D= [face_love]

17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Whoa, that's pretty darn amazing! Lovely collection of haiku here, and each one fits its subject to an absolute tee and really gives insight into each character, each scene, each moment in a few well-chosen words. Even the individual titles are mini-poems in their own right, which is a kind of cool touch! I of course am always a sucker for a good Force POV and love that we get to hear from both its light and dark sides here. Go you for taking our "get out of jail free" prompt to all kinds of next levels—major chef's kiss! @};-

18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Your hope is fulfilled, because I did enjoy them. They flowed beautifully!

19. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Beautiful poem! =D=
    This was my favorite. Anakin was never in his life truly free, was he? Not even as a Jedi.:_|

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Which one to choose? All are brilliant poems. Great work

21. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Mira I am deliriously behind on comments and responses to this thread and also a great many other things - but these poems, Mira!

Such insight and beauty and heartbreak in such an economy of words. So many complex and beloved Star Wars feelings.

This whole thing. And the way the title is a poem and a riddle in itself. And aaah, I'm incoherent with glee, and it's so well done.

How dare you

I need to process if the Light is a temple, the Dark is an altar for longer, and just - marinate in that insight

Again, how dare you. The Servitude is so clear and so ... economical. Perfect.

AND ONCE MORE. And that's such a beautiful insight there, those Anidala feels, and I have spent so many thoughts and words upon Vader and his unhealthy obsession and it's just kriffing gorgeous to be reminded that they loved each other and why and Mira, I can hardly take it

Perfect epithet, perfect poem, perfect title, perfect perfection.

I neither pace nor lie down, and I'll just gaze thoughtfully into the middle distance lost in my thoughts and your poems for the rest of the day.

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Aw, I thank you for the high compliment! [face_love] [:D]

Thank you so much! It was a really interesting exercise, the same as it was last year - especially writing from the POV of the Force! That's something you're particularly good at, which I have long admired in your writing, so I appreciate your kind words on those haiku, especially! I've come to have a real soft spot for this form of poetry, and completely have the KR to thank for that. [face_love]

Success! :cool: [:D]

Aw, thanks! Yeah, Anakin really just traded one yoke for another throughout his life, didn't he? :( Thankfully, in this 'verse, he chooses to serve the light, rather than feeling obligated to it in another form of servitude, even as Jedi. =(( [face_love]

Thank you so much! :D

lololll! Don't you even worry - I'm still ridiculously behind on my reviews for you too, going all the way back to your Black King series! But I'm determined to catch up, so just watch me. ;) [face_batting] [:D]

Yay! That's just what I was going for. :cool:

[face_laugh] [face_blush]

Don't mind me, just sneaking in a wee bit of pain with all the other feels. [face_batting]

I am still RIDICULOUSLY PROUD OF THAT LINE, so of course I'm happy it stuck out to you too. [face_love]

That's so good to hear! I had much stronger wording at first - in the original draft I scrapped a line about the slave-born and second-indentured leading an army of slaves, but I couldn't quite make it work as a haiku. [face_thinking] 8-} So I'm glad that servitude really said it all. [face_love] [face_mischief]

I KNOW, RIGHT??? As much as I love angsty Vaderdala feels - which you write the best! - this couple is a ridiculously romantic one, and their story is so sweet and pure at the core . . . you know, before the unhealthy obsession kicks in and completely alters the fate of the entire galaxy. (I wrote altar there first and had to correct it - Freudian slip, mayhap? [face_mischief] [face_thinking])

[face_laugh] [face_love] And that is the ultimate honor in any form! [face_blush] [:D]

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed these so much. [face_love] [:D]

I'll be back with Week 9 in just a minute. :D

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Author's Notes: The prompt for Week 9 was to write a dramatic monologue in 300-1,000 words! For that purpose, who could I better turn to than the Star Wars reformed villain most inclined to monologue, Darth Maul himself? Even as Zaed, some things never change. [face_mischief]

This ficlet takes place approximately 20 years post-AOSRS, after Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade announce their engagement. [face_love]

Enjoy! [:D]

Week IX: “Without Saying More”

Come now, Skywalker – you look as if I intend to gut you where you stand. Rest assured, you are quite safe from me.

I see you the doubt in your eyes, but when have I ever been anything more than a leashed old monster, gnashing toothless gums at you and all whom you hold dear? I give you my word that I am quite tame; I see no reason to turn intractable now . . . up to a point, that is.

Ah, you understand me. Excellent.

Yes: her happiness currently hinges upon you remaining hale and whole. As such, I will submit to her wishes until that is no longer her desire. Whatsoever is in my power to give shall be hers – and I expect you to uphold that same vow, up to and including your very life, for such shall surely be forfeit should you ever break this most solemn of oaths.

I hardly need say anything of the sort, I know. Mara is more than capable of defending her own interests. Once her mind is made, there is no swaying her – nor do I have any true wish to do so. She needs no champion in me, yet a champion she shall have. How can I be anything less? She is . . . I call her aubrett for more reason than one, as I suspect she may have told you. For there are lights aplenty in this galaxy, but she . . . it is a special kind of light that burns twice, that sustains itself with a star’s fusion at its core and refuses to be dimmed by any encroaching shadow. I could ever feel her light, even when he deemed she should not shine as thus.

Yes, you also remember that time. Her pains left her mute, but I could hear her – just the same as you, which is a mark in your favor.

My former master . . . he was never one to suffer any voice other than his own. I was to be a dumb tool, ready to leap at his bidding but never to question – so from my earliest memories, I did not. Oh, but what it was to hope for even a word of approval – of benediction – in return. He was a vine choked tight around me, robbing me of breath, so I became a creeping shoot of wring-weed to match. Blind, empty vessel that I was, I rejoiced in my shackles and gloried in the loss of my lungs! What need had I for my useless tongue when there was such power to be had, instead? Even when I was cast aside – freed, I better know now – my subservience was one I longed to be yoked under anew. Like a beaten akk hound, I would have turned over my belly and offered him my loyalty again should he have but whispered the command.

When he would not welcome me back, I snapped at the hand that once fed me to prove that I alone was worthy of being called Apprentice – how fruitlessly I raised my voice in defiance then!

Now, it's remarkable . . . singularly so, to truly hear and be heard for myself, rather than my fangs and claws. That is the gift she has bestowed upon me, and its value is priceless. I will never concede her flame to falter, nor will I tolerate her ever turning small and quiet again, not for anyone – not even the man she loves.

Your determination to do the same is no less than my own, you do not have to convince me – you've already amply proved your loyalty. Remain steadfast in your devotion, Skywalker, and we needn't ever revisit this conversation again. For I promise you: I am a far more agreeable as a friend than I am an enemy; it would behoove you not to cross me on this matter. Should Mara Jade even stumble on a pebble you could have otherwise removed from her path, her pain shall be yours a hundredfold.

Good. You know when to remain silent, too. I trust that I have made myself clear.

However, that is not the only promise I wish to make today. You see, I once thought the only thing worth holding onto in this entire galaxy was her. I could have happily existed for my aubrett and her alone, yet she has shown me differently. There is . . . contentment to be found in the service of others. I have a guardian’s blade for a reason, and though it has taken me years to understand why, I finally and fully know my true purpose now.

As such, it is my desire to swear my sword to you. This I vow: as long as I draw breath, I shall protect and serve your interests above all else. I will never remain silent and bound should she or her own ever have need of me. I would give my very life for her, and as you are now bound together as one, that oath is one I extend to you and your family, however it may grow.

I see that you are surprised by my words – perhaps you even wonder why? Let me elucidate the matter as simply as I may in order to put your mind at ease: you love the girl, that much is clear, and she loves you in return. Just the same, as for myself . . .

. . . well, anything more goes without saying.

EDIT: Apparently I used the title Needless To Say in last year's KR and completely forgot. So I tweaked that just slightly. :p

~ MJ @};-

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  24. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    DAMMIT MIRA HOW VERY DARE YOU.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

(I'll be back to catch up, but everything is beautiful, how did you make me love this dumpster fire, gaaaah)

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Ooh, more Zaed, and I love the way you're exploring his "protective brother" side—which he has! And it so fits! :D You pack so much into this brief monologue both about Zaed's relationship to Mara and to Palpatine (which really was barely a relationship)—and to Zaed's view on Mara and Luke's relationship. He's learned that even his aubrett ended up needing a relationship beyond aubrettship, and the fact that he not only accepts that but also swears to uphold that new relationship (a little like the Oath of Tyndareus, only self-imposed!) shows what a long way he has come. All while being as Sam Witwer-ish as ever (and you've really, really got his voice down). I have to say, your version of Maul is the one for me—keep up the fab work and keep the Song!verse coming! =D=

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023