main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. I dont understand why some Fans like to have a headache and just dont say that Multimedia Project and TCW are both different Universes i feel that the Fans who want to force TCW on the Multimedia Project Timeline have not Read the Republic Comics or Novels if you have Read the Multimedia Project and watched TCW Show is Very Easy to realize that both dont Fit well together i like TCW and i have seen all its Seasons i am not saying its a Bad Show but you simply have to Accept when a Product does not Fit into the Story of another Product

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2023
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's because TCW exists in Legends, and both it and its supplementary material were intertwined with the pre-existing material. Sure, you can headcanon it out if you want, but it's messy either way and officially TCW is in the same universe as the MMP.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  3. It stopped being the same Universe when Adi Gallia died on TCW Show even Filoni has said that TCW is a different Universe

4. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    There's been contradictory deaths/not-deaths for far longer than that tbh. One of the earliest was Dodonna IIRC.

5. The problem is that TCW contradicts the majority of the Multimedia Project and the EU that would no longer make sense or is keep only TCW in Legends or Multimedia Project but not both the easiest thing for everyone is to pretend that TCW is New Canon only yes Mortis Gods are mentioned in Fate of the Jedi but that doesnt mean the same events happened maybe Obi Wan and Anakin met the Mortis Gods differently in Legends Ahsoka is rarely mentioned in the EU that if you removed her Character the EU would stay the same you could say the same about Galen Marek but Ahsoka with 6 Seasons are irrelevant to the EU when TCW Season 7 came out no one bothered to clarify the situation in Legends they should have said that TCW is only part of the New Canon Universe if you think that TCW is Legends it doesnt make sense that Darth Bane has a Tomb on Korriban if he wanted to remain hidden and that his existence to be not known for some reason Korriban is now called Moraband but in the Multimedia Project that World is called Korriban how Boba Fett meets Jabba in Legends if in TCW Boba Fett is locked up in a Coruscant Prison in Young Boba Fett Novels Boba has never gone to Coruscant until 19 BBY when he plans to take Revenge on Mace Windu also in 19 BBY Boba has never initiated an Attack against Mace but in TCW Boba does this in 21 BBY if TCW is Legends why Aurra Sing does not use the Force or why Barriss Offee Returns to the Jedi Order Barriss in the Multimedia Project is in Anakin age and is more Kind in Revenge of the Sith Novel Obi Wan and Mace talk about the events of the Multimedia Project not TCW the same happens in the Last of the Jedi Novels im also sure that Boba met Bossk and Dengar differently in Legends from what we saw in TCW Version yes in Old EU Novels Boba Real Name was Jaster Mereel but then a Retcon explaining that Boba used Jaster name as an alias maybe to hide his True identity as a Jango Clone

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2023
    AusStig likes this.
  6. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Officially they're the same universe; that's a fact.

7. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    As someone who grew up with the Multimedia Project I don't think they contradict as much as people claim, and where they do you can just pick and choose.

Golbolco likes this.
  8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Also, a lot of later legends stuff, particularly the rpgs and sourcebooks like the Bounty Hunter Guide, did take TCW into account, so separating TCW from legends is almost as much work as integrating it.

...Even if I have to admit I outright forget TCW was pre-disney at times. Particularly since we never did find out what happened to the legends versions of TCW characters whereas they have been big in disney canon.

darthosaka, Vthuil, Slater and 2 others like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    TCW-Bad Batch-Rebels-Rogue One-Mandalorian are fairly Legends friendly anyway.

10. QuinlanSolo

QuinlanSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2019
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Although as I've mentioned before, I kinda feel like all the actual narrative material to mix TCW and Legends wasn't really that good. Like, it was basically just FOTJ (ick!) and some mediocre tie-in novels, as I recall.

MercenaryAce and AusStig like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean I adore No Prisoners, @Vthuil

darthosaka likes this.
  13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Weren't there also some TCW-centered web comics, comic books, etc. that came out during the early seasons of the show? Did they do any work toward integrating TCW with the earlier stuff?

darthosaka likes this.
  14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think they expanded on the episodes more and helped explain some of the lead-ins. I still consider them canon myself.

darthosaka likes this.
  15. But it still doesnt make sense just because a Company tells me its Canon with Legends doesnt mean that TCW Story Fits well with the Multimedia Project because it doesnt Filoni has already said before that TCW and the EU/Multimedia Project are different Universes
    What happened to the Legends versions of TCW Characters? simple they dont exist TCW events never happened in Legends/Multimedia Project Mandalore is a Desert Planet in Legends there is no a Kingdom or Pacifist Mandalorians in Legends , Ventress is a Rattataki in Legends in TCW Boba destroys Jango Helmet but in Young Boba Fett Novels he wears the same Helmet and Armor of Jango if TCW is Legends, why would Boba ally with Aurra Sing again if she tried to betray him in Young Boba Fett Novels? in the Young Boba Fett Novels Boba met Jabba in 22 BBY and was living in Jabba Palace on Tatooine until 19 BBY and according to the Young Boba Fett Novels Boba had never left Tatooine after working for Jabba until Boba goes on a mission for Jabba in Xagobah in 19 BBY if TCW is Legends when TCW events occur?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2023
  16. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Did he? Boba probably made a replica and claimed its his father's. Or its one of his father's spare durasteel ones. Mandalorian pretty much confirmed it's still Jango's helmet Boba's been wearing.

darthosaka likes this.
  17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I don't think anybody's claiming it fits well, but they're still within the same continuity. You asked why people believe they're the same universe; I'm pointing out that it's because they are the same universe.

It's messy, but it'd still be messy to try and excise TCW from Legends.

18. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I have previously outlined this in another thread a couple years ago, but I don't actually think that TCW and its associated tie-ins are separate from the Multimedia Project at all.

TCW was first announced at Celebration III as a 3D-animated third season of the Tartakovsky micro-series, which was described as a pilot. TCW is therefore an extension of the CWMMP, and its first two seasons with their respective tie-ins are largely reflective of this fact. Even as the show diverged more and more in the third season and beyond, it never left behind the CWMMP completely: even today with the show being finished and with a sequel series, there are gaps in continuity that can only be filled by events from the CWMMP.

There are plenty of conflicts, sure, but many people find satisfying ways to make it work in their own heads, and people will continue to do so because both projects are beloved, and whether we like it or not both of them are part of Legends continuity. It also seems like we've seen the creators lean into this as time has gone on with Canon, because they know that the CWMMP is beloved and there are probably some regrets about not making them more compatible earlier.

19. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Its definatly best to treat the first season of the Micro series as more or less canon. Second one just needs a minor timeline adjustment

darthosaka likes this.
  20. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    The early episodes in particular are clearly written by people familiar with the micro series, and the audience is seemingly assumed to be, as well. To allow Ahsoka to exist Anakin is Knighted early in the war, as he is in the micro series, and Ventress is treated as someone the characters and audience have already met.

21. According to Wookieepedia this is what Filoni said on TCW and Multimedia Project/EU: “Eventually Filoni would go on record to state that the Expanded Universe and The Clone Wars television series don't live in the same universe" "But there's never an implicit connection between the micro-series that Cartoon Network did previously and the series that we're doing now. I personally as a fan never think of it as discrediting any of the other material, it's just that other material is from a different point of view, a different look at the war and take on the war. It's an ever-Expanding Universe in a lot of ways" "Filoni made an appearance at Celebration IV on Sunday, May 28, 2007 with producer Catherine Winder in the Celebration Theater (Room 408AB), to discuss the beginnings of the new television series and reveal how The Clone Wars was being created. During San Diego Comic Con 2014, Filoni admitted that he knew about contradicting the Expanded Universe by establishing The Clone Wars as canon. In his defense, he said that they still included the Expanded Universe elements when they could"
    Filoni has said before that the EU/Multimedia Project and Lucas Universe are different Universes if one of the Main Makers of TCW says that TCW and the Multimedia Project are different Universes is because he is right

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2023
  22. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    A lot of those characters and events are confirmed to exist in Legends by non-TCW Legends sources: Restraint, Darth Plagueis, The Wrath of Darth Maul, Death Sentence, Son of Dathomir, SkyeWalkers, Book of Sith, The Jedi Path, The Bounty Hunter Code, The Essential Guide to Warfare, the TCW tie-in novels and comics that are explicitly Legends and not canon, etc.

My preference is to accept the TCW adaptations, tie-ins, and references as Legends but shunt the actual cartoon fully into canon, with similar events occurring off-screen in the Legends timeline only without all the contradictions.

23. The Darth Plagueis Novel contradicts Son of Dathomir Comic and Arc since in that Story they Reveal that Talzin is the True Mother of Darth Maul while Plagueis Novel is Kycina Darth Maul Real Mother i know that the Wrath of Darth Maul and End Game Legends Darth Maul survives Episode 1 but you could Retcon that Old Wounds is Canon to Legends and that Legends Darth Maul Story ends there you could Retcon that Legends Maul did not participate in the Clone Wars just because Talzin exists or Darth Maul survived in Legends doesnt mean the same events of TCW Show happened if TCW had not been Cancelled in 2014 the contradiction with the Multimedia Project would have been even bigger

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2023
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Though I think it'd be easier to excise TCW from Legends than to excise the microseries's canonicity to TCW.

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  25. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    I've decided that Clone Wars (2009-2013, 2021) and assorted media "within" its timeline are Canon myself. It's easier being excised so as to make the original Clone Wars (2003-2005) flow better, though I count the original Clone Wars microseries cartoons as Canon and Legends (with some adjustments in the second part relating to Nelvaan, per LoE [Legends] and S7 [Canon]). But of course, this is my own decision. I think it's easier that way (I've largely dumped the novels [with the exception of Tarkin, Lost Stars, Catalyst and the Thrawn novels] and comics from the Canon timeline personally because they just don't fit for me anymore (and they're being contradicted quite a bit anyway -- look at Ahsoka and Resistance Reborn [which had absolutely no bearing in my opinion towards TROS since none of the extra characters really appeared at all]).

darthosaka likes this.