main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Bits of lore from Legends that have been negated with Canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Galactic Bibliophile, Mar 20, 2023.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactic Bibliophile

Galactic Bibliophile Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2021
    Honestly I don’t know why but the fact that Canon has Ryloth as just an all-around desert world instead of the awesome tidal locked- one side hot and one side frigid- planet with the Twi’lek living in the middle to be very annoying.

Another example is that at Celebration Anaheim; Pablo Hidalgo confirmed all Hutts have one gender and were not hermaphrodites like in Legends. This one doesn’t bother me as much but it’s still odd.

What are some that bother you?

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  2. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    I was annoyed that Luke didn’t “pass on what he learned” and in fact somehow forgot all the lessons and character development he experienced in the OT and just followed in the footsteps of the PT Jedi instead.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    [​IMG]

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I guess if there's anything that I miss from EU lore, it's the idea (primarily from WEG) that stormtroopers were very mysterious. They had an unnerving degree of loyalty to the Emperor, no one was quite sure where they came from, etc. It lent stormtroopers an air of mystery that counteracted, to a certain extent, the fact that they were cannon fodder. It contradicted the Marvel comics, in which stormtroopers were usually buffoonish, bumbling bullies who called everyone "grubbers," but back then I didn't care.

Canon was clear early on that stormtroopers were pretty much just ordinary people, recruits and conscripts, and that makes sense. But WEG having stormtroopers be a little bit creepy and mysterious was a cool, fun touch. (Bear in mind this was in the late 80s, before I was aware of the stormtrooper in ANH that hit his head on a doorframe and almost knocked his own helmet off. The mystique would not have survived that, I don't think.)

5. iFrankenstein

iFrankenstein Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2020
    [​IMG]

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Both of those are because of The Clone Wars, to be fair; Ryloth was depicted without its tidally-locked attribute in the Battle of Ryloth arc, and Hutts according to Lucas had specific genders based on Mama and Papa the Hutt.

7. Galactic Bibliophile

Nov 24, 2021
    Oh wow. I didn’t know George changed it. From 2009-2011 I was anti-Clone Wars so I never knew that. Very cool. Okay. Thank you.

8. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    The Origin of the Sith. The idea the Sith were a red skinned species conquered by Dark Jedi who became Lords of the Sith. Now the origin is opaque, and the Sith is just a cult of the dark side.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  9. Galactic Bibliophile

Nov 24, 2021
    That’s a good one but perhaps will be fleshed out further in Disney canon someday

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sith_(species)

Darth Caliban and Kato Sai like this.
  10. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Still might have padawans that didn't die to Ben (sheev's ) lighting

11. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    I hope so. I hope Disney co-opts the OG origin.

Another is that Force Healing hurts the healer. That makes no sense.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The image is broken for me, but Luke's temple being destroyed and students killed doesn't mean he didn't pass on what he learned. Stang, Ben was a failure until he chose not to be. And Leia was fully trained but stepped away. And we literally saw an extended training sequence of Luke passing on what he learned to Grogu in an inverse of the way Yoda taught him!

Passing on what he learned =/= rebuild the Jedi Order

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  13. All the Mandalorians Topic in Legends and New Canon that was particularly contradicted on TCW Show but later Filoni brought elements of Mandalorians of Legends in Mandalorian Show

Luke having a Wife probably New Canon Luke will never meet Mara Jade or Marry another Girl since New Canon Luke follows Prequel Jedi Rules Luke probably doesnt have children in the New Canon and if he did maybe he never knew them

The Force in the New Canon feels like is more White vs Dark there is no Gray Area in Legends the Force could be interpreted in many ways in New Canon it seems that it is of Universal Law there is only the Light Side vs Dark Side Jedi vs Sith not more Force Philosophies beyond that probably something like the Je'daii Order or the Imperial Knights would never exist in the New Canon Universe

In Legends during 1000 BBY to 32 BBY it was considered a Time of Peace this is different in the New Canon with the High Republic Era in Legends the Republic no longer has an Army thanks to the Ruusan Reformation believing the Galaxy was at Peace after the New Sith Wars a High Republic Era dont exist in Legends

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2023
    Kato Sai likes this.
  14. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    The loss of Mara Jade is a travesty.

But GL did hate her, and Filoni is a disciple of GL.

15. clonegeek

clonegeek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2022
    Was GL hating Mara Jade ever actually proven or was it just all conjecture and things taken out of contexts. I forget.
    Also Filoni grew up with the Thrawn trilogy and most likely would have some fondness for Mara Jade

Kato Sai likes this.
  16. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    A writer close to GL (he wrote ROTS scripts) said GL hated Mara because Jedi are suppose to be monks. Its legit.

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    It was J.W. Rinzler. He said Lucas "couldn't stand" Mara Jade, didn't like the idea of Luke marrying, and didn't like that they used a supermodel to depict her.

18. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    That’s the name, thanks.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    J.W.Rinzler did the Making of the Force Awaken Book which was supposed to have GL's vision for the sequel trilogy but Disney never released the book and I guess they never will. Disney canon is in my opinion a joke

20. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    He didn't have "a vision"; he had a rough outline which kept changing. Some of his ideas are in The Star Wars Archives: Episodes I-III by Paul Duncan. And The Art of books for the sequels point out some of Lucas's other ideas, too, especially TLJ's.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  21. Galactic Bibliophile

Nov 24, 2021
    Oh wow. I never knew that. I get the whole not marrying because he was a Jedi part but whats the problem with having her be attractive? Luke is a good looking man (subjectively speaking) and I don’t see why she wouldn’t like him. I am not a good looking man but if I was Luke Skywalker, Hero of the Rebellion; I think my chances would increase anyway.

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Not that she was attractive; that an actual supermodel depicted her. It's playing into the generic trope of the hero having a super-hot badass girlfriend.

According to Rinzler:
    "George couldn’t stand Mara Jade, well he just couldn’t stand, couldn’t deal and they went out and got some sort of person who looked like she’d stepped out of a Cosmopolitan to be the model Mara and he just thought the whole thing was so not Star Wars and not his vision of Star Wars and once, I forget, I think Sue Rostoni between the novels told me or anyway told me they were killing off Mara Jade and I said ‘Do I get to tell George?’”

Dream-Thinker and QuinlanSolo like this.
  23. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I disagree with the force point

24. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Lightsaber Crystals. It use to be you selected a crystal from a cave, maybe on Ilum or Dantooine, not that your connection with The Force decided colors. Red wasn’t you bled a crystal, but was a synthetic crystal.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in Legends, there were plenty of synthetic crystals that produced non-red blades. Luke's green lightsaber had a synthetic crystal, as did Jaina's purple one, as did the white ones of the Imperial Knights.

Even the concept of "purifying a darksider's lightsaber" to change its colour in the newcanon, as Ahsoka did in the Ahsoka novel, is a carryover from Legends as I recall - with Jaden Korr's third lightsaber, a yellow lightsaber, being one formerly red and wielded by a darksider.

QuinlanSolo and Kato Sai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.