main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

Ahsoka Official Ahsoka Series Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by DannyD, Dec 10, 2020.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    At the end of the day, the Prequel Trilogy depicted the Jedi Order (at least in part) as a old, flawed, religious order that kept two of the protagonists from loving each other in an open relationship like they wanted.

That’s going to resonate with a lot of people, and I totally get why some would find it disappointing that this is something Luke tried reestablish instead of reform.

2. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree. IMO, the only aspect of Mara's storyline that can be used for Ahsoka is her regret regarding failing her master.
    Also IMO, but Mara's storyline in TT is rather self-contained and does not play such a big role in Thrawn's ultimate defeat, in that regard Karrde is a more important character.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What was depicted was a Jedi Order that was too set in its approach to teaching to handle someone like Anakin. The Jedi Code itself was not the problem. In fact, it was explicitly shown why it's a thing when Anakin allowed his greed free rein.

Healthy detachment is very real and should be promoted by popular fiction, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  4. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    What the was depicted in the Prequel era from the Jedi wasn’t healthy detachment. They made it clear that if you were a Jedi you could only love someone in a broad “all life is sacred” monk context and that anything deeper was incorrect and greedy in their eyes and would prompt expulsion as a response.

Yet we see in subsequent instalments that they’re wrong in this view. Kanan loved Hera, she was his partner and they formed a family together. There was nothing corruptive or corrosive about that love or those attachments and when Hera was in danger he was able to take a step back and allow Ezra to take the lead. That’s healthy detachment, and yet the Jedi of the Prequels would likely still disavow even that.

5. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Kanan found his own way and it worked. That's great. That doesn't mean that the Jedi way is wrong. It's just not right for everyone.
    Maybe Anakin should never have joined them. Or maybe he would've been a great Jedi if they'd adapted to his needs as a student and found a way to have him fully understand and embrace the Jedi Code. Ultimately, his problem was greed. It would've been a problem regardless of where/what he was until he learned to rid himself of it. It's not the fault of the Jedi Code that he sought to become the most powerful Force user ever, learn to stop people from dying and rule the galaxy.

The Jedi Code is perfect for those who want to follow it. Those who don't want to don't have to - but then they are of course not Jedi. And there's nothing wrong with that. We all have our own destinies.

theorenwulf likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    No, not “incorrect and greedy.” Just not conducive to a life as a Jedi, wherein the expectation is to show equal compassion to all. It’s not crazy for such an Order to forbid familial bonds that will lead to greater emotional empathy for one’s family over the broader population the Jedi are sworn to serve.

That doesn’t mean the Jedi believed it was greedy to have a family. It was just deemed a conflict of interest for being a Jedi.

But Anakin wanted to have his cake and eat it. Be a Jedi and be married. If he truly loved Padme, and wasn’t unhealthily possessive and ambitious, he could’ve left the Jedi Order and had a life with her.

7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    And like I said, the Jedi have been proven wrong in that regard because Kanan made it work just fine.
    We’ve got that example now in canon that there is a better and (in my opinion) healthier way to be a Jedi.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    An exception does not make a rule.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    And Kanan not living by the Jedi Code actually makes him a non-Jedi.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  10. Watcherwithin

Watcherwithin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2017
    Kanan stuck by the Jedi code, he and Hera didn’t settle down because of the war. If he had survived he would have retired as a Jedi

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, and that’s fine. What’s wrong with him being a non-Jedi? The Jedi themselves wouldn’t object to that.

I just don’t understand why the Jedi must simply be regular people with extraordinary powers. That’s a superhero. And that’s another genre. The Jedi are an ascetic spiritual order that serve a galactic public. Changing that simply gives you a different thing.

12. Im just saying that Ahsoka will have a role similar to Mara Jade i dont think Luke will Marry Ahsoka or other Character because New Canon Luke follows Prequel Jedi Rules i think Mara will not exist in the New Canon because Mara is closely related to Luke i would be very surprised if Mara Jade exists in the New Canon

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2023
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Characters inspired by Mara Jade and Talon Karrde might pop up. There wouldn't have to be any Force powers or Luke romance involved.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    People keep saying this, but I've never seen anyone post a source to back it up.

Except for that one person who posted a video by the Robot Chicken team that Lucas was in, not realizing that it was clearly a joke. :p

15. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016

34ish minutes in.

Bor Mullet and Lulu Mars like this.
  16. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    It would be cool if there was a schism in the new Jedi Order over the issue of marriage. The "no attachments" rule has been debated ever since AotC came out and I honestly don't know where I stand on it. Both sides make good points and, regardless of what Lucas intended, I don't think it is clear in the films themselves whether Jedi forbidding marriage was a good thing or a bad thing. One of the, perhaps unintentional, good things to come out of the ambiguity is that it makes the Jedi philosophy feel like a real religion with competing schools of thought within it. It would almost be a shame for there to be a definitive stance on it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    jc1138 likes this.
  17. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The OOU reason why they forbid marriage is probably that they are a monastic order, and that a number of real life orders forbid marriage, and GL was aping that.

I mean, the Catholic Church famously forbids marriage for priests. When you dig into the history of that though, it was to prevent father-son priestly dynasties from forming, at a time in history when priests held a lot of political clout. Nothing to do with "attachment".

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    George was right. Luke having a love interest post-ROTJ just never felt right to me.

19. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe it was also a thing in the EU, since Jedi starting dynasties ultimately resulted in one of them creating a Jedi Covenant with all of its shady activities, maybe it was one of the reasons why non-attachment rule was enforced between TotJ and KoToR.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, the Jedi not having families that they treat with greater importance than other people is central to who they are, and the role they play. Them having generalized compassion (or generalized empathy) as opposed to greater (emotional) empathy for close family is a good thing, in terms of that role. And if they want to love one person and have a family? Great. They can leave the Jedi Order and do that.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  21. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I never had an issue with it, because 1) the romantic attachment thing was only introduced in 2002 long after Luke and Mara had been a couple, and 2) because Luke himself in the OT wasn’t depicted as aromantic or asexual. In the 90s it wasn’t strange to think that he might have fallen in love and had a life with someone.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    After ANH, I might’ve agreed. But after ROTK, once Luke became a Jedi, it just felt right that his path would be one of a solitary warrior-monk.

23. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I agree. That romance always felt strange to me. It just... wasn't Luke.
    Especially when they had a kid!
    I could possibly have bought a more ethereal kind of love story; one that's mostly just a deep connection through the Force unlike anything Luke experiences with anyone else.
    But this ordinary family thing? It's weird.

cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Even as far as ESB they were still toying with his attraction to Leia, so I never got the sense that he was indifferent to any of that.

Come RotJ Luke’s essentially dealing with the emotional enormity that he’s been lied to his whole life and that the father he idolised is actually the most evil man in the galaxy and then resolving to save his soul. There’s no time for romance in that story, because the dramatic priority is Luke’s relationship with his father.

But even then….I never got the sense coming away from that film that Luke would turn away from romance and family. Especially when so much of RotJ is about how family is a virtuous and redemptive force.

25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    As everyone knows, it's impossible to be spiritually "pure" and moral when you experience love and attention regularly. Instead, spirituality is only possible absolutely alone, or when occasionally visiting a brothel.