main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Got a question? Ask it here

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kabers, Nov 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If they are funded by the Republic (which makes sense), what they are bound to depends on the "contract" they have with the Republic. In any case, no, they are not less beholden to the Force for guidance. The Force is their guide. They don't seek guidance from the senate or the politicians. They are the ones who guide and advise, not the other way around.

It's clearly established that the Jedi don't have a say on the politics of the senate. Their role is separate from that. It's also established that the Jedi as a body have a certain independence, something that Palpatine undermines and attacks directly in ROTS.

2. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    It's interesting that I've never heard of the financial dept of the Jedi Order, that could be an intriguing tale to tell. We've seen things like the agri-corps, the librarians and custodians and other staff but never the number crunchers. Perhaps it's just one jedi master who has singular skills in book balancing and the Force guides him in his daily spreadsheet duties as he allocates and distributes the Republic funds to the different missions.

Jedi Master Pointdexter.

BlackRanger likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Accounting is for droids." - Obi-Wan Kenobi (probably)

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Yoda waives hand in front of Coruscant tax accessor "Pay no taxes we shall"

Sarge and Bor Gullet like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve heard that ROTS was initially filmed with Anakin turning to the Dark Side in the “you’re the Sith Lord!” scene, Mace walking in on Anakin and Sidious, and Sidious throwing his lightsaber to Sidious, which Sidious then uses to fight Mace. How did the Mace vs. Sidious duel end in this version?

BlackRanger likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That independence must be limited if the Order has to depend on the Republic to finance their temple, equipment, support people, supplies, ships, electric bills, etc etc. Before the PT, I never imagined the Jedi would have so much ostentatious stuff which required considerable financial aid from their political benefactors. They'd be better off as poorer monks with real independence, IMO. Trust to the Force to provide that which is needed and don't get tangled up in politics.

BlackRanger likes this.
  7. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    I guess the first "Sidious" in "Sidious throwing his lightsaber to Sidious" should read as "Anakin". (Unless there's even more stuff going on with clones than I'd gathered.)

I vaguely remember reading something about Anakin stabbing Mace Windu in the back at the end of the duel when he threatens Palpatine, but I'm not sure if that's correct. I also think probably Sidious used the Force to snatch Anakin's lightsaber from his belt, while Anakin just stood there for most of the duel, unsure whom to help, until Mace apparently got the upper hand.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    Sarge likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are public servants, so their expenses are covered by the Republic. However, the independence and autonomy they have is in how they operate. Those are internal decisions that the Republic or the Chancellor has no say on. The Republic is trusting the Jedi with their service and wisdom.

I think it's pretty clear that the Jedi themselves are not ostentatious at all and don't have possessions. They live a very humble life. The Order lives off from a temple, and they do have extensive resources so that they can fulfill their duties. It's really no different than many other monastic orders across the world, who have simples lives, without many possessions. But they do have temples that reflect their spirituality while also serving as shelter for their entire order, and even very large libraries that they inherit and maintain for centuries.

Riv_Shiel and Count Yubnub like this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It doesn't matter who holds the title to anything the Order uses. As long as they're counting on political systems to supply their needs, they must be beholden to politicians. And we've seen how that eventually played out.

BlackRanger likes this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They are beholden to the Republic, and that also includes the politicians that represent the people. The Jedi don't get involved with the political process of the Republic, and the Republic doesn't get involved with how the Jedi choose to operate and do their job. There's a mutual respect, trust and understanding. Palpatine tarnishes all that at various levels.

The Jedi Order and the Republic form a symbiont circle, as Lucas would say.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  11. The Emotional Jedi

The Emotional Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 18, 2021
    Small question:

I've never read the comic adaptations of the Prequel Trilogy. Since the story Is the same as the movies, I don't think it's important. However, I know there are some small differences between the comic adaptations and the movies themselves. So... Is there a list of the changes, an article or something that talks about this? I'm curious.

I'm talking about the LEGENDS adaptations, not the Disney ones!

12. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Did they re-do the PT adaptation comics in the Disney era? I would've thought they just re-released them under Marvel copyright.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe they did both - re-released old comic adaptations (sometimes with re-colouring, such as for the OT) and did new graphic novel adaptations.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Episode_I_—_The_Phantom_Menace_(HC_2016)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Movie_Adaptations

Bazinga'd and BlackRanger like this.
  14. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Has it been explained in Disney canon how Maul lost his criminal empire and ended up stranded on Malachor in Rebels?

15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Not yet. Currently his story goes Siege of Mandalore -> Crime boss of Crimson Dawn in Solo -> Stranded on Malachor.

In Son of Dathomir, he lost the support of much of his Shadow Collective, but offscreen by Season 7 of TCW he'd strong-armed most of them back into his employ. This is probably a remnant of the original outline of events, where Maul would have been forced to rely on Mandalore only, leading to his position in the Siege, but the need to sync up with Solo led to some minor script tweaking.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  16. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    Dooku uses force choke on Obi-Wan during the ROTS duel. Why don’t force-users attempt this more often?

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    @Darth Weavile
    My conjecture here: choking someone takes time. Doing it with the Force also requires concentration. A duelist's time and effort are much more lethal and efficient when used to attack with a lightsaber. If a Sith is choking a Jedi, I'd imagine the Jedi's standard response would be a quick saber attack to break the Sith's concentration. So a smart Sith should only use choke when he has enough distance to prevent a quick saber strike. A smart Jedi should know that and avoid being put at a vulnerable distance.

Also, a Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack :yoda:, so only Darksiders would even consider it.

18. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    The force was with Dooku in that moment.

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    My theory/headcanon is that if one Force user chokes another Force user, then the victim can just use the Force to counter it and free themself. But.....I believe this is contradicted by the Obi-wan Kenobi show where we do see Darth Vader choking Obi-wan.

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    From Dooku's perspective its uncivilized.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Wookie Cookie

Wookie Cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2022
    What do the knights of Ren do other than follow Kylo Ren around?

Sarge likes this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I have always viewed the knights of Ren as non-force users masquerading as Sith. In some ways I think they were designed by Palpatine or Snoke as body guards / cult members for Kylo.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    They get more into them in the comics. They're basically a biker gang. They go around the galaxy causing a ruckus wherever they go. They do have the force and only accept force adepts (they call the force "the Shadow") although their training is likely crude and lacking any of the techniques that make the Sith so powerful.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Having watched the 1991 wide screen videos the other day it got me wondering just how good was the picture quality of the theatrical releases that we watched back in the day? We’re used to watching copies on 4k, but were the original prints ever so clean and pristine back in the day on the cinema?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, they were not. Even in the best case scenario, which wasn't the condition most people saw the movies in. It was also one of the reasions why Lucas was so adamant about digital projection.

BlackRanger likes this.