main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Visions: The Pit - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , May 2, 2023.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed May 11, 2023.
  1. 10

26.7%
  2. 9

13.3%
  3. 8

33.3%
  4. 7

13.3%
  5. 6

6.7%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

6.7%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Studios: D’art Shtajio & LucasFilm Ltd. (Japan/US)
    Directors: LeAndre Thomas & Justin Ridge

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What are we expecting here? Cherry pit? Peach pit?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Cos Palpatine

Cos Palpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2022
    Mosh pit.

Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  4. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Arm pit, presumably.

Cos Palpatine and Sarge like this.
  5. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Very disturbing the way the empire just leaves them in a massive hole that they were literally forced to dig for themselves. It certainly had elements of the Andor prison break but thank goodness for little dino friend! Loved the dichotomy between the haves and have nots literally next door.

Sarge, cwustudent and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  6. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Powerful visual storytelling here. The metaphorical weight of the imagery is pretty amazing. This is animation at its finest, in my view.

Easily the best of Visions so far, in either season. Although there is some possible unintentional irony at play too; I wonder how aware the creators are about it.

Nevertheless, 10/10.

cwustudent likes this.
  7. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    I tell you what, when that main character was dropped in the whole half way through I was a bit in shock, did not see that coming and thought he’d be the one to be the hero. I thought he’d inspire them but not in that way. Powerful powerful episode.

The Chalk Jedi, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  8. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    Really strong story, it remembers real life stories, masterpiece.

Sproj, The Chalk Jedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Haunting, tragic, beautiful. Peak Star Wars stuff. Make it canon!

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    Sproj, The Chalk Jedi and Sarge like this.
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The blood diamond allegory is strong with this one.

Bor Mullet, Sproj and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That was a Sandshrew

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    A surprisingly grim story, although works well enough in terms of portraying the societal uprising. Just when I thought we were getting an effective dramatic story without the need for the Force, that ending proved me wrong. I'm not opposed, but I didn't need it either.

7/10

cwustudent likes this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Though I thought this was the weakest of this volume of Visions it was still very well done, with great animation and a pretty good story. The plot reminded me a tiny bit of the musical Urinetown, especially with the fate of Daveed Digg's character, though obviously with a bit more uplifting ending.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Wow, the weakest? After a second viewing, I place it at the very top, alongside Aau’s Song and Sith.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean I still gave it an 8, so it's not like it's a giant drop off.

16. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    This is the one that stays with you, it’s risen to the top for me, it’s very impactful. Can’t agree at all it’s the weakest, the opposite in fact but also respect each to their own.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This is dark. And this time there isn't a lightsaber or force wielder anywhere. The Empire literally leaves them in the pit they dug. Just like the prisoners in Andor are building parts, these prisoners are also digging up treasure for the Empire to use in the construction of the Deathstar (probably). The stormtroopers which rarely seem like more than comic relief much of the time are genuinely menacing with dark shadows over their armor. Those bandit-like masks stick with me. I was expecting that guy to get caught and tossed back in when he ventured into the city looking for help. The wealthy didn't give him the time of day. Somehow it surprised me he died. Not the way he wanted to inspire them. But thanks to chanting "look to the light (?)" the city comes to see what's up. And no one wants to see children get hurt. Someone asks "Are there children down there?" and the mob breaks out. 8/10

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  18. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Nice, very Andor-like I think. Despair, hope, seeing through the lies and doing the right thing. I think this was deep... well it was the pit after all.... oh damn such a ban pun.
    Anyways... I think it was bit odd how few imperials there were and how all of them were stormtroopers and even the commander had armor. I think it perhaps symbolized the way how imperial regime is faceless and emotionless though while people were all having their own faces to show the emotion and shock.

It was also interesting how all prisoners were humans while city had all sorts of species, not sure if that has some special meaning or just a choice to show how these people belonged together and city folk become elsewhere. I liked it how different all humans looked and there were different ethnicities, genders and ages and city folk too was diverse with many classic star wars aliens.

Stormtroopers portrayed like this is better than what is done in Dave Filoni's work. They should be more threatening like this, not just goons.
    End with kyber crystal gaining it's color was epic, did the little girl had force in her after all, her light awakened. Cool story.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I gave it an 8/10. I get that the primary theme to this episode was for inspiration/hope; but just like the previous episode I had a somewhat difficult time connecting with the primary characters. I guess it's because in this one the protagonists are one of many people in the pit, and IMO that sort of takes away from the essence of what he accomplished. He came up with an idea, and others in his family supported him. By the end, it looked like the little girl was praised far more than her brother was; even after his sacrifice.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s part of what makes it great. As with Andor, the Pit sheds the hyper-individualistic ethic of so much storytelling which insists that help from others takes away from one’s heroism. We need more of those kinds of narratives. The frustration with the little girl being praised “more” than her brother is a symptom of that kind of thinking. The point of the story is not that he should get the credit for his sacrifice. But that his selfless actions precipitated the broader movement of a large number of people - a movement that saved all their lives. Worrying about who got the credit is really the antithesis of the episode’s message.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Cos Palpatine, Sarge and Sproj like this.
  21. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    That was quite grim throughout but with pure SW hopeful message. Loved the parallel the deeper they got in the pit, the higher the city grew...
    Really good chapter! 10/10

Swashbucklingjedi and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    There was something quite emotive about the stormtroopers just flying away - an anger and impotence at the "banality of evil". A bold decision to have that as part of the ending, and better for it.

23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    One way out, follow the light. Very strong and powerful story. 8/10

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    It was really insightful watching the BTS for this one. This wasn't just LucasFilm randomly teaming up with one of the foreign studios, it was a very Black American project with Black Japanese collaborators, and knowing that it's really easy to see in retrospect how the short bleeds Black American culture.

Sarge and Riv_Shiel like this.
  25. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    The BTS speaks well to the culture of Lucasfilm, as well. LeAndre Thomas pitched the idea while working as a manager of the video and sound assets, but he had a good idea so he got an opportunity. Not unlike the Rogue One pitch coming from an unlikely source.