main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by BattleDroid1138, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Here are some facts that are germane to the conversation and may show why Episode One is the least like Star Wars film at imdb.com and other places in the galaxy.

In 1999, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace was nominated for Worst Picture along with Big Daddy, The Blair Witch Project and The Haunting. Only to lose out to Wild Wild West.

Additionally, Jake Lloyd was nominated as for Worst Supporting Actor but lost out to Ahmed Best.

(Let the discrediting of the Razzie Awards begin.)

2. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    1 EDIT:
    Aren't the same 4 people sick of derailing every damn thread with the same crap? You know who you are. Stop derailing this thread with your pointless gusher/basher posts.

Loco you will never convince Shelley or Go-Mer to dislike TPM. Go-Mer and Shelley, you will never convince Loco and the other Bashers' Sanctuary regulars posting in this thread to like TPM.

Now will you people just give up trying and stop ruining threads in this forum? The next time it happens, people are going to start getting banned.

Sorry, Stri, missed your post as I was typing the response.

2 EDIT: I would figure this discussion is actually on topic and not derailed since we're not talking about Shmi's captivity anymore but the merits behind TPM and as to whether or not it deserves the honor it has on this and many polls.

Besides, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, simply making points and trying my best to back up what I say. I'm not going to use the whole "So I can understand their point of view" schpiel. I'm here to discuss and debate, and I don't see this as any different than conversing with people I agree with since no one is trying to convince the other, imo.

Mod Edit: Removed basher/gusher fighting replies, as per warning last page.

3. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Hmmm, so many people to ban, so little time. You guys have no idea how much thin ice your on. On the last page alone I see multiple insistance of discussing fans not the films, flame-baiting, and at least one person posting knowingly false information.

And for the record, I was the one who brought up the box office numbers.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Darth-Stryphe And for the record, I was the one who brought up the box office numbers.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

[face_not_talking] Pandora's Box has been opened. [face_not_talking]

Can moderators ban themselves? :p

5. The_Nameless_One

The_Nameless_One Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    What was the false information? [face_thinking]

6. COLDLIGHT

COLDLIGHT Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Guys, storm in a teacup!

The IMDB asked which is the worst Star Wars film. Assuming a person voted, there was always going to be ONE star wars film that got left carrying the can! It's only in comparison to four other films, remember?

If ESB or AOTC had 'won' the survey, there would be a thread just like this one in the relevant forum.

For a SW fan, it's a no-win situation!

Still, we ALL do know, down in our hearts, the poll got it right. :)

7. BombardTarkin

BombardTarkin Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2002
    I liked TPM, and I am not a child.

I do not like Jar Jar. I do not love CGI. I am indifferent to Darth Maul, young Anakin, and Pod Racing.

I just think it is a good movie in its own right. And my name is BombardTarkin.

As has already been noted, TPM had alot of high expectations generated in the press, and even more expository work to accomplish in setting up the PT. Given these constraints (nothing can be as good as people's overwhelming expectations, and it is difficult for a movie to reintroduce a universe untouched for 20 years) I think it actually did alright in the public eye.

As a stand alone movie, I think it is great. As a star wars movie, it is certainly not the weakest. The general public can hang.

8. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Lots of people saw TPM, like they saw Titanic. Did they like it? Things like the polls and such show that many of them didn't like it for long.

Wait a minute, sorry if this isn't allowed Strilo but i have to clarify:

You actually deny that lots of people like the Titanic (and TPM)?

If so, i'm done with this whole debate.

A simple yes or no will do fine, it's fun that Neo can dodge things but none of us are him.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    What was the false information?

That Jake Lloyd can act.

g

Strilo edit: I specifically said no more comments like this.

10. FORCE_SKIN

FORCE_SKIN Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2003
    TPM is "winning" IMDB's Worst Star Wars Film survey. WHY?

Because the 4 other Star Wars films are better.

11. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Wait a minute, sorry if this isn't allowed Strilo but i have to clarify:

You actually deny that lots of people like the Titanic (and TPM)?

If so, i'm done with this whole debate.

A simple yes or no will do fine, it's fun that Neo can dodge things but none of us are him.

To clarify:

I was talking about people not liking TPM, which is what this thread is about. The only similarity I was drawing to Titanic was box office draw.

12. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    The danger of using box-office numbers is that it can cause confusion too easily:

Titanic + lots of money = a popular film.

TPM + lots of money = an unpopular film.

See how difficult it can be?

;)

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The bottom line is this: Money does not determine film quality. It does show a bit of a popularity factor but due to inflation is not a constant that can be accurately compared. What determines film quality is very subjective and cannot readily be quantified. Public opinion can be polled but unless it is a scientifically random sample of the general public, the results will be skewed, sometimes badly in the case of a poll here or on imdb.

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    What was the false information?

It is known by mods and the one who posted it, that's all that needs to be said. Let's get back to the topic of the thread.

15. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    It upsets me that A New Hope got 238 votes.

16. Darth_Mimic

Darth_Mimic Jedi Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Remember, voting on polls is a good way for bashers to flame something without being penalized for acting against TOU. It's too bad that someone believed there should even be a poll like this.

Strilo edit: This post discusses the fans and not the films. Do not do this again.

17. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    It upsets me that this IMDB poll even exists. I mean, we all know that a movie series has to have some films which we prefer. But what is IMDB really proving with it? Is there any value to this type of poll, or is it just an extension of the basher/gusher mentality?

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I think the reason polls like this exist is because people want to know how other people feel.

People don't want to feel alone in their opinions.

Personally I would have done a "which is the best" SW film, but that's just because I don't believe in being negative.

19. Darth_Mimic

Jun 30, 2003
    Sorry... didn't mean to discuss the posters in that last thread. I actually meant to focus on the negative aspect of the poll, not the people taking it.

I find that a thread like this has more positive aspects to it, as it allows for a dialogue to exist between fans who like the film, and fans of the series who don't like the film. Plus, allowing a person to express themselves in a discussion thread allows for a greater range of response than "I don't like this film as much as the other ones".

Hope that clears things up.

20. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Funny how many posters try to convince us that thinking TPM is good is wrong. Strilo, why don't you edit that kind of BS. It clearly crosses the line.

Anyway, the IMDB sucks and SW is most infamous for QueenLeia (A.K.A.: Perfume_ ), the dumbest poster on the net.
    AICN is just as low as the IMDB (discussion wise).

21. Zar_Valen

Zar_Valen Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    The reasons why Phantom Menace was my least favorite:

1. Midichlorians - I didn't see the point. I feel like the Jedi/Force thing worked just fine as it was.

2. Puppet Yoda - It did look bad compared to all the other versions. Here's hoping that's the first digital fix on later releases.

3. Kid Greedo - Or whatever the race is called that Greedo is. The kid in the costume around Anakin's pod racer just looked wrong in my opinion.

4. The Two-Headed Announcer - Too cheesy. In looks and personality.

5. Threepio built by Anakin - Again, I didn't see the point in this. It just seems like a little TOO interconnected characterwise.

6. Sychronized Grappling Hooks - The Padme posse scaling the castle wall in unison looked silly.

7. Vague Ethnicities - Watto is Mexican. Nute and his buddy are Japanese. The Jar Jar thing is highly debatable so I'm not bringing that up. I don't think this was done to be disrespectful in any way, I just think it was a little awkward.

8. The Day is Saved on Accident - JarJar bumbles through his battle. Anakin destroys the Droid Army without meaning to. Eh.

9. JarJar Binks - Just. Too. Dumb. Not only did he muck his way through this movie but in the next one he is manipulated into helping start the Clone Wars!

I'm not trying to start trouble. These are just my honest feelings and opinions on TPM. I do like this movie. It's just when held in comparision with the others I think it is the weakest and most problematic. To say something positive though the lightsaber duel at the end with Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul is one of my favorites. :)

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I do edit that stuff when I see it. Do you point it out to a mod when you see it? Cuz if you don't then you have no business complaining.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Srilo: Do you point it out to a mod when you see it?

[image=http://www.mitene.or.jp/~yasuda/private/sw/sw_character/ben.JPG] <waving hand> Strilo, this not the post you are looking for. You can go about your business. Move along... Move along... :p

I believe one of the biggest reason why The Phantom Menace is the least liked Star Wars flick is because the absence of this guy (or something very similar):

[image=http://home.usit.net/~f-shysa/Vader/Crook.jpg]

One of the greatest villains to ever hit the screen, much more written.

24. The_Nameless_One

Apr 21, 2002
    He's there, but he's just a lot younger ;)

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ^ [face_laugh]

Well, Anakin isn't exactly the Mini-Me Darth Vader.

[image=http://desertpastor.typepad.com/paradoxology/mini_me_dr_evil.jpg] [image=http://www.rockaxis.cl/freaks/images/Vader%20y%20mini%20Jedi.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.