main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Moulin Rouge

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Old-Jedi, May 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Believe 'ol Morph. You'll know the **** is about to hit the fan when I start spouting off.

Speaking of which... I haven't had anything to whine about in a while. I guess I'll just have to make something up.

James

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    LOL....to me, American Beauty is the film that's overrated and not completely worthy of the praise and accolades it received.

Boring, annoyingly caricatured half-wit characters, beautifully filmed otherwise but with an overly contrived and silly plot with the one touching scene (girl & guy watching footage of plastic bag as metaphor for disposable American existence) being unnecessarily repeated at the end.

But what do I know? Got to my seat after the first couple minutes, missing the dubiously classic movie's Kevin Spacey shower scene, which I understand was the key to the whole film.

And I liked the Disney version of Little Mermaid too, so take my opinions as you will (or won't) :p

3. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    And the CR's mercy you shall have.

He's old and he's bitter, but that's the charm that is Tim. Credit does go to Eric for explainin that his words aren't all hate, but mostly sarcasm and cynicism. Besides, I'm sure Tim has a soft spot for the MR, since he probably stopped by there for directions in his Army days during the turn of the century. :)

"American Beauty" was a good film, but not a great film. It definitely addressed issues that, as Jack put it once, are in "places you don't talk about at parties," but it did scatter a bit at times. I will say that the payoff at the end wasn't exactly predictable unitl just before it happened. I'm also glad that the proposed bookend opening and closing was taken out. Would have taken away from it. Good to see some solid film discussion going on here.

4. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    I just saw Moulin Rouge last Saturday, and it was truly a beautiful movie.

I smiled the whole way through the picture, and almost cried at the end. If a movie can draw out that much emotion, then I think it's excellent.

5. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    I never thought I would see American Beauty bashing here. Man am I disappointed.

I firmly believe that American Beauty was a refreshing, non-hollywood, classic production. They just don't make movies like that anymore and with some of the subject matter involved, I'm suprised they attempted to be as gutsy as they did.

One movie that I love, and that I would love to know everyone here's opinion of, is Gattaca. Perfect movie.

James

6. Loudox

Loudox Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2001
    since we are changing topics to "American Beauty" I thought I would put in my 2 cents.
    Personally, I love Kevin Spacey and Annete Bening but I did not really like the movie. I was kinda offended that Hollywood's answer
    to a mid-life crisis includes:
    1)quit your job
    2)blackmail your boss
    3)by a hot-rod
    4)smoke weed
    5)seduce a 17 yr old virgin
    6)have an affair
    7)learn to shoot a handgun
    8)murder your neighbor
    I dont want to come off preachy but is that really a story we should try to associate with as a culture?

7. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I dont want to come off preachy but is the story we should try to associate with this thread that Tim is the one who's really offended here, because we attacked something that is near and dear to his heart: his ability to squeeze into a g-string and a can-can outfit in his private time when he's all alone. This is why he related so well to MR. That and the fact that Rob likes the g-string on Tim because it's that much easier to kiss the oldJedi's arse! ;)

8. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Because I havent seen the film I have no comment, But I am LMAO at you guys!

"caint we all just get along?"

9. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, I personally really liked American Beauty. I didn't see it as an attack on values, but a film that points out the hypocrisy and ugliness that sometimes lies behind a normal exterior. A beyond that, it showed that even in the face of such ugliness, there can be peace, happiness, and beauty. But it doesn't always come in the ways we think it should or are brought up to believe.

Never seen Gattaca. The trailers did nothing for me, so I skipped it.

10. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    Wow, Brandon. Seriously dude, you moved me! Very well put.

11. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    I hate you Brandon. I can only imagine what other cool films you haven't seen. Dork.

James

12. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    yeah, dork.

13. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Eric--I am actually pretty intelligent and articulate when I wish to be. However, most of the time, it is simply far more fun to be absurd. ;)

James--Alien 3 sucks. ;)

Stone--you suck. ;P

14. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    ***THX Jedi, having been absent from society, swings in on the chandelier from the shadows to save his partner in crime***

ALIEN 3 ROCKS!!! :cool:

Don't dis the greatness, 85 (I mean Brandon).

***Swings back into the darkness awaiting his return***

15. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Nov 19, 2000
    Perhaps a certain red-named individual would like to incur my wrath. I'm in a crappy enough mood to day to unleash the dogs of war.

I personally have not beared witness to "Gattaca," and I'll be the first to admit that it's not high on my priorities of movies to see, so I will not make a formed judgement here (although I reserve that right on my year-end lists, James). I will say that the trailer gave me no reason to want to see it.

16. m0rpheus

Nov 27, 2000
    <giggle..tries to stifle busting out laughing>
    Hey, Your Worship, I'm only trying to help.

17. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Nov 19, 2000
    At least you got the title right. There may be hope for you yet.

18. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    I don't want you new folks to get the wrong idea. We take our movies seriously around here but we don't take each other very seriously. Folks these aren't lukewarm opinions. It may seem a little harsh and rough and tumble, but it's all done in jest.
    As for American Beauty, I throughly enjoyed the movie, it is part of my DVD collection, and the only comparision I was making was the opening scenes.
    The only one kissing arse was Scott's and Josh's BI-YOCH. ;)

Now if you all excuse me I've got to go find my thong, I've got to practice my can-can.

Bye

19. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    So now that we've thoroughly delved into everyone's cabaret and undergarment proclivities [face_laugh] , have to admit that I liked American Pie much better than AB. Well done and hilarious teen flick.

Anyone seen the sequel trailer or have an opinion on it?

20. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, I'm not ashamed to admit it, I loved American Pie. But trying to classify it with American Beauty really can't be done. The movies couldn't be more different. You see, I'd classify American Pie as a really good movie. But American Beauty was an excellent film.

And I saw the trailer for American Pie 2 last week, and it looks pretty funny. Supposedly, if you liked the first one, you'll like this one.

And yes, Universal is up to it's 'ultimate edition' thing again, this time with the first Pie movie. DTS, 2 discs, extra features, such as deleted scenes, outtakes, games, and of course, the prerequisite sequel featurette as well as trailer. And the set will have a ticket for free admission for the sequel ala Mummy Ultimate Edition.

Personally, I'd rather that Universal did their definitive editions and then moved on to other titles, but I can't say I really mind that much. A super-duper special edition is always better than just a special edition. And they really aren't that expensive, so I can't really complain. :)

21. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Brandon, would you shut up already!

James

22. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    James, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

23. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    No, 85, I would not like your stink palm.

Now will you shut up?

James

24. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Ditto. I prefer the feeling of warm apple pie :p

25. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    No comment.

Brian, I thought you needed sleep ;)

Thread Status: