main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    i just read Aayla the other night . that was so cool .

i also just started messing around with a little web page . all i have on it right now are a few pictures of me in costume , some hilts i made and a pic of my tattoo .

http://home.comcast.net/~darthhair/darthhair.html

2. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    "What do you all think--will she go after Quin someday and try to bring him back?"

I'd say yes, Aayla will go after Quinlan to bring him back to the light. However I'm not sure she'd wish to change his disposition towards the Republic and the Seperatists. Seeing Aayla's character she would go after him to turn him to the light and not align himself with the dark (or the Sith).
    Not only would she do it because Quinlan searched for her and brought her back when she fell to the Dark Side but also because it is in her character. She's a true light Jedi, compassionate and caring.
    "Jedi - Aayla" shows that she feels or thinks of Quinlan as almost a father (or older brother), the first panel of when she becomes his padawan shows that. (Or when Quin is teaching her in lightsaber technique with the training remote. Beautiful how when she stands in front of him the angle is so suggestive of what Aayla sees in Quin as she says. He does seem as big as a mountain to her, and he is then just that, solid, dependable, always there for her to teach her.) Hence all the more motivation for Aayla to try and save him.

Isn't Oovo IV also in the "Bounty Hunter" game, where Jango Fett infiltrates the prison and in the end escapes with one of the Firespray ships, naming it Slave I?

I can hardly wait to see the rest of "Republic "59", especially since besides the more obvious standoff between Anakin and A'Sharad due to Anakin having slaughtered a tribe of Sandpeople and A'Sharad being a Tusken Raider - it'll be interesting to see how their different approaches on death will put them in opposite of one another. (As the preview panels seem to suggest.)

3. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    >>>it'll be interesting to see how their different approaches on death will put them in opposite of one another. (As the preview panels seem to suggest.)<<<

Yes, GodOfDeath, seeing that small bit of preview, it surely hints just that.

I really would like to see Aayla attempt to somehow go after Quin if things got worse. It won't take long! It would mean defying the JC and knowing how much of a girl scout she is, it'll be interesting to see how far she would go to rescue her Master.
    I agree with your scene on Aayla refering to Quin as a big mountain. Since then, I can really picture Quin as the older, protective brother-type(like me). If I was carrying out such a dangerous but neccesary mission as Quin is, how would I react if one of my sisters came out to get me?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>You don't hold out much hope for the poor Kiffar Jedi do you? Any particular reason for that?<<

Nah, I hope he survives- but John keeps joking (or was he...? ;;D) that Quin might not make it through Dooku, so I was just furthering the joke [face_batting]

Also, I had some timeline questions about Jedi: Aayla Secura I posted back a page or two ago that I'd like to repost:

John directed me to you for, since he said he left it up to you to determine her age in the flashbacks, so...

-In what year, roughly, is the opening "you are now my padawan" flashback set? ie: how old is Aayla? (by contrast, John assumes she was 16-18 at the time of Twilight- do you have an exact age by chance for that as well?)

-In what year, roughly, is the "training remote" flashback set?

5. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    darth_hair-- :) Thanks! Aayla is a fun read, isn't it? Great tattoo--slave Leia--cool. Awesome Quin costume right down to the face paint! You sure do have the right hair for the character! Wish I'd had that hand and gun reference when I was drawing that final scene with Quin threatening the Falleen--would have made my life so much easier. :D

Got your message--I'm working up specs for the exact costume--The star on the shoulder pad belonged to Quin's mother who was a Guardian and who was killed my the Anzati Jedi Karkko. It's made of metal. (but could be made of anything that is moldable) I think the chest plate would have to be some kind of plas-steel compound or strong but light metal. It's taken a lot of hits and shows a lot of wear and carbon scoring.

GodofDeath--I think you are right--that seems like a fair assessment of Aayla's personality and motivation. I really liked drawing the scenes between the younger Aayla and Quin--and seeing them sort of 'move along through time' as master and padawan.

John and I got to talking about what Quin and Aayla were like before their memories were wiped. Those scenes were the result of that conversation. Aayla is suce a cool and goof Jedi that she had to learn to be so from someone. That someone was Quin--who was very different then than the Quin we see now. Less in the shadows--more in the light and in tune with the Force. He was a good man--loyal and brave--and a good Jedi.

I think a Jedi would remember all the lessons their master taught them--Aayla especially--since she recovered her memory and she is a Twi'lek.

I think Oovo IV is in the Bounty Hunter game. Been a while since I played it.

kampilan--That poses the question--would Aayla DEFY the council to go after Quin? She's a general now with the responsibilites it implies. But then, this is something she has vowed to do--and Aayla keeps her promises.

I think if she did come after him--Quin would be right po'd. Someone should tell her the truth--but no one else can know besides Tholme, Yoda, Mace and Ki. If a Jedi were captured and cracked under questioning--the whole mission would be compromised and Quin would be a dead Jedi agent.

2ndQuest--
    >>Nah, I hope he survives- but John keeps joking (or was he...? ;;D) that Quin might not make it through Dooku, so I was just furthering the joke [face_batting]<<

Joke? Uh yeah--joke...sure... [face_devil]

You ask the tough questions...trying to make an artist do MATH!

Aayla was 2 when Quin and Tholme found her on Ryloth. Quin was 11. So there's 9 years difference in age.

Quin is Obi-Wan's age--which I think was stated as 25 during Ep I. So Aayla would be 16 at the time of Ep I.

Working back from that--she would have been about 10 (Quin about 19--remember he was Tholme's padawan from a very early age--Obi-Wan didn't become Qui-Gon's padawan until he was 13.)

The training remote scene would have been about when Aayla was 12-13.

Whew!

6. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Less in the shadows--more in the light and in tune with the Force. He was a good man--loyal and brave--and a good Jedi.

Does Aayla truly believe that Quinlan has gone over to the darkside?

or has Quin simply become more pragmatic in his approach..?

I know it's an infinities tale, but I think "Ghost" is the perfect story that illusrates a future Quin.

He is confident and secure internally, but somewhat uncomfortable when others try and perceive him that way..

The perfect quote which sums him up: "Sometimes the Force guides down a path even I am not prepared to walk.."

So do you think that there would be any conflict between what Aayla wants him to be, and what Quin truly thinks himself to be?

Or is Aayla the only one who could reach inside of him...

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Gracias, Jan.

I apologize for violating the Code of the Artist and asking math of you [face_batting]

8. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Mr44--
    >>The perfect quote which sums him up: "Sometimes the Force guides down a path even I am not prepared to walk.."<<

It really does--Quin's willing to take unbelievable risks for the will of the Force. He's even willing to chance walking into the darkside if he feels the Force is guiding him there. But there have got to be some things that even Quin won't do--guess we're going to find out...

>>So do you think that there would be any conflict between what Aayla wants him to be, and what Quin truly thinks himself to be?<<

Absolutely! I wonder if Aayla has truly come to terms with the fact that Quin will never again be the same Quin who was her master. But if anyone can reach him through the shadows--it's Aayla. (At least I hope so.)

>>Or is Aayla the only one who could reach inside of him...<<

I think at this point Aayla is one of the only ones who can see there may still be light in him. She is also probably the only one he would trust.

2nd Quest--
    ;)

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Oovo 4 is one of the Nintendo 64 Podracer worlds you race in. It was also mentioned in the Emissaries to Malastare comic.

10. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Having just gotten Dark Empire, I saw something interesting.

Skywalker was transported to Byss to meet the cloned Emperor aboard what was called a Mandalorian Dungeon ship. It was a ship specifically used for transporting dangerous Jedi during the Clone Wars.

Most interesting . . .

11. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    thanks jan , i am waiting for a power hook up in my garage so i can start the new armor . i am also doing a jedi quin costume for holloween . i will post pics when its done .

12. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Randy has recently said at the DH boards that they are looking into having another issue of Jedi in February.

This is excellent news, Jan. :D

13. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Excellance--
    >>Skywalker was transported to Byss to meet the cloned Emperor aboard what was called a Mandalorian Dungeon ship. It was a ship specifically used for transporting dangerous Jedi during the Clone Wars. <<

That is very interesting. Wonder if it scans with the way things are now?

darth_hair--
    can't wait to see what you're doing with the armor. Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of fun. I love building costumes myself. Never tried making anything out of metal--but have done some soft sculpture and leather work for costumes in the past.

Whitey--
    Yup--a fifth issue of Jedi is in the works (or will be soon.) You've probably heard by now that John and I will not be working on the book for that issue though. As much as I will miss doing it-- We're concentrating our time on Star Wars Republic and if the Force is with us, will hopefully take it through to Ep III. Can't wait to dive into issue 63 (Febuary 2004) after Dooku is done! (7 pages to go on Dooku!) :D

When I started working on JEDI:Count Dooku I thought it would be the darkest issue I'd ever drawn--well, I was wrong--63 gets darker still. Can't tell you anything about it yet--but soon!

14. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Any updates on whether you and John will be doing the Battle of Mandalore storyline?

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Speaking of Mandalorians . . . I just finished reading Open Seasons, concerning the backstory to Jango Fett and his selection as the prime clone. The art quality was impressive, though I haven't seen anything yet that can beat Schism. The colour there just lit up from the pages. Looking forward to reading Clone Wars 2, but it's very late and still to ship out.

I'm guessing the cover front change is why it's delayed. Good to know Rite of Passage is coming out in December! At last!

I still wonder what Tales of the Jedi would have been like if the Jan/John-Parson/Kryssing team had done it. That art still makes me shudder . . . :D

16. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Hey Jan, I know its a little early(its about 11:45pm here) but a very Happy Birthday to you! Hope you are taking the day off from drawing ;)

Cheers!

17. GodofDeath

GodofDeath Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    I'd also like to wish Jan a Happy Birthday! :)

18. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    GodofDeath/Kampilan--
    Thanks for the birthday wishes guys! Not taking the day off from drawing though--Now that Dooku is done, I'm anxious to begin SWR 63. I'm in a Halloween mood and that's the perfect way to begin this issue since the opening is chock full of Tombs, Sith beasts and ghastly, ghostly memories... [face_devil]

So I'm going to spend my birthday doing what I love to do best--drawing Star Wars!!!

The pencils on Dooku are DONE! Dan and Brad will be putting the finishing touches on inks and color shortly. I think it's going to be an issue of JEDI to remember. (at least I hope so!)

Excellence/Mavrick889--
    Regarding the Battle of Mandalore--I really wish we could do this--so far it doesn't look like it will happen. Seems like most, if not all, of the Mandalorians were killed in 'Open Seasons'--so I'm not sure where we can go from there. I know, I know--it is something I'd really like to see too. One of my favorite aspects of the Clone Wars. I'm thinking there might be a way to work this in somewhere, somehow. Taking the events of 'Open Seasons' into account--are there any more thoughts on this?

Excellence--thanks for the kudos on 'Schism'. Hopefully going to do another Mace centric story very soon. (he's one of my favorite characters!)

Jan

19. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "Excellence/Mavrick889--
    Regarding the Battle of Mandalore--I really wish we could do this--so far it doesn't look like it will happen. Seems like most, if not all, of the Mandalorians were killed in 'Open Seasons'--so I'm not sure where we can go from there. I know, I know--it is something I'd really like to see too. One of my favorite aspects of the Clone Wars. I'm thinking there might be a way to work this in somewhere, somehow. Taking the events of 'Open Seasons' into account--are there any more thoughts on this?"

I think the reason it HAS to work is because of the reference made in the 68th issue of the Marvel series, which has a number of characters referring to the battle as having occured during the Clone Wars. I always assumed that the Mandalorians seen killed in Open Seasons were merely a mercenary splinter group of the actual Mandalorian military.

20. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Happy birthday, Jan! :D

I'm in a Halloween mood and that's the perfect way to begin this issue since the opening is chock full of Tombs, Sith beasts and ghastly, ghostly memories...

MUHAHAHAHAHAAHA! [face_devil]

Also, a question. Will we get to see any stories on Adi Gallia or Stass Allie in the future? Or better yet, Siri Tachi? :D

21. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    I think the reason it HAS to work is because of the reference made in the 68th issue of the Marvel series, which has a number of characters referring to the battle as having occured during the Clone Wars. I always assumed that the Mandalorians seen killed in Open Seasons were merely a mercenary splinter group of the actual Mandalorian military.

someone, somewhere recently said that we only had Fenn Shysa's and Tobbi Dala's words for the whole Marvel account of the Mandalorians and that that wasn't reliable info.

i think that Marvel Mandalorians have basically been retconned out by now. the Mandalorians in Open Seasons were all that was left...

22. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Well, not exactly your name in lights but close enough, Jan :)

So, not taking the day off from drawing, eh? Somehow I knew you were gonna say something like that! lol

Can't wait to see all things Dark Sith in Jedi:Dooku.

I enjoyed "Open Seasons" and think it'd be great to see more Mandalore stories. Too bad they were never mentioned on-screen. The AOTC Visual Dictionary really gets you to want to know more about them and get more backstories. Don't know much about the early Marvel Clone War stuff other than that the name "Mandalore" came from them. Hopefully LFL and DH can work out some more elements from the Marvel and TOTJ stories for us to see. Even an all-Mandalore SW Tales would be nice.

23. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm sure this has been asked in the topic earlier, but I can't imagine rereading the whole thing.
    Jan, what comics do you read on a monthly basis?

24. bulent_hasan

bulent_hasan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    Hey Jan!

I've just returned from filming my first official budgeted project from up north and by reading the forums here its good to see that I haven't actually missed any of your issues! There were NO comic shops up north and that didn't help anything, I really missed buying comics!

25. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Can you spot Aayla Secura on this cover by Tommy Lee Edwards? ;)

[image=http://www.wizards.com/global/images/products_swrpgacc_177540000_lgpic.jpg]