main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    If anyone's interested, or hasn't already seen it on the main page, Troy Denning answers a few questions over at Star Wars: Myth & Magic.

2. tim500

tim500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Just kidding.

Sorry 'bout that.

3. tim500

Jun 16, 2002
    Sorry, man... but those who do the interviews deserve to have the traffic to their site. :)

4. tim500

Jun 16, 2002
    And here I am thinking you're picking on me ...

:D

No its OK I guess.

5. Tailone

Tailone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    Answers below!

"Now, if you wish to answer, who is your favourite Solo kid and why?? (Let the controversy begin)"

I love all Jedi children equally! (Surely you didn't expect an answer! ;) )

"And finally, I was wondering if, when you did your work on the Galaxy Guides (I only know you worked on the Barabels, which shows in Star By Star, if you had anything to do with creating the background for the Ortolans. If so, (or even if you didn't), what do you think of the cuddly little elephant guys? Oh yeah, and the Bothans and Mon Cals. Just to really pick your brain."

I can't remember who did the Ortolans. I think they're kind of cute, but not my favorite, to tell the truth. I like the Bothans because they have an edge to them, and the Mon Cals--well, Star Wars fans are pretty much required to like them, aren't we?

"And I do have one question on your upcoming trilogy, but it isn't on plot or characters or anything, so I think you can answer it, as it doesn't constitute as spoilers) In writing the trilogy (or even you are still writing it), would you say that you had as much fun as Star By Star, or moreso. No need to give a reason why, I'm just curious."

I really enjoyed writing SbS, but it's too early to say whether the trilogy is going to be more fun . . . I'm still working on it!

"1. What interested you in becoming a writer?"

That's an easy one--reading! (It gave me the mistaken impression that writing was easy.)

"and how did you become involved with Star Wars?"

A college friend of mine became the acquisitions editor at West End Games, and he knew that I was fan. So, he asked me if I wanted to do some work--among which GG4 is the best known.

"2.Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?"

I think I'll have to take the Patriots . . . by three! Probably 32 to 29. ;)

"In these post-NJO books - are the folks over at Lucas Books controlling the plot [like in NJO] or are you given a free reign? I might not know much how the books are written [outside of NJO] but I thought that they would come to you, offer you a sceanario [like say a Sith uprising] and tell you what characters you could kill and others you couldn't and let you write? Or are they telling you the key components of the trilogy and doing the same thang as NJO?

So basiclly how are you writing these books, in terms of controll over the events within the trilogy?"

Basically, Del Rey and Lucasfilm gave me a list of characters they wanted in the story and said "go to it". I gave them some ideas, they suggested some changes, and I went to it!

"If you can't answer that then tell me ... which character do you hate the most? (coughjagcough)"

I'd say Ghengis knows me pretty well. (Or at least he did--I'm actually starting to like Kyp these days.)

Troy

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Troy:

Am I to assume that you don't like Mon Cals? :(

Say it isn't so.

They are the soul of the Rebellion. They have sacrificed so much.

Besides, Ackbar is just so cool.

Good call on the Patriots by the way.

You must be able to predict the future or something. :)

7. tim500

Jun 16, 2002
    I'm actually starting to like Kyp these days.)

Another one finally sees the light :D

8. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Mr. Denning, what is your opinion on Tarc?

9. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Could you tell us if Jacen will figure into the post-NJO books?

Thanks!

10. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    (Or at least he did--I'm actually starting to like Kyp these days.)

Ah, nuts.

11. tim500

Jun 16, 2002
    Kyp is wicked! Hope he doesn't die!

Thanks for talking to us Mr Dennings ... Just wanted to ask how you write your books?

How many drafts do you do ... Or do you write it 1st time? Thant kinda thing. If its a trade secret ... No need to answer. Mum's the word ;)

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Kyp's character is too complex to just be killed off, methinks. I think he's good to have around.

13. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    Who will be the hero finishing his journey in the trilogy? Will Jacen have a major role?

14. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    Apologies for the above question, I do not mean any disrespect. Troy, as a writer in the Forgotten Realms universe (Faerun if you will), what areas, races, etc. did you enjoy writing about the most? After your post-NJO trilogy is finished, do you have any plans to return to that world? If so, what locale would you want to write about: Menzoberranzan, Cormyr, Icewind Dale, the Moonwood etc? If given the chance, would you want to work with fellow FR & SW author RA Salvatore?

I know I'm posting a lot of questions about FR, but I've read almost all of RA Salvatore's novels (except Siege of Darkness, I'm saving that for Easter Break) and the next one's so far away. :( Don't worry, I'm also planning on reading your Cormyr novels as well.

15. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Good Morning or evening or whatever time it is where ever you are .... Just one question, was there any hidden meaning behind "Kiss Tahiri for me" in SbS? Thank you for any answer or non-answer if you can't answer.

16. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    Answers below!

Mr. Denning, what is your opinion on Tarc?

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you mean what is my opinion on his future, I don't have one. If someone can make use of him in a story, great. Otherwise, I don't see him as such a compelling figure that he needs his own story.

Which New Jedi Order Character are You most Like?

Tesar Sebatyne--even my wife has a hard time understanding my humor!

Could you tell us if Jacen will figure into the post-NJO books?

He'll appear; beyond that, I can't really say much.

Just wanted to ask how you write your books? How many drafts do you do ... Or do you write it 1st time?

How do I write my books? One word at a time! ;) Seriously, it's a slow process. I do a lot of planning before I start a book and a lot of thinking before I start each scene. Usually, about halfway through a book I realize that I've taken a wrong turn somewhere and go back and rewrite before I continue forward. Once I have a complete ms., I like to rework/polish it two more times before I show it to an editor, and then--usually--there's another pass or two after that.

Who will be the hero finishing his journey in the trilogy? Will Jacen have a major role?

Sorry, can't comment on that.

Troy, as a writer in the Forgotten Realms universe (Faerun if you will), what areas, races, etc. did you enjoy writing about the most? After your post-NJO trilogy is finished, do you have any plans to return to that world? If so, what locale would you want to write about: Menzoberranzan, Cormyr, Icewind Dale, the Moonwood etc? If given the chance, would you want to work with fellow FR & SW author RA Salvatore?

In the FR, I really enjoy working with Malik and the gods, with Cormyr, with Galaeron and Vala, and with the giants. At present, however, we don't have any plans for me to return to the FR--I'm pretty busy with the post-NJO trilogy!

Good Morning or evening or whatever time it is where ever you are .... Just one question, was there any hidden meaning behind "Kiss Tahiri for me" in SbS? Thank you for any answer or non-answer if you can't answer.

I don't like to comment on the text of my own books. First, an author's commentary tends to limit the reader's interpretation instead of enhance it. Second, fiction comes from the subconscious mind almost as much as the conscious mind, so it's very possible that any answer I give wouldn't be entirely correct.

Thanks!

17. jedijcm

jedijcm Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    Troy,when will we be getting a basic plot outline for your new trilogy or any new info?

18. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Will Kyle Katarn make an appearance in your new trilogy...or maybe play a leading role?!?!

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Guys, it is not polite to ask the author about his intentions or plans for the new book. ;)

Try asking him questions about the older works of his.

Troy:

You made a commment eariler on this page about SW fans being required to like Mon Cals. Could you please elaborate on that? I am just wondering if you like or dislike the Mon Cals, and if that is a factor when you write your books.

Thanks,

Adm. Nick

20. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Id be absolutely shocked if Kyle Katarn played a major role in these books.

21. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    So would I, but shocked with delight

22. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    Hello again--answers below:

<Troy,when will we be getting a basic plot outline for your new trilogy or any new info?>

I really can't say, but I doubt it will be before the end of the summer. I can't see DR or LFL wanting to reveal much of anything until the book's within a year of coming out!

<You made a commment eariler on this page about SW fans being required to like Mon Cals. Could you please elaborate on that? I am just wondering if you like or dislike the Mon Cals, and if that is a factor when you write your books.>

Well, Mon Cals are a pretty heroic species. I suppose if you're the kind of reader who likes Darth Vader better than Luke, you might have a problem with Mon Cals. ;) I, however, like them just fine. But my fondness doesn't really play a factor in whether they make it into a book or not. My stories tend to have fairly specific character needs, so it would be pretty rare for me just to stick a species in because I liked it. (Except maybe Barabels . . . or Squibs . . . or . . .)

<Id be absolutely shocked if Kyle Katarn played a major role in these books.>

Me, too!

Troy

23. jedijcm

jedijcm Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    Troy, have you read the ep3 script and i heard that you weren't allowed to write about the sith in the njo, is this still the case with future novels in the post njo era?

24. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Hello, Mr. Denning. I had a few questions.

1. Obviously, Del Rey told you that Anakin Solo had to be killed. When writing Star By Star , did you start with his death and work backwards, or did you start with the voxyn/worldship plotline and take it to its conclusion, working Anakin's death into the plotline?

2. When the character's in Star By Star are planning the mission to Myrkr, they rule out the possibility of an all out assault on Myrkr. Later in the NJO, many fleets cross the invasion corridor. For example, troops travel from the battle of Coruscant to Borlieas to Mon Calamari. Thus, it seems that an all out assault on Myrkr could have been a possibility. Was there another reason why an assault on Myrkr was ruled out, or did that happen because you wanted to do the strike team instead? Sorry if I'm taking too much from little details :)

25. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I'd think they'd be easily pinned down if they struck Myrkr, as opposed to going through the invasion corridor to get from Point A to Point B. When they did that, they probably went through deep space and away from Vong forces.

Its probably the same as asking why the Marines didn't retake the Philippines earlier in the campaign, even though they could move their ships through the South Pacific many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.