main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Who is the spy? (Battle Surgeons spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Raven, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Good hypothesis, Csillan_girl, but Merit's species died in a solar flare. Palpatine/Sids could have done it, but it wouldn't be traced to him, unless the Jedi suspect that the Sith did it.

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    If Tolk is head nurse of the unit (and I think it says somewhere in the book that she is), then it's not at all unusual for her to have a desk. So if you're discounting her in favor of Merit, that's not a good reason.

Considering Michael Reaves said this when he intended to post as a sock, I'm guessing Tolk. :p

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Bah!

I like my metagaming reason better! :p

4. Michael_Reaves

Michael_Reaves SW Author VIP

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm enjoying this. You all have excellent and logical reasons for your guesses. Of course, that doesn't mean anyone's hit it yet ...

I'll say this much -- the Surronian ship is in fact the one from SHADOWS. Make of that what you will.

5. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I'm right! 8)

Or maybe he's bluffing?

Or double bluffing?

*Brain explodes*

6. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    He's an author, they're not to be trusted.

Besides, his sig quotes someone who thinks the best thing you can do with a beautiful veiled girl is turn her into a chimpanzee!

Obviously he's not writing with a full set of keys.

Anyways, if we assume the spy was actualyl introduced already I'd go with someone who was apparently introduced for no reason. Wasn't there a third surgeon? On the grassy knoll? With the lead pipe?

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    This reminds me of the old Operation board game . . . [face_batting]

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    While Tolk is a good candidate for the spy... what about Zuzz (sp?) the Ughnaught (the one that Den drinks with for information)... while only named once in the novel, Ugnaughts appear all over the place in the book... no one suspects the ubiquitous pigfaced short tech. if Zuzz is a supervisor-level (or as Excellence would put it Supervisor-Class) tech, he would have some level of access as the spy has.

or it could be... the Hutt, who is only pretending to be dead, and called in the final attack to avoid getting autopsied... a hutt has such a complex biochemistry that a fierfek (poison) might only work temporarily... and at some point later, he recovered, took out a secret communicator and dialed in the separatist attack... Lens = Hutt's big eye shape. Column = when you stand a Hutt on end.

hmmm... lens and column are both terms that a journalist might have -- a lens for a camera, and column is a regular written piece...

nah.. i'm going for the Ugnaught.

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    It's gotta be Tolk. And I subscribe to the theory that Tolk is a changeling.

Most female characters have a name that ends with a vowel. Tolk's does not. OMG changeling! [face_shocked]

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    As a note, because I checked, Guri has yet to be invented according to existing sources; so Tolk != Guri in disguise for those who were wondering (and trying to piece together the stinger ship in with this)...

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I think it should be Klo. If it is Tolk it would be to cliche. We have the good guy (Jos. assuming he doesn't talk about himself in the third person) and then we have the suducing spy.

If it is Tolk maybe she is a male Clawdite or Shi'ido. Now that would have the heads of both readers and Jos spinning. I remember some he references mentioned somewhere.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Guri was invented by a scientist from the Rebel's project decoy(early version of the project) that went rogue, and designed her for the black market.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Guri was invented by a scientist from the Rebel's project decoy(early version of the project) that went rogue, and designed her for the black market.

YEs, that is the information to which I refer.

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Just on the Guri issue though, am I mistaken in thinking that the description of her and Tolk are similar, and therefore Tolk could be the model from which Guri was designed.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Baloob the pubtender is a little too off the wall for my liking, I suppose you learn a lot in the cantina, but it's not really a position of authority.

But I can see a bartender regarding his bartop a one big desk. :)

I'll say this much -- the Surronian ship is in fact the one from SHADOWS. Make of that what you will.

The same kind of ship as in Shadows, or the actual ship?

Regardless of probability, I'm really digging the Xizor theory. But he, as a Falleen, doesn't have anything against the Republic yet, does he?

Plus, I don't see Lens or Column applying to him. Or anyone other than Den, really.

what about Zuzz (sp?) the Ughnaught

Yar!

am I mistaken in thinking that the description of her and Tolk are similar, and therefore Tolk could be the model from which Guri was designed.

THAT is interesting...

16. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Although the Republic might not have anything against the Falleen, we know that Xizor worked for Black Sun before the Vader incident.

He might just be someone who has chosen to support the seperatists.

17. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004

Guri existed before the Rebel Alliance. She was in Rebel Dawn a full year (3 BBY) before it was formed.

Let me guess. There is some explination for this like AC Crispen messed up or the project existed before the Rebel Alliance. What the heck I'll skip a step and give you this :rolleyes:

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Guri existed before the Rebel Alliance. She was in Rebel Dawn a full year (3 BBY) before it was formed.

There were rebels before the Rebel Alliance became a formal thing. There were tons of rebel groups. They just didn't formally band together until later.

19. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    :rolleyes: I'm sure that a cell of 20 or 30 rebels were working on an HRD. And again :rolleyes:

20. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The code names had me thinking it might be Den for a while, until I looked back and saw the line about the spy being high enough up in the command structure, which Den decidedly isn't.

I don't think Filba's death was a cover. People tend to notice Hutts, so he couldn't disappear that easily and still be around to do his job.

I now feel the need to go through and find every character who is mentioned in third person in the spy chapters to rule them out.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So the continuity errors will be fixed?

OK, quick, buy up the books, wait until the fixed versions come out then make a killing selling the "rare" edition on Ebay!

:)

JB

22. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    I'd thought the spy might well be Zan, starting early til his death. Couldn't be Phow Ji, too psychopathic and portrayed as a "bad" guy from the start. Not I-5, not Den, not Bariss (because it would destroy her consistent characterization in the EU as the most boring Jedi ever), not Jos. With this new clouding of the spy's gender, I gotta say I'm torn between Klo and Tolk, but I'm rooting for it to be Tolk.

Why? Because I'm not sure Star War has ever shown Love Not Working Out except for some silliness about Callista not being able to make Force babies with Luke or something. OK, and for Han and Bria. And presumably Anakin and Padme. But the point is I'm willing to see it again..

And really, it's the satisfactory logical addition to the romance I read in the first book, which was hardly a fleshed-out one (Jos: "OMG, u r teh hot, but i cant hav u." Tolk: "Yes you can, because we're at war and everything has changed since the last election cycle.")

But I'd like to entertain out-there alternatives. Such as... "The Corellian Candidate" What if the spy is Jos? Think about it: in the operating room and with his friends he's an earnest young doctor. But behind that facade, hidden by conditioning or hypnosis or Dark Jedi mind tricks is a calm, efficient secret agent man who only comes out to ply his trade away from those prying eyes. A spy who doesn't know he's a spy. It would help explain how Jos never thunk o' all them bio-ethics before now; he's been too plain busy between work and his double life.

I had thought about that Xizor thing, but the spy didn't sound like the Xizor I remember from Shadows. Still, if we look for suspects outside the current named cast, could the mysterious species of the spy be Falleen?

Or better yet, Caamasi?

Regardless of the identity, I'm pretty sure the next MedStar book will try to mislead us right before the truth comes out. Sort of like the thing with Zan and the skinpopper...

23. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    One would assume that she would detect the swirling of the Dark Side around a fellow-Force user (as the spy is clearly shown as performing evil acts), whereas it's way more difficult to determine this in a non-Force user.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Can't one do bad things without drawing on the Dark Side. If you are a Force user, who happens to be evil, but never actually uses the Force for a Dark purpose, would you still be of the Dark Side?

24. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Den seems to be the obvious answer, what with codenames like "Column" and "Lens" but its too obvious if you ask me. I'm inclined to go with Tolk as the spy too, mainly because I can see the story progressing well with that scenario.

25. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I re-read all the sections of the book where the spy is "talking," having Tolk's perspective in mind.

She seems the most likely candidate. The spy references working "with" the people, in a co-worker type of relationship. To me, that rules out Den. The code names are also obvious references to Den, which could be used to incriminate him, should the need ever arise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.