main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Insider #80 to feature Mandalorian article, Yo Joe!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndRest-in-Peace, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Thx cilghal, I did miss the 3D possibility!

As for the art, nice pics, I very much like the Predator like look of the Mandalorian Warrior in the New Sith War picture! Nice!

The Spar pic doesn´t work, can someone post it, or fix it? Pleaaaaaaaaaaaase^^ thx

as for Ailyn Vel Fett... she´s hot, yeah! Have to add her to the list of female SW chars I want to get more info, stories and pics about. Or a pinup in Mandalorian Armor *g*

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    <<I'm still wondering where Mane can imagine a completely war-orientated culture obtaining resources to conquer worlds if they DON'T do any mercenary work.

Look at their planets. They're provincial, agricultural dustbowls with bugger all industry.>>

Well apparently he says that one of the Mandalores started conquering from scratch so...*shrug* I just dont see why hes so zealous about it. Hes so zealous that he'd actually forsake a Mandalore over a rogue who couldnt follow the rules, and he wants to consider him honorable even if he was kicked. Ghez was actually content in the mercenary world. >>

Never ever said Ghez was an honorable Mandalorian, I just liked that he was ashamed of his mercenary life style. Which just adds to my claim that the Mandalorians saw merc work as dishonorable, even to themselves. Don't care about him. You can have your Merc, Jaster, though still he would be frowned upon by the Mandalore's of old. :)

3. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Just saw the pics at the site and I have to say...well they're just AWESOME! Some of the best artwork I've ever seen. These questions have probably been answered before, but what's the New Sith War and who's the red guy with the short saber?

4. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    It's the last Sith War that lasted 1000 years. The one with Darth Bane and Lord Kaan.

5. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    New Sith War is the Sith War from 2000 years before ANH until 1000 years before.

The red guy is an unknown Sith.The whole war is unknown and not depicted in any material besides the final battle of Ruusan in the Jedi vs. Sith comic!

the mandalorian participation is still unknown, and as it seems they fought against the Sith, like seen in the picture with the "red guy".

only facts known besides the comic are that a rogue Jedi re-founded the sith order 2000 years ago and with his allies destroyed the republic and Jedi nearly totally, reigning the universe for 1000 years. Sith ruling the universe, as GL stated.
    Later the Jedi resistance without republic help (for it was noneexistant at that time) destroyed and purged the sith until they got everyone on Ruusan, except for Darth Bane who escaped as we know.

the jedi order and republic were refounded 1000 years before ANH.

so far for the officially known facts.

6. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    <<Don't care about him. You can have your Merc, Jaster, though still he would be frowned upon by the Mandalore's of old.>>

That along with a lot of other things would be your opinion Mane.

Again, i loved the artwork!

7. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    OK, I assume Nevoota is thus in the Colonies, in the same Nevoota system as Balmorra.

But where is Basilisk?

8. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"The red guy is an unknown Sith.The whole war is unknown and not depicted in any material besides the final battle of Ruusan in the Jedi vs. Sith comic!"<<

The short story Darkness Shared takes place six months before the Battle of Ruusan.

9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    where can I find this story? what happened in it? main chars? mandalorian references?

10. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    It's available on Hyperspace, originally printed in the Gamer magazine. It's about Kaox Krul, a famous dark side marauder.

11. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Originally appeared in SW Gamer, around the same time as JvS.

Essentially...Jedi Knight and Padawan pursue evil Sith Lord, both sides crashland, Padawan is slaughtered by Sith Lord, Jedi Knight becomes rageaholic, calls upon Dark Side, slaughters Sith Lord (who also slaughters Jedi Knight at same moment), and contaminates planet with Evil Nasty Dark Side Energy forever afterward.

Fun little story, with a moral. (Wait -- no, there wasn't.)

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I don´t have that Gamer and have no hyperspace, can anyone help me out?

13. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    There's also a short story called Bane of the Sith.

14. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    TalonCard, on the Dungeon ship though, it describes a type. I suppose that all subsequent dungeon ships could have been kept to 1000 meters, but the article seems to be describing one type, not a series.

15. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    The Dark Empire Sourcebook gives the length of the particular variant of Imperial Dungeon Ships seen in the series as 764 meters (pp. 90-91):

[b]Imperial Dungeon Ships[/b]

Imperial dungeon ships were introduced at the height of the Purge in an attempt to control Jedi Knights and other dangerous prisoners. Originally designed by the Mandalorians, the majority of the ship's cells were devoted to common prisoners. Sections were partitioned off to allow for variable gravity, lighting, atmosphere, and other factors -- often prisoners were held under uncomfortable conditions (such as heavier than normal gravity) to keep them docile during the prisoner transfer. Other tactics of control included mild electrical shocks (painful but causing no permanent damage), sirens and hallucenogenic gases. Prisoners were guarded by droids along with normal organic guards (who were heavily armed and ordered to maintain order no matter what happened). Since the prisoners knew that disobedience meant death, there were few uprisings aboard the dungeon ships.

When it came to Jedi Knights, the prison ships were designed on the principle that the best way to keep a Jedi under control was to keep him disoriented and preoccupied with survival. Traditional restraints were useless against those who could call upon the Force. Super-dense alloys lined each cell to prevent any physical escape, and, it was (erroneously) hoped, to screen out any telepathy. Eventually, then energy shields used on the Universal Energy Cages had to be installed around the perimeter of the cells to prevent the Jedi from using their abilities. Life support settings were set extremely low to force the Jedi into hibernating for the duration of the voyage.

To prevent prisoners from commandeering vessels, the dungeon ships lack a normal nav computer. The computer can only hold two sets of coordinates at any given time: the jump to the prisoner transfer planet and the final destination. If a dungeon ship had to make multiple jumps, it would have to get new jump coordinates at each stopover. The bridge is located at the bottom of the ship in a self-contained and detachable command center equipped with emergency rations and a signal beacon.[hr][/blockquote]
    The d6 RPG stats:

[blockquote][hr][b][u]Craft[/u]:[/b] Rendili StarDrive's [i]Lichtor[/i]-class
    [b][u]Type[/u]:[/b] Mandalorian Dungeon Ship
    [b][u]Scale[/u]:[/b] Capital
    [b][u]Length[/u]:[/b] 764 meters
    [b][u]Skill[/u]:[/b] Capital ship piloting: [i]Lichtor[/i]-class
    [b][u]Crew[/u]:[/b] 860, gunners: 46, skeleton: 370/+15
    [b][u]Crew Skill[/u]:[/b] Astrogation 2D, capital ship gunnery 4D+1, capital ship piloting 4D, capital ship shields 4D, sensors 3D
    [b][u]Passengers[/u]:[/b] 400 (security wardens), 8,000 (prisoners in standard cells), 1,000 (prisoners in special holding cells)
    [b][u]Cargo Capacity[/u]:[/b] 1,500 metric tons
    [b][u]Consumables[/u]:[/b] 2 months
    [b][u]Cost[/u]:[/b] 7.8 million credits
    [b][u]Hyperdrive Multiplier[/u]:[/b] x2
    [b][u]Nav Computer[/u]:[/b] Limited to two jumps
    [b][u]Maneuverability[/u]:[/b] 3D
    [b][u]Space[/u]:[/b] 3
    [b][u]Hull[/u]:[/b] 5D
    [b][u]Shields[/u]:[/b] 1D+2
    [b][u]Sensors[/u]:[/b]
    [ul][li][i]Passive:[/i] 40/OD[/li][li][i]Scan:[/i] 75/1D[/li][li][i]Search:[/i] 150/3D[/li][li][i]Focus:[/i] 4/4D+2[/li][/ul]
    [b][u]Weapons[/u]:

10 Quad Turbolaser Batteries[/b]
    [ul][li][i]Fire Arc:[/i] 2 front, 4 left, 4 right[/li][li][i]Crew:[/i] 3[/li][li][i]Skill:[/i] Capital ship gunnery[/li][li][i]Fire Control:[/i] 2D[/li][li][i]Space Range:[/i] 3-15/35/75[/li][li][i]Atmosphere Range:[/i] 6-30/70/150KM[/li][li][i]Damage:[/i] 4D[/li][/ul]
    [b]2 Tractor Beam Projectors[/b]
    [ul][li][i]Fire Arc:[/i] 1 front/left, 1 rear/right* (*May only be used on one fire arc per round.)[/li][li][i]Crew:[/i] 8[/li][li][i]Skill:[/i] Capital ship gunnery[/li][li][i]Fire Control:[/i] 2D[/li][li][i]Space Range:[/i] 1-15/15/35[/li][li][i]Atmosphere Range:[/i] 2-10/30/60KM[/li][li][i]Damage:[/i] 4D[/li][/ul][hr][/blockquote]
    ...Which obviously points to a round of Imperial r

16. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    More questions.

TalonCard wrote:

?You know who I'm surprised no one has incorporated yet? Atha Prime...?

Way ahead of ya, TC. I actually incorporated Atha Prime into some of my Fact Files work, though, whether it made it past the editing process is something I?m unaware of since I don?t have the cards.

?Will we ever see the tale of Norval II, site of the Mandalorian's failed attempt to capture Padme for Sidious??

I certainly hope so.

?Is New Bornalex one of the worlds we saw Mandalorians on in Republic??

New Bornalex was first mentioned in the novel Cloak of Deception.

?The Glove of Darth Vader is...Mandalorian?!?

Just one more possibility to explain the glove?s indestructibility.

?And finally...the pictures! Oh my gosh, they are *so* cool! The different types of battle armor, all the characters done exactly right, the Mandalorian fleet in the NJO era... Too cool!?

Joe did a fantastic job on this article, pushing the envelope as always.

A fun fact: originally, Joe was going to depict either the Mandalorians wiping out the Ithullans, or Fenn, Tobbi, and Alpha-Ø2 fighting away in homage to the 2-page spread in Marvel #68. Though both ideas were really cool, we ended up going with an ill exploring the New Sith Wars instead.

The2ndQuest wrote:

?>> Note that the ancient Mandalorians defeated the "insectoid Nevoota".<<

No. frelling. way. LOL! Abel, with all of this, you are my hero ::)?

Thanks 2ndQuest.

For folks who are unfamiliar with the Nevoota joke, you can check out these links:

An explanation by SW author Rich Handley:
    http://www.shavenwookie.com/orhp/humour/palbacca.txt

The source of the joke:
    http://www.geocities.com/mike_beidler/starwarsliteraturecompendium/nr3empire.html

?>>It's undeniably official: Boba Fett escaped the Sarlacc *twice*! <<

..but I'm afraid I'm going to have to burn you at the stake?

Argh! Broiled again?

Another tidbit: the article mentions that Feskitt Bobb was partial to a torture technique called ?The Burning.? Brian Daley, author of the Han Solo Adventures, initially intended for this to be the method used on Beru and Owen Lars, leaving nothing but their charred skeletons.

Here?s the description from the 1st edition of A Guide to the Star Wars Universe: ?a form of torture involving the use of a blaster set at low power, to scorch and sear the flesh from a prisoner. Usually the burning begins with the legs and, if unsuccessful in eliciting the desired response (rare), continues with the subject?s other extremities.?

Take care,
    Abel

17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Abel I noticed you never said much about the Mandalore Mask. Was it your intention to leave it out, so that it could possibly return in the future? Or did you just not think much of it?

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Raymond Velasco rises from the dead...

19. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Someone please enlighten me as to:

1) Atha Prime
    2) the planet Ordo
    3) how we know the CIS ran Affa [I only know that is 3PO's homeworld]

20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Ordo is where Canderous and his clan are from. It's mostly like Tatooine with a little green around the equator.

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Ordo is the Homeworld of Mandalorian Clan Ordo, where Canderous Ordo, the later Mandalore, comes from. Nothing else is known about Ordo, all information is from KOTOR 1+2 games.

Edit: lol, Mane was faster.. as always!

22. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
  23. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I wonder if the Mandalorians found the Nagai a new home, and where it's located? I wonder if it could be located in a certain sector named after a great conquer. Some source did say that the Nagai did have their own Vong Problems, but the Article also says that the Vong might have attacked Mandalore(or got close too, since it includes Mandalore as on of the planet defended by the Mandalorian Commando's/Protectors). So it could be possible that the Nagai home world is located in the Mandalore Sector, now.

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Cool info, Leto! So the full name is Lictor Dungeon ship.

BUt what's to stop a Jedi, really, from reaching out with the Force and crushing the circuit cables around the confinement cell?

25. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Other nasty stuff.

-- often prisoners were held under uncomfortable conditions (such as heavier than normal gravity) to keep them docile during the prisoner transfer. Other tactics of control included mild electrical shocks (painful but causing no permanent damage), sirens and hallucenogenic gases. Prisoners were guarded by droids along with normal organic guards (who were heavily armed and ordered to maintain order no matter what happened). Since the prisoners knew that disobedience meant death, there were few uprisings aboard the dungeon ships.

And then this:

Life support settings were set extremely low to force the Jedi into hibernating for the duration of the voyage.

The Jedi are kept disoriented enough so that they're unable to focus their powers.

Also:

Super-dense alloys lined each cell to prevent any physical escape, and, it was (erroneously) hoped, to screen out any telepathy. Eventually, then energy shields used on the Universal Energy Cages had to be installed around the perimeter of the cells to prevent the Jedi from using their abilities.

The energy cage technology basically cancels out the Force for a Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.