main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official John Ostrander Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Well, let's be honest here, how could it possibly compete with such a pimp hat?

2. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Nothing can matche the sweetness of the Hat.

3. The_Hat

The_Hat Jedi Master

Aug 27, 2005
    That's right... nothing is that freakin sweet... nothing...

HA HA HA HA HA!

Btw, You rock John...

4. Zhan_Tyrros

Zhan_Tyrros Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2005
    the first time i saw that hat, i immediately thought back to the Meiji era of Japanese-style samurai swordsmanship... like in Rurouni Kenshin.

5. bakednudel

bakednudel Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    I'm a complete noob to the comics EU, but I can't pass up this chance to send kudos to John Ostrander! I'm buying the Clone Wars TPBs (missing 3 & 4, though) which I can't praise enough.

It sounds like there are about two dozen other TPBs I should be getting, though.

The ending of Clone Wars 6 really left me on tenterhooks! Can't wait for #7!!

thanks for all you do! I never thought I'd read a SW graphic novel or EU novel. Now that I have read some of both I find I prefer the comic stories to the EU novels. The genre just works better (for me) for stories of the GFFA.

6. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Thanks, friend. I think the question of novels or comics is to individual tastes. I've read a lot of the novels at this point as well -- always trying to keep up -- and I think there's good stuff for any SW fan to be found in the EU.

And if you're just reading the TPBs, then we've just completed an arc in SW REPUBLIC that, when it finds its way -- and it will -- to TPB, should knock you out. Probably among the best Jan and I have done. . .so far.

All the best

John

7. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Republic # 72 - 77 was Star Wars at its best.

8. bakednudel

bakednudel Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2005
    Thanks, I can't wait!

9. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    John, I was wondering if you knew anything about Brandon Badeaux because I saw that he lived in or near NO. I know he was okay but still in trouble down there after the hurricane. I hope he's a-okay.

10. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I've got a question about the Kiffar. Are the goldish band across their head genetic or cermonial? I've only read the Clone Wars works so far, so it could have been answered in an earlier arc.

11. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>John, I was wondering if you knew anything about Brandon Badeaux because I saw that he lived in or near NO. I know he was okay but still in trouble down there after the hurricane. I hope he's a-okay.<<

From what I've read from his postings on the DH Boards, Brandon got out okay with his family and original artwork. He's working from his girlfriend's house. He wasn't sure what the state of his house was; there was the possibility it was where the floods hit hard. He's also pretty mad about the slowness of the federal response. Aren't we all?

-- John

12. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    >>I've got a question about the Kiffar. Are the goldish band across their head genetic or cermonial? I've only read the Clone Wars works so far, so it could have been answered in an earlier arc.<<

They're not born that way if that's what you're asking. We've shown other Kiffar and, while many have marks, they aren't in the same places. Probably a tattoo rather than paint, however.

-- John

13. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Yeah, I'm mad, too. Thanks, John, tell him that all of us on the Lit board wish him well.

14. Sithoid

Sithoid Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2005
    Hello mr. Ostrander!
    I really admire your stories in 'Republic'!
    Maybe it's a usual question... but where can I get as much as possible 'behind the scenes' information about Vos and related? How did you create the stories, how was that background face in Ep.1 noticed, how do you invent the names? E.t.c... I believe I saw some of your interviews about it, but cannot find them.

15. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Hi Sithoid

I've done so many interviews over the years that i'm not sure what was answered where. I'm not sure if my memory's good enough to provide all the ahswers, either!<g>

Let's see if i can answer SOME.

Jan is responsible for spotting the guy in the background. We had already done some creation of the character and Jan wanted him to be connected to TPM -- which had appeared in the movie theaters by that time. LFL agreed we could use a background character. Jan spottted him while watching the movie. She can see a hummingbird flap it's wing. I'm totally serious about that. >I< didn't spot him until it TPM was out on DVD and THEN i had to freeze frame to it. Pretty amazing.

I came up with the name "Quinlan Vos" phonetically. i analyzed some SW names sucxh as Qui-Gon Jinn and, phonetically, I felt the first name should have two syllables and the last one should be one syllable. I "borrowed" the QUI from Quin-Gon and then added the "n" to it for the first syllable and then looked for a second syllable that would look good with it and SOUND right if you pronounced it. I eliminated "lin" because i didn't want the first name to have two "i"s in it. "Lon" didn't work for me either; didn't have the right "mouth feel". Same thing got "lun" which left "lan" or "len". I liked the SOUND of Quinlan better. I didn't want any vowels from the first name in the second name so that eliminated "i", "u" and "a". Well, "o" starts MY last name, so I went with "Os" (the first two letters of my last name) and then looked for a consonant to add at the beginning. "Vos" seemed to fit best. Mundane process, isn't it?<g>

I work full script -- which means I submit a script with everything in it: dialogue, captions, sound effects, panel descriptions, etc. -- to DH. Jan and I sit down together and dope it out first (she has to draw it and we only live about 15 minutes apart). First the overall plot, which gets approved by DH and LFL, and then I break it down to page and panel so Jan and I are in agreement as to the pacing of the story. Then I do the completed script. Jan and I have a unique partnership; we go through every stage together. When i'm working with other artists, I get the overall plot approved and then I just write the script. Jan knows so much detail about the SW Universe, however, and our proximity really allows us to work more closely together to the betterment of the story, IMO.

Howzat?

-- John

16. Sithoid

Sithoid Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot! Really interesting facts about Quinlan's name :) And what about the others? Did you think about Tao creating master Zao's name? Why does Khaleen Hentz have such a strange one? (it's pronounced like 'Helen', right?)

I hope I don't ask too much questions? Never thought it's possible to speak to SW authors :)

17. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Yes, we did adapt Tao into Zao. We felt it worked well for the character and his approach.

Khaleen was adapted from a friend of mine who was(and is) a big SW fan. Pronounced - KHAL een -- (long E sound for the second syllable). Originally we was meant to be a one shot character but she grew into something else.

The same is somewhat true for Aayla. I was thinking of killing her off early, just to up Quin's angst quotient, but Jan's daughter Sian asked us not to. I'm glad she did! <g>

-- John

18. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    You just mentioned Jan's daughter being called Sian (original name btw Jan).....was that name the base of Xiaan, the other Twilek Jedi ;)?

19. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Yup although, technically, we didn'tr create her. She shows up in another story but was not named. We first used her in the DH Presents strip and decided to name her. Since Sian saved Aayla, we named this character after her.

And killed her during Saleucami. We're bad people.<g>

-- John

20. Sithoid

Sithoid Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2005
    You've created so many Jedi in this series: Jeisel, T'ra Saa, Zao, Kai Justiss, Tsui Choi and so on... Are you going to say 'goodbye' and kill them all during the Jedi Purge, or there will be an open final? (I even don't ask about main characters... I guess that's a secret)

Ah, by the way: it's interesting, what was Dama Montalvo's fate? Did he find a new Master or was killed? I really like your cameo characters, so I'll try to ask you about them %)

21. grahamh_100

grahamh_100 Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    Hi John,

I've not posted here before but I skim through the messages every now and again. I just wanted to stop by and congratulate you on actually making me rush to the shop to make sure I get the latest issues of Star Wars.

You really have captured the essence of the movies and have created some of the finest and most memorable characters in the Expanded Universe. I have been continually enjoying it since first reading the perfect banter between Quinlan and Villie. The way that you create a truly ongoing universe, by bringing back smaller characters is a neat touch that adds to the satisfaction of reading one of your comics.

I was especially spurred to write this due to the final moments of your 'Siege of Saleucami' arc, in which you really did evoke a wonderful feeling of closure for the four characters for me, it was a truly 'peaceful' moment after so many issues with foreboding endings.

I appreciate this may sound like overly gushing praise, however I really wanted to say thanks for making the Clone Wars such a fantastic read. I can think of loads more specific stuff that I have loved but I'd be here forever writing it!!

I am really hoping that Quinlan comes out of the next story arc alive, but I am confident that if he doesn't you'll give him a truly fitting send off - oh, and thanks for bringing Villie into it, I really have been missing him during the Clone Wars!!!

Graham

22. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Sithoid asked:>>You've created so many Jedi in this series: Jeisel, T'ra Saa, Zao, Kai Justiss, Tsui Choi and so on... Are you going to say 'goodbye' and kill them all during the Jedi Purge, or there will be an open final? (I even don't ask about main characters... I guess that's a secret)
    Ah, by the way: it's interesting, what was Dama Montalvo's fate? Did he find a new Master or was killed?<<

For the record, I didn't create Tsui Choi. And SOME of the characters you named will be in PURGE. Which ones? Ah, that would be telling.<g>

-- John

23. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Graham

Thanks for the kind words. Credit where credit's due: Jan had as much of a hand in creating the characters as I did. She and I both believe in weaving characters back in where possible to create a "tapestry" which we feel is VERY SW. She and I are both big SW fans as well and so we're always looking at our stories to see if we're being true to what we feel is important about SW. Getting that "feeling" right is very important to us. Glad it works for you.

All the best

John

24. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    John,
    Any chance we'll ever get to see you do some more pre-Episode I stories? Perhaps showing how Tholme, Tra'saa, Zao, Dooku, Qui-Gon operated during this time?

25. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Kai Justiss is also known to have survived Order 66 on Kashyyyk. Any chance of Vos running into him in Republic 81-83? Those clones on Kahyyyk weren't very successful. They only managed to kill one Jedi in their first go (unless Luminara didn't die, either :p ).