main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic #83: The Hidden Enemy, part 3 (of 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ph0enix, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Aw, man. He'd better die before the arc is over.

2. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Date of release on DH's website has been changed to Feb. 8

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Bump!

The final issue of Republic, the 2nd longest running monthly SW comic, ships this Wednesday :(

And what may be the final Quinlan Vos story :_|

4. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Well, even if Quin dies in this one, he's been recording that holocron. His personality is encoded in that, so if and when it turns up he can appear as a holo-character, probably to give advice or something to someone.

5. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    Yeah, he's really one to give advice.

6. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    "The best way to catch a mass murderer ... is to become one! Huzzah!"

7. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Ummm... so this did come out today, right? Which means someone is gonna post what happens, right?

8. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Tomorrow, I think.

9. dri-ma-kadi

dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Should be out today.Anyone got it?

10. QuinineVos

Jun 16, 2005
    Okay, all I gotta say to all those who were sure what was in store . . . And I hate to gloat, but I told you so!

Major spoilers for this issue below! Believe me, absolutely do not read this if you don't want to seriously decrease your enjoyment of this issue! Do not read hilighted text, run out and buy this issue now, it's worth it! Don't read below . . . don't say I didn't warn you :)

Quin is alive! Villie saves him from near death after Quin realizes his place in the force, and his own small role in the larger scheme of the cosmos. He abandons his grandiose visions of singlehandedly destroying the Sith. He is reunited with Khaleen, Tholme and T'Ra Saa at the end. There are some really lovely flashbacks in this story, especially the ones where he remembers himself in training with Yoda at the beginning and the one with Aayla where they bury her pet. John and Jan really pulled out all the stops on this one, and I was on the verge of laughing and crying at the poignancy a few times (of course, I'm a sap). My greatest compliments, John and Jan, for tying up your Quin arc with grace and aplomb-you have made this story end beautifully! I was unsure if I truly liked this story arc after reading # 82, which on its own felt a little rushed, but this totally changed my mind-a thrilling ending. Now it will be time for the haters to line up with their artillery, saying that Quin shouldn't have lived, that John & Jan couldn't "let go" of their character, that his death was "canon," when clearly Lucasfilm has approved this ending. In fact, I'm guessing now that we might be seeing Quin in the TV series after all, which I have to say, might just about make me crap my pants with excitement and anticipation! I'm hoping this is why Randy mentioned that there was a series that would have continued Republic's numbering which now is not happening-he's being reserved for the TV show. He's a great character and he deserves a wider audience. And now that he's redeemed it is a new Quin that we could be seeing. He still has more to contribute. Oh, and by the way, Quin's child is neither Mara nor Shira Brie or any of the other theories that have been bandied about, and is a son, Korto Vos. And Kiffars put there yellow stripes on their faces with paint, which I never realized, I always assumed it was something genetic. Or maybe it's 'cause the child is only half Kiffar.

11. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Going to have to stay out of this thread for a little while. The last Republic issue I had in hand was 75, and the local comic shops didn't have anything earlier than 80, so I put in big TFAW order to get myself caught up. But now I have to wait for it to come in before I can move on to this issue! :_|

On the bright side, I'm slowly but surely filling the gap between Emissaries of Malastare and the Clone Wars run. I now have half of Twilight, all of Darkness, and all of Rite of Passage. I'm concentrarting on the Quin stuff first, as that's a storyline I missed prior to the Clone Wars and he's now one of my favorite characters, and building out from there. Unfortunately it's a bit of a pain as, having the first 18 and the last 35 comics in single issues, I want to fill in the gap that way rather than getting TPBs.

-Paul

12. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    I gotta say, this pleases me to no end.

Still... If Quinlan escapes, why the heck doesn't he come out of hiding when Luke shows up? Ugh, and the same with Hett, of course. We really need to find out more about what happened to those characters. They were JEDI. They might have "given it up" for a time, but never for good.

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Ghost can be canon!!!!

:D

14. QuinineVos

Jun 16, 2005

Probably explained by the idea that they were probably dead by the point that Luke shows up. Just because they're alive now doesn't mean that they will survive another 20 years. I assume at some point the Empire will hunt Quin down

15. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    W00t, Ghost is canon baby... well maybe..

16. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Dang! I was gonna say that :(

Someone remind me what story Ghost is again. Where does it appear?

17. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I love it!! :D [face_blush] =D= [face_dancing] =D=

I read the spoilers because I was SO sure Quin was going to get vaped, or Kahleen was going to turn out to be an agent of Sidious, or something dark like that... and, y'know - I'm glad it's not like that! :D

So, why don't Tholme, Tr'a and Quin don't make contact with Luke...?

Well, it's possible they'll run into more trouble during the Purge... but Tholme and Quin always did prefer working from the shadows...

And I guess this means that Ghost might be canon after all, too...

So: Tholme, Tr'a and Quin... A'Sharad and Dass Jennir fighting guerilla wars... occasional encounters from Zao... I wonder what Farmboy thinks of Velknoid soup? :p

Jan, John, Randy, and everyone else involved in this - thank you! :D :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

18. QuinineVos

Jun 16, 2005

"Someone remind me what story Ghost is again. Where does it appear?"

"Ghost" was in, I believe, Tales # 12, and in it, Quin, or a ghost of Quin encounters a young Han Solo while on the run from Imperials.

19. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    thanks! :)

20. Matth_Katarn

Matth_Katarn Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2004
    For me, it really seems hard to believe that Quinlan could give up its search so easily... I hope he would do everything to kill Palpy ^^"

I've never believed that Quinlan would die in Rep#83, but I read the interview of Jan Duursema in Insider # 84 when she said "Now that it's over, Duursema finds no small measure of heartbrek in the farewell. "I've experienced the lives of these characters for the past five years, and I'm terrible at goodbyes, so ending this makes me sad, "she says. "A part of me will always be with Quin and Aayla. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to let them go."

Finally, one of my favourite UE characters will stay alive ^^

Moreover, Ghost should be "canon" ^^

Quinlan, may the Force be with you ;)

21. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    This might be a good place to mention this: that George Lucas fella that so many posters were bad-mouthing over in the "No More Wookiee Jedi" thread is directly responsible for the ending of this story.

So, everybody, repeat after me, "We so sorry, Mr. Lucas. We should never have doubted you."

22. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Interesting... so Lucas is a Vos fan?

EDIT: I.e., could you clarify if possible Randy? I'm very interested in hearing just what input Lucas had...

23. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Awesome issue :D Hopefully this will lead to a spinoff series later this year as I'd rather see Quin in a comic than on TV where they could totally mess up his character.

24. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [face_laugh]

[face_laugh]

[face_laugh]

=D=

Kudos, all of you. Thanks, George. :D

And - on the back of that, I have an awful feeling that wild_karrde may be wrong again... :p

[face_laugh]

- The Imperial Ewok

25. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    So, is there an epilogue or something showing us the birth of Vos' kid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.