main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #4: Noob

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Thanks, Horsey. Aside from Doole and a cancelled book of yesteryear, I've always thought Star Wars lacks two alien species: ribbiting frogs, and avians. The toad even had a harem. [face_laugh]

2. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Ex, there's a large handful of avian-derived species in Star Wars.

See http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Avian_and_airborne_sentient_species

If anything, Star Wars has a scarcity of canine based species. I mean, the Defel and the Shista-"I can never spell the name correctly" Wolfmen are the only two named canine sapient species that I know of from Star Wars.

3. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Blast! Lost my post . . .

Reloading . . .

You can't go wromg with dogs; I've made use of mutts myself. With the right persona you can have a dance.

If I don't recognise most of those names you helpfully provided that means they're not in mainstream books. A few were mentions from guides, others more winged creatures than actual avians. SW lacks any bird species. Don't remember what else I typed, but this time I'm hitting the right switch to send. [face_mischief]

4. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Okay...I just remembered a couple of other canines:

--The Amarans: Fox-like species known for being great traders (from Wildlife of Star Wars)

--The Nelvaanians (from the Clone Wars microseries)

Anyway, I think it's time to get this thread back on topic.... ;)

5. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Is this issue really titled Noob? Until now I thought it was a fan name, when it occurred to me it's out, being discussed, so it must have a name. It's really called . . . Noob?

6. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Yes Ex, its really titled Noob.

7. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah and I'd like to clear something up. "Noob" I recall being used back in my Boy Scout days. (BTW, I was the world's WORST Boy Scout.) If it's used in games and such, I was not aware and probably would've avoided it had I known.

-- John

8. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    Artist choice. My character description in the script put him in his twenties.

-- John

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    EXACTLY! Did people honestly not know that the term "newbie" and it's shortened form "noob" were around for a very long time?

10. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Naw, they're all a bunch of post-www peach-fuzzy babes.:cool:

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    OK, so he just looks older than he is. Good enough.:D

12. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, I'll have to take responsibility for the Lieutenant's age. If there had been time after the art came in to make adjustments, I would have.

Hey, maybe I can make alterations before the collection!

And I can change the title to something that won't push so many buttons.

13. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Personally, I prefer my Imperial Lieutenants a little wrinkled. It didn't worry me. First the poor guy was demoted, then nearly Quarren food. That ages a person.

And changing the title would merely confuse us; please don't trouble yourself.

14. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't jerk us around Randy, we know how you love to push buttons.:p

Or need I remind you of a certain passage on Zaadja?;)

15. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ex
    Weren't those things Jabba was eating froglike?

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
  17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    See!! There were ribbits!!!

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

[face_laugh] I'm such an idiot. Part of me was seeing this discussed for a week or two, the other part wondering when the official name would come out to replace what I thought was a fan fill-in in the interim. Last night it suddenly clicked. [face_blush]

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm fine with both actually. Frankly, when the "Handbook to Legacy" comes out, just feel free to fill in more about the old codger ;-)

20. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    don't forget moruuth doole was hop-hopping along in glitterstim wonderland too

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    =P~
    [zombie_voice]Legacy Sourceboooooooooooook[/zombie_voice]

22. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Some post facto thoughts on the Jokers and Lieutenant Cassel....

1.) Is the squad normally four troopers, one sergeant, and one lieutenant?

It seems that veteran senior personnel form one-third of the unit, and the attrition of the junior personnel makes that an odd balance, especially as we're told Lieutenants have the highest casualty rate...

But at the end of #4, we see the squad down to just one, plus a reinforcement - so perhaps the Jokers are already down from a higher "standard" strength at the start...?

On the other hand, it could be that the lieutenant - and maybe even the sergeant - are attached to a larger unit: "Company C" is named as the parent unit, and with the Empire of the Hand in "Fool's Bargain" and Survivor's Quest, we see squads of four troopers (without sergeants) formed directly into companies.

So the apparent attachment of a Sergeant and Lieutenant to a specific squad could just be a "trick of perspective" in the story...

2.) Why does Lt. Cassel look old for his position.

It seems that this was the artist's decision, not planned by Randy/John... but hey, we can find explanations, right? :p :cool:

He might have been demoted or held down at that rank - remember, Veers died as a mere Captain...

Or could be be a clone? Perhaps some Imperials have adopted this as their reproductive method of choice. He could be 25/30 with a x2 aeging acceleration...

Alternatively, he could be a Navy Lieutenant, a somewhat higher-ranking officer - we've seen officers addressed as "Lieutenant" as the first officers of several Star Destroyers (ie, at ranks up to the approximate equivalent of battalion commanders in the Army).

So what's a Navy officer doing commanding stormtroopers?

Well, we don't know much about stormtrooper officer ranks anyway - even if past evidence tends to indicate that they use "Army" ranks, this could have changed in a century, and in Survivor's Quest, we saw a starfighter officer (temporarily) commanding stormies - so while it's probably anomalous to have a Navy man leading stormies, it's probably not impossible either....

So perhaps "Lieutenant" Cassel is the commanding officer of Company C or even Battalion 9, and Joker Squad are his personal bodyguard detail....

This works for me. :cool:

Explains what they're doing with Cassel in the very front line of the attack, and with the Sith taking such an interest.

Trask's comment about "Lieutenants" taking casualties - could mean something like "battalion officers"?

And his interpretation could be an innoecent mistake, disguising the fact that officers either get shot by their own men, or perhaps choked by various Sith...

[face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    wasnt Madine a Colonel when he commanded the Storm Commandos?

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yet, Janek Sunber was promoted to "Commander"

(my personal retcon is Janek Sunber is a Stormtrooper officer and not in the infantry)

25. WhoYaGonnaCall37

WhoYaGonnaCall37 Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2006
    Good luck. If you wanna avoid pushing the buttons of thefolks who think noob never meant anything before it meant n00b, you'd have to change noob all over the issue. Not worth it, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.