main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bah, I give in! Knights of the Old Republic comic series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Alright, I give up. :p

I read Legacy. I read Rebellion. I read Dark Times. With the new Vector coming out, I figure it is time that I catch up on the Knights of the Old Republic comic series.

I am posting this because I am curious if the TPB's cover issues sequentially, or if I should just hunt down each single issue.

Also, I have not really followed fan response to this series, so is it a series worth investing some time and money into?

Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

2. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    KOTOR=very yes.

It's usually hilarious, and the story's pretty good. There are more hiccups in the art than any of the rest of the comics out there, but it's all-around awesome.

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Buying TPB's is the best way of getting the issues collected so far.

And it's the best SW comic currently.

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    IMO it is the best EU being put out. Period. So yes, it is worth it ;)

To my knowledge both the TPB's are in chronological order, except they put the "Flashpoint Interlude" after Flashpoint, rather than in the middle. I think this was how they were originally planning on releasing it anyway.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You've got Commencement and Flashpoint, the first two TPBs, already out. The next TPB is coming out sometime this winter. It's a fantastic series, not as good as Legacy IMO, but it's got great characters, a great plot, and a very well-handled sense of mystery. Where Legacy is "a new saga", KOTOR is "ANH if Luke had never gotten past hooking up with Han" set in the Mandalorian Wars. It's quite good, and if you're interested in following Vector as it happens, I suggest you get the first two TPBs, maybe wait for the third, and meanwhile track down the six issues between the third TPB and Vector (not all which, of course, are out yet).

But yeah, it's definitely worth an investment.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Nick, you MUST get these! Personally, they're my favorite of the four series (Legacy being a close second, only because I think it's lacking in humor and gets a little angsty). As was said, the continuously changing art gets annoying, but the story more than makes up for that.

7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Go for it. It's not quite as good as Dark Times or Legacy, but that's not really its fault. :p

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, the response seems overwhelmingly positive. I called my local comic shop, who are now holding both TPB's for me. Once I read through those I will track down the other issues. :)

--Adm. Nick

9. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    No, it's better! :p

They could cancel all of the other EU and I'd still be happy with just KOTOR.

10. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would say this or Legacy are the best out there right now.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The different art styles are a bit jarring at times, but most of the artwork is of high quality, and anyway, the art isn't that bad, and the story definitely more than makes up for it.

So, yes, definitely get it. I used to just wait for the TPBs for Star Wars comics (for Republic and Empire), but then I got the first KotOR TPB and... well, now I'm getting each issue monthly as I simply can't wait to find out what happens next.

I still think Legacy is slightly better, but only because its closer to Luke's time. Zayne is still one of my favorite EU characters.

12. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    I concur.

13. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    In regards to the art, I think it's been spot on all the way through. Pick it up Nick, I know you're going to go cuckoo for cocopuffs over all the cool Republic and Mando ships.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There really isn't much between KOTOR and Legacy.

KOTOR is better at using humour to balance out its darkness and has more engaging characters, but Legacy has the greater ambition of the two and Duursema art, which just about gives it the edge but it really is very, very close.

JB

15. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Legacy has the advantage of having absolutely no future stories to eventually sync up with. Truly anything can happen.

KOTOR is sandwiched between the Exar Kun Sith Wars and KOTOR 1+2 so certain things are predictable in some respects.

-The Rebel Gungan

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Are they? I've never been certain just how much or little linkage there is between KOTOr the comics and games bar the name.

17. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    There isn't a ton of linkage between the games and the comics YET.

Part of the fun of the KOTOR series is speculating if any of the characters we know of now will become the Sith Lords or other characters from the game.

We have also seen Carth Onasi, Vandar, Admiral Saul Karath, among others.

We also have Alek (maybe Malak) and his master the Revanchist leader (almost too obvious to actually be Revan)

There have been virtually no links between KOTOR the comic and the older TOTJ Jedi comics thus far. And that makes this anti-authority Gungan sad. I would love to see Nomi or Vima Sunrider come along somewhere or the a visit to Yavin 4 with a haunting by Exar Kun. There are a number of TOTJ characters we could see, but haven't.

-The Rebel Gungan

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, there have been links: Homecoming makes it clear that the events of TOTJ spawned the Covenant.

And Legacy doesn't have enough humor? Bah! There may not be the Gryph, but there are a lot of more subtle one-liners in there. KOTOR has a more Wraith Squadron in-your-face style of humor, but Legacy has a more OT sense of humor.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have to give KOTOR some points you know, it can't be a Legacy walk-over! ;)

20. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It's certainly better than Dark Times and Rebellion and equal to Legacy in almost every way. Out of curiousity, why haven't you been reading it?

21. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Buy it. You'll be glad you did.

22. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    KotOR is the best current Star Wars comic!!!!!

23. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    I'm kind of bias because I love the games and they're what made me want to read the comics. The art might be better on legacy, but I don't think the story is. I'm not big on Star Wars stories set after the movies. It's kind of like people saying the prequels ruined the OT. Well, I think that way about the post movie stories. Basically the ones right after ROTJ. So like I said, I'm kind of bias.

24. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I also think it's great that KOTOR remains with the main story and the main characters while Legacy has these filler stories every once in a while, like that Trooper and that Darth Generic stories. While they help flesh out the era (to a degree - especially the Trooper story could have been set in every Empire story, regardless of era), I like KOTOR's model of concentration better.

25. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Out of all four series Dark Times definitely has the best art, but KOTOR has the most brain-meltingly intrigue-laden plots of any comic book I've ever read. It has humor, it has action, it has a Padwan on the run, a Snivvian con-artist and more twists then then a queasy roller-coaster.

And it also has Mandos. Lots of Mandos.

Buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.