main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

30 Years of Expanding the Universe, A Jedi Council event: The Top 100 EU Moments RESULTS!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha. Probably tonight before 10 est, tomorrow at the latest.

2. Beskargirl

Beskargirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2007
    I can't wait that long. I'll go crazy!!!!!!:_| :_| :_| :_|

:p

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You mean you haven't already? I must be slipping.

4. Beskargirl

Dec 2, 2007
    Okay, so I'll go more crazy if I have to wait that long:p

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    #5- Death of Chewbacca; New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
    "It took a freakin' moon to take out one of the most loyal sidekicks in history."
    "There was not a more fitting end for the big furball."
    "Chewbacca lived a hero, and he died a hero. That final image of Chewbacca roaring at his destruction was intense and extremely symbolic. This proved that the NJO was going to be far different to what had come before."
    "The first death of a really major character, Chewbacca's passing was pitch-perfect in tone. To be outfought would diminish him; instead, it took a cataclysm to destroy him, and he died rescuing others and fulfilling his life-debt, saving Han Solo's son in a gesture far more poignant than saving Han himself."
    "Oh Force, this was absolutely heartrending. It was very appropriate- Chewie died like a hero, but so very sad!"
    "I never really was much into the old wookiee, but I must say this scene was powerfully well-written. It took a moon to kill the mighty Chewbacca!"
    "I almost cried when I first read this, and it still gripped me when I reread it years after it hit shelves. It was an epic death for an icon -- if he had to go, this was the way to do it."

"You left him, you left Chewie!"
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/f/f6/Chewbacca_Sernpidal.jpg] [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/58/Chew45.jpg]

#4- Coruscant Falls to the Yuuzhan Vong; New Jedi Order: Star By Star
    "Another one of those "I couldn't imagine it would actually happen" moments courtesy of the NJO."
    "Epic and the perfect way to cap the ESB feel of SBS. Sure, Coruscant had fallen several times before, but it always just switching out one government for another, but this...this felt like the end of civilization."
    "the darkest, saddest moment in the NJO, and perhaps in the EU. Coruscant is plunged into figurative night. Pure awesome. bel Iblis' desperate fight, ignoring orders; Kre'fey following orders unhappily, Luke and Mara unable to rescue Ben, Leia and Han trying to rescue Fey'lya... incredible."
    "Star by Star is an amazing book. From the Jedi strike team, to the Eclipse base to Anakins death the book flies through so much that it takes your breath away. But it is the climax of the invasion of Coruscant, when despair should be high, that inspires the most hope. Leia's speech, the recovery of Ben and, most amazingly, Borsks redemption leave the reader with hope for the Galaxy, the Republic and the Jedi Order."
    "Anakin's dead. How much worse can it get? Then the Yuuzhan Vong take the capital and throw the New Republic into shambles. The coverage of the event was masterful, using news reports to gain a sense of both immediacy and distance and the position of the common citizens, watching as the horrid truth becomes clear: Coruscant, civilization, will fall. We watch as the New Republic is put in the gut-wrenching situation of having to fire on its own citizens, as the Yuuzhan Vong relentlessly beat down the capital's seemingly impenetrable defenses. We watch as Han and Leia try to evacuate, and Ben Skywalker is kidnapped, and Luke and Mara fail to rescue him. Yet amidst all the carnage, there is brightness. Leia gives a tear-jerkingly inspirational speech. Lando and the YVH droids kick the hell out of the Vong and find Ben. It's a truly epic event, and it gets treated as such."
    "Portraying hhis event would intimidate any writer ... but not Troy Denning. Leia's speech and Borsk Fey'Lya's gambit are priceless."
    "Very emotionally powerful. Well-written and it fit within the book very well. Just amazing."
    "Large scale battles are rarely executed this well in novels, and this one was just spectacular."

"This is a war we know how to win. Keep fighting until you can fight no longer, then exhaust the enemy chasing you, and turn and fight some more. Keep fighting. I promise you, we will prevail."
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/b/bb/88658_620_41.jpg]

#3- You Are Revan; Knights of the Old Republic
    "Didn't see that coming. You just blew my mind BioWare."
    "N

Darth Knightmare likes this.
  6. Beskargirl

Dec 2, 2007

7. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Satisfactory I suppose...except...

Where is Kyle?

Revan makes the top 5 and no Kyle in his greatest moment?

Kyle fans...you have failed me...

If you ever were truly Kyle fans to begin with.

_______

I guess the Imperial Palace fight is the EUs best kept secret. :D

And both my moments from the Han Solo Trilogy get snubbed...*sigh* I did note a general lack of smuggler goodness in this list...very Jedi-heavy.

Oh well...I guess 16 of 20 isn't that bad...means I'm not a complete tool to the masses![face_dancing]

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If it makes you feel any better, you'll always be a tool to me. ;) [face_laugh]

Kyle's main presence on the list seems to be his JO recovery of the Force moment.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Did I mention Pellaeon made the top ten=D=. Also a note to DelRey or whomever picks up the new novels contract, the top nine moments didn't revolve around the big three, maybe something to think about for the future............

10. _Erasmus_

_Erasmus_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 2, 2007
    I am rather surprised that Ganner's Last Stand was number 1, but the list seems to reflect most of my views.

11. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    As much as people like to bash it, the NJO owned that list.

xezene likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it ended up being fairly well balanced, considering the size of the NJO (and really, it seem more like SBS, Traitor and the EL duology dominated, as opposed to the NJO as a whole (though almost every standalone and duology has one moment present). I count (including DNT moments) 20 NJO entries out 100, so 1/5th the list, with the top 10 being split 50/50 between NJO/non-NJO moments.

13. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Was hoping Maarek Stele and Vader's Defender flight would make it. Perfect foreshadowing (though it took place afterwards, of course) for the opening of Episode III.

Great list, regardless.

14. Master-Chief-Kenobi

Master-Chief-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2007
    Good list overall. I Burst out laughing when I read "jacen vs luke vs the chair." Very glad & surprised not to see any Jacen stuff near the top. Not at all surprised not to see the big 3 very much since the novels rarely ever let them do anything other then hover in the background doing nothing of importance. Surprised to see anything from SBS rate so high cause to me that book was very poorly planned & Executed and how things unfolded didn't make any sense to me. However seeing so many Anikan Solo moments in the top 5 pleased me greatly at the same time. So yeah, fantastic list overall. But everyone has different opinions. Kudos on #1. I was shocked & immensely pleased that #1 wasn't a sky-solo moment.

15. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    ...and now I have nothing to look forward to every morning.

We need another countdown. :p

16. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Ganner's Last Stand won?! I wasn't expecting that but I'm overjoyed! I'm totally vindicated! It is the most mythic and legendary moment in the EU!

17. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Great...well now my job for the morning will be to take the list and rearrange it to my liking!

HAHA![face_devil]

Actually, it's not bad...I'm not surprised by the NJO inclusions...you can have good moments, GREAT moments, and still not be great overall.

Matter of Fact, I know personally, I've gone back and read several of the moments on this list from NJO...but I've never read the whole series again.

NJO was suppose to kick things up a notch...it was suppose to be epic...so we can say safely that they succeeded in that department...

___

And Here it is!
    Wow...ok..maybe not as in agreement as I first thought.

In case it's not obvious, the second set of numbers was the "official" ranking.
    ___

1.#38 (tied)- Insertion of Jedi Strike Team onto Occupied Coruscant & Lando's Escape; New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines Duology
    2.#20 (tied)- Destruction of the Starforge and the defeat of Darth Malak; Knights of the Old Republic
    3.#57- Leia and Grand Admiral Pellaeon discuss The Bastion Accords; Hand of Thrawn: Vision of the Future
    4.#5- Death of Chewbacca; New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
    5.#4- Coruscant Falls to the Yuuzhan Vong; New Jedi Order: Star By Star
    6.#1- Ganner's Last Stand; New Jedi Order: Traitor
    7.#35- The Liberation of Coruscant from the Empire; X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
    8.#62 (tied)- Destruction of the Iron Fist and Warlord Zsinj by Han in the Falcon; The Courtship of Princess Leia
    9.#82 (tied)- Battle of Sluis Van; Heir to the Empire
    10.#32 (tied)- Vader Destroys the Skyhook: The Death of Xizor; Shadows of the Empire
    11.#6- Death of Thrawn; The Last Command
    12.#10- Luke and Leia Unite to Defeat the Resurrected Emperor-; Dark Empire
    13.#67 (tied)- Chewie Rescues Han From the Yevetha; Black Fleet Crisis
    14.#79 (tied)- The "Supposed" death of Exar Kun and his awakening within his tomb; Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War & The JAT.
    15.#91- The Final defeat of Exar Kun; Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force & I, Jedi.
    16.#93- Kir Kanos vs. Carnor Jax; Crimson Empire
    17.#8- "The Empire will always strike back."; New Jedi Order: Force Heretic: Remnant
    18.#34- Kyp Durron uses the Sun Crusher to destroy Carida and then tries to rescue his brother; Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force
    19.#13- Luke proposes to Mara; Hand of Thrawn: Vision of the Future
    20.#12- "This is how Anakin Skywalker feels, forever."; Revenge of the Sith
    21.#24- Luke kneels before Palpatine and begins to fall towards the Dark Side; Dark Empire
    22.#26 (tied)- Han Solo & Boba Fett confront each other on Jubilar; The Last One Standing: The Tale of Boba Fett
    23.#49- Vader tries to heal; Shadows of the Empire
    24.#75 (tied)- Thrawn's Introduction; Heir to the Empire
    25.#60- Luke and Mara meet for the first time; Heir to the Empire
    26.#38 (tied)- Operation Emperor's Spear; New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines: Rebel Stand
    27.#29- Ton Phanan's Death; X-Wing: Iron Fist
    28.#17- Luke Defeats Shimrra; New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
    29.#32 (tied)- Corran Horn vs. Shedao Shai; New Jedi Order: Dark Tide: Ruin
    30.#37- Darth Bane discovers Darth Revan's holocron; Path of Destruction
    31.#45- Enter General Grievous; Clone Wars: Volume 1
    32.#2- Death of Anakin Solo; New Jedi Order: Star By Star
    33.#15- Wedge Against Two Squadrons of Coralskippers; New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines: Rebel Stand
    34.#22- The 501st Kneels Before the True Emperor; Legacy: Broken
    35.#11- Rain falls to the dark side and becomes Darth Zannah; Jedi vs. Sith
    36.#9- Yoda and Dooku's debates; Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    37.#85- Jacen vs. Onimi; New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force.
    38.#19- Luke, With 2 Lightsabers, Rescues Jacen; New Jedi Order: Onslaught
    39.#23- The Final Showdown with Joruus C'baoth & Fulfilling The Last Command; The Last Command
    40.#31- Operation Emperor's Hammer; New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines: Rebel Dream
    41.#54- The Force is Again Your Ally: Kyle Katarn recovers the Force; Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    42.#40- Death of Borsk Fey'lya; New Jedi Order: Star by Star

18. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I didn't vote for Ganner, but I'm not complaining: it's a great scene.

19. JainaSolo00

JainaSolo00 Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2007
    Congrats Ganner! Overall, I'm thrilled by this list. Thanks for all your work on it!

And I certainly missed the boat on this...But the chair... [face_laugh]

20. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    That's a great list.

Thanks to all that took the time to put it all together. And thanks for including some of my quotes -- I'm happy to be a part of this.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The top five is good. The only ones that surprised me were Revan and Coruscant's fall.

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Wow, guys-- you're actually three for five on the top quintent! I'm vaguely pleased with your moderately good taste. :)

And, heck, the other two are easily in my list of most loltastic EU moments, so that counts, right?

23. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think it would be interesting to have a publishing date breakdown for this - it's interesting how many recent scenes have made it into this list as compared to all the mid-nineties stuff, but maybe that's warped perception on my part. 8-}

Although it wouldn't prove anything, we still wouldn't know whether 1) EU has become better, 2) memories have become shorter or 3) a significant group of participants comes from a "younger" generation that simply prefers modern EU.

One example would be KOTOR coming in at three while the then-definitive SW game, Jedi Knight, didn't really make the list at all (the thought bomb release doesn't really count). There's also a lot of recent scenes from LOTF, plus 4 of 5 top 5 moments coming from the "moderately well despised" "shaking things up" NJO series.

24. TheGanner_825

TheGanner_825 Jedi Knight

Feb 7, 2008
    I am extremely happy with the count down.

ps. Where is everyone finding the LotF pics?

25. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.