main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jan Duursema Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Thanks so much, Gatherer! You should be seeing Rasi Tuum in issue 45, I think!

2. cindrollic99

cindrollic99 Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2007
    I love Jan's stuff. I think Legacy has some of the best comic book art I've ever seen (Not just Star Wars) I even think her early stuff, like the Darth Maul 4 issue series, is great.

3. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Thanks, cindrollic99--appreciate it and very happy to hear you like Legacy!

4. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm really enjoying it too...I'm enjoying it more than the novels right now.

5. Krados

Krados Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Well it has been some time since I?ve posted and I usually just lurk the boards anyways (eight years....woot) but after reading Legacy #45 I just had to write again. In summation, WOW! You and John have knocked this Monster arc out of the park. The stuff on Wayland, all of it, was so expressive and powerful, it is something that has rarely been seen in Star Wars and I believe that your art just keeps getting better. Though, to be fair, you better take a break or your hand may fall off!

And John?s writing keeps me on my seat. I want to get to Korriban (finally! Love the Sith!), see if Blue is saved, and if Cade will fall. All right now. :)

Truly, as someone who has become bored with what I feel is the formulaic storytelling, rehashed plots, and crass commercialization of Star Wars over the years, Legacy has been the shining jewel which shows the true heart of the series: characters that matter, in situations that are complex, all in a quasi-mythological setting. This series ranks right up there with the Original Trilogy and Thrawn series as, what I feel, is the best the series has ever had. So thanks again for contributing so much to the series, the ethos, and also making yourself available to the fans like this.

And I really, really can?t wait for #46 and this three part series from #48-50 where we go to Korriban!!! And learn the truth??!?

6. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hi, Jan D.,

I?m really going to miss your art when Star Wars: Legacy comes to its conclusion with issue #50. :( Images like Deliah in an Elektra-style bandanna really made my day. [face_dancing] With just four issues remaining (darn it!), would there be some way to work in a view of Deliah in a dress or with short hair? Seems to me that she?s enough of an established character so that pants-type outfits or long hair isn?t necessary for ID. Or how about a glimpse of a clean-shaven, hair-combed Cade as an adult? I mean, c?mon ? even Jeriah tided himself up and shaved once in a while! :D

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Hey Jan, just got the Fate of Dac issue and loved it. I was just wondering how old Admiral Grail is supposed to be? He looks anywhere from early 30's to late 40's.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Amen.

I was wondering if you could help me out, Jan? I have a really nitpicky specific question about your art that only us hardcore forum-goers would bother with. I know that it was two years ago, but do you happen to recall... the four Jedi who were on the cover of the second Hidden Temple issue but didn't actually appear inside ended up being in Issue #42. Buuuuut a Nikto and a Bothan are actually visible in one panel of The Hidden Temple, chillin' with Wolf Sazen --- when you drew them, did you intend for them to be Drok and Sayar Dun'La?

And while I've got you here... you don't happen to know if Rasi Tuum has a first name, like his siblings Ahn and Zho do, do you? O:) I'ma just curious, is all.

9. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Finally in...a link to my poster for this years CV!

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=http://www.rebelscum.com/c5/artprints/Duursema_c5.jpg&text=Jan%20Duursema,%20No%20price%20listed,%20Limited%20to%20250

10. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Jan, what do you think the chances are that we will ever see Doug Wangler costumed as Antares Draco? I know he'd have to cut his hair, but gods... I'd love to see it. [face_love] =P~ [face_love] Because I love Draco... and stuff. [face_batting]

11. Joe_Garelli

Joe_Garelli Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2007
    Jan it was really nice to meet you in person at Star Wars Celebration V, i loved talking to you and i enjoy Legacy 50 too, very good ending to the even though its not an ending really.

Sorry if i didnt come back but i noticed that you were busy on Sunday and it was late in the day, i had lots of fun and got a lot of stuff and pictures, met a lot of cool people too.

12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Hey Jan it was great talking to you at C5! (Even though it was mostly praising you most of the time lol)

#50 was beautiful, and I'm really excited to see Darth Krayt's new army...we know you'll do a great job on War!

13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So Jan, are the fleet shots in the upcoming War miniseries going to be even more epic than your AMAZING stuff in Legacy #47? :D

--Adm. Nick

14. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Yeah, I know everyone's on FaceBook, but what they heck--I think I will post some captures of Quinlan Vos from 'Hunt for Ziro' here anyways... It's so totally cool that a character who started out in Star Wars Republic made it to an animated feature. Simply put, I enjoyed this episode totally! Loved the byplay between Vos and Kenobi!!

[image=http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/Dragon1327/QUIN_KENOBI2.jpg]

[image=http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/Dragon1327/QUIN_KENOBI.jpg]

[image=http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff236/Dragon1327/QUIN.jpg]

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was a little worried before I saw the episode, but I think they portrayed him really well. Next thing you know we'll see A'Sharad or Sora Bulq. It was cool to see psychometry on the show as well, since we rarely see powers other than force push, force visions and mind trick, it seems.

16. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Jan,
    I was wondering if Hondo Karr's storyline gets resolved at all in Legacy War. Or if we even hear from him, like, ever again.

LONG LIVE HONDO!

17. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Heh--seeing A'Sharad Hett would be soo cool... Sora Bulq is from the films--we just used him in the comic.

18. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Cool character, though I never got to draw anything with Hondo in it. Always thought it would be awesome to have him and Cade meet up sometime.

19. Krados

Krados Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    So, its been awhile and after seeing the preview for War #1....it's painful to remember the awesome that I have missed out of on a monthly basis. If your pencil and John's pen can do wrong, I've yet to see it.

Thanks for not only sharing your talent with us but..you know...actually having it.

I have said it before and I say it again...THIS is what I consider Star Wars.

20. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Jan,
    I just read the preview for War #1. Is there any significance to Krayt's armor change?

21. masterthon88

masterthon88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2009
    Jan, any chance of seeing Rasi Tuum and the other Jedi masters in the new series?

22. Jan_Duursema

May 15, 2001
    Krados posted: "So, its been awhile and after seeing the preview for War #1....it's painful to remember the awesome that I have missed out of on a monthly basis. If your pencil and John's pen can do wrong, I've yet to see it.

Thanks for not only sharing your talent with us but..you know...actually having it.

I have said it before and I say it again...THIS is what I consider Star Wars."

Thanks, Krados! Seeing posts like yours make it all worthwhile. Happy to bring Legacy back to you all. :cool:

jedimaster203 posted: "Jan, I just read the preview for War #1. Is there any significance to Krayt's armor change?"

Absolutely! Part of the Vong armor he wore was growing out of his skin, so with the Vong disease that was eating him healed, it was only right that he put aside the rest of the armor and adopted a new look for himself. He is reborn in every sense of the word.

masterthon88 posted: "Jan, any chance of seeing Rasi Tuum and the other Jedi masters in the new series?"

Keep your eyeballs peeled. We will be seeing Jedi! I'm very excited about what is coming up in this series--so much so, it's tough sometimes to keep quiet about it, but I shall remain silent as a Sith tomb..." :p

23. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Of course we'll be seeing Jedi. Actually, the Jedi are my one complaint about Legacy: At this point, the Jedi should realize that there's a reason Palpatine was able to subvert and ultimately destroy the Jedi Order. It's like Luke Skywalker didn't even exist!

Or it could be that the Imperial Knights are the true heirs of Luke's teachings, except for the part of the "Emperor as the embodiment of the will of the Force" thing. (Then again, Palpatine was the embodiment of the dark side, and even said as much to Luke.)

That said, I love the art in Legacy. It's actually my favorite part.

24. jedimaster203

Dec 19, 1999
    Jan, I just got ahold of WAR #1 (finally)

Quick question.

Why are none of the jedi ever shown with padawans? In the memorial scene, Shado is addressed as "Jedi Master", so it would be awesome to show him passing on his special brand of awesome to the next generation.

25. pitsburySC

pitsburySC Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2003
    A few years back, I posted a picture in this thread about the most beautiful poster EVER. So some 6 years later, I finally framed it:
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7427/posterc32005.jpg
    I still and will always find it awesome :)