main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars: Agent of the Empire; new series by John Ostrander

Discussion in 'Literature' started by xoubara, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I hope we don't get a bunch of relatives of characters we know from the surrounding timeline, such as the Clone War era and the Rebellion/New Republic era.

I don't want everyone's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommates to show up.

I don't want Quinlan Vos, Tholme, K'Kruhk, A'Sharad Hett or anyone like that showing up, either.

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Ahh, just checked the Wook - if it's intertrilogy, Armand is still in charge.

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's pretty much a perfect concept (James Bond in Star Wars) and the area of spy adventures, intelligence work, and secret agents is woefully underexplored in the EU. I'm really looking forward to this, and Ostrander is well suited to it. The fact that he's an Imperial is an odd twist, though -- is he going to be a non-heroic protagonist, a good Imperial, or the subject of a defection plotline?

4. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    [face_dancing]

Now we need to know more about the Untitled Jan and John series. It could be about the Second Galactic Civil War, or maybe about the secret history of the Hat [face_mischief]

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well that's just it, isn't it but John's got a track record of doing very good stories with what appear to quite dubious characters.

6. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm sure we'll get a great story out of it. I just really hope we avoid a defection storyline; it's so cliche. Even done well, it's hard to help feeling that it's the same preordained arc of every Imperial protagonist.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but this is 3 years pre-ANH, before Tarkin blew up Alderaan - so it's far easier to believe in the Empire as emodying order and law.

8. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    If thats the case, I do hope we see Ysanne planning his downfall and perhaps Cronal in the background as well since I always found the black projections of him quite... disturbing to see...

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yay, new series by Mr. Ostrander! Not sure I really care about it though, to be honest. Imperial James Bond in space does sound sorta cool, but not sure I really care about an Imperial protagonist. Either they're nice, but then they'd probably defect sooner or later, or they're mean, so I care even less about reading about them (no offense, I'm sure the writing will be great, just not my main interest). Not to mention between the trilogies isn't my favorite time period, although this sounds like closer to Yavin than the actual Dark Times comic. Hm, wonder if there would be an official Rebellion yet or not (not sure what counts anymore after TFU). Still, a lot of potential to see a lot of characters from that time period (Vader of course, maybe Tarkin, either Isard, or various other Imps). I'll keep an eye on it in the future at least, glad to see him still writing.

10. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Interested, but not yet convinced. I´ll give Mr Ostrander the benefit of the doubt, of course.

11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    :eek:

Maybe so...

12. masterthon88

masterthon88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2009
    I like John Ostrander but this does not sound interesting at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Darth__Syphilis

Darth__Syphilis Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2010
    Dark Times + Bond homage + Ostrander =

Sold.

14. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I can definitely see this comic appealing to a smaller audience than Legacy. Not the other way around.

15. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hmm... I've never really been interested in this era if it doesn't involve Vader kicking butt, but this is something different and it's being done by John Ostrander, so I think I'll give it a try.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like an interesting subject. I wonder how large a role the Isards/Blackhole would play if they appear. Maybe this spy will work with the Emporer's Hands, seeing as at least Mara did a lot of spy work.

17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    John + Dark Times - Jedi = Yes.

18. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    Hi Gang.

I'm here to post more of the info that was given in the panel today.
    First of all, the artist is STEPHANE ROUX and he's is terrific. You've seen his work on the covers of THE DARK AGE.

The main character's name is JAHAN CROSS. We're starting in the era 3-0 BBY. Yes, we're doing it as a series of miniseries. The aim is to make each arc a complete story but there will be an overall narrative moving forward. Cross is a loyal Imperial; he believes that without it, everything goes to chaos and he has reasons to believe that. We'll get into his backstory as we go but don't expect it all at once in the first arc.

The robot pictured in the promo piece above is IN-GA 44 and she is Cross's companion and helper.

I do plan to have characters from that era show up as is appropriate and as the timeline allows. Part of the reason to take this different perspective is to use those characters without getting bogged down in the continuity for this era which is pretty tight.

"James Bond meets Star Wars" is a shorthand way of describing the series but it will be more than that. Cross is not Bond but the stories will be influenced by Bond, as well as Secret Agent, Jason Bourne, and so on.

Armand Ysard IS the head of Intelligence at this time and Ysanne IS around as another agent.

And, yes, Jan and I WILL be doing a series together (we're working on it now). It's not LEGACY and I can't say anything more about it for now. Yes, that means I have TWO series on which I'm working for Dark Horse. Yes, we want all your money.

Again, nothing was said here that wasn't said at the panel, so far as I know. And I think that's all for the moment. Hope it helps.

-- John

PS I'm very excited about this series and I think, if you give it a chance, you will be, too.

19. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    My favorite kind.

Seriously, sounds brilliant (Armand!). Haven't been looking forward to something this much in a long time.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ARMAND!

:D:D:D

If the Isards are in I'm completely psyched now!

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    This sounds awesome. :D

The ForceCast also reports that Leia and Winter may be featured, in addition to Isard.

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Mr. Ostrander, you have just earned 1 dedicated reader who doesn't read any Star Wars stuff anymore.

God bless you, sir.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Awesome news! Sounds great!

Johan Cross vs Ysanne Isard in:
    "Eye-Spy:
    Red Light/Blue Light"

;)

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    ARMAND! Loyalty!

EDIT: Also, I checked up on Roux's art, and it looks good.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    John - if DH is supposed to be focusing less on the Dark Times era for the time being, by what criteria is AotE exempt from that? Timeline placement? Subject matter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.