main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    They were listed in SW Gamer - there were listed as in the Outer Zuma. Zuma Sector is evidently all the subsectors from Inner and Outer Zuma, which makes sense.

2. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Query - has the homeworld of the Tarnabs (represented by Sen. Mon Not Rab) ever been established?

3. LordDarthPaxis

LordDarthPaxis Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 23, 2010
    I always thought that the planet was also called Tarnab.

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Wookieepedia agrees, but apparently the only source is from a non-fiction book about the PT. Currently there's no "Tarnab" listed in the Atlas Appendix.

5. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    didn't the Prequels Chronicles Book est. that?

Regarding Zuma--my bad. My Word document actually had correct info, but my database file did not. Mea culpa!

Am waiting to see if Deceived will have some of the update worlds I couldn't find sources for.

BTW the info on Garr'lst is from Knight Errant, a historical allusion by Jarrow Rusher,

"So you guys are like Gell'ach going into Kabal? or Revan before... what was it? Garr'lst? No, Cathar. I get my massacred cat people mixed up"

There is no "possible" about it...it is a definite "first mention"

Judgining by the Wookieepedia comments, the contributors to the article seem confused on whether Garrl'st is a planet or species name. From the quote, it is obviously a planet name. Rusher is comparing Treece and co.'s unsanctioned missions into Sith space to historical examples of unsanctioned Jedi missions in previous conflicts:
    1) Gell'ach going to Kabal
    2) Revan going to Cathar

the former event is new continuity, the latter is well-known part of the Revanchist's back-story:
    http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/9/96/Hoodedjediandalek.jpg

Since Kabal and Cathar are well-established planets, the parallel structure makes it clear that Garr'lst was a planet. "what was it" refers to the event of the massacre in question; apparently, both Cathar and Garrl'st are planets inhabited by felinoids who were historically massacred

6. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Catching up with stuff....

1) Yes, many are new.
    2) I-16, same as always.
    3) Likely no, but possible.
    4) Depends. The existence of a freestanding subsector implies a certain level of Republic recognition, but the line between the Republic/Empire and Wild Space is blurry.
    5) Freestanding subsectors should have been shown on the ORT map -- and perhaps one day we'll revise it to do so. They're discussed in the Atlas. The Jidlor Marches and Lannik Wilds were really just meant to be evocative names.

7. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The new "Minor" worlds were invented to account for mapping discrepancies between the Atlas and Knight Errant.

Of that list of systems, Gultanna, Manoe, Opitha Tren and Thory Prime were created for the appendix, basically for bookkeeping purposes so every sector would be associated with at least one system. The others are all established worlds.

8. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Iphar is indeed that homeworld.

Jalor vs. Jalorian Sodality and Marzoon vs. Marzoon Confederation: There's obviously some connection, but it's not spelled out.

Yes, Oktos Sector is named for the nebula.

Sebbadon was indeed in the UR in 3650 BBY.

I have no record of Doaskin ever being in Anoat -- help?

Rokaria was already mapped in Tynquay; the appendix listing in the ER was a draft placement that should have been updated.

9. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Final bits....

I too have Gap Nine in Iast.

Tarnab sounds like a reasonable guess, but I have no record of it being definitively identified as the Tarnab home system. Can't find a reference to that effect in Chronicles: The Prequels.

Terrelia is spelled that way in CWCE. If LFL opts for Terellia we'll follow suit.

10. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    That explains why Gap Nine doesn't have an entry in the Appendix, but do you know the origin of placing it in the Iast system? It comes from somewhere other than the original SWAJ source.

Cheers,

~ Eyrezer

11. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yeah, that's a weird one. My notes say Adventure Journal 7, p. 107, but I don't find anything to that effect there. Puzzling.

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Okay, by my count we have the following named sectors (not including those known to be subsectors):
    Core Worlds - 40
    Colonies - 19
    Inner Rim - 23
    Expansion Region - 24
    Mid Rim -144
    Outer Rim - 184

Of the Outer Rim regional sectors, we know at least six (Baxel, Zuma, Corporate, Allied Tion, Keldrath, Indrexu) that were not around pre-Empire.

So that means we have potentially 428 of the 1024 regional sectors... :D

13. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    I thought Oktos Nebula was were Ganath was, in Hutt Space very near Nal Hutta itself, so how can a sector be named for it?

I still can't figure out the original source of:

Bravis
    Denebrilla
    D'Nile
    Katalla
    Phr'sha

I assume "D'Nile" has some connection to Leland's tweet about adding "Denile/Denial" to the Holocron, though even then I was lost WHY he was doing that

14. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Some positive notes on CWAS continuity and the Atlas:
    With Season Three over, it's interesting how fortuitous that many of the war episodes have been set around the "foundry" of the Confederacy (as it's referred to in the Atlas). Even the inclusion of a different Raxus fits in - the Tion Hegemony plus the later split-off territories of the Allied Tion, Keldrath and Indrexu Sectors makes for a formidable knot of territory. (The Cronese Mandate is unknown, but considering they were mostly unmolested in the Imperial Era makes me think that they were neutral). Lianna would be an exception, but its separation from the rest of the territory was established back in Mission to Lianna. Murkhana, the HQ of the Corporate Alliance, lies just on the edge of the Cluster.
    I was concerned with the constant battles of Felucia, but realized that it's Commerce Guild territory - which is not at the time overtly members of the Confederacy, and its galactic position makes it logical for it to be on the 'frontlines' of the war.

15. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I won't presume to call it design instead of luck, but have noticed the same thing and been pleased.

It would be fun to do a sector gazetteer for somewhere in the "foundry," showing how the scars of the Clone Wars are still felt in the Imperial/NR/GFFA eras. Maybe someday....

16. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    One of the recent BTS videos showed Lucas and Filoni with a copy of the Atlas among several guide books during a production meeting. I wouldn't be surprised if they do consult the maps from time to time.

17. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yes please! =P~

IIRC, didn't the Tion Sector and it's surrounding regions join the New Republic and the Galactic Alliance?

--Adm. Nick

18. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Maybe in a "Secrets of the Nexus Route" kinda article? :cool:

19. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Yep, that would definitely be fun to explore. The Citadel's home sector (not that the Nexus Route necessarily starts there) would be a potentially good choice, because in that area of space you could also work in the remnants of the ancient Jedi presence and their role as watchmen on the Tion. (That stuff gets explored a bit in WARFARE -- plus there's a first-person account of a Tion raid that I cut but really want to find a new home for.) Hmm, intriguing. Maybe down the line a bit, if LFL is interested.

Re the Nexus route, one thing I felt we might have underplayed a bit in the ATLAS was that trade routes shift over time and vanish if not maintained through constant travel. If the Nexus route was highly unstable in the first place, it might not exist by the time of the Rebellion. You can see some of this thinking on the ATLAS historical maps -- the secondary trade routes ebb and flow, and we tried to make the changing routes fit with things such as the shifting borders of Hutt Space. But we probably could have called it out more strongly....

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Oooh, yeah now I see why Lol Sayu is relatively close to Ossus...

On that note, I did a mashup of places I remember from the movies and tv show that are quite close to one another and have Separatist connections.

Dantooine - Contested during the war due to its proximity to Muunilinst and Mygeeto.
    Ord Cestus - Contested during the war, then had a Republic medical facility stationed there.
    Serenno - Dooku's homeworld.
    Phindar - Home of the Citadel's turncoat warden, Osi Sobeck.
    Mandalore - Where Dooku attempted to gain a foothold.
    Maridun - Where General Durd tried to establish a base and test his defoliator.
    Arda - In proximity of which Eeth Koth was captured by Grievous.
    Lola Sayu - The site of the former Jedi-run, now-Separatist prison.
    Felucia - Wildly contested Separatist world close to important hyperlanes.
    Raxus - Ideological CIS homeworld and seat of the Separatist Senate.
    Iego - Site of CIS forces, later boobytrapped by them.
    Saleucami - Ostensibly under Separatist control, given Grievous moved his fleet there after capturing Koth, later heavily contested.
    Mon Calamari - Heavily contested during the war, will be seen in season 4.

Wow, that's a nice easter egg.:cool:

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It featured prominently in the Hydian Way and the Gordian Reach sections - especially the former. There's also the implication in the Arkanis Sector map that has the "old Corellian Run" that passes through Tatooine, showing that it occupied a very significant position in the past (not that the current routes that pass through it are anything to sneeze at).
    I'm guessing the Nexus Route is going to be showing up in future seasons, but it struck me as very similar to the Daragon Trail - from the Sith Worlds just off the Tion Cluster, to the Deep Core just behind Coruscant.
    It's funny, but reading the history of the Tion from Mission to Lianna I'm struck by a similar 'historical revisionism' vibe like the Mon Calamari retcon - the reference to the Tion Hegemony being a pathetic backwater that played out thousands of years ago... never mind that they had the rich and vibrant Allied Tion carved from them (and from the Atlas, two external sectors). It makes the usage of the Tionese worlds in X-Wing fortuitous as well, considering that they have a very strong incentive to passively allow the Alliance to operate in their territory (even if they hated the Republic as well).

Senator Thuv Shinev was said to represent "175 worlds" in the Tion Cluster in the NJO era.
    I have to wonder if the Tion Hegemony "reintegrated" to its former boundaries by then, or whether it remained split up.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Dac never joined the Confederacy, despite the fact that the Quarren Isolation League and Free Dac Engineers were members. Considering that Dac remained a Republic member throughout the Clone Wars, it would make more sense add Pammant to that list in its place.

To be honest, I imagine that the Calamari Sector was quite an active front during the Clone Wars, considering how the Dac and the Mon Calamarians colonies supported the Republic and the Quarren colonies supported the Seppies. Makes for a very violent region, at least until Republic forces gain the upper hand.

--Adm. Nick

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Unfortunately, CWAS could change that. :( Saleucami, once one of the Techno Union's "mech-worlds" and also their largest remaining hold at the end of the war, is hard to reconcile with the farming world that Grievous tries to escape. Possibly the best solution would be - much like Raxus or Bothawui - that the world is in the same system or nearby to the "other" Saleucami.

24. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It was heavily contested, as were other planets on the list, not necessarily Separatist.

I tried only adding planets relevant to the movies and the tv show. I added Phindar as an exception because of Sobeck and the relative closeness to Lola Sayu, where he worked.

25. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    farming Saleucami grievous tried to escape...what?