main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think this gives more fuel to the Joe Johnston fire.

Beaker416 likes this.
  2. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if this means that Kasdan and Kinberg will be co-writing or if they will each be assigned to a separate episode?

3. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    And all of those Kevin Kline rumors. ;)

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't think so. Joe Johnston doesn't fit "the next generation of filmakers" role.

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Kasdan would be an excellent choice, I've been campaigning for him to write them since Ep7-9 were announced.

6. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Campaigning?!

yodasbum likes this.
  7. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that was just a throw-away comment from Lucas.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I disagree. I could obviously be wrong, but Lucas has always had a very "meta" way of conceiving or writing his SW characters, in the sense that they relate to him. What we know about the ST is that it's about Luke passing the toch to the next generation of Jedi. And in this case, those are the same words he's used to describe his role in these movies, thus suggesting that that meta element is still there (*). So I don't think it's a throwaway comment, I really think he's looking for something there. Again, I could, obviously, be totally wrong.

(*) If I'm right, then this is probably the first time that someone's relative absence from the production of a work of art is part of the actual artistic statement in said work of art. [face_thinking]:D

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe they can get the Wheat Bros. to direct!

[​IMG]

This is pure unsubstantiated rumor. Between now & 2015 anything pertaining to this movie will surface in a Google search & get read, so there's going to be copious amounts of bull...

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The Hollywood Reporter isn't a junk journal. This along with Variety are the two major papers in Hollywood that exist purely for announcing business deals in the industry.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, uh, Hollywood Journal says "confirmed" then it's confirmed. They aren't exactly a blog.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The next gen quote was to the future of Star Wars, not to the ST. KK stated that someone she worked with with an affinity for Star Wars is who she is looking at for director of VII. TFN has this on the main page.

14. Lando8813

Lando8813 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Why are they having different writers for each one? I don't like this. I wanted a singular vision to be brought on board for all 3. I hope it doesn't effect the quality of writing in a negative way.Maybe 7,8, and 9 will be three separate stories loosely connected like Indiana Jones as opposed to a standard trilogy.

15. Samurai-Jack

Samurai-Jack Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
  16. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Lucas wrote the screenplay for Hope, and Kasdan and Brackett wrote Empire and Jedi, so it is not unprecedented o have different writers on the same Star Wars trilogy.

17. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Now all we need is a director with the same credibility as Kirschner.....

18. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    There's absolutely nothing 'mutually exclusive' about having different writers and having a 'singular vision' to things narratively.

I had floated Kasdan's name as someone I'd like to see direct one of the films in the Sequel Trilogy, so to hear from sources as credible as Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter that he's been approached and apparently signed on to write one of the episodes in the ST makes me a 'happy panda'.

19. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    What are the chances that Kasdan is co-writing the script for all three movies?

20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Quick, someone find the director of Robocop 3.

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, in reality, Lucas wrote ANH and co-wrote ESB and ROTJ with Kasdan. (Brackett did a rejected first draft of ESB.) The OT was fairly consistent in its writing team.

That said, Lucas wrote the ST outline and Arndt wrote the treatment, so it's not like Arndt and Kasdan will be in separate rooms writing independently--they'll both be working from the same treatment.

22. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    CoraxRD: It does not appear as if there are going to be co-writers on any of the films in the ST; if Kasdan - or anyone else - were co-writing E7, they would've been announced alongside Arndt. Kasdan and Kinberg could work as co-writers on E8 and E9, although the THR article seems to indicate that they'll each work on one of the two films by themselves, but that which film each man will tackle individually has yet to be determined.

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I thought it was pretty clear in the videos from Lucas and Disney that Lucas wrote the treatment for all 3 and turned them over to Disney.

As Pablo Hidalgo blogged:

24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's been reported that Arndt wrote a 60 page treatment for EpVII-IX, which suggests Arndt's treatment fleshes-out the one initially developed by Lucas.

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It's been reported, but all official sources say George wrote the treatments and Arndt is writting the screenplay based on Lucas' treatment.

Makes no sense for Lucas to write a treatment, Arndt then write his own treatment, and then Arndt writes the screenplay.