main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The sperm and egg that eventually made me would have found his post clever.

2. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    yes, i can control them. they usually do what i need them to.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the single celled life that eventually became the ancestors of the mitochondria in my cells would have guffawed heartily at that post if they had a central nervous system and some sort of apparatus for modulating and producing sound

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You realise that both of those examples you keep bringing up were extremely sophisticated plots carried out over a period of months? There are also a lot of restrictions on the sales of explosives and fertilisers now in order to present such plans being picked up and stopped before they occur. If someone wants to commit a mass shooting they can purchase a gun, drive to a public area and start shooting. That's a couple of days tops. Implying that very large bombs and automatic weapons are somehow equal in that respect is silly.

Even more ludicrous is the 'people will still kill each other so why bother trying to prevent some of them doing so.'

V-2, darthhelinith and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The stars that exploded with the matter that would eventually become life would have solar flared in a pattern whose frequency mimics human laughter had they come to the knowledge of that post's contents.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That's why I'm not opposed to an assault weapons ban, a waiting period, background check and even a form of licensing.

Juliet316 and GenAntilles like this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Sure, bombs have the potential to kill more people at once, but that's kind of a stupid analogy as very few folks take the time to make a bomb. Reference how many mass killings (not terrorism massacres) were done with bombs vs how many with guns.

Guns allow the shooter to distance himself and maximize the casualties compared to knives, bats, etc.

I don't advocate banning guns in total: the Supreme Court has spoken and it is not possible to ban guns. I do advocate more controls, more training, more enforcement of existing laws and anything possible to reach and treat mental illness...

darthhelinith and Juliet316 like this.
  8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
  9. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    You do realize what gun violence is like in Japan and the U.K. and other nations that have all but banned guns, right? This logic is horrible. And it is wrong.

Please, someone explain to me how the inconvenience of tighter restrictions and background checks outweighs the lives of the thousands and thousands of people who die unnecessarily from gun violence every year. 20 of whom are now kindergartners that joined such a sad and pathetic statistic today.

And I find few things more frustrating than gun supporters cry that now is "not the time" to have this conversation and we must only mourn. When is the time? Because they happen so frequently that it's irresponsible to prevent this discussion by hiding behind the sadly perpetually reoccurring shield of being too close a tragedy.

Sauntaero, V-2, darthhelinith and 2 others like this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I'd add limitations on ammo ownership (you don't need 6,000 rounds), restrictions on body armor (you don't need a full suit), limitations on extended clips and an outright ban on hundred round drums.

darthhelinith and Juliet316 like this.
  11. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Trouble is they did it a long time ago before all the games and wide availability. The market is too rich to try and get rid of them all you, have to ban them the whole world over which won't happen. Sure, regulate. But again law abiding obeys, criminals do not.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We realize the criminals are not some separate species of human beings? That they are people, who, like everyone else, choose at every particular moment to do the right or wrong thing? And that those choices are influenced by the risks, benefits, and effort required to do any given thing? So that some of the people that now decide to use guns would probably not do so if it become a bigger hassle?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Would you support tougher restrictions - waiting periods, rigorous background checks, the closing of the gun show loophole?

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I mean, many women have to undergo a psychological evaluation in order to get a boob job. I think it would be helpful to require people to undergo an evaluation in order to receive a permit to carry a firearm.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Really? A psych eval for a boob job?

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    For those who don't want to pay out of pocket, it has to be justifiable to insurance as something more than a cosmetic vanity project. Asserting that it would help redress some psychological derangement (eg depression related to body image) is one way to do that.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    While that might be a good idea, I don't know how you'd make that one stick, unfortunately, although I can see the arguments for it.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    it was a dumb post

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  21. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that would generate some amazing data. putting psychiatrists in rooms with the kind of people who apply for CCW =P~

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Eh. Let it be. I'm more concerned about losing my life on the highways than losing my life from a gunshot. I'm not going to spoil anyone else's fun.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    what fun? spree killing fun?

25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Contrary to your beliefs, the vast majority of gun owners don't actually kill anybody, nor do they care to.

The problem with gun control is that the far left careens over the threshold of common sense for what is necessary and proper, even going so far in some cases as to not even know what the hell they are banning to begin with.