main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    well im just not sure whose fun you were referring to? you really think i believe the majority of gun owners kill people? that would be difficult to imagine, just, like in terms of the statistics involved

2. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Given what you've stated both here and in the Connecticut thread, yes I honestly do get that feeling that's what you believe.

Sport shooters, hunters, collectors, gunsmiths, etc.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    well i just stated it is difficult for me to even imagine from a statistical point of view so i guess you should apologize to me?

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't know too many people that want to stop sports shooting and hunting (though I don't care for either activity). But I equally don't know too many people that need an M4 with M40 grenade attachment for either of those activities.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This 100%. Why on Earth do civilians need guns that shoot out multiple bullets at once? Is there a common everyday use for those? Hunting rifles, pistols etc are fine but guns that shoot 50 rounds in a second or whatever it is aren't.

6. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    It's M203. The grenade launcher. Not M40.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Why do militaries need them? How about we look at disarming humanity as a whole?
    But leaving weapons in the hands of states over a disarmed populace...no thanks.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not going to go there with the military, however I can say with confidence there's no way in hell that civillians need AK - 47s or armor piercing ammo.

10. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    No doubt. Kevin McAllister proved you don't need stuff like that for home defense.

11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    To all the right-wing gun nuts out there: Don't worry, Obama doesn't have the guts to take on the gun lobby. Or any lobby, for that matter.

12. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I think most criminals would prefer you just shoot them then make them run through the gauntlet he made though.

Civilians should not be able to field the same level of firepower the military or police can. Will gangs and criminals still get their AKs and armor piercing ammo? Yeah, but they tend to be less into the whole mass shooting thing. We can at least expect them to be sensible.

13. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    What? Since when? I assume you're contrasting "gangs and criminals" with the mentally ill . . . mentally ill people actually commit a below-average level of violence against others. Gangs and criminals are the people who commit most of the violent crimes out there.

ForgottennJedi1986 and tom like this.
  14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I've yet to see an organized gang shoot up an elementary school or a career criminal shoot up a crowded theater. I'm talking about senseless mass violence for the sake of madness.

15. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I don't want to look up case studies, so let's say that's accurate. Gang members and career criminals are still the people who commit the vast majority of murders. What makes them any better?

16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    There only better in the sense we can expect them to do things that benefit them. When you go to a bank you know in the back of your head you might get killed in a robbery. When you walk down the street late at night you know in the back of your head you might get killed in a mugging. But you also know if you cooperate and give up your possessions and money you might be able to walk away with your life.

You go to school or the movies and a madman with an AK is there... there is no reasoning, no logic, nothing you can offer him. There is no rational reason for what he's doing, he's not after money, he's just after chaos and destruction.

So would I rather run into a gangster with an AK? Yeah, I might be able to pay him off and walk out alive. But if I run into a lunatic... my only real chance of survival is that he targets someone else instead of me or enough of us rush him and get to him before he kills us all first.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, we need better gun control. Though not a total ban on all guns.

And sadly, I don't think gun control laws would have helped too much in this case, since the guns were legally purchased by the shooter's mother.

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I guess unless we can get OO7 Skyfall style handprint user ID for every gun or Metal Gear Solid nanomachine guns this will be an issue. Unless we make laws state that family members also have to pass a psych exam and background check for another family member to own a gun, but I don't see that working well in practice. I honestly don't see that issue being solved without a serious tech innovation.

19. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Though with the First Lady's war on junk food...you could say he's theoretically against the "Movie Theater Lobby"....

*crickets*

Umm.... try the veal...?

GenAntilles likes this.
  20. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Semi-automatics are the only Assault rifles that civilians can buy. Full autos are not for sell and can only be used by police and military. Semi-automatics are nothing like full autos. And if people are using AK-47s with armor piercing ammo they got it illegal and no laws will stop them.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They're not legal for sale but people do it anyway, or find ways to easily convert them. That just shows that gun control laws need to be accompanied by robust enforcement.

The notion that everybody is entitled to death dealing machines is absurd. I understand some people enjoy the things, but it's taken on the level of a mania in this country.

Misa ab iPhono meo.

22. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Oh, spare me. To suggest that this would be a problem is outrageous. To quote the Economist: "There is also the small matter that I don’t think America is remotely close to becoming a tyranny, and to suggest that it is is both irrational and a bit offensive to people who actually do live under tyrannical rule."

V-2, tom, Juliet316 and 1 other person like this.
  23. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Would better regulations have prevented this? Most likely not, although an argument could be made over a mother not being able to posses 6 guns when her son is troubled...but that would need to be debated after more of the details come out.

One could argue, and I do, that there is absolutely no reason to have a .223 semi-automatic rifle, or any high powered weapon that lets you shoot multiple rounds in a short amount of time that and let him slaughter 20 first graders yesterday.

The fact that the supporters of the 2nd Amendment won't even let us discuss this topic by shielding themselves under the "it's too soon, we're still praying" blanket is offensive to the families that continue to join the ranks of those that lost someone to a mass shooting.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Never mind that the United States has the most powerful military on the planet. I'm pretty sure they can easily crush a bunch of rednecks.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    And even if Obama took to the stage tomorrow and personally executed Boehner and every republican in Congress before ordering every conservative or republicans arrest and reeducation, and declared martial law, turned off the internet, ordered the forced redistribution of wealth... I would still be loyal. Treason is treason, even if it is to a tyrant.

It is not the place of the people to challenge their government unless their government allows it. That's why the idea that citizens having guns for the purpose of 'armed revolt' is ludicrous. No citizen should ever feel like he or she has the power or resources to take on the government.