main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Word Race! Post your final count by January 2nd. Survey Now Up.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    December is long, cold and dark (at least in the northern hemisphere). Very, very dark. So, what’s better than spending those long, cold nights writing and participating in some healthy completion!?​
    Welcome to the first The Force.Net WORD RACE!
    Let’s face it, National Writing Month is fun, but writing 50,000 words in November just isn’t plausible for some people (students, people with dead muses, people that go on stupid vacations) and can be intimidating for those that know they can’t make it even close. So this a similar idea (to turn off that inner editor and jut write!), with much less pressure and hopefully during a better time. The purpose of this is just to get people writing fanfic (and also to give a chance for people daunted by or unable to participate in Nano to see how fast they can write).​
    The rules are pretty simple:​
    1. Sign up here!​
    2. Beginning December 1st keep track of all the words you write for fanfics (FANFICTION ONLY! This is to encourage people to work on fanfics, plus we all want to eventually read the results). It can be fics that you have already started, a new fic, heck; if you are the kind of writer that likes to write out very detailed plot outlines, included that too!​
    3. Post your word count every few days. I will keep a master tally.​
    4. Keep writing until the clock strikes midnight on December 31st. Post a final count sometime on January 1st or 2nd.​
    5, Encourage your fellow racers! No pimping, but light discussion about plot lines is allowed is allowed. We all love feedback!​
    6. There will be PRIZES! 5000 words will get you 1 day of colours (THATS ONLY 162 WORDS PER DAY!), 10,000 will get you 2 days of colours, and 25,000 words will get you 1 week. The person who writes the most will receive a stickied thread where the can advertise a couple of their fics for 1 week.​
    Anyone is eligible to participate, but this is directed more towards writers that may normally write a bit slower, or haven't been able to write much lately. Basically, this is all about encouragement to write more. If you are someone who doesn't think anything of writing 30, 40 or 50,000 + words in a month, or if that will be no new or huge accomplishment for you, you can still participate, but please think about excusing yourself from winning the grand prize so that it can go to someone who really pushed themselves to get it.​
    Muse dead? Don’t worry! I’ve got some ideas!​
    1. Did you accomplish all you Fanfic Resolutions? If not, take a month to see if you can get them done!​
    2. A new year is right around the corner! While you can’t start writing yet, why not try to write a extremely detailed plot outline for next year’s Dear Diary Challenge.​
    3. The holiday season IS just about here. The Fanfic Gift Exchange is a GREAT way to jumpstart a muse. Discussion/index threads often do holiday challenges as well.​
    4. Why not have a drabble writing marathon? Check out some of the past Ultimate Drabble Challenge threads for hundreds of prompts. You never know where they may take you.​
    If you are interested, grab a blanket, a cup of hot cocoa and let’s start our engines!​
    Participant List:​
    Briannakin -- 12258
    Chyntuck -- 25798
    Nyota's Heart - 9106
    taramidala -- 10034
    mavjade -- 781
    NYCitygurl -- 301
    Raissa Baiard -- 6111
    ThreadSketch -- 7181
    Viridian-Maiden
    JadeLotus -- 25969
    Jedi_Lover - 2840
    Hazel -- 2957
    ginchy -- 3109
    Findswoman -- 3356
    Cael-Fenton -- 1607
    jcgoble3 -- 2507
    earlybird-obi-wan - 5222

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  2. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Obligatory first post with discussion topic. Will you be participating? If so, why? What are you planning on working on?

I will be participating but I'm taking myself (for obvious reasons) out of the running for the most words prize. I've always wanted to do Nano, but because I'm a student and because I have fine motor skill and exhaustion issues, it will probably never be possible for me to write 1667 words every day for all of Novemeber. Plus I pretty much have nothing to do in December, so why not? I plan to hopefully work on a fic I have ongoing. I wrote a vignette for the LM episode 7 challenge and I've been slowly working on expanding it. I'm hoping to get a chunk done in December, if not get it done. Although, I had so much fun doing the 8th Ultimate Drabble Challenge last year, I might go back and do some of the older UDCs if my muse stalls.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Count me in! I'm done writing part I of my on-going fic and all I have to look forward to is editing stuff I already wrote. I'll spend most of December away from home and I need a motivation to keep up with writing on a regular basis, so this is exactly what I need :)

A question:
    This means that we count only what is part of a narrative, right? We don't include background notes on characters, cultures, species etc, do we? (I'm not implying we should include it, this is just for the sake of clarity.)

Findswoman and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I think NaNo has burnt me out...But it is a good idea, though. I'm taking a break next month to recover from my ordeal...

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yay Chyntuck is onboard.

Count me in too. I'll be working on two NSWFF projects, unless they have to be SW in content?

ginchy, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Eh. The "prizes" ain't worth it.

And what's with this crippling fear of pimping that has gripped the boards since as long as I can remember?

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think since I'm allowing plot outlines to be counted, I'm okay with counting background notes, etc.

NSWFF is fine.

Pimping has always been part of the rules here. Some threads allow you to post links to fics and talk about them openly (IE the UDC and the DDC), others allow you to talk about fics but not post links and some don't allow you to even talk about them. It's just nice to clearly state where a thread lies on this.

8. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    While I won't be able to work full time until about December 18 or so, I'll throw my hat in. I've got a couple of long-suffering longfics that I need to work on, so I'll track what I can get accomplished this month. :)

ginchy and Chyntuck like this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey, I resemble that remark. :p

Count me in, but of course not for any prizes. My muse has been very fickle, but maybe what I need is a bit of competition, but not one with overwhelming numbers. Heck, if I write more than a few thousand words, I'll be doing better than I have in a while. I don't know what I'll work on, I have a few things started that have gotten stalled that might be a good place to start.

Just to add to what Bri was saying... it used to be a very big problem until things got cracked down on (it was a rule when I started as well) but even so, I edit out a fair amount of pimping even still (though it's better in the last year or so than it had been. :) )

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The very lovely Nyota's Heart directed me here, and I'm very glad!

And I resemble THIS remark! :p

One of my fanfic goals was to write 120,000 words. That didn't come anywhere ear happening. I don't think I've written 10,000 for the whole year, and it's been months since I've written anything at all. I desperately want to get back into writing, and I'm hoping this challenge will motivate me! (Obviously I'm out as far as prizes go, but I like a litle healthy competition :p )

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I will sign up, though I'm taking my stupid vacation the first week of December. :)

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  12. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Ehhhhh...yeah, sure, I guess, why not. :p My current WIP is a longfic and it's barely getting through the first major chunk with like 3/4 of the entire story still floating out in the ether, so it'll go way past December, lol. Including notes, it's already 26,411 words long, but I really doubt I'd win. It's a fun motivator, though. So...

"General...count me in." ;)

13. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    I'm definitely in. Considering that I tried Nano and failed miserably...this will be a good chance for me to redo. [face_good_luck]

14. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'll give this a go, I've gotten a large chunk of my fic written during Nano and I really want to finish it.

ginchy, Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004

This guy ruined it for everybody. lol! He was a little too...aggressive. He would kriff-slap you for not reading my stuff!
    [​IMG]

I guess I will keep count for December. I have some stories to finish. Can I count words for fanfiction I am not posting at this time? Or fanfiction I am not posting here...for reasons I can't disclose. ;)

16. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I guess I will join too. My muse has been comatose all year. At best, it gives me a general outline, but when I try to develop it, I draw a complete blank. It's frustrating.
    Maybe this challenge will spark it up some.

Now... what to work on [face_thinking] ...?

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Can't just like that, have to buya it. :D :D

Hazel and Chyntuck like this.
  18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Errr... Artoo's PT diary? ;)

jcgoble3 and Hazel like this.
  19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    That is a definite possibility.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_rofl] =D= He certainly could say a lot about the HoT era too. [face_batting]

Hazel likes this.
  21. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    And that is another possibility.
    And so is continuing episode 7 or developing the crazy crazy bunny I got after reading the crazy bunny thread a while back.

You see, THIS is the problem - I keep getting stuck.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry guys, I've been really sick the past few days and I've been trying to push through my last couple of assignments and studying. The participant list has been updated, but let me know if I missed anyone. It's great to see so many participating!!

Yes, you can count stuff you haven't started posting. As for stuff you can't post here, you can count some of it, if you are only writing a couple of chapters, but if you are counting like 50,000 words you cant post here, that kinda defeats the purpose. We all want to read (the majority) of the words, eventually.

23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This might just be the thing I need to motivate me on my current large fanfic project... I only worry about having enough time in December what with the assorted RL stuff that will be bombarding me then. If I join, it will be with no real expectation of winning anything, per what mavjade said. :p Let me think on it.

As for pimping, it seems sensible to have rules cracking down on it; I can see where it could get to be a real nuisance in the hands of a certain species of poster. (Just speaking theoretically here, with no intended reference to anyone in particular.) Goodwood, merely out of curiosity, are there particular arguments you would like to put forth in favor of that kind of story promotion?

ginchy and Chyntuck like this.
  24. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Can we nominate people for this challenge? If so, I nominate ginchy. She has work to do. :D [:D]

ginchy likes this.
  25. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I would like to second that nomination! :D

ginchy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.