main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by jeykey, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

A choral piece like Duel of the Fates is definitely possible; maybe for Han Solo's death? :( Though supposedly, according to someone involved in the Orchestra that is recording the TFA Soundtrack, there is an operatic theme for solo voice(excuse the pun;)) and orchestra in TFA.

DARTH_BELO and Howard Hand like this.
  2. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    If what you read turns out to be true, that could be very interesting indeed. Neither trilogy has started on a truly dark tone... intriguing

3. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I wonder if the sequel trilogy is going to use any iconic pieces from the prequels like maybe a short Duel of The Fates cue or maybe a slight hint of Battle of the Heroes. Though if you watched the movies in order from I to IX, it'd be a bit weird having those songs suddenly absent in the original trilogy.

Also, I hope John Williams will still be alive to do Episodes VIII and IX. They should hurry up so he can do the music for them too! If he dies, they must not make another trilogy. It won't be the same without Williams music.

4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    From the Making Star Wars article? I don't think it specified whether or not it was a solo voice (though that's what I assumed to so that has to count for something).

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  5. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

But that was months ago, before the trailers. Now, after seeing trailer 2 I think the tone will be similar to ANH and TESB.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If this is true, then I am looking forward to that. It would be nice to have new, memorable themes but with a different flavor (read: instrumental composition). The OT used more string melodies, flutes, oboes, etc. The PT used more percussion, and choral arrangements. Now if the ST uses more along the lines of soloists, single droning voices and maybe different kinds of instruments like harps/pipes, heavier use of french horn than before, etc. that would be a nice way to give the ST its own feel, at least in setting the tone thru music.

P.S. We should try to avoid posting potential spoilers on this thread as well, like people who may die and whatnot. Not sure if that's speculation, but if not-info like that belongs in the SA forum only...

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  7. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Ooops! Sorry, I wasn't thinking about Spoilers.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    I'd definitely prefer they give TFA its own flavor. Nods to the other two trilogies here and there are fine.

And I flat out will not even look at the track listing this time around. [face_frustrated] Lesson learned. Order, squint at the screen just enough to make out the 'play' button, and then tab out.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_laugh] I picture that in my head...funny image.

I just don't look at the tracklisting-and don't buy the soundtrack. The most I'll do is listen to clips on some website that offers samples (like Amazon). Keeping the soundtrack as a surprise is important for me as well. Especially now with all these sequels coming out of previous classics (Star Trek, Jurassic World, Star Wars, etc.) I pay more attention to the score than I used to. I'm actually almost as excited for the score of TFA as I am for the movie itself!

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    *Buys the album before seeing film*

Track Nine title: Luke Skywalker Murders R2D2 In Cold Blood

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

11. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Han Solo's Noble End.

Yeah, I don't think they want to go there again. ;)

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Just with regards to the release itself and how much will be on it - standards of soundtrack releases are much better now than they were at the time of the PT. Near-complete scores are pretty much the industry standard these days. Marvel's releases are the best indicator we can look at given the Disney ownership, and their releases are always very generous and virtually complete. I'm confident that we'll get a good, long tracklisting.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I would say it's pretty much guaranteed that we will get a normal John Williams OST release for TFA this December. Meaning it will be one disc, mostly full, with several concert arrangements of a new theme from the film and thus only about 60-65 minutes of score from the film. It will have cues from completely different sections of the film joined together in tracks and it's likely we won't even get the main theme segueing into the actual opening music from the film itself.

That said, I'm also sure he will use existing musical themes like the Star Wars theme (Luke's theme), the Force theme, the Imperial March (if there are any remnants of the Empire). We might also see Leia's theme, Han and Leia's theme, Luke and Leia's theme, etc. Who knows what pieces he will use. We'll also have a bunch of new themes. I look forward to it.

Howard Hand likes this.
  14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah, the truncated albums are 100% Williams.

On a slightly related note, (to the score itself at least) I really hope that the John Williams will take a more thematic and emotional approach to action music than his last sequel score, Indiana Jones 4. The action music in that one was far too jumbled and flighty. The more recent War Horse had some fantastic action tracks that fit the "thematic and emotional" bill so that gives me some hope.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I loved the Indy 4 score, but I could see that concern. War Horse is wonderful, but I've never taken the time to really explore it. I need to do that.

Jedi Knight Fett and Howard Hand like this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I only have three requests as far as the OST goes:

- Start it with this:

- End with this:

- If Plagueis is involved, this should be his theme:

17. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Been worried for a while that there will be something that spoils in the track listings, ala "Qui-Gon's Noble End." I'm really hoping that there won't be anything like that, and given how JJ seems to be trying to keep things shrouded in secrecy, I think that we don't have anything to fear in that regard. I'll miss the Fox Fanfare, but am hoping that Disney is smart enough to have Williams write some kind of fanfare for Lucasfilm, in the same manner that they had Brian Tyler write a fanfare for the Marvel films.

18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It's possible they could just use what they did for the digital rereleases in place of the 20th Century Fox logo

19. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    Man, I'm really bummed that I have to wait til the day the movie comes out to hear the music!

Revyl Ren likes this.
  20. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I'm looking forward to hearing the score. I just hope the official release isn't as butchered like Episodes II and III. I also think It's a good thing that they're waiting until the movies comes out. I remember listening to both AOTC and ROTS soundtracks before seeing the movies. I was disappointed when I heard the score all edited and butchered.

darskpine10 likes this.
  21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Remember, the original soundtrack presentation with cues put together from totally different parts of the film is a John Williams decision. His initial releases almost always have this sort of preference for a musical experience instead of presenting the music in film order. It's only later releases, like the Special Edition soundtracks of the OT and the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition that we get music in more of a film order.

The butchering and over-editing of the scores inside the films was a separate problem for the PT films and that is solely on George Lucas' head.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I thought the scores were great inside the films themselves. In fact, I prefer them to the album versions.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    In general yes. However, some moments in the film have jarring edits due to changing the film after the score was recorded. Other moments have music from previous films tracked into AOTC and ROTS instead of using something new for that film. Those moments bother me a lot.

24. ManlyEwok

ManlyEwok Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I agree. I mostly dislike the parts of the soundtrack that are tracked. I think it deters from the experience of the musical presentation. They did do a little of it for the original trilogy, but it's not as prolific as it is in the prequels.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    From memory, the worst one for me is Anakin's march on the Jedi Temple in ROTS. Why that was not some new uber sinister arrangement of the Imperial March is beyond me. Could have been epic.

Jedi Knight Fett and cwustudent like this.