main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 2016 Fanfic Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Dec 28, 2015.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

I will read, comment and make guesses. What did you think, that people won't care? :p

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Thanks--I appreciate the thought. And though it's hard to tell when I haven't writ a single word of it down, it might have turned out to be a decent story. But the reason I mustn't write a diary--and why I started on my resolution to shame myself out of it right here in public--is an entirely personal one: because I have a firm rule about not writing multi-part stories. I learned the hard way, during the years that I had several multi-post WIPs dragging along at the same time, that while I can have fun with fanfiction if I write 2000ish word things on the occasional whim, a long story just becomes a burden I feel guilty over.

This is beginning to feel like it should go in a Fanfiction Therapy thread, so I'll stop there.

Ewok Poet, Kahara, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Pandora, I have a similar rule for myself: never to be working on and posting more than one multi-chapter story at a time, because it would just bog me down in precisely the manner you mention, and and RL keeps me busy enough anyway. So although a diary by you would certainly be a wonderful treat, I completely understand and support your decision. :)

4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I didn't have any 2015 resolutions.

My 2016 resolutions:
    1. Complete DDC 2016
    2. Complete 50 Titles Challenge
    3. Post at least four updates to my crossover story
    4. Post at least four updates to my AU story

Kahara, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  5. CheckSix

CheckSix Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    Well, I'm new to these forums and this circle of fanfic writers, so I will keep my resolutions quite modest.

1. Write at least the first half of one SW:TCW tale (my stories tend to be very, very long).
    2. Participate in at least one writing challenge.
    3. Try not to get so distracted reading other peoples' stories that I never finish my own! (my biggest weakness :oops:)

mavjade , Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and 3 others like this.
  6. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    I've been engaged in some pretty hardcore adulting for quite some time and need to do something about that.
    For 2016 I resolve to write some fanfic and climb back on the ol'OC Deathcoaster that I built in 2005.

Pandora, Ewok Poet, Chyntuck and 4 others like this.
  7. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I want to complete the 2016 DCC and do some writing challenges.

Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I didn't make any 2015 resolutions. I'm hesitant to make any for 2016...but I'm going to anyway. :) Nothing major, but things that will be challenging for me.

2016 Resolutions
    1. Complete both of my current WIP stories.
    2. Participate in at least one writing challenge.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Once again, I didn't complete a single resolution :( So let's try again!

1. Write 120,000 words.

2. Finish all the challenges I take on (and the ones I picked up in previous years and then neglected)

3. Finish and post a NSWFF story.

4. Write more Star Wars.

5. Read more! Average at least one story per day.

10. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I didn't make any for 2014... ;) Also, I resolve to actually do some writing of fic.

Well... I DID do some writing of fic. (This was mostly drabbles... there was family stuff going on.)

For 2016... I resolve to write some more, lose weight (no one can tell me it's not fic-related... sometimes the best ideas happen at the gym!), and to continue on with the college courses thing. Next up... possibly Political Science. During an election year. Eeep.

Kahara, Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    -Finish a multiple chapter story for once.

12. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    Since I found in 2015 minimalism, my goal for 2016 is to write. What write about? Don't know, maybe little bit of this and little bit of that, but overall is simply write.

In case is fanfiction, i promise I will place the story on these forums.

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. CheckSix

CheckSix Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    I want to add another resolution, and that is to add at least one new word to my writing vocabulary per day (yes, I keep a list of new words in a file at home).

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I do the same, but since I'm a non-native speaker, I prefer for them to come to me naturally. As in, when I see a word I don't know or when somebody I know uses it in a conversation, I ask them about it.

Findswoman likes this.
  15. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    1. Continue to write TFA and Kyp Durron drabbles
    2. Write one coherent four chapter story

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Had there been a resolution to post to this thread, we would've all failed at it. :D

Not much progress has been made on these two, but it will be, once I get 3 out of the way.

90% done.

The bloody thing turned out twice as long as I planned and I'm almost done writing it. O_O

Had to drop out because I felt like I was abusing the rules of the challenge, but the stories I thought of for this are still going strong, and I participate in the thread anyway, so that's a yes, from a certain point of a view.

Done with both French literature challenges, though this happened in June.

Did not complete the Fanon Challenge response yet.

Did not complete the Movie Quote Challenge, which I bowed out of and then changed my mind.

I thiiink there are about thirty things left. People are going to hate me when I bring up something from 2014. O_O

Well...OUCH. This still needs to happen.

Done and done. :)

Kahara, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We all failed bigtime in 2016, I think...since we're not even keeping with this thread. Anyway, 3rd quarter review - no change. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  18. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I've thought about maybe trying to do outline re-writes of some of the movies. I guess that'll be more of a 2017 goal at this point, tho.

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well, now, let's see here...

OK, I haven't made it to the end of part three—I'm really only still at the beginning of part three—but I would still say I've made fairly respectable progress on the story as a whole. The last few months were pretty productive as far as writing, and so far I have (a) I have one more chapter in readiness, which I plan to post a little later this month, and (b) the one after that in progress.

Even here I've made at least a bit of progress: my last two updates were a month apart, and, as mentioned above, that's a schedule I should be able to maintain with the next few.

Well, not all of them happened "by June or so," but I have indeed managed to complete stories for the First Sentence challenge, both of the Fanon Thread challenges that there have been so far, and the second-to-most-recent OC challenge. Plus, I have something in the works for the Poetry challenge that should be ready fairly soon (barring all catastrophe).

Since then, other challenges have come up: the current OC challenge, the OTP challenge, and the Chart Hits challenge. We'll see how I do with those; I have sort of inklings for at least the last two.

I'm doing all right with administering challenges so far (there have been two), but this is reminding me that I should probably begin brainstorming a discussion topic or two. I welcome suggestions, of course! :)

This is the one that I haven't made any progress on yet, I'm afraid. [face_blush] Ewok Poet, shall we talk about this further soon? :D

I'd say I'm doing more or less all right on this one, though I know I can always improve.

So maybe, just maybe, I can manage at least most of these this year—keeping appendages crossed! :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    No change here. :(

21. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I am so far from completing my goal and the year is mostly over.

22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I ****ed up on my resolutions.

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Apparently, yes. Because I completely forgot to set resolutions for 2016 at all. :oops:

24. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I'm not doing so hot with mine. [face_blush]