main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Lightsaber Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthCeltic, Apr 5, 2016.

?

Favorite Lightsaber?

1. Anakin's Blue

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Luke's Green

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Kylo's Red

17 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Ben's Blue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Leia's Blue

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Rey's Yellow

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  7. Dark Rey's Red

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. DarthCeltic

DarthCeltic Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2010
    Someone did a great job on this... wanted to share!

2. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    ?????????

this is the real question everyone is failing to ask; where did they find that thing? why bring it back? will bringing it back add something crucial to the story or is it just lazy writing? did jj just need rey to have another lightsaber w/o the build time nor training? or maybe there's more to it? what are your theories?

while we're at it, where did kylo ren acquire vader's skull too? all these old artifacts showing up that would otherwise be deemed worthless to most

Erkan12 and Thorin Oakenshield like this.
  3. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Star Wars I-III - The Fall of Anakin Skywalker
    Star Wars IV - VI - The Redemption of Anakin Skywalker
    Star Wars VII to IX - The Legacy of Anakin Skywalker

Anakin's grandchildren fight over Anakin's legacy. Rey has the good Anakin sabre, Kylo Ren will receive the bad one. They fight. Rey wins. Hayden Christensen turns up as a Force Ghost all happy that the Force is back in balance.

4. Geminiwankenobi

Geminiwankenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 10, 2016
    the shooting schedule which was released recently tells us that it belonged to Ben/Ren and it was stolen from him when he was sitting beside a campfire with the knights of Ren..Maz stole it from him

It is back story which will most likely be explained in 8 rather than 7 . Thats why they cut it.

That sabre is tied in with evil, Anakin used it to kill a bunch of children, Luke had it and his hand got cut off with it....Ren does the same with it it seems (kills kids) Rey uses it to slice a man's face open as she taps into the dark side..Luke is looking at it with great apprehension, Its not a good vibe coming from that sabre, ...not at all.

where Ben got it from? who knows..Maybe Luke? But then where did Luke find it?

5. Thorin Oakenshield

Thorin Oakenshield Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 9, 2016
    I am imaging Vader may have kept somekind of shrine to his family. Deep in space somewhere Vader had a secret base. Very small in a pocket of space nobody goes Vader set up this place. He uses this place to honour his family. Bascially lots of mementos of Padme. When Luke was discovered he set it up as a Luke shrine. He found the lightsabre and took it here.

After he died he told Luke about it. Luke came to this spot and found the lightsabre as well as learned about his mother. He then flew to Naboo and visited her grave.

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    These ideas about the 'evil' saber are indeed interesting and would add to the Lando comic in which sith artefacts influenced people doing evil things. ;)

oncafar and Geminiwankenobi like this.
  7. Geminiwankenobi

Geminiwankenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 10, 2016
    This would be interesting indeed.

This film is not clear cut/black and white at all..everything seems to be in a murky grey area lol

8. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    Yeah okay, I'll amend to dark grey Anakin and light grey Anakin :)

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    My first instinct was that either Luke entrusted Maz with the saber or Maz bought it from the Ugnaughts.

10. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    Maz is a FS space pirate, she stole it for sure!

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

So sorry for failing to ask this question. You're right. We're all failures.

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Actually .. don't know and don't care, more or less sums it up for me (ie: probably not irrelevant to the direct story being told)

Lobot_the_Jedi likes this.
  13. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    My guess is that it was recovered from Cloud City forever ago. Maybe Han took his son to visit Lando there as a boy (who's in the Force vision in the hall) and it was given to Ben. Maybe Ben even found it and he and Han take it to Luke who feels that Ben should keep it and his training begins.

Something probably happened with Ben using it that was bad and he feels at the moment that he shouldn't have it any more and leaves it behind when he goes to become Kylo Ren. Or he simply just loses it somehow.

Now he wants it back for many reasons. It really is his because he recognizes it and not just senses its significance. It's clearly superior to his makeshift crap one. He collects grampa's stuff now which he didn't really do before.

Between the time of Ben and Maz Kanata acquiring it...that planet was probably salvaged by pirates and scavengers once word hit around the galaxy. The Force probably compelled Maz to buy/pick that particular lightsaber amongst the pickings when it was made available.

It's basically the training lightsaber for everyone. So Rey will probably use it for a bit before realizing her staff has two built into it that she had the entire time. Haha.

Darth Dementor likes this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I for one think it's funny, this apparent obsession in the GFFA all of a sudden, with all these old artifacts of Jedi and Sith...

15. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    It seems pretty clear to me.
    - That saber was constructed by Anakin after the Geonosis battle (recall he lost his previous one when the emitter was damaged on Geonosis)
    - He used it (heroically) through the Clone Wars and (tragically) to kill Younglings and battle OB1 on Mustafar. He dropped it when he got sliced and diced by OB1.
    - OB1 picked it up and promised it to Anakin's children.
    - OB1 gives it to Luke.
    - Luke uses it through to Bespin where it's lost
    - It's picked up and delivered to Maz who holds on to it. Most likely she's part of the Church of the Foce. It's a relic.
    - Rey hears it call to her and picks it up out of the chest. She takes it (reluctantly) and uses it.
    - She then wants to give it back to Luke. I doubt he'd want it at this point. He's got his. Doesn't need another. Probably give it to Rey for use until she makes her own.

The answer to the question at hand: Where did they find the lightsaber? On Bespin. It was probably on whatever land was there at the bottom of the atmosphere and was found by some scavengers who sold it to Maz on the GFFA version of the black market.

Luke's recent canon novel has him looking into lightsabers and their properties, both physical and metaphysical.

There was a saber purchased by some dark-side acolytes in the Aftermath novel. I don't think that one was the Bespin one. I think it was Vaders from the DS II. We'll find out more in the new Aftermath novel, though.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's probably because both sects were wiped out over the course of 23 years.

17. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    It's also because objects can apparently hold consciousness that can be detected by force sensitive people. Someone quoted someone in the know that confirmed this was the central point of the Force vision Rey had.

18. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    I have no idea where Maz got the saber from, but the mystery behind it would make an interesting anthology film.

Rogue One: The story of who stole the death star plans and how they did it.

Potential Future Anthology Film: The story of how Maz acquired Luke & Anakin's lightsaber. There's a lot of story potential there if you consider the possibility that someone else may have actually found it and brought it to Maz.

All 7 films are riddled with unexplained stuff that will make Mr. Disney an even richer force ghost in the coming years.

19. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I don't think they should reveal it. It would likely seem so implausible that it would take away from the plot.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  20. Warren Moonwalker

Warren Moonwalker Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    this is another thing too, the church of the force. i have a feeling artifacts are going to be really critical this trilogy; from vader's skull to anakin's lightsaber, these thing will/should drive the story. i hope there's more of a backstory than "we found it on bespin" though. it's so shallow of an approach to take. in reality, that thing should have been lost forever. it seems more of an artifact the empire would have recovered though, they took control of cloud city following the battle between vader and luke.

and what about luke's hand attached to the lightsaber?

21. Sithblade11

Sithblade11 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    What could have been!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE, AND TITLE CHANGE.

Warren Moonwalker likes this.
  23. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Well, JJ and Arndt both really wanted this lightsaber to be AGFFA's Excalibur.

Despite whatever taintings and dark history it has, if we follow the homage, this saber is in store for a cleansing ritual of sorts. Good thing Rey and Luke are hanging out at a ritual-y looking place surrounded by lots of cleansing waters.

Eternal_Jedi and Sarge like this.
  24. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, it's true that objects ( and places ), can store some element of the Force within them. Seemingly an object belonging to a Force user has an even greater degree of Force energy within it. This is also likely how Snoke gained such a deep knowledge of Vader's redemption: He 'read' Vader's mask, just as Rey does with the lightsaber. The passage in Aftermath with the Acolytes of Beyond is probably a precursor to this, with the Acolytes searching the GFFA for Vader's possesions in order to read them.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This has always been my favorite lightsaber. So, whatever the story, I'm glad it's back.

This was posted yesterday in the rumors thread. This seemed like a good place for it.

This is MakingStarWars's shooting schedule version of the flashback that they posted in February 2015

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/f...-be-up-to-before-star-wars-the-force-awakens/
    • Interior Day Roses’s Pub – There is a secret underground chamber and Rose begins her tale to Han, Rey, and Finn. They hold hands.
    • Flashback: Interior Night at Academy – Dead bodies are on the ground. Luke turns up.
    • Flashback: Exterior Dusk at the Afkcademy – It is noted it is peaceful now. Artoo-Detoo is saddened as his master departs.
    • Flashback: Exterior Day at the Savannah – A hand that takes the sword at the start of the film is revealed to be Naka’s hand.
    • Flashback: Exterior on the Savannah – A peasant’s hovel where the peasant drops the sword, starts a fire, panics and then returns.
    • Flashback: Exterior Desert – Local trader is seen leaving. (I believe it then cuts to Finn and Rey’s faces as the story unfolds).
    • Flashback: Exterior Day Desert – Local trader makes a sale to a wealthy man.
    • Flashback: Exterior Night Battlefield – Fierce battle! Sword is being use by the CLAN against THE SEVEN.
    • Flashback: Exterior Night: the last man is down and Kylo Renn approaches Rey!
    • Flashback: THE SEVEN are looting and we see Rose in the foreground taking “the object.”
    • Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the underground chamber, Rose presents the saber and Rey is revolted by it while Finn is attracted to it.

This was the shooting schedule according to Millennium Falcon.com that was posted just a few weeks before the film came out. It was an update to MakingStarWars version.

http://millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2015&t=9790

The Flashback sequence (edited out the Maz's castle stuff)

EXT DAY - 192 - SAVANNAH • Reprise Hand takes sword, we reveal Naka

EXT NIGHT - 193 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Peasant is using the sword as a firestarter

EXT DAY - 194 - SAVANNAH - PEASANT'S HOVEL • Local trader buys sword off of Naka

EXT NIGHT - 195 - SAVANNAH • Local trader already has sold the sword on

EXT NIGHT - 196 - BATTLEFIELD • A battle rages. The sword is being used.

EXT DAY - 198 - ACADEMY • Leia and Han Solo hand over Young Kylo Ren to his Uncle for training

EXT DAWN - 200 - ACADEMY • Young Kylo Ren being trained by his Uncle

INT NIGHT - 202 - ACADEMY • Bodies left behind - Young Kylo Ren is gone

EXT DAY - 203 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT DUSK - 204 - ACADEMY • R2-D2 upset as his master leaves

EXT NIGHT - 205 - JAGGED TERRAIN/PALACE • Kylo Ren joins The Knights Of Ren

EXT NIGHT - 209 - CASTLE • Kylo Ren and his Knights at campfire. Maz Kanata steals sword

EXT NIGHT - 211 - MOUNTAIN SIDE • Reveal Maz Kanata on Speeder, she has the sword

oncafar likes this.