main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social "International Interview" Thread--All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Pensivia, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Hello, everyone, and

Welcome/Bienvenida/Wilkommen/Benvenuto/
    Velkommen/Bem-vindos/D
    obrodošli/
    Добродошли/Bienvenue/καλωσόρισμα/Hoşgeldiniz
    !!!

[​IMG]

Since the JCF has users from a number of different countries, I thought it might be nice to have a place where people can meet each other in a friendly atmosphere and have fun learning a little about other cultures, countries, and places (including different regions and states within the U.S.). I checked with Skiara and she thought it was a great idea, too, so we have created this "social" thread. We hope you are wondering about other countries and areas as well and what people might like to share with a foreign visitor about where they come from. We will do this with brief (three-question) "interviews."

(Please note that this thread is not for heated political debate/argument, but for all interested people to chat and get a little "inside information" about other cultures/countries.)

Here's how it will work:

1) As permanent thread host, I will call for volunteers to answer three friendly questions about their country (or, for Americans, their region or state). Questions will not be personal in nature or require volunteers to reveal their exact location or any personal information. A question might be something like "Describe a favorite place you like to visit in your country and explain why it's one of your favorites" or "Who is a notable person from your country (living or dead) that you admire or like in some way, and why?"

2) Once someone has volunteered, I will PM them their three questions to answer. Then, once they have answered, I will post the questions with their replies here in the thread.

3) We will then have a time (at least a week or more, depending) for other people to discuss the interviewee's replies and ask any follow-up questions they might have.

4) Then I'll call for a new volunteer and we'll start the next interview round. I will also ask the previous interviewee if they would like to contribute 1-3 questions for me to use with this next interview. If not, I will come up with the questions.

So...let's get started! Who would like to be the first victim :p ... I mean...volunteer? When you volunteer, please identify your country (or, for Americans, your state or general region, if you prefer).

Read the thread chronologically, or jump to the location of choice:

France
    Luxembourg
    Croatia
    Italy
    Colombia
    Germany
    Greece
    The United Kingdom
    Sweden
    Turkey
    Norway

Iran
    State of Texas
    State of Michigan
    State of Florida
    New Zealand

2. Darth Nihilon

Darth Nihilon Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 5, 2016
    I would like to volunteer! I live in France :)

Frank T., Skiara , Pensivia and 4 others like this.
  3. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Terrific, Darth Nihilon! Merci beaucoup for being the first volunteer! Expect a PM from me with your questions in just a bit.

Vive la France! :D

Darth Nihilon likes this.
  4. Revyl Ren

Revyl Ren Jedi Master star 2

Aug 12, 2015
    I'll volunteer too. Luxembourg here! (Et un bonjour à mon voisin français! )

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Excellent! Another volunteer already:D...thanks Revyl Ren! I just sent Darth Nihilon her questions, but you will be next up after she posts her answers and then we have some time for discussion. So "stay tuned"!

6. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    So yeah, Croatia here! :D

7. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Woot, woot! Cro-AY-tia in the house!:p

[​IMG]

Welcome, Eves!:D

Edit/"Official" [:p ] Announcement: Since this is a brand-new thread idea I'm trying out for the first time, I'm sure there might be improvements I can make in the format/procedures as we go along. So if anyone ever has a thought about how the thread could be improved in terms of how things are set up in the first post, just shoot me a PM about it--I welcome your input and suggestions!

8. panta1978

panta1978 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 20, 2016
    It was a good idea to advertise this thread in the Welcome New Users section, since that's the way I've come across it... However, good night, morning, afternoon, or whatsoever to all the users from all around the world connected to this forum. This is panta1978 from Italy, I would love to take part in this thread and being interviewed! See you around.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

9. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Hello and welcome, panta1978! Glad to have you here and to add you to the "roster" of upcoming "interviewees."

Italy was the first country I visited outside of the U.S. and I was instantly captivated by its beauty, wonderful history and culture, amazing food, and friendly people. I've been to Rome, Florence, Siena, Padua, and Venice. Hoping to get back there again before too long and see even more of the country!

Frank T., panta1978 and Evening Star like this.
  10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Add Germany as well! :D
    I'm really curious and looking forward to the first interview. :D

Thanks, Panda, for the feedback about the advertising thread in WNU. :)

Frank T., Pensivia and Dagobahsystem like this.
  11. panta1978

Mar 20, 2016
    I'm glad you enjoyed your Italian trip. You've definitely been to some of the most amazing places to visit! By the way, I'm a Rome-holic, I've been there 5-6 times and I'm never done with it.

Pensivia likes this.
  12. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks, Skiara! I think the first few rounds will be kind of "experiments." It make take a few tries to see what format and what number and type of questions make for the best thread:D

I can definitely understand that. I think Rome is one of those truly amazing cities like New York, London, Paris, Berlin, etc. that always offer you something new!

13. Darth Nihilon

Jun 5, 2016
    1. What is one of your favourite places to visit in France and why?

I know it is a very common answer and it is very well known, but the Louvre is just so beautiful! In France it is called the Musée du LouvreSo many beautiful pieces of art and history on those walls. Most people who visit are very respectful and quiet, so it is very easy to be influenced and inspired in this place. It is wonderful that the exhibits are so many and so different from each other. Truly it is a place for everyone!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. What is a popular cultural trend in France right now that others outside France might not know about?

I think one thing in fashion that really is very different from other countries like the United Kingdom or America is that there is not, generally, much fashion trends. Of course all fashion evolves like other cultures, but one thing that I have noticed in France is that we wear what we like. If we think something does not look good on us, we do not wear it. We create each individualised style. I think this is very different from the United Kingdom because while I was taking a holiday there, I saw many groups try to fit into styles to fit in, not because they really liked them. This, of course, does not go for everyone, it is simply an observation! I do not think I can say for America. I have friends there, but I have not yet been able to visit.

I think one funny thing is that many people with young children use a term. They call them “Ma petite chouchou”! This is translated into English as “My little cabbage” and I think this is very funny!

3. I see from a recent post you made around the boards that you study history, particularly the history of art and fashion. Tell us a little about a French figure from art history or fashion who you think is interesting, and why.
    I do not think there is a fashion person in history that I have been inspired by. While studying fashion through history, I think I like seeing more how fashion has evolved from times like the Middle Ages to the present, to see what the different world cultures think is comfortable or looks good and how they present themselves.

As for a French figure from fashion, I truly adore the works of Julien Fournié. I discovered him because our last names are very similar, and I have fallen in love with his work. He has such an interesting use of colours in his designs and they are just simply so beautiful. If anyone is interested in fashion, or likes to design clothes, I would say to go see his designs!

TK42I, Gamiel, Ananta Chetan and 6 others like this.
  14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Darth Nihilon, it's pretty fascinating about the fashion thingy. When I think of Frensh people, I "see" them in a different style. Not too different, of course, but somehow clearly frensh-y. I hope you know what I mean. :)
    Nice pics you've choosen!!

@ all, I see that you all love to quote and sometimes it's really necessary, but mostly it's enough to tag the user you want to reply to, because the post in question isn't that long ago and the poster knows the content of his/her earlier post. So to keep up readablility (especially on smaller screen), please, ask yourself, if it's useful or if tagging helps the same way, and if quoting is really needed, then put of the parts that don't need to be quoted (likes pics for example).Thanks. :)
    If you wonder how tagging works: Simply add an @ infront of the username, like Skiara. That creates a notification for the the user like quoting would do.

15. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    (Thanks for the reminder/suggestion about tagging vs. quoting, Skiara. I agree it keeps the pages more readable:)

And thanks for "getting the ball rolling" with your responses, Darth Nihilon! Now we can leave some time for people to see your questions and responses and hopefully get a little conversation going.:D

Yes, the Louvre is really amazing. My husband and I spent a whole day there and of course, we just scratched the surface of all it has to offer. It's amazing to see those "mega-museums" (like the Vatican collections in Rome, the National Gallery in London, etc.). I have a particular interest in European art and cultural history, so I'm the type of person that can easily spend hours and hours in such places without getting "burned out." :p

From my limited observations, I also agree with you about the French having a distinctive, quite individualistic, sense of personal fashion. I used to have a French work colleague some years ago and she was always quite confident to "go her own way" in terms of what she would wear to work. I always thought she looked great, too. I admire that in a way, because I don't have a very good "fashion" sense for myself and tend to wear fairly "nondescript" things because I personally don't feel comfortable taking more "risks," and I'm not very confident in my sense of what might look good. But I think it's cool when other people like to express themselves in that way. And I definitely think that Americans think of the French in general as being more "fashion-conscious."

I also definitely think of Italians as being very fashion-conscious (both men and women). Maybe panta1978 can say if he thinks that's true (in general) as well? Of course, I'm sure it all depends on what age group we're talking about, and whether we're talking about people who live in bigger cities versus smaller towns or in the countryside, etc. I'd say American young people who live in cities like New York or L.A. are very fashion-conscious compared to "small town America," etc.

When you get a chance, can you post a pic or two of some designs by Fournié that you really like? I don't follow fashion much, and I'm not familiar with that name, but I'd be interested to see an example or two!

"Ma petite chouchou”--that is funny (and very cute:D). I always think such idiomatic expressions in different languages are interesting. I have German relatives, and I have noticed that when their daughter was little, they called her "my little mouse" ("meine kleine Maus"). In American English, one might hear a parent say "my little pumpkin," though I wouldn't say it's extremely common. There might be another expression more common that I'm not thinking of (I'm not a parent myself).

16. panta1978

Mar 20, 2016
    Pensivia. Speaking of Italians and fashions... as you said it's hard to generalise. There are people who are definitely into the fashion thing and know everything about the latest trends, and others like me who just don't give a hoot :D Ask me what colour should a shirt be this summer or how long are trousers supposed to be if one wants to be cool. I simply don't know and couldn't care less... After all, dresses who served me well 5 years ago are still a good option

But one thing I've noticed and I don't like is the fact that the majority of us Italian tend to consider foreign people less stylish than us - if not stylish at all. It is as if our way were the only possible one for them, and I find it quite narrow-minded. Every time the "average Italian guy" goes abroad he can't help but think how weird people around him look like. And he's particularly ferocious against those who shows off their Sunday best.

Darth Nerdling and Pensivia like this.
  17. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Interesting, panta1978. And yes, it is certainly impossible to accurately generalize, but I do admit that I cringe a little bit when I picture what the "average American guy" who goes abroad is probably imagined/"expected" to look like by Europeans--as in, jeans and T-shirt, a baseball cap, and somewhat obnoxious-looking athletic shoes, etc.[face_blush] I do think that a lot of younger Europeans (at least the ones I've seen over the years in my trips to Europe) do seem to dress a little bit differently than a lot of younger Americans (and I tend to appreciate the "European" look more...though I don't try to imitate it myself in any way, especially as I'm now in my mid-40s:p ).

Also, just a "heads up" to Darth Nihilon--when we get to that point (in about a week), if you'd like to be the one to come up with three new questions for our 2nd "interviewee" (Revyl Ren from Luxembourg), you are more than welcome to do so...so be thinking about that and if you'd like to, just let me know in PM.:) If you'd rather not, that's fine too, I just thought it might work well to get as many different viewpoints/"interviewers" as possible as we go along!

Darth Nihilon, panta1978 and Frank T. like this.
  18. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth Nihilon

I've lived in a couple big cities and I find there's lots of small, almost hidden museums. Many cover histories and art you'd never see in a large, popular museum. Do you know of any of these small, relatively unknown museums in your part of the world?

19. Darth Nihilon

Jun 5, 2016
    Pensivia panta1978 There is definitely much fashion in Italy! One of my most favourite designers, Valentino, is from Italy and he also creates such beautiful pieces!

Some of my favourites from Fournié are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frank T. The Pagoda Paris was very interesting. I think it used to be where a famous Asian arts collector lived. The walls are decorated panels and there are many ancient artifacts to be found. Musée Zadkin is also very interesting. It was the home of a Russian sculpter so there are many statues made from many different things to be seen in this one :)

TK42I, Gamiel, Dagobahsystem and 2 others like this.
  20. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Wow, those are all beautiful! I particularly like the first two.

Are you a fan of the Prequel Trilogy films, Darth Nihilon? One of the things I really enjoy about those films are the costumes. It's interesting to see how Lucas and the costume designer were interested in drawing on all sorts of different historical and cultural influences for the costumes, particularly those of Padme in her official role as queen in TPM.

Gamiel and Dagobahsystem like this.
  21. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the pics, Darth Nihilon! :) They are cool, especially the first one!

But there's a question that pops up in my mind whenever I see pics of a high fashion show:

For what reason are those dresses designed? I mean, some are clearly for selling to normal people, but I think of those shows that contains weird, fascinating dresses, which can't be really wear at a dinner/party/meeting/on the street. You know what I mean? Do you have an answer for my question? And what happens with those weird, fascinating dresses after the show?

Darth Nihilon and Pensivia like this.
  22. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Salut Darth Nihilon :) I'm from Croatia, but I like France a lot. I've been there twice (well, Paris and Versailles only). I also speak French. :D

I find it interesting you chose the Louvre out of all places. Some of the halls are indeed gorgeous. Unfortunately, my visit was "only" four hours long. I'd basically need a month to check every exhibit. :p

Regarding fashion, something I noticed when I was in Paris is that French ladies dress simple but stylish. I didn't see them wearing any expensive designers or brands and yet they all looked very pretty. I also noticed they wear very little make-up which is something I really like.

Pensivia too bad I can't do this interview for France too. I think I'd have a lot to talk about. :p

23. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Feel free to introduce additional topics, Eves!:D ...This "discussion period" for this week's interviewee can be about anything, really. The three questions are just really an "ice-breaker," I think.

Maybe the list of interview questions should be longer, with interviewees just choosing the questions they're most interested in out of that longer list? Maybe the same general list for all interviewees? (That's closer to how I've seen in done in other forums--"The Hellhammer" (a user and mod here) had a great interview thread in the 7SA forum back in 2014 or so* that people really seemed to enjoy...maybe I should use something more like his model....hmmmmm[face_thinking] ).

As participants (and lurkers:p) here can tell, I consider this thread "a work in progress" so any suggestions as we proceed are welcome!

*In case anyone's interested in how that thread was set up, here's a link to the page with the first post Not 100% sure if that would be the best fit here or not, though, since users in that forum kind of already "knew" each other a bit since the people being interviewed there were general regularly active in that particular forum (the "Spoilers Allowed" area pre-TFA). Since this is a much less active forum, I'm assuming a lot of the people participating and/or reading here aren't that familiar with each other (with the exception of my awesome buddies from the PT social thread and other places who have been dropping by to read/"like" and/or to post...thanks, guys![face_love])

24. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Well friends, count me in!!

Colombia is here! :D

25. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Awesome El Jedi Colombiano![face_dancing] Welcome! :)

Now we have three continents represented!:p My goal is to have all seven represented here someday...I guess to really complete the set that way, we'll have to hope for a scientist from Antarctica...or maybe a penguin:p

Edit: I just had another alternate idea for the thread...maybe it should be set up as a "question of the week" or something, where a single (broad/open-ended) question is thrown out and then everyone who wants to responds to that question and then discusses...hmmmm...[face_thinking]

Further edit: My mental wheels are turning...maybe I will create a poll to add at the top of this thread with several different options for how the thread could be set up and people could vote on the options...hmmmm....:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.