main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005

Doooooooooooo it.:p

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Do it! Do it! :)

Kahara and Anedon like this.
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well guess I will.
    I have two question, has a proposal be a marriage proposal? Or could it also be two people who admit they love/like each other?
    And is there a required amount of words?

4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Hooray for strange ideas!

I think you could make an "awkward proposal" into something besides marriage: "Let's go out/ go steady/ go back to my place..."
    whatever works for your story. Any of those proposals have plenty of room for awkwardness.

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Anedon like this.
  5. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Okay, well than I guess I will have to scrap it. There isn´t really that kind of proposal in it. It was probably a too far fetched idea anyway.

6. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Oh, please don't scrap your idea on my account! I wanted to encourage you :(

Can someone else chime in on this?

7. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    a proposal is any kind of suggestion. They could propose to go have a drink together. Someone could propose to follow a new plan at work. The proposal itself doesn't have to be romantic. It could be, of course, but it doesn't have to be.

Anedon likes this.
  8. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well what I had was two persons who where vitriolic during their childhood meeting each other again years ago and admit they have feelings for each other. But there is no kind of proposal I guess.

9. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Would it be helpful to have OCs instead of canon characters? There aren't that many vitriolic childhood friends in canon who could be a romantic pairing later in life. But if you could create two characters of your own, you could make them always snappish at each other. Also, the awkward proposal doesn't have to come from one of them. Maybe someone else proposes something awkward, like they have to work with each other, and now they see their similarities instead of all their differences.

Kahara, Captain Rakkaus and Anedon like this.
  10. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    They are OCs. It isn´t even in SW, but as I said it doesn´t make much sense, I based in on an idea I once had but it´s not that great.

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Anedon - Never shy away from strange ideas! For thoughts on how to incorporate a proposal, you can also look to synonyms for the word: plan, idea, scheme.

You could have the one of the two people 'propose' they date and see if their feelings go somewhere or that they live together to see if they'll be able to deal with being that close together. For challenges, you don't always have to be "on the nose" of the prompt, you can hint at it, or turn it on it's head and make it something people don't really think of that word as. The prompts don't have to be the focus of the story, just included. The rules state they are vague so that you can interpret them anyway you want.

12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Anedon, I'm not sure if this can help, but I will try. To me, the whole point of creative writing is unfastening the belts, jumping into the weightless state and allowing your story and your characters to take you wherever they want to be taken, beyond what's possible. And while almost any form requires some order and a tiny bit of planning, you need to decide what you want to write yourself.

This said, a proposal can even be somebody related to the characters ending up involved in a shady business scheme. The idea I had in mind, given that these are romance-oriented stories, was most certainly not of that kind, but there is absolutely NO limit on what you can and what you cannot do. :)

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002

Captain Rakkaus and Anedon like this.
  14. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
  15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Thanks guys for your advice :)
    Most of the things you proposed don't make sense in the context of my story though. But I've decided to go through with it and finish the story for the contest.

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Kahara and Captain Rakkaus like this.
  18. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Some 36 hours left to enter! This is getting exciting - we have five entries so far, just like it was the case for the first challenge. But...can we get six? Seven? Eight? [face_dancing] Seriously, don't worry about winning, just show us what you got!

Out of inspiration? Perhaps the most recent discussion topic can get you moving!

Anedon likes this.
  19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
  20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Glad that you made it. One suggestion though: for us who have absolutely never heard of this fandom, maybe a short note, a link or two in the header? Just so we know what we're reading. :)

Captain Rakkaus likes this.
  21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well there already was a short note below. ;)
    I´ve added a bit too it and also put in a link to the main wiki of the fandom. I hope it´s clearer now.

Captain Rakkaus and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Anedon - that was a very good effort, from what I read; and I was amazed that you got it from spit-balling ideas to posted, so quickly. Your beta did a fine job.

Captain Rakkaus and Anedon like this.
  23. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
  24. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    CHALLENGE #2 - Romcom...IN SPACE!!! :: VOTING

The deadline has hit some four hours ago! We have a total of seven entries - which is awesome, indeed. To those of you who didn't get in - you're more than welcome to recycle your story for the next challenge, which will be quite flexible. Or, well, you can link your entry and I will add it to the list and say that it's not eligible for voting. :)

Guidelines

You have two weeks to vote. Voting closes at 13:00 (1 PM) Central European Time on December 11th, 2016 (check the world clock). The votes will be counted and announced later that day or the next day.

- You may not vote for yourself.

- You may not post your vote in public.

- Please, take the time to read all the stories, leave a review if possible, and vote for the story that, in your opinion, elaborated best on the prompts.

Once you know whom you're voting for, send a message to Captain Rakkaus with the subject Romcom Challenge - Voting and the name of the author and the link to their story in the post body.

In accordance with the rules, a story that fails to incorporate both prompts before the voting deadline will not be counted.

Entries

The entries are listed in alphabetical order, by the author's name. For non-Star Wars stories, a link to the Wikipedia entry on the fandom has been provided for your convenience. For all stories, links to characters have been provided, too, unless they're OCs.

The sock has gone through everything posted so far and left a little supportive "Like" on all stories, or story chapters/parts, if there was more than one. :)

Reunion by Anedon [Warhammer 40,000]
    PROMPTS: Vitriolic childhood friends and Awkward proposal out of nowhere
    featuring OCs, Meia Paxton and Lucius Seran

Word Gets Around by Briannakin
    PROMPTS: Customer complaint and Word gets around...
    featuring Aurra Sing and Hondo Ohnaka

The Brightest of the Stars (When Teebo Met Latara) by Ewok Poet
    PROMPTS: Debilitating phobia and Dare challenge lost
    featuring two OTPs: Latara and Teebo and OCs, 'Kami' and 'Twig'

The Prodigal Knight and the Tragic Cupcake by Findswoman
    PROMPTS: Death of a friend/family member and Word gets around...
    featuring Female Revan and Carth Onasi

He'll Know They Stood Up (It's Time to Consider Yourself) by mavjade [The West Wing]
    PROMPTS: Debilitating phobia and Younglings knowing what we don't
    featuring Donna Moss and Josh Lyman

Star Crossed by Raissa Baiard
    PROMPTS: Death of a friend/family member and Life-threatening situation
    featuring Mara Jade and Ezra Bridger

Three Days of the Toucan by Sith-I-5 [Necroscope]
    PROMPTS: Debilitating phobia and In vino veritas!
    featuring Mary Formal (OC) and ?

This is also where the sock wishes somebody had corrected her about one of the prompts and admits her mistake - yes, it's word gets around, not "goes". [face_blush] Please, do correct me next time.

[face_dancing] Good luck, everybody! [face_dancing]

Anedon, Kahara, mavjade and 2 others like this.
  25. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Since the second part of "Star Crossed" is up, there's a name to go in the ? next to Ezra: Mara Jade