main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kiner - Force Theme - Wrong Note (Most of the Time)

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by MacMastermind, Mar 6, 2017.

1. MacMastermind

MacMastermind Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2017
    So, I'm a bit of a control freak (database guy), so I get peeved when things are out of place. Which is why when 80% of the time I hear Kiner play the force theme, I feel like the episode becomes a cheap piece of plastic when that one wrong note hits...

Note-for-note, in 'C' (without a keyboard in front of me), the force theme (correct):
    G-C--D--EFE--G--; G-C--DE ***G*** ECGF---

The 'G' surrounded by asterisks is the note in question (low 5). When Kiner plays this theme, he NEARLY ALWAYS plays a 'C' (root) there instead of the proper 'G' (low 5).

When I hear this lazy flub, I can't help but feel like he's just phoning it in. This theme has been one of the most popular musical themes in pop culture for the past 40 years and it's as complicated as 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' - yet somehow this movie composer manages to give us the Fisher Price version of the most important theme in Star Wars about 80% of the time...

What's worse is that it's actually correct sometimes. How does that even happen??

Anyway, I wanted to get this out into the universe and see if anyone else had a similar frustration with it. It's literally like nails on a chalkboard every time he gets this wrong...

Just my $.02...

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I've noticed on some of the Rebels tracks the music follows along a certain movie theme and then just adds random notes to it.

Rogue One did this as well especially the ending with Vader.

3. MacMastermind

MacMastermind Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2017
    The biggest problem I have with it is just that the theme is such an emotional theme - always happens when something deep is going on. And this carelessness just ALWAYS ruins the moment for me. As a matter of fact, it WILL ruin it for me from now on because I'll always be anticipating the flub...

So frustrating...

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm. A very interesting observation. Do you have a specific example from TCW/Rebels OST?

5. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I noticed this too in the few TCW / Rebels episodes I've watched. Nails on chalkboard sums it up well; it just sounds so wrong. It put me off TCW a little bit when I first tried to watch it, as it sort of screamed amateur to me. It's a bit like those YouTube renditions of the Imperial March that have the second line go D-D-D-Eb-Bb-G-Eb-Bb-G instead of a Gb for that sixth note.

That said, as I've now been watching TCW from the beginning (which I'm thoroughly enjoying; can't believe I dismissed it before), I've been very impressed with Kiner's music. Some of his original compositions are hella emotive. I struggle to believe that he hears the Force theme incorrectly. It must be a deliberate choice he made, which is all the more boggling. It really sounds off to me.

6. Phil Mahoney

Phil Mahoney Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2020
    This also drives me CRAZY! Why is Kiner altering one of the best pieces of music ever? Does he not realize? I'm a composer because of Williams's Star Wars scores, and The Force Theme is a very, very important piece of music to me. I'm currently listening to every Star Wars score in story order on Google Play Music, and every time I hear that wrong note, it makes me cringe. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

7. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    That's something we in the biz call "artistic interpretation".

I joke, but that's all it boils down to. I'm absolutely certain Kevin Kiner knows exactly what he is doing and is doing it on purpose. It doesn't really bother me too much, though.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.