main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. For me the new canon is good but is not that great
    There are many entertaining stories but most of them do not tell anything important or are not as epic as I wish they were

Yes Rebels is a good show and the new movies are ok but I still feel that there has not yet been something that really convinces me to buy the new canon

I do not feel yet the magic of Star Wars that I felt when I saw the prequels or the OT as a kid and the new Star Wars products do not make me feel excited

Do not get me wrong the new canon is not bad but I feel that they can do much better than now
    I've read almost all the new Marvel comics and I've read some new novels so I know what I'm talking about

Although I think my lack of interest in the new canon comes because they are too focused on the OT and avoid creating new stories or new characters

So what do you think? Do you like it the new canon or not? are you happy with what Disney/Lucasfilm has done with the saga?

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hahahahahahaha

The only good thing about the new canon is Dr. Aphra.

Even she has some qualities I don't like.

As for the other characters. The closest one that came to sympathize, Ciena Ree, who didn't surrender or defect like all the rest traitors who committed treason, serves space!fascists.

I think Claudia Gray is a great author, better than most of the old EU authors, but she's ham-stringed by Disney's vision.

As for the magic is gone angle, speaking for myself, when they labeled EU legend.... Well, excuse me for using Star Trek to get my point across.

In Star Trek Generations:

Picard: Antonia?
    Kirk: She's not real either, is she? Nothing here is real. Nothing here matters.

To stay sane inside the Star Wars fandom, I write fanfictions. And I treat Disney's Star Wars as fanfictions.

Edit:
    Also, in before probable lock.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I really can't care in the slightest for the NuCanon. The OT is good and all, but it's been milked to death at this point. I hated TFA, so the ST is of no interest to me. This is what I like: Legacy, Old Republic era and the Clone Wars. Disney is not covering the first two. As for the Clone Wars, neither Clone Wars nor Republic nor RepCom are canon. There is no reason for me to give an osik about NuCanon. It has no relevance to me. I don't just drool over anything that has 'Star Wars' printed on it.

4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Bantam Star Wars was the greatest.

5. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I like it quite a bit, and I grew up devouring the EU.

Stymi likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  7. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
  8. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    My knowledge of the new canon is limited to the movies, and I didn't like TFA but loved Rogue One, so I'm %50 positive so far!

I'm sure some of the new books and comics are good. The problem is, I just can't bring myself to care.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I like it.

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    The new canon is in one word TIMID.

They don't tell interesting stories anymore. The old EU was often times great, and often times not so great, but what I admire about it is that they took chances! Sometimes it didn't work, but when it did the payoff was great. The old EU essentially started in the early 90's when there was no stakes for Lucasfilm, so they made bold stories.

Now though, all eyes are on star wars and they are too nervous to take any risks. I read every book up until Thrawn, but I've given up now. Why should I buy Battlefront 2: Inferno Squadron when I know it is gonna be some imperial trooper who lies to herself about the glory of the empire while she goes on several pointless missions that lead up to a pointless video game storyline?

It's predictable and doesn't add to the universe, it is all just filler. Catalyst was filler, Tarkin was filler, A New Dawn was filler. Aftermath was... something.

Claudia Grays books are the only ones worth your time, and I agree she is hamstrung by Lucasfilm's new vision for Star Wars.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    It's amazing how the original Battlefront II's campaign will never be topped.

12. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017

The game hasn't been released yet...

13. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    People said the same thing for the last one and look how that turned out.

14. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    So you can say the story is bad for a game that isn't released due to the previous game which didn't have a story.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    EA's half-assed re-branding of one the greatest Star Wars video games of all time is a cash grab and a Battlefield game with new skin. I don't think anybody expects it to compare to the original.

DISCLAIMER: I'm sure it'll be a fun game, I just think it was pretty scummy of them to use that iconic name to just make a completely different game. This new game will be their chance at redemption, but it has a high bar to match.

AusStig and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Yes, DICE's recent track record for single-player campaigns prior to Battlefront being released and their lack of one once Battlefront came out really puts me at ease. :rolleyes:

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I guess the whole point I'm trying to make here is that, if people decide not to give new content a chance, then of course they won't like it.

Not everything in the new canon is great. But books like Phasma, Leia, Princess of Alderaan, Thrawn, and Lost Stars are all worth a read, and i've consistently enjoyed the comics.

Dread Pirate Roberts likes this.
  18. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    I've read everything until Thrawn and only liked Claudia Gray's books. I went into the NEU with the highest hopes. I was positive about it and was completely let down by very lame content. It wasn't awful, it just wasn't good.

But if you say Thrawn, Leia, and Phasma are all worth the read, those are the only books to come out since I've stopped, so maybe the trend is turning. This is definitely possible, Lucasfilm could be learning from their mistakes.

19. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

What? The original Battlefront II's campaign is like, a half put-together series of instant action maps. It's boring and has no real story or emotion. I mean, the gameplay is fun but that's just because Battlefront II was fun.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Thrawn is basically what you'd expect. Thrawn basically rises through the Imperial ranks while encountering a sort of Rebel-Thrawn intellect. Same type of amazing writing as the original Thrawn trilogy.

Claudia Gray is amazing at writing Princess Leia. It's not really outlandish, but the book is incredibly solid and gives a lot of good insights into the character. Great stuff.

Phasma is really out there. It basically chronicles Phasma's early life on a Mad Max/Fallout inspired world. Not to everyone's taste, but it offers amazing insight into the character. Great companion for the new Phasma comic.

kalzeth and Dread Pirate Roberts like this.
  21. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    Don't forget that amazing narration by Temuera Morrison!

22. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Reading the Disney era SW novels feels more like a homework assignment than true enjoyment for me. I read a ton of EU paper books, but have opted to go mostly audiobook for this era because I almost never feel like I just need to read another chapter before stopping. Not that the EU books didn't have their problems and stinkers, but at least 33% of them were enjoyable. Can't really name a single nucanon novel that felt rewarding.

Haven't played the games. I mostly played the old SW games simply because they were SW. They were riding the coattails of the movie, but they were fun. And KotOR was very original (and fun).

Rebels feels hollow. Forces of Destiny is just outright awful. Not capitalizing on SW animation to the fullest is a massive lost opportunity. Making a two to four season, 10 episodes a season with a serious new saga story seems like it is tailor made for the SW galaxy. Not miscellaneous events or adventure of the week. Rebels is doing that, but doing it poorly.

I'm reserving judgment on the saga movies. TFA was like a sugar rush. Left the first viewing hyped. Then the kick wore off and it started feeling less good. Kylo Ren is, by far, the most interesting character for me. They knocked it out of the park with him. First Order, Snoke and the New Republic was mostly generic.

There's a feeling I have that Disney is mistaking the success as something they are doing right more than simply "It's Star Wars. It's gonna do well when the cycle restarts, regardless." Celebrating a blockbuster (and a much smaller blockbuster) as "we're killing it" just might bite them in the rear if TLJ doesn't deliver.

23. Dread Pirate Roberts

Feb 28, 2017
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Although, I must admit, the old EU felt like this occasionally. I'm really hoping the new stuff hits its stride.

When I hear a buzz like when the Kenobi book and Darth Plagueis book came out, then I'll start reading the NEU again. Until then, I'd rather read other books.

24. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Well old EU had more stinkers than killers for me (hence 33% I mentioned). But I knew essentially every 3rd book I read would leave me feeling satisfied. I haven't felt satisfied from any of the Nucanon books. I don't even get the Bloodline love. The most interesting part was the worry that Kylo would find out Vader was his grandfather theme and it was never really fully realized. I'd like to say the political side was intriguing, but it wasn't.

The interesting angle for a Leia story would be her serious problems with the New Republic. Her being viewed as the warmonger with the startup of the Resistance. And not making it obvious that she *was* right about the First Order danger, but getting into the grey of how possibly the existence of the Resistance helped fuel those leaving the New Republic because of it.

It could have been a major plot point for TFA. The New Republic telling Leia that the First Order is only fighting the Resistance, not the New Republic and that if she'd just retire the Resistance, the two can live in their own realms while not being a direct threat to the other. And the New Republic maintains this view right up until its destruction on Hosnian Prime ... at the end of TFA while the New Republic remained out of the fight because everybody thought the final movie target was the Resistance base. Perhaps even make Luke more on the side of the New Republic over Leia's Resistance ... the other reason he didn't feel compelled to take up the sword in the movie.

TFA would have essentially ended with a Leia saying (not literally) "Told ya so", giving her the biggest role yet.

The Nucanon has so much possibility, but it is playing it blah. Some great structures set up too afraid to become great.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012