main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you like the new canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Pretty good. I'm getting more invested in it as it goes on. Never connected with anything from the EU after The New Jedi Order, really (except for the comics, and even then only really Legacy Vol. 1 and KOTOR) so I don't have a problem with the do-over. Looking forward to the expansion into new eras, which will come with time. The EU had forty years to do its thing; the new canon's really only into its third (2014's releases were mostly all EU hold-overs that were already in production).

More specifically, I think the Lando comic might be the best thing that's been done with the character. The Han Solo comic was great, and a lot of the others have been good too. The new Darth Vader series is a nice consolidation of all those post-ROTS Vader stories. Lost Stars, Thrawn, Bloodline, Catalyst, and the Aftermaths were great. The younger readers adventures, Weapon of a Jedi, Moving Target, and Smuggler's Run were fantastic and handled the Big Three well. Haven't played the Battlefronts, but who goes into an online shooter expecting a great story? The Old Republic ruined everything good about the original KOTORs, and I don't expect the new Battlefront to live up to the old Battlefront II.

2. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I really like new canon. I've read everything so far and didn't like only maybe two books. I enjoy work of story group, how characters like Rae Sloane went from book to comics to book and is mentioned in another book.

I'be been discovering Legends and while I loved Republic comics and Dark Times I tend to fell asleep with Empire.
    I never felt so bored with new canon so there's something ;)

And besides NC is only 3 years old, give it time to grow.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes I like it, so far. Although I do not deny that that might change depending on how it (TLJ and Episode IX in particular) handle/answer certain questions.

If I had one significant complaint, it'd be that LF seeming obsession with making much of the ST and what led up to it shrouded in mystery, has hurt the potential for even more good storytelling, at least in the short-term.

4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm really enjoying it...and Star Wars more than I have in a long time. Long time Star Wars fan. I saw Empire in the theater in '80 (a little to young to see ANH in the theater). I was there when HTTE came out...etc.

So many great stories in so many mediums. It's a great time to be a Star Wars fan.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

5. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    It has its ups and downs. Like the old canon.

Though to be fair, I wasn’t all that familiar with everything in the old canon because for a long time I kept losing interest in SW and then re-discovering my love for it, rinse and repeat. There was a lot of stuff that I missed.

But I can make a list of what I like the most about the NEU and what disappoints me in comparison to what I know we had before.

What I like:

1. There are more movies and TV series. Even when I don’t like them all, it’s still better than the previous option of “no more movies”.
    2. There are more female characters in important roles. Even if some could have been better written (like Rey), I’m just glad this is no longer a man’s world with a few women here and there. Most importantly, there are tons of female Imperials now! I love that.
    3. There is more effort to create a unified, consistent Canon (instead of a messy hierarchy of contradicting canons). It’s not perfect, there has been some contradictions, but it’s still not as messy as before. Yet.
    4. Vader. With the exception of issue #2 from the new comics which I’m still not a fan of, this character got an amazing revamp in the new canon. Also, nothing compares to the joy I felt seeing him retuning to the big screen in RO.
    5. Twilight of the Apprentice. Not a huge fan of Rebels, but that episode was the best piece of SW storytelling since TESB for me.
    6. Rogue One. I love the explanation about the DS flaw and I love the story about getting the plans and I love the characters.
    7. I have found new favorites that have made their way to my top 10 lists, which has never happened before. Namely, Doctor Aphra and Admiral Sloane.
    8. There is no Galen Marek in the new canon. That is always plus.

What disappoints me:

1. TFA as the sequel to ROTJ. It’s just an uninspiring movie, and I’m not that interested in a OT reboot. Perhaps if TFA came after we had one or two sequel trilogies of something different, it would feel a more exciting welcome back to the roots (a shadow-y organization trying to revive an Empire that has been so long forgotten? Sounds interesting!) but right immediately after the OT feels too much… OT all over again, but starring Poor Man’s Somebodies. Not that exciting.
    2. Leia. She was background decoration vomiting exposition in TFA because apparently there is no room for two important female Force users in the new trilogy (Girl Power, yay?) and the comics haven’t exactly been fair to her.
    3. Han and Leia only having a spoiled psychopath for a son. Not that I was attached to Jacen, Jaina or Anakin, but the NEU alternative is too depressing. All that wonderful romance leads to that? Ugh. Leia should’ve said no.
    4. The inquisitors. I don’t remember they coming across as so useless in Legends. Though I think my main problem with the new inquisitors comes from Filoni who, for some reason I cannot understand, promoted the first Inquisitor defeated by yet-Padawan Kanan to Grand Inquisitor. It just makes no sense storytelling-wise.
    5. The sudden transition between Republic era and Empire era in the NEU is really way too sudden for no practical or logical reason, and it feels so unnatural and convoluted. I didn’t like the Ashoka novel.
    6. Dark Disciple. Ugh.

That’s all I have for now.

6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I like everything I've consumed from the new canon. Why wouldn't I? The people in charge didn't really change.

I just hate what did change: the EU flushed down the toilet. For example, I liked Rogue One, but I would've liked a movie that had Toprawa and Bria Tharen and Despayre and Bevel Lemelisk even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stymi, SpecForce Trooper and kalzeth like this.
  7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This is (more or less) exactly how I feel too. The old EU had some amazing stories that are virtually impossible to top, with some being my absolute favourite pieces of fiction, Star Wars or otherwise. The old EU also had some terrible stories that I'm glad they are gone. The same can be said of the new EU. Rogue One is definitely one of my favourite Star Wars movies (and depending on the mood, even my favourite), so I am very grateful for it. Then there are things like Dark Disciple...

I don't think that the old EU can fully replace the new one and vice verse. There are good and bad elements in both, and sticking to just one continuity robs you of some truly great stories. I'd stick to the best of both.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes, a lot.

9. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Nothing left for me to say. Nailed my opinion.

AusStig and Dread Pirate Roberts like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm really of two minds here.

First, we've got a fairly decent Thrawn book. Plus a Thrawn TV show. I mean that's pretty awesome. And he killed a god. Right in the faces.*

But on the other hand, there is pretty much absolutely zilch San Hill. That's rather a bummer. I watched Game of Thrones this summer and was thinking, wow Missandei, you stole San Hill's clothes. Maybe that's why he's not in the new EU. If I had no clothes I wouldn't want to be seen in public either.

So in the end I think the moral of the story is that it evens out. Both EUs giveth and they taketh and I'm not sure if I like either of them or why I'm still posting here.

*He did not kill a god.
    Yes, he did.
    No, he didn't.
    Yes, he disappeared just like that old guy in ANH and became more powerful than we imagine.
    No, he didn't. Because he was laughing.
    That doesn't mean anything.
    No, he didn't die because Pablo Hidalgo said something on Twitter.
    Pablo said his twitters aren't canon.
    You made that up.
    I'm gonna call mom. mod.

11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That has been my general thought as well. Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

That is for the books, anyway.

For the comics, I'm going with better.

Movies: better. Than the prequels anyway...which is not the same thing as saying I hate the prequels. I love those too, FYI. The OT...kinda in a different category. Classics now.

Show: the same. Although I liked TCW a little better. But that's not a quality statement.

Short stories: same...although I'm irked at the irregularity if how often they are published in SW Insider, since I only subscribe for the short stories. That being said, the new Canon is doing interesting things with shirts, so this may get bumped to better. SW has not invested this much in short stories since the Bantam days.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

12. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I feel this way often. And then I think "BoShek is awesome" and where else can I go with a thought like that?

Edit:
    Their hat game these days leaves me less than impressed. And the pants just aren't like they used to be.

Barriss_Coffee and Stymi like this.
  13. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Well, i am like the new canon, TFA and RO looks great movies (as i prefer TFA), the marvel comics have good and bad moments, and the books are the best part of canon.
    Also Rebels is okay, but i am not in love with the series.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    TFA just left me so disappointed, especially with the new canon basically taking what TCW did to the Clone Wars and applying it to the entire universe, to the point all of my favorite characters are either ruined, dead, or replaced with generic replacements. Stories as simple as The Last Hand by Paul Danner have captured the universe far better than anything that the new canon has done. For everything from the EU that I am glad is gone, there are infinitely more things that I deeply miss, which pretty much can't be fixed, because they are committed to the new canon. I have no interest in Star Wars video games as long as EA holds the license.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    La Calavera pretty much nailed my thoughts on it. I would only add this on the plus side:

Hera. The NuCanon opening up with Hera, and Kanan done better than he was done in the show, was a great start. It's had its low points (what's up Kylo Ren? Why can't you be more like Jaina and Anakin? Why can't you BE Jacen and Anakin?), but I would say so far, so good, especially given that Legends' continuation was the post-NJO EU.

La Calavera and spicer like this.
  16. Point_Of_View

Point_Of_View Jedi Knight star 2

May 23, 2017
    It's dirty stinky poopy.

17. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Not a fan of the new canon or the old "canon".
    I haven't seen/read everything in both "canons", but from what I have, both contain a lot of stuff I don't like.

I don't like TFA. Characters and Story were dull.
    RO was boring for the most part.
    I don't like Rebels. I don't like the Rebel characters in their shows/books/comics.
    I wish SW had more "heroes" with better morals.
    I have posted elsewhere reasons I don't like Rebels and TFA.

"Disney's original characters" don't interest me.

I don't like how Luke and Vader have been handled.

"Heir to the Jedi" was boring.
    I didn't bother to finish "Weapon of a Jedi".

I had some hope for the comics/books, but I have been disappointed many times.

From what has been released TLJ doesn't look very appealing either.

Don't like direction "force lore" appears to be heading either, but that problem started in "Old Canon"

I really hope they don't go further into "balance of the force Mortis crap" or "chosen one prophecy"

kalzeth likes this.
  18. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Now, I don't agree with your other stuff, but Heir was originally a legends book, part of the trifecta of Han/Leia/Luke OT books that were coming out in the last couple years of Legends. It got backported into Canon.

19. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    Didn't know that, but I didn't like everything in Legends either.

20. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Comparing "Canon" and "Legends" is always weird for me. In both cases I found some stories I loved, some stories I was indifferent to or bored by, and some stories that made me question what the hell the writers were drinking thinking. And in both cases I there's still lots of material I haven't read yet. But if I had to sum it up:

Legends has more variety, but less consistency.

Canon has consistency, but less variety.

Both have pros and cons. Legends had decades of stories from different writers, all with different interpretations of what Star Wars is all about, and they often contradicted each other or stood on each other's toes. You got lots of weird and stupid and downright awful stuff, but also some neat ideas. Stories in the ancient past or far future, and more stories about completely original characters only tangentally related to the Big 3 and the events of the films.

As for Canon, there is definitely more of a conscious effort to make sure the stories fit with each other, both in the sense of continuity and the sense of thematically. There are thankfully no stories with trans dimensional blob monsters, 3 eyed mutants plotting to steal Darth Vader's glove, extra galactic invaders who seem straight out of Warhammer 40K, or Mandalorians written by Karren Travis. (Though apparently some of the new comics had Space Vampires, so some of that 70's wackiness is apparently still alive). But although I loved Rogue One and Lost Stars, some of the other stories have been a bit too samey.

If anything, what the New Canon needs is time. Time to explore new eras and fill out the gaps in the timeline. Time to generate enough lore to fill whole new "Essential Guide" books. Time to create more brand new characters and try some new things even if they seem weird (though maybe lay off the Space Vampires a bit) . It is still a pretty young continuity after all.

21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait, did you only try reading those two stories?

22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
  23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I feel like I'm the only person on here who liked Heir to the Jedi. The audiobook was great.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I enjoy it quite a bit. it is far from perfect but Legends was the same way. We have so much coming out that even when i dislike something there is always another book or comic right around the corner. I liked but did not love TFA but only a year later we got RO which I personally enjoy more than maybe any other SW film. I am a bit tired of the over saturation of Imp focused stories and Galactic civil war stuff but at this point they seem to be moving away from that more. There are kinks that need to be worked out as always and they worked them out pretty fast imo

JediBatman likes this.
  25. SatineNaberrie

Jan 28, 2014
    No,

I have read some of the Star Wars comics and most of the 1st Darth Vader series.
    1st issue of Kanan comic
    Dark Disciple
    Tarkin
    Lords of the Sith

Not interested enough to read other books.
    Post- ROTJ doesn't really hold my interest.