main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social "International Interview" Thread--All Are Welcome!

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Pensivia, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    I have to say Chyn, New Zealand English is really hard to explain. Many times when I have been overseas, I have been told by people to slow and spell out the words, since we often speak rather fast at times and often use a lot of slang that is virtually unheard of unless you live here.

I would definitely recommend Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit, which were directed by Sir Peter Jackson. Both trilogies show off New Zealand's beauty and splendor and they are also our biggest tourist attraction :)

2. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'd love to hear an example or two of some of your favorite Kiwi slang (and its meaning/how it's used):D

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you have any thoughts on Angus Fangus?

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I would also recommend Taika Waititi's cult indie horror comedy What We Do in the Shadows, which is a movie shot as if it was a documentary, following a group of vampire roommates who own a house together in Wellington. The humour comes from the mundane and matter-of-factly way the movie treats its fiction. It's never hilariously funny, but you'll be chuckling throughout at the absurdity of it.

Chyntuck and Pensivia like this.
  5. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    Some of the slang we use in New Zealand is as follows :)

Anklebiter = toddler
    Arvo = afternoon
    Bach = holiday home
    Bloke = man
    Brickie = bricklayer
    Cheers = thank you
    Chocka = full
    Chips = deep fried potatoes
    G'Day = hello
    Knackered = tired
    Mate = buddy
    Motorway = freeway
    Pav = pavalova
    Pikelet = small pancake
    Rubbish = garbage, trash
    Sparkie = electrician
    Stubby = small glass of beer
    Sunday driver = slow driver, mainly elderly persons
    Ta - another term for thank you
    Takeaway = food that can be taken away and eaten
    Tiki tour = taking the long way to your destination
    Togs = swimsuit
    Twink = white out ink
    Ute = small pick up truck
    Veges = vegetables
    Vollie = volunteer
    Wop-wops = out of the way location, i.e. the countryside

6. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I like 'sparkie'. :D

Also, the British use of 'chips' doesn't make sense to me. Doesn't the word chip refer to something flat? Like a flake? French fries aren't flat. :confused:

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Those are great! I see a few that I know are shared in UK slang.

I think my faves from that list are "Tiki tour," "wop-wops" and "anklebiter":p

Sometimes Americans refer to small children as "rug rats". A rude equivalent to "wop-wops" here would be the abbreviation "BFE" (explained in this Urban Dictionary link: (language warning): https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BFE

I would love it if "Cheers" would catch on here for "Thanks"...but no such luck so far:p

8. Kyber Acyk

Nov 30, 2017
    I honestly have no idea Violet :confused:

You never know Pensivia, if you use "Cheers" enough, it might catch on!! ;)

Chyntuck and Pensivia like this.
  9. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I would like to point out that several of those slang terms are also used in Australia.

I freely admit, however, that all my knowledge of British and "Down Under" slang is garnered from second hand sources.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Personally I really like the Dead Lands

11. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Happy New Year, everyone!

It's finally 2018, which means it's time for the long-promised rehash soft reboot new version of this thread! I plan to have the new one up sometime this week...in the meantime, I would like to ask @Skiara to please lock this one (I will link to the old thread in the first post of the new one.)

So,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    So, I was the one who locked the thread without fanfare back when you made that post. I saw that you asked Skiara to lock it, didn't give it much thought and just did it. It didn't occur to me until later that maybe some of the longtime readers of the thread, including myself, might want to say something. But I thought that now that I had already locked it, the moment had passed anyway and I couldn't undo it. But I've been thinking about it since and it's been bothering me, so why not? Sure we can undo it! Let's give the thread a proper sendoff!

So first, let me apologize for my thoughtlessness. Then, I would like to thank you, Pensivia, for taking the initiative to create the thread and for sticking by it to host it. Without exaggeration, it is my favourite thread on the boards. Especially considering that I spend the rest of my time on the boards goofing off in the JCC, it has been really rewarding to find this thread where you can actually learn interesting things. :p And talk to people from all around the world, last but not least. I look forward to seeing its new iteration.

[​IMG]

P.S. I would also thank all the participants, but since I am one of them myself, it seems oddly self-serving to do so. :p

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I second and third what VVM said, and I'm glad he unlocked the thread because I wanted to post my thanks as well.

This was a wonderful idea for a thread @Pensivia and I thought that all the contributions here were thoughtful, interesting and fun. I'm looking forward to the new thread when you have time to set it up, and I hope that DRL is giving you a break (or at the very least will be doing so soon!)

14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Wow, thanks so much for your posts, @Violent Violet Menace and @Chyntuck!!:) I'm touched, really.[:D]

The focus of this thread (and the new one) is very "near and dear" to me, and I'm truly gratified to know that others have enjoyed it as well.

Best of all, your posts have inspired me to stop procrastinating (seriously, I'm a terrible perfectionist...which often leads to procrastination :p..) and finally get the new thread off the ground! I have sent a PM to @Skiara to get her modly input on the opening post, so once I get her feedback and ok, we'll be off and running!

Many thanks to everyone who participated in this thread and I really hope to see as many of you as possible in the new one!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Gamiel, Chyntuck, B3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    I’d like to join the applauding members above in congratulating for such a great thread. I really love the idea and what you achieved with it! It gives so much inside to other countries and culture. It’s just cool! It’s also one of the top threads that forms FFC these days. So thanks a ton for all your time and work!! [:D]

As about procrastinating... as far as I know you simply don’t do that for wrong reasons. Keep always in mind: RL is more important and do as much as you want without loosing the fun of it! That means, take a break when needed and continue when possible.

That said: Looking forward to your thread!

(Will read your OP asap)

(thanks, VVM, for your unlocking post!)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  16. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Violent Violet Menace and Gamiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.