main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I like the poster covers. Plus...the brand consistency seems pretty smart to me.

Also... I'm extremely excited about this novelization. More than I normally am for a novelization. What they are doing is pretty unique and ambitious.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

lordpixie likes this.
  2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Do we know when the paperback will be released?

3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Isn't usually a year or so after the hardback?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Anywhere between 6 months to a year.

5. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    UK paperback for TFA and RO was released near simultaneously, so you could pick that up from Wordery or book depository which both have free worldwide shipping for folks out of the UK.

Hypatia likes this.
  6. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Loving the hype for this novel, it's clever to make it clear that the readers can get a deeper experience. I feel like most of the people here were on board the moment Jason Fry was announced as the author, but the more relaxed SW fan might need a bit more of a push.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Nice posters/covers they be, but I'm still a bit hurt that this wasn't the theatrical:

[​IMG]

9. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    The Dolby poster is probably most Struzanian, I wouldn't mind having a one-sheet sized version of it.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Luke's face reminds me of Thrackan Sal-Solo's face on the cover of the second part of the Corellian Trilogy.

BigAl6ft6 and SensationalSean like this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, considering that the novelization will include additional information & scenes, I wonder if there will be a reference to where Statura, Snap, Jess, and other TFA Resistance personnel are... [face_thinking]

--Adm. Nick

Stymi and jSarek like this.
  12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Didn't the visual dictionary state that they were on assignment elsewhere when the First Order dropped the hammer on the Resistance.

13. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I just want more Snoke details.

kalzeth and PCCViking like this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The VD did, but maybe we'll get a few more tidbits as well. Maybe on Leia's Outer Rim allies as well. We'll know in a few months!

--Adm. Nick

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm hoping that the novel explain a bit more the entire Rey, Luke and Yoda scenes from the movie. To include a proper description of Leia, the force and flying back to the ship.

16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I doubt we're going to be getting "explanations" for things the film decides to leave unexplained. I'm sure the writing will clarify some stuff, and present some interesting extra details, but folks hoping for a Snoke POV chapter or a thirty-page version of the flashback are probably going to be disappointed.

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    What "proper description of Leia, the force and flying back to the ship" is needed? She reached out with the Force and pulled the ship to her, just like we've seen Jedi do countless times with lightsabers. It's just, if you have a big enough "lightsaber" and no fixed frame of reference, doing that is indistinguishable from pulling yourself to it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule, Ghost, Stymi and 4 others like this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I love it, with that explanation it basically means that if a jedi or sith can concentrate enough, they can even fly......okay, I can dig it.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    We have seen Jedi and Sith fly in gravity (I don't know how else to describe a multi-story jump, at some point it is not a jump anymore). I don't know why it's suddenly a problem that Leia does it in micro-gravity.

KSennia and jSarek like this.
  20. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Oh yeah? Well my powers have doubled since The Force Awakens novelization was released!

kalzeth, PCCViking and Sinrebirth like this.
  21. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I would honestly say she WAS pulling herself to the ship, rather than pulling the ship to her.

The reason we're even having this discussion is because that entire thing was very execution-dependent, and the way it was executed left us with these questions. If she had been shown reaching out with her hand even as everyone else was being blown out, against the force of the escaping atmosphere and loose items, almost as if she were holding onto a branch to keep from being pulled down a river, then I think less questions would have been asked. No one would have questioned it had, say, Palpatine done the same thing when the bridge viewport of the Invisible Hand was breached by Grievous - it would have fracked up the plot of Revenge of the Sith something awful, yes, but in terms of his powers and abilities, few would have been saying "bullsheev" or making Mary Poppins jokes about it. But Leia was left out in space for too long, and was too far out from the ship. Is that too much for me? Not really - I was willing to swallow people dueling right on top of lava, for cryin' out loud! But I do get how it could have been jarring for some, and head-scratching for others.

What can Jason Fry provide to help that scene out in the novelization? Probably neither more nor less than a "proper description" of what she was doing: was she pulling herself to the ship, pulling the ship to her, or just flying? Fry could potentially nail down which of those it was, and that'd be more than enough for me.

22. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Do you think Marvel fans sit around wondering how Star Lord did the exact same thing with LESS pre-established lore setting up the idea that he could?

No, cuz Star Lord is a man, this nonsense only happens when women do anything cool. :(

23. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    People can survive in space for anywhere around two or three minutes, so she wasn't even out in space too long, and that's without her being a Force-user.

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Can they? I've seen this said elsewhere but I don't believe it. Space is airless, cold and has thousands of little objects floating around. Humans can not survive being thrown into the empty void. It's never been done in reality.

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Remember that time Bane flew through vacuum on a space dragon from one planet to the next?

Star Wars has always been about strict adherence to realism

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

KSennia likes this.