main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I stopped watching as soon as it referenced Guardians of the Galaxy. I hated that film.

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
  4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I mean the video's about Star-Lord. But there are plenty of articles about surviving in space. Here's one.

KSennia likes this.
  5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The previous posts cover a lot of this ground, but to address your specific points ...

Space IS airless, and that is what will eventually kill you. But you have several seconds of consciousness and several minutes of survivability in vacuum. The medical consequences of that exposure are severe, but since Leia was rushed into a futuristic medical ward right after her swim in hard vacuum, they need not be lasting.

I'll come back to the "cold" in a minute.

Claiming it has "thousands of little objects" can only be true if you are talking about a *lot* of space. The void of space is, unsurprisingly, a void, which means for the most part there isn't anything there. The mean density of interstellar space is about one atom per cubic centimeter; if you want particles large enough to be called dust (again, typically microscopically small), you're looking at about a particle per meter.

And this is why space being "cold" is deceptive. Temperature is defined by the movement of atoms, and as we just saw, there aren't many atoms moving in space. Vacuum is a very good insulator (it's the principle behind thermos bottles); indeed, the problem in space generally isn't keeping things warm, but finding a way to get rid of heat. A body blown into space would eventually cool to just above absolute zero, but never in the brief window of time where space is survivable.

And while we've never thrown someone into space to see if they can survive, we came close. in 1965, NASA test subject Jim LeBlanc's pressure suit failed while inside a vacuum chamber. From NASA's Ask an Astrophysicist:

6. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    If actually look, it seems that Leia is also pushing debris out of the way as she moves towards the remnants of the Raddus bridge.

jSarek likes this.
  7. Your Pal Friendpatine

Your Pal Friendpatine Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2017
    I'm looking forward to this, I haven't read any of the recent novelizations (I've read Ep. I once and IV-VI multiple times) but after seeing the movie I went out the next day to buy the book and was surprised to find that the film novelization wasn't released with the movie. Is that common with Star Wars novelizations these days? I know the original films they released the novelizations before the movies even came out. I think TPM was the same way but I didn't read it until after I saw it. I'd never heard of a tie-in novel that came out months after the movie but I don't do just a whole lot of novelizations.

Having said that I did come across two little 80s novelization treasures at the used book store the other day, WarGames and Explorers. I have a feeling the latter is going to be pretty bizarre...

[​IMG]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm a huge fan of WarGames, and didn't even realize it had a novelization. Very cool find!

Your Pal Friendpatine likes this.
  9. Your Pal Friendpatine

Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah, I love both those movies and wasn't aware that either of them had a novelization. The WarGames novelization was written by David Bischoff, who wrote a few pretty good Star Trek TNG episodes, so maybe it will be a fun read. It seems like it would make a good techno-thriller novel.

10. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Since the Disney buy-out, the earliest we've gotten a novelization is when the digital edition of The Force Awakens dropped the day of the movie's premiere. For The Last Jedi, the director wanted to work with the author to provide an expanded experience, hence the delay.

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Which is a good thing (hopefully), since TFA novelization was horrible. Maybe we were spoiled by the ROTS novelization, but TFA novelization was that bad.

Ghost and Vialco like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’m not one to ordinarily criticise a novel completely, but I found the RotS novel impossibly difficult to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I just loved the way it added to the scenes from the movie, especially the description of the duel between Sidious and the Jedi Masters.

KSennia likes this.
  14. Your Pal Friendpatine

Dec 29, 2017
    I guess that's OK. You do want an expanded experience from a novelization after all, as opposed to somebody just copying the film into book form. And at least the author gets time to actually see and digest the finished films so I'm guessing we won't see any blue Yodas. On the other hand, when I do want to read a novelization it's usually right after I see the movie that I most want to read it. With the delayed release it will probably also get thrown on the reading pile for a delayed read.

15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Well, technically...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  16. Your Pal Friendpatine

Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah, like most Force ghosts I guess he had a blue aura around him but you could still tell he was green.

17. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    On whether we'll learn more about Snoke, this article would seem to insinuate that a) Snoke DOES have a backstory, and b) Johnson known what it is, he just couldn't think of anywhere to put it without grinding the plot to a halt for an infodump. So it's entirely possible.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oops. I meant the TFA novel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  20. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The back's like the TFA one with a different color scheme.

21. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Are you ready for Emerald City Comic Con? Because these exclusive porg pins are ready for you. Come by both 1610 and your purchase of THE LAST JEDI's Con exclusive edition guarantees you a free pin of the creature so cute not even a Wookiee could eat it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Those pins are so cute! Porgs are the best thing to come out of TLJ. I hope this novelization does the Porgs justice. Is a Porgs pov scene out of the question? Or am I waiting 40 years for the 40th anniversary anthology to do a gag Porgs pov scene?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

23. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Absolutely agree RE: TFA novel. It was terrible.

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    The TFA junior novel was quite good, though.

25. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Might have to check that out then, thanks.