main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did you discover the Jedi Council?

Discussion in 'Archive: Anniversary Forum' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jul 3, 2018.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The year was 2002. Before the dark times. Before Michael Bay.

I was reading the media supplement of El País, Spain's largest newspaper at the time, and in an article about the then-upcoming Attack of the Clones the son of a **** writer piece of **** proceeded so spoil the whole movie, from the beginning until the Geonosis arena. After swallowing a few curses, I noticed that the sources sidebar mentioned a website, http://boards.theforce.net

So I lurked a bit, and then my RPG love made me join Games and Lit to (don't laugh) ask about Imperial Intelligence lore. "Who leads Imperial Intelligence, Blackhole or Isard?", I asked with a lisp (I mean, not really, but it works better if you read it with a lisp)

And the rest, as they say, is history. Twenty years later, I'm the head admin of this place and I married a woman I met in the boards. Huh.

Tell us your story!

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I used to comment below the episode guides on Starwars.com for Clone Wars Episodes. They eventually got rid of those so I no longer had a place to discuss Star Wars. A year and a half or so later I stumbled across the JCF and after scouting it out for a day or two I joined. Four years later and here I still am.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Happiest wriggles! It all started in 2003 with an Internet search for Luke/Mara fanfiction. Stumbled upon the JCF and Jedi Trace's awesome short story. Then I read some other great fanfictions, SQUEEING all the way [face_laugh] and then with the advent of "Monday Mush Mania" challenge, I started writing my own self. And the rest is history!

With the arrival of the NSWFF side, [face_dancing] I HAD to write for 2 grand and fantabulous fandoms!
    [face_party]

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    My memory is a bit hazy but...

I got online sometime late 2000 and one of the first things I did was started doing searches (in whatever the main search engine was in 2000 - Probably AOL or Yahoo?) for Episode II Spoilers.

That took me a website by someone Roderick (can't remember the guys second name) who was produced artistic drawing's/interpretations of TF.N's PT Spoilers (and yes from what I remember they were very good - I remember one of the first images I saw for Episode II was his interpretation of the Clone Factory of Kamino... And I was just blown away)

Anyway Roderick was linking to the source of his drawing's which was TF.N. So TF.N became a regularly visited website... From there it was just a short jump to the JC.

I lurked for a long time as the JC was a very intimidating place back then... But in Aug 2001 I finally signed up to talk about the title of Episode II.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    SkywalkerShine and pronker like this.
  5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I wish I could remember. Most likely I put "Star Wars" into a Yahoo or AltaVista search sometime in 1999/2000 and found TF.N.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I was a dumb 15-year-old looking for NJO spoilers. It was near the end of the summer and I was bored after having just had a fun vacation in Hawai'i (want to go back at some point). My sense of humor and political compass hadn't yet been properly calibrated, so I made a lot of awful posts and I annoyed a lot of people. I didn't think much of it at first. I thought I would spend a while hanging around and then move on to some other forum. Little did I know I would become actual friends with some of my fellow weirdos here and even meet several in "real life." This place has had a bigger effect on me than I would like to admit. I'm still pretty dumb, though.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't remember how i found it exactly, probably similarly to jazib. i do remember i was quitting smoking at the time (i am always quitting smoking) and the jc quickly became a replacement addiction. still waiting to meet my future spouse and be named head admin. any day now.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    My then almost 12 y/o daughter had discovered it via fanfic and would link me fics to read. Registered when I started posting a fic myself, made friends and have never left.

While she did, I still keep in contact with many of those old fanficcers via fb and such that no longer frequent the boards.

9. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    I started lurking around 2007, when I was 14. I might have seen it mentioned in Insider, which I had a subscription to. I think I was mainly looking for news about The Clone Wars and the live action series, but I was really sucked in by Lit. Retcon week (or was it month?) was one of the "coolest":-B things I'd ever seen. I guess I still mostly lurk. Hi.

SkywalkerShine, pronker and G-FETT like this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I was on fire for Star Wars after viewing Ep. III, the end of the saga or so it seemed. From 2005's first getting a computer rather than needing to drive to the library to use theirs in 20 minute signups, I lurked for 6 months on starwars.com reading film and character commentary, where somebody mentioned TFN. Wow!=D= I discovered stories about the whole canon gang, and OCs, parodies *a weakness* and then spin off websites like Hells Chance Cantina!

Life was/is good.:):obiwan::anakin::vader:@};-

11. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    There was a fanfilm (not Star Wars) that had somehow made its way into the local paper as a must-see event. In the list of related topics, it mentioned TF.N as a place to see SW fanfilms. I watched those for about a month before I finally decided to click on the "Join the Forums" button (or whatever it said at the time). And I haven't looked back.

Sinrebirth , TCF-1138 and pronker like this.
  12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    There was a booth for the local FanForce at Celebration IV. It might have been Lowbacca I talked to but I can't really remember and wouldn't have made the connection at the time. Anyway it sounded fun so I joined the local chapter for awhile, doing some stuff with them, then restlessly explored the rest of the forum eventually finding the EUC and YJCC. I latched onto Andalite a bit in the beginning and kind of followed his lead in some ways, which probably helped me get used to the place (still miss him even if he hasn't been around 90% of my time here). Haven't done anything with FF in years (the chapter is basically defunct anyway) but the JC is one of the main parts of my internet routine now and I like a lot of you, so I'm sticking around even if sometimes I'm a bit more lurk-y than post-y.

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    In mid 1998 I was on the Countingdown forums for TPM. I heard about this forum through that one and started lurking here in early 1999. It took me about 3 months to create an account. It was the fight over whether The Phantom Menace could beat Titanic at the box office that drew me in here. Hell no said I. Needless to say it wasn't a popular position in March or April of 1999. And probably the last time I was right about anything having to do with box office.

14. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    No particular memories. I certainly found TFN well before my JC join date, but I don't recall exactly when. I know I was well informed on AotC spoilers before that came out and knew exactly what happened in the movie before I went to see it. I was also working my way through the EU at that point and basically following along with the novels' review timeline that TFN had at that time.

Exactly when I first ventured onto JC or what pushed me to actually join, I do not recall.

Sinrebirth and pronker like this.
  15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd known about TF.N main page and read fanfic in the now defunct FanFic Archive (I don't remember when it was exactly, I know it was prior to RotS), but I'd not known about the boards for quite awhile. Then I finally found the fanfic boards and started lurking, reading everything I could. I lurked for at least a year until I needed instructions for a Star Wars Risk game and so I decided to ask if anyone in games had it. They did, and just that one post got me over my fear of joining in and I've never looked back.

Now I'm marrying someone I met because of this place and have so many friend in real life I'd have never know if it wasn't for the boards.

Happy Anniversary JCF!! [face_party]

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I was lurking September 2004, the Fleet Junkie thread while hunting Star Destroyer information on the Net. I didn’t join because I knew my then-fiancé wouldn’t approve. But we broke up, and so within a couple of days I joined in November 2004, sitting in the college computer room at the ripe old age of 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I was looking for New Jedi Order spoilers and came to the lit boards via the main TFN page. At first I made legit posts that downgraded into lit-related silliness that moved to completely off-topic from book discussion. A helpful mod informed me there were more forums that just lit and maybe it would be a good idea to post somewhere else. :p

Jedi_Allegra, pronker and MrZAP like this.
  18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Good Chuck, the Jemmiah Chronicles. What a wonderous blast from the past those stories are.

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I found this place because I followed a bunch of SW blogs back in the dark times 2009ish. One of them, think it was Club Jade, referenced a poll or a battle royal lit (I think) did to determine the top EU characters. So I clicked the link, lurked around in lit for a few months before I decided to join. Posted in lit for a bit, pestered Dan Wallace about decapitated Padawans. When I decided to explore the forums a little bit, I discovered the Fanfic boards. And now I have so many hours of my life I will never get back.

mavjade and pronker like this.
  20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Same here.

pronker likes this.
  21. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It was January 2001, I had just finished reading an NJO book, probably Balance Point, and decided to seek out a place to discuss it. I came here, registered, but found the whole thing a little intimidating. A year later, after reading Star by Star I had the same impulse, figured out I was still registered here, and started posting. I think my first post was exactly one year after my registration date.

You're all old.

Amazing.

MrZAP, Sinrebirth and pronker like this.
  22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    They have some of the best OCs.

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Today I learned you're all a bunch of NJO nerds.

24. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    That's not what this thread is for! Go back to your AltaVista searches.

Amazing.

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I was very new to this thing called the internet, I typed Star Wars in altavista and found this place called TheForce.Net and I clicked around and saw that you could discuss Star Wars. I was so new that I thought that I had to register just to be able to read the discussions, so I registered. And then I got totally intimidated by the fact that there were people around that knew so much about Star Wars, and you could even read books about it.