main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Ezra Allin

Chapter 2 Draft Day Cont.

It turned out that my dad knew what he was doing. After our pick there was a run on defensive players. At the end of the first round my mom came back downstairs. “Time for your friends to go home. Does anyone need a ride?” She asked looking around.

“Mom it’s draft night,” I interjected.

“And it’s a school night.”

“T.J. has friends downstairs,” I argued.

“Calm down, everyone is leaving.” My mom starts coordinating when the commissioner takes the stage with news of a trade.

“Shhhh,” I order.

My mom is just as interested in this draft as I am so she turns her attention to the holo. “The Ralltiir Starkillers trade their second round draft pick in 292 to the Bakura Miners in exchange for the nineteenth pick in this year’s Draft and next year’s third round selection.”

“Extra picks!” I can hear T.J. cheering down in the basement. My mom heads down to collect his friends. There’s a lot of groaning. I hear my mom complain about no one using coasters for their drinks and when no one moves she shuts off the holo down there. 8 grumpy teenagers come upstairs. Several go with my mom and others go home with Geoff. Cazz’s mom comes to pick him up. A few of T.J.’s friends walk home. T.J., Cambrielle and I are alone in the living room now. “So what do you think of the Ainik pick up?” T.J. asks.

“I think he’s going to have to work hard to replace Noah Till,” I answer. All of us are really going to miss Noah. He moved off planet with his wife and son shortly after retiring. I can’t blame him, it’s been rough for him living here after his uncle killed my uncle. He made his credits and he’s free to live anywhere he wants now. Where people accept him. Someday I hope to have that opportunity.

“He’s gonna be awesome,” T.J. says. “Dibs on the jerseys dad brings home.”

Just like T.J. to jump on a bandwagon and take the goods.

“Can somebody get me more water?” Cambrielle asks.

“Get it yourself,” T.J. quips.

I get up to help my sister. We don’t have droids. My parents want us to learn to get along in life without them. She’s still small and I know the pitcher that purifies the water is heavy. T.J. eats the cold leftover nachos while we wait for the Starkillers to make their second round pick.

Did I say there had been a run on defenders? Well that was an understatement. By the time the Starkillers pick came back around they were all gone. My mom rushed back in the house and sat down with us. "Going for that forward now right?" She asked no one in particular.

My Dad and Uncle Richard appeared at the podium again. My dad looked like a genius when he held up the jersey. Even though I knew it was my uncle that was the real genius, in school tomorrow I would give all credit to my father. That way I looked like I came from good stock. "Gil Cray come on down you are the next draft pick of the Ralltiir Starkillers," my father said quoting a popular Corellian game show. On the couch we all laughed, my dad's antics never got old.

Tag: @Bardan_Jusik

2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    The Draft

"With the 12th overall pick in the 291 ELL first year player draft, the Mando'ade Mercs select, Spern Brier, corner forward from Republican University." It was no secret that the Mercs were in need of a corner forward, and their research had shown them that the little Amaran was perfect for their needs. After all, any being that had nicknamed itself "Rocket" as they had been told in private interviews with the ornery player, was going to fit right in on the Mercs.

"The Bakura Miners are again on the clock."

TAG: @Trieste, we have to get Brier and Horst together sometime. :p

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    IC

"With the thirteenth selection in the 291 ELL Draft, the Bakura Miners select..." Quinn Cundertol paused, heightening the tension.

"...Dun Canterwal, Midfielder, University of Dantooine," he finished.

"The Rydonni Prime Monarchs are now on the clock."

TAG: @SWNerd11

4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

"With the fourteenth selection in the 291 Draft, the Rydonni Prime Monarchs select Lann Bluer, Forward, University of Coruscant," Lokensgaard announced. "The Carratos Pirates are on the clock."

TAG: @galactic-vagabond422--why do I sense off-the-board picks coming?

5. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Logan Manx
    The Draft Hall

And in a flash we are back on the clock. All the forwards had been taken off the board and same with the defenders. All that was left were Midfielders, and Goalies. Thankfully we don't have much to worry about on that front. Qazi has been standing strong between the pipes since before we even made it to the ELL. Hasn't taken a sick day hasn't been injured and only been subbed out once. His moniker of 'Iron Minder' is well deserved. Besides we have Borne to back him up, though there is a worry that if we did put him in he'd be so rusty that he'd be nearly useless. I'm not worried though, Qazi is as tough as they come, he's gotten us this far, he'll get us a little further.

That just left us with one position to fill, back up midfielder. Dragonblaster had been holding that position for six years now but, they still bicker and fight like they were still kids. Thankfully Erza is there to keep them in line. They tore up the field and were good at their jobs but, always good to have a full backup squad, ready to go. Though I am worried that we don't have a deep bench...maybe it was time to call up some players from the Bandits, they've been quietly rising up in the FLL going to the finals the past 2 years.

However Schnitt had always said that things were complicated with Atzerri.

Anyway, we have two choices for Midfielder, Eve Kunets and Rel Lathin, Eve is from UTA, seen by some as a feeder to the Starkillers, which isn't too far from the truth, Rel is from Corellia. Both are a solid choice but, there is very little to differentiate between them other than one is a twi'lek and the other is a human.

"Well we can send Kunets to Atzerri if we need to." Both myself and Boutros look up. Yeah, the pachyderm in the room. Atzerri had developed a reputation for being Anti-Human. Their fan chants, the objects thrown onto the field at games against human players. It is no secret that the planet is not welcoming to those of my kind. They say humans have everything else in the galaxy but, they aren't getting Atzerri. Those that complain get shouted by the history of the Empire, the Human first attitude that washed over the galaxy. Then there is the 'Stop whining' camp. They are just one planet that is unfriendly to humans. There are thousands of others they could go to. It isn't exactly persuasive but, bigotry rarely is. It is one of the reasons we couldn't send anyone there, they have to be non-human or they are in for a world of hurt. I have asked why we kept them on even with all the controversy. Schnitt just shrugged his shoulders.

"It is out of my hands." was all he said.

I give my head a shake,

"Well if that is the only thing that pushes us one way we might as well, Kunets is higher rated so it is more than just her species."

Boutros puts up her hands not contesting. Given the Midfielder's role of being the go between of offense and defense she has some say here but, chose not to.

It isn't right the reasons we made this choice but, we do it anyway. It is entirely possible that we aren't sending anyone to Atzerri so in the end the reasons are little more than a tie breaker.

Still doesn't make me feel ok about it.

"With the fifteenth pick in the 291 Draft, the Carratos Pirates select Eve Kunets Midfielder, University of Tatooine Anchorhead." Schnitt calls out, there are a few surprised faces with a small number of player left some might have expected us to go off board, something the Pirates had a penchant for. Not this time unfortunately, we are doing a draft like one is supposed to do. When does doing what is expected become unexpected?

A question for the ages.

As the greenskinned twi'lek came to the stage the GM hands over the jersey smiling for the cameras.

That was it, our draft was over...time to get ready for the season proper, time for 'Winter' training.

"The Courscant Senators are on the clock."

TAG: @Jedi Gunny

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Approved

(You’ll get it in a second...)

Name: Bess
    Species: Porg (officially), unknown (unofficially)
    Birth year: Unknown
    Appearance: 1.88 meters tall; .711 meters wide; disproportionately large eyes; orange, gray, and white plush fur exterior; wings with fingers and thumbs; yellow legs with webbed feet; Bakura Miners jersey; no pants
    Homeworld: Bakura
    Relation to Team: Mascot
    Brief biography: Bess never misses a Miners home game. Ever. It is Bess’s privilege to be the official mascot for the team. Often found in wet, rocky places, porgs have a natural home on Bakura, making them an excellent mascot for the local limmie team. When not at the stadium rooting the team on and rousing the fans to do the same, Bess supports a number of charities and causes across the planet through appearances and fundraising. It is Bess’s mission to do what she can to rally the Miners to a Galactic Cup championship this year.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Dirxx Horstse

The Draft had come to the point where most of the players on the board had already been taken. The Senators had no need for a midfielder, not when they had a solid core already and had an option in Helen Brody down on Thyferra whom had been on a slow burn in regards to a Senators roster spot for the better part of six years. So Lathin was not an option for the team.

No, there was another player in mind. They had something interesting qualities, including believing themselves to be ‘invisible’ even though they really weren’t. It had actually happened while watching a practice, and while it had amused no one, the tape certainly did. That was typically enough at this point to take a flier and see what happened.

“ . . . the Coruscant Senators select Drackxis Deztroi , Defensive Back from the University of Coruscant.”

Local product, lot of hard hits, perhaps a bit of brains on the side. All in all, a perfect choice for the pick, though the personality was . . . well, weird. Especially around nuts.

But what was one to expect at this point anyways?

TAG: @Runjedirun

OOC: It was the only way forward. :D

Bardan_Jusik and Trieste like this.
  8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 2 Draft Day Cont.

“Cammie and Rah Rah, put your pajamas on,” my mom says. Ruining our family moment. Can’t we just stay up late? One night of the year?

“Seriously?” I ask. “What about T.J.?” Sometimes it feels like I’m going to be a little kid forever. Meanwhile, T.J. is getting treated more and more like an adult every day.

“Go change into your pajamas, brush your teeth and rejoin us. Or go to your room and stay there,” my mom offers.

I mosey upstairs. I don’t complain because my mom is annoyingly good at following through with her threats. When I get back downstairs another forward is gone. Then the Miners steal the Helmsman winner. I can’t understand why my uncle and father accepted that final pick. It’s going to be a keeper. We don’t need a keeper. Our final two picks could end up being keepers if Coruscant takes the final mid fielder. This is absolutely the most frustrating thing to watch. Maybe I should have argued with my mom and spent the rest of the draft in my room. Found out the bad news in the morning.

I’m mad my mom made me change into my pj’s, so I sit in an armchair with my arms crossed by myself. I notice out of the corner of my eye that Cammie put her head down on my mother’s lap and fell asleep. Finally it’s time for the Starkillers to make another pick. The Senators didn't chose Rel Lathin so it's a given. "A Corellian!" My brother causes Cammie to stir in her sleep and my mother shoots him a look. "What she's Corellian like us and she's hot."

"We're only half Corellian," I remind my brother.

"Not tonight," my mom says in her sternest warning tone. I've stuck it out this long, so I shut my mouth and recross my arms. Determined to find out what we'd do after the Mercs either snubbed another keeper or became the first team to pick one.

Tag: @Bardan_Jusik

Trieste likes this.
  9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    The Draft

"With the 18th pick of the 291 ELL first year player draft the Mando'ade Mercs select...Grute, half forward from the Wookiee Forest Institute." It was a virtually unknown name, but the Mercs were taking a flyer and going off board to take the third string back whose species couldn't really be verified. What they were banking on was that while no one knew the name of Grute now, soon it would be on the lips of fans everywhere.

[​IMG]

"The Ralltiir Starkillers are back on the clock."

TAG: @Runjedirun

10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 2 Draft Day The Finale

My Dad and Uncle Richard return to the stage for the fourth and final time. Are we going to take a keeper? "With the final pick of the 291 draft the Ralltiir Starkillers choose," my Uncle Richard announces.

My dad playfully pushes my uncle aside, "Miles Allin."

None of us can believe it. My Dad just drafted his younger cousin. Miles is playing Limmie for a community college on Corellia. He's a half back. Taller and bigger in size than my father. Most teams probably never heard of him. I thought he was going to finish school. Last time we talked he was studying to be a nurse. No scouts were coming to his games. "Did you know about this mom?" I ask accusingly.

"I knew your father called family on Corellia last week," she shrugs. "I didn't put the pieces together." She's shocked too. "T.J. carry your sister to bed," she says as she turns off the holo.

I watch my brother struggle to pick up my sister and for a minute I'm glad I'm not the older brother. I follow my siblings upstairs. When I get to my room I pull up some family holos. "Welcome to Ralltiir," I say out loud as I stare at one of us on the beach last summer. I try to imagine more of my Corellian family living on Ralltiir, but I can't. He'll probably play for the Sandskimmers anyway.

Tag: None Draft is OVER

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Jedi Gunny like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Beks Bloom (Human [Bakuran], Female, Forward, Mando'ade Mercs) signs with Ralltiir Starkillers
    • ELL announces 292 regular season schedule, highlighted by Week 1 Officers home game against Monarchs with anticipated Galactic Cup celebrations
    Week 1
    Carratos Pirates at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Chandrila Patriots at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Mando’ade Mercs at Stewjon Metropolitans
    Coruscant Senators at Bakura Miners
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Euceron Officers

Week 2
    Mando’ade Mercs at Chandrila Patriots
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Stewjon Metropolitans
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Bakura Miners
    Coruscant Senators at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Carratos Pirates at Euceron Officers

Week 3
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Euceron Officers
    Bakura Miners at Chandrila Patriots
    Mando’ade Mercs at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Coruscant Senators at Carratos Pirates

Week 4
    Chandrila Patriots at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Euceron Officers at Mando’ade Mercs
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Coruscant Senators
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Bakura Miners
    Carratos Pirates at Stewjon Metropolitans

Week 5
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Chandrila Patriots at Coruscant Senators
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Mando’ade Mercs
    Bakura Miners at Euceron Officers
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Carratos Pirates

Week 6
    Euceron Officers at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Mando’ade Mercs at Bakura Miners
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Coruscant Senators
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
    Carratos Pirates at Chandrila Patriots

Week 7
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    Euceron Officers at Stewjon Metropolitans
    Bakura Miners at Carratos Pirates
    Coruscant Senators at Mando’ade Mercs
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Chandrila Patriots

Week 8
    Euceron Officers at Chandrila Patriots
    Bakura Miners at Stewjon Metropolitans
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators
    Mando’ade Mercs at Carratos Pirates

Week 9
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Chandrila Patriots
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Mando’ade Mercs
    Bakura Miners at Ralltiir Starkillers
    Euceron Officers at Coruscant Senators
    Carratos Pirates at Rydonni Prime Monarchs

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Talks between Burrnsbacca (Wookiee, Male, Midfielder) and Bakura Miners break down
    • Sources say that the selection of Canterwal gave the Miners leverage to negotiate a lower salary and Burrnsbacca called their bluff
    • Burrnsbacca comes off a career season playing with Kyr Irvin where the pair posted the best point differential in the League
    • HSN analyst: "If I were the Miners, I would have resigned Burrnsbacca just so he doesn't play against them. You don't want to make a Wookiee mad, and Burrnsbacca is piping hot that the Miners wouldn't pay him what he felt he was worth"
    TAG: Anyone looking for a midfielder who wants to stick it to the Miners :p

Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Scott "Brick Wall" Sterling (Human, Male, Goalkeeper) signs with Mando'ade Mercs
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Bess
    Draft Hall

Bess the Porg tottered down the concourse of the draft venue, her movement a very un-porg like walk. After all, she wasn’t a real porg (who, from everything Bess had seen, actually flew more than they walked), which explained why her wings ended in hands that she could use to sign autographs or drape around beings for holos, as she did when Miner fans ran up to her. This year the Miners had decided to send their mascot to the Draft.

In fact, there had even been talk that she would make the picks. That might have been tricky because, officially, Bess didn’t have a voice. The most she did was porg-like shrieks and burbles courtesy of a voice modulator. The kids especially loved that, probably more so than if they’d been able to have a real conversation with her. Bess had thought that idea was hilarious and was game for it, but ultimately Quinn Cundertol decided to be Mr. Drama King (like usual) and make the picks. He’d made every draft pick in Miners history and it looked like they were going to pry that privilege from his cold dead hands.

However, the team had decided to have Bess come too for the photo ops and to generate fun for the fans who traveled to the Draft.

So it was that Bess stood in the wings as Cundertol announced the Miners selected Jolzid to fill their defensive opening. This year’s top talent in the Draft was pretty thin. It probably hurt to have to go that deep in the defensive ranks with their first round pick...but that was the price of going to the Final. The Miners didn’t even have the consolation of picking second-to-last since Euceron had smugly skipped the Draft, cavalierly saying that “it ain’t broke, so we won’t fix it.” All the downsides of winning the Cup with none of the benefits for the Miners. Bess was pretty sure no one was going to cry a river for the team from Bakura.

Bess stood behind Cundertol and Jolzid as the GM presented the rookie with his jersey, flapping her arms and trilling, holobombing the moment. She carefully walked away behind Cundertol’s back so he didn’t know what had happened.

Backstage as Jolzid did his first interviews as a Miner, Bess clowned around with him for the obligatory holo shots for the team. They were an odd pair--one completely hairless and the other brimming with feathery fur. Jolzid took it in stride, likely just happy to have been drafted like he’d no doubt dreamed of.

When the news of the trade came down, Bess was with some fans between rounds and there was general excitement over the trade. The Miners were looking okay this season on contracts, so prioritizing the future seemed like a smart move. Besides, what good was the last pick of the Draft to them this year? A second round pick next year could be valuable, depending on how the Starkillers finished.

The biggest surprise, however, was picking up Dun Canterwal at the end of the second round. Best Midfielder in the GCAA? Check. Helmsman winner? Check. A youthful presence to be mentored and paired with Kyr Irvin? Double check. Bess had fun doing the Helsman pose next to Canterwal as he did the same. This probably meant that the Miners weren’t going to keep Burrnsbacca, which was a shame because the Wookiee was a great being to have on the team and the locker room, a real fan favorite. But that was limmie for you.

Draft Day was long, but that was the life of Bess. It was only going to go into hyperdrive from here.

TAG: @jcgoble3 @Runjedirun

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Vehn like this.
  15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

IC: Rosa Ruth

There's one change in teams to represent the LFL this season. In 291 the Rydonni Prime Monarchs have decided to relocate their LFL franchise to Cantonica. Welcome to the LFL Canonica! The franchise name Golden Knights stays intact. As usual our season will begin on week 2 of the ELL schedule. Without further ado, I give you the 291 LFL schedule:

Week 1
    Thyferra Force @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Cantonica Golden Knights @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Concordia Crusaders @ Atzerri Bandits

Week 2
    Thyferra Force @ Concordia Crusaders
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Cantonica Golden Knights
    Atzerri Bandits @ Druckenwell Marksmen

Week 3
    Thyferra Force @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Concordia Crusaders @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Cantonica Golden Knights @ Atzerri Bandits

Week 4
    Atzerri Bandits @ Concordia Crusaders
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Cantonica Golden Knights
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Thyferra Force

Week 5
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Thyferra Force
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Concordia Crusaders
    Atzerri Bandits @ Cantonica Golden Knights

Week 6
    Concordia Crusaders @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Atzerri Bandits
    Thyferra Force @ Cantonica Golden Knights

Week 7
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Cantonica Golden Knights @ Concordia Crusaders
    Atzerri Bandits @ Thyferra Force

Week 8
    Concordia Crusaders @ Thyferra Force
    Cantonica Golden Knights @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Atzerri Bandits

Tags @galactic-vagabond422 @Jedi Gunny @SWNerd11 @Bardan_Jusik @Vehn

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Trieste likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"It's that time of year folks, the time where college's across the galaxy are getting set for the next season, and that means pollsters coming out with their rankings. The most important of all of course, the HSN Top 25 just came out yesterday, so let's dive right in."

"Royal College of Hapes come sin at the early favorite, they're ranked number one overall."

"No way they keep that ranking, way too high, way way too high." Justin sounded adamant.

"Why do you say that?"

"Whole team full of women? No way they can compete with all male or even co-ed teams, not for an entire season."

"Strong words Justin, women have been playing pro and amateur bolo ball besides their male counterparts for a long time, a long time." Liz sounded less than pleased.

"And I have no doubt that some of them were better than some men, but an entire team? No way."

Randy meanwhile was trying to keep the peace on set. "Time will tell."

"So, back to the rankings." Kitterich sounded annoyed. "VCU comes in at Number two overall while the StarBucks of tOSU are going to be riding the coat tails of their fantastic star forward Jet Barrett all seaosn and ride them here in the pre season to a number three rank."

"Jet lives up to his name, he is fast and comes in screaming low. The man's a beast, a shoe in for the Helmsmen."

"UTA and last year's champion, Cloud City round out your top five."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Pre-Season Top 25

1. Royal College of Hapes
    2. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    3. The Ord Sabaok University
    4. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    5. Cloud City University, Bespin
    6. Grand Vulptur System University
    7. Taanab A&M University
    8. University of Shili
    9. Druckenwell Technical University
    10. Enarc Technical University
    11. University of Thyferra
    12. University of Csilla
    13. Republican University
    14. UB Salis D'aar
    15. Cinnagar Imperial College
    16. University of Ool
    17. College of Fondordelphia
    18. Ralltiir University
    19. University of Kamino
    20. Tiarest University
    21. Chiss Ascendancy University, Pesfavri
    22. Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore)
    23. Sarvchi Technological University
    24. Catlia Polytechnic University
    25. University of Wroona

Vehn, Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Kerry Trieste on HSN preseason rankings and the highest-ranked Bak10 team coming in at #14: "Oh Force. Not again."
    • Trieste also asked about recent comments on The Fandalorian about an all-female team being worse than an all-male or coed team: "Please. They did not go there."
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik--this is gonna be fun :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 3 Summer Break

School is out on break. I finished 5th grade and will start 6th grade when we go back. When school first lets out we always fly to Corellia and stay with family. This year is no exception. My father was a hero for drafting Miles. The first night we are there my dad asks if Miles would help him prepare T.J. for high school try-outs. The three of them arrange to fly to a field early the next morning. It gets to me that I am not invited so the next morning I set my alarm and wait in my Uncle’s driveway.

“Rah, Rah,” my dad says with surprise as he approaches the rental. “Why aren’t you in bed?”

“Thought you could use a keeper,” I say pulling my gloves out of my pocket.

My father reaches under his shirt to reveal a whistle around his neck. He unlocks the speeder doors, “In that case,” my father says with a sly grin. My Dad blows his whistle. Loud enough to wake up everyone in the house behind us, “Get in the speeder,” he barks.

T.J. and Miles walk out half asleep less than a minute later. My dad leans out the window and blows his whistle again. “Pick up the pace,” he orders. “Hustle, hustle!” Miles actually jogs the last few steps to the speeder. T.J. can barely keep his eyes open, much less jog.

Once we are all strapped in my father tosses us energy bars. I notice the label says they have caffeine. I have never been allowed to eat one of these before so I excitedly unwrap it and bite in. I try not to make a face. The bar might have caffeine, but it definitely does not have sugar.

By the time we get to the field T.J and Miles are more awake. My dad parks the speeder with the whistle between his teeth when the doors automatically unlock he give it a fierce blow. “Four times around the track,” he orders. “Let’s go, let’s go.”

I follow Miles and my brother out of the speeder. We have to run a short way to get to the track. My father, he runs with us. “Pick up the pace,” he barks in Miles’ ear.

Miles takes off around the track, T.J. tries to keep up and I’m left in the dust. My dad runs out into the middle of the track, observes a minute then runs to meet T.J. “You gonna let your old man beat you?” My father asks. As far as I can tell T.J. makes an effort to run faster, but my father is able to keep pace.

Miles nearly laps me, my brother and father finish a half a lap ahead. I’m breathing heavy and trying not to show it. I keep my form and sprint to the finish. “Not bad Rah Rah,” my father compliments. “Now why don’t you go back to the speeder and bring us the equipment,” he tosses me the remote for the speeder.

I start walking and that damn whistle screeches, “Rah, Rah pick up the pace!”

I jog, but the equipment is heavy so I walk back. “Took you long enough,” my father says. Then he pulls me aside. “Look I’m trying to get your brother ready for try-outs. I’m impressed you’re here. Impressed you got up. I’m not going easy on you,” he warns.

For a long time we do really weird conditioning exercises and core work. I don’t remember my father’s playing days. I was 2 when he retired. I can’t really say if he was a good player. I do know that he’s a god coach. He puts so much detail into the smallest things. I think we spent an hour doing core exercises. My favorite was getting down on all fours. On my hands and knees and my father put a tissue box on my back. I had to balance it while alternating lifting the opposite hand and leg. This might sound easy, but you lean over the slightest bit and the tissue box falls. I liked it because it was way more challenging than it looked. I vowed to break my record of 20. I wanted to be able to do 100. My father could do 100.

Finally I got some time in the goal box. I had chosen my outfit carefully the night before. Blue warm up pants with a green stripe and an aqua colored shirt with the same shade of green around the collar and sleeves. I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t chose to be a keeper because I liked picking my own outfit. 14 players wear matching uniforms, keepers get to wear whatever they want. I like shopping and being a keeper means I have an entire side of my closet dedicated to keeper shirts and bottoms.

Keeper gloves are another awesome accessory no one else on the field understands. They get dirty quick diving for balls. I like to clean mine after games or practices. On sunny days I wear white gloves. At the beginning of a game or the half they are so white that I use them to reflect sunlight and blind offensive players. If it’s a rainy day I wear blue-grey gloves that match the sky. An offensive player may never even see the object that blocked their shot. I like that.

Today it’s sunny and cool on Corellia. I have my whitest white gloves on. T.J. is poised to dribble around Miles who has been instructed to “Show him no mercy,” and shoot the ball into the goal. Miles easily takes T.J. to the ground before he can shoot 3 times in a row. “This isn’t fair,” T.J. complains. “He’s bigger than me.”

My father blows his whistle. “10 push-ups, Junior!” He roars.

“What for?” My brother asks at a loss.

“Complaining. Make it 15,” my dad blows his whistle again.

My brother does 15 push-ups.

“Get up,” my dad orders blowing his whistle again. “You want to try out for High School Limmie next month? You are a freshman. You will be the smallest kid out there. This is how you get ready. No more complaining. Understand?”

My brother just stands there looking bewildered.

“The answer is Yes, Coach.” My dad says proudly.

“Yes, Coach.” My brother repeats.

He dribbles the ball between his legs a few times than before my dad blows the whistle for him to start his attack T.J. runs forward and blows a ball by me scoring a goal.

“Wake up, Rah Rah,” my dad says with a chuckle.

I collect the ball and toss it back out to T.J. We go again, this time at the whistle. My brother gets another shot off. I dive and block it. In the process my gloves get dirty. So after collecting the ball I spit into them and rub my hands together. “What the F are you doing Rah Rah?” My dad asks. He doesn’t say F he says the full blown curse word. I can’t answer that I’m cleaning my gloves. He’s going to think that’s ridiculous. “Put those gloves back in the dirt,” my dad orders. He blows his whistle, “Ten push-ups.”

It’s hard, but when I stand back up from the push-ups I don’t brush off the dust. My dad blows his whistle again and I nearly jump out of my skin. He’s not whistling for us to do another drill. “Let’s take 15,” he orders. My dad points at the cooler of drinks and snacks. Before I can head in the direction of the refreshments he puts his arm around my shoulder. “Rah Rah, you’re going to get dirty when you play Limmie. You do know that, right?”

I nod my head.

“Are you sure you want to play Limmie? No one’s forcing you,” he reminds me.

“I’m sure,” I say ducking from under his arm and running to make sure I can grab a snack. People often ask me what it’s like to have a dad that’s a coach in the ELL. I don’t know, because I’ve never had a dad that wasn’t an ELL coach. I wonder though, if your dad is a scientist and you study science does your dad continually check on you to make sure you want to be a scientist?

Tag: none

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Trieste likes this.
  19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Midfielder Burrnsbacca (Wookiee, Male) reunites with old teammate Jolla Pic, signs with Mercs
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik

Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  20. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm Taungsday afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Limmie season is creeping closer and man I can't wait."

"Me either, me either, especially with the news today that the Mercs have come to terms with former Miners star midfielder Burrnsbacca reuniting the super tandem of Burrnsbacca and Jolla Pic who terrorized the Solo together and helped make their team a perennial title contender."

"Reunited and it feels so good..." Liz began to sing for some reason.

"It's a great signing for the Mercs, and even though pic is a few years removed from her dominance, you know Burrnsbacca is going to be playing with an enormous chip on his broad hairy shoulders. It's an..."

"Reunited 'cause we understood..."

"... improvement on their midfield that's for sure, which will now see Harkash Giles moved into a backup role in his free agent year."

"There's one perfect fit..."

"Yeah, less than optimal for him, but the GM can't worry about that, have to keep the interests of the team ahead of the personal interests of the players.

"I can tell you though, this won't sit well with Giles and may affect the Mercs ability to retain him after this season."

"And sugar this one is it..."

"Don't forget that the Mercs had to let go of the their Chiss middie, Ach'utesn'laders, in order to make room for Burrnsbacca."

"Yeah, both their back up midfielders were free agents, and with the signing the Mercs really only had enough room to keep one of them. They elected to keep Pahre which will allow Ach'utesn'laders, to explore other opportunities, but I have to think those will be few and far between for him at the ELL level."

"We both are so excited cause we're reunited...hey hey"

"Tough luck for him, I really liked him so hopefully he gets a look somewhere."

"Hopefully."

"We've also got some other new faces to the Mercs, aside from the draft picks we've already talked so much about."

"Yeah, Mercs had a tough time in free agency up until the Burrnsbacca signing, and lost a few free agents. And that to the retirements they also had and it left more than a few holes on the roster. Luckily though reinforcements have arrived from Concordia in the form of Colby Donsun..."

"He has such a nice smile."

"...who will start at Center half forward..."

"Big responsibility to be giving to a rookie."

"I think he can handle it."

"They have also promoted Krabbas..."

"Crab ass.." Justin chuckled.

"...the Rodian cornerback to handle the backup duties there."

"That gives the Mercs five rookies on the ELL roster, so it will be interesting to see how they respond to playing at the ELL level this season."

"Especially for a team with post season aspirations."

TAG: no one. Let's get this season started!

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Chapter 4 Back Home

We get back home to Ralltiir a few weeks before school goes back. Just in time for training camp. Miles, as I suspected didn’t come back with us to Ralltiir. He’s moved to Tatooine. My dad told him to impress him and hoped they’d be reunited soon. I don’t know why, probably because I’m used to getting up early for all those practices my dad, brother and Miles had on Corellia I’m up early. I sit at the table spreading a thick layer of nut butter on a piece of bread when my dad comes down the stairs. He’s got his whistle around his neck and you know he’s ready for camp. There’s just one problem. He’s wearing shorts.

“Dad you can’t wear shorts!” I tell him.

“Why not,” he says. “It’s hot out.”

“Dad your legs are blinding me,” I say shading my eyes. It’s true. The few days we spent at the beach did nothing for my dad’s pale skin.

“Rah Rah, I don’t need fashion advice. I look good,” my dad says tossing his hair over his shoulder.

I decide to move on to more important matters. “Can I come with you to camp today?” I ask.

“It’s not a good idea,” my dad says in an apologetic tone.

“Why not?” I want to know.

“You’ll keep track of every curse word I say,” my father explains. “I can’t afford that,” he says pointing at the jar of credits on the counter. The jar was my mother’s idea. Every time one of us curses we have to put a credit in it. At the end of each month or whenever the jar gets full we donate the funds to the local food bank. “Besides who’s gonna help your mother with the shopping?”

I lower my head, not consciously it’s just frustrating that my dad doesn’t want me to hang out with him.

“Rah, Rah,” he says gently reaching out across the table to touch my hand.

I pull my hand away. “Don’t call me that!” I say agitated.

“I always call you that,” my father says defensively. Before I can speak he goes on. “Do any father’s you know let their kids tag along to work with them everyday?”

I hate it when my father’s right. It’s just that T.J. will be at Limmie try-outs for high school and my mom will dote on Cambrielle all day. There’s going to be nothing to do all day. I wish the string that held the whistle around my father’s neck was made of less sturdy material. I want to rip it off. I want to smash the whistle to bits under my shoe. All summer I let him order me around and now I ask one favor and he doesn’t even consider letting me tag along to training camp. I do the only thing I can do, I push my chair back, get up and run up the stairs to my room. I slam the door extra hard.

There’s no knock. I do hear my dad’s speeder roar out of the driveway several minutes later. It’s an hour before T.J. gets up and he only gets up because he has those try-outs. I know I can’t go with him. I do come back out of my room and discover that my bread and nut butter are still untouched on the kitchen table. So I have breakfast with my brother. We use my mom’s caf machine to make what we think is really strong caf. I add nut milk and sugar to flavor mine. T.J. uses about half a cup of my mom’s sugar free creamers. By the time I finish my breakfast my leg is shaking underneath the table.

We hear a speeder horn, “That’s my ride,” T.J. says jumping up. He’s shaking too and he grabs his bag. He smiles big and waves. I’m pretty sure he is nervous.

“Good Luck!” I call as he leaves the house. Now that I’m alone for a while I pull up some old law cases that my Uncle Richard passed on to me. I’m not sure if I want to be a lawyer, or even if I’m going to study the law. I do know that reading about everything from Acquittals to Warrants helps me concentrate on learning and forget what I’m actually upset about.

It’s lunch time when my mother and sister come downstairs. They’re dressed and ready to go out. “Coming shopping with us?” My mom asks. She runs her fingers across the top of my head. “You want me to fix this?” She asks referring to my braids.

“Maybe later,” I shrug. “What kind of shopping?”

“Groceries, accessories, clothes, whatever we want to shop for,” my mom says with a carefree look on her face.

“Can we get lunch out?” I ask.

“We can have lunch wherever you want,” my mom answers. I’m sold so I run upstairs for a nice pair of shoes. Our house is in a nice district of the city only a block away from nice shops and restaurants. So my mom, my sister and I walk around the block to a café and get a table on the patio. After lunch we stroll through the aisles of a local grocer and set the food to be delivered to our house that evening. Later we walk through some boutiques. I see a lot of things I want, but none of us buy anything. I think this is just a trip to get out of the house.

When we get home T.J. is freshly showered. His wet hair dripping on the floor where he stands in front of the pantry. “There’s no food in this house,” he complains.

“Nice to see you too,” my mom says kissing his cheek. “We went shopping the food will be here in an hour.”

“I’m hungry now.”

“How were your Limmie try-outs?”

“No one half as hard as Miles defending me. No coach blowing his whistle every 30 seconds." T.J. pauses to look at me, "No little brother blocking my shots on goal. Good," he summarizes.

“No injuries?” My mom asks.

“No injuries.” My brother says.

Dinner is done, the sun is down and I’ve dozed off a few times before I hear my dad come home. He runs upstairs and paces outside my door for a minute, “Rah Rah, you awake?” He says quietly.

Either he wants to yell at me for running off on him or he want to apologize. I can’t take the suspense until morning. So I get up and crack open the door, “I’m awake.”

“Good,” he sighs. He pulls me in for a hug. I let him hold me a minute. We go in my room and sit on my bed. “Look. I can’t tell you how much I want to spend every minute of every day with you. I make every effort I can. It’s just that right now I owe my time to the beings who signed up to play ball for the Starkillers. I owe it to this family to prove I’m the best coach out there. If you are at camp I’ll be watching you. Not my players. I’m being paid to coach them. My full attention has to be on their efforts. You understand that, right?”

I nod.

He puts two fingers under my chin and raises my head forcing me to look into his eyes. I know this is the part where I get yelled at. “You get up and walk out on me when we are having a conversation again and I’ll take you out back.” He looks at me sternly, quietly removes his fingers gets up and leaves my room. Closing the door gently behind him.

When my father says he’ll “take me out back”. He does not mean he’s going to beat me. I had to explain this to E.Z. once. Rain, shine or freezing cold my father will sometimes have us perform exercises in the backyard as punishment.

I get up after my dad leaves the next morning. I had trouble falling asleep after our "talk". I don’t see my father all day and that night I fall asleep before he comes home. The next morning I’m scrummaging through the pantry when I hear someone come up behind me, “Why don’t we go out for breakfast?” It’s my father.

“Really?” I ask.

“Sure,” he shrugs. “Where you want to go?”

“Don’t you have camp? Besides it will be hours before mom gets up and I’m hungry now.”

“We have today off,” my dad explains. “You can’t play tackle Limmie every day, the body can only handle so much. Just you and me,” he adds.

So I chose a place far enough away that we get to ride in his speeder. We take the top down and watch the sunrise. After breakfast we go watch T.J.’s tryouts. “He’s gonna make varsity,” my dad says proudly. Later my dad takes me to sign up for flag Limmie. He makes sure I’m on a good team in a good league and when he drops me at home he picks up my sister for a little “father daughter time.”

My mom starts rehearsals for a new show that’s going to open in a month. Geoff finally comes back from visiting his family in Corellia and immediately starts chauffeuring us kids around to our activities. “I don’t recall signing on to be a damn soccer mom,” he complains one morning.

“What’s a soccer mom?” I ask.

“Eat your breakfast,” he barks back.

I like having Geoff back. He doesn’t just take me to practice. He takes me to see my friends too. It’s nice to reconnect with E.Z., Cazz and Siiri before we go back to school. I also find out that my dad arranged for Cazz to be on my flag Limmie team. Cazz plays half back. As promised my dad carves out time for us as much as he can. He eats dinner with us, or breakfast a few nights a week. When T.J. makes first cuts we all go out for ice cream. When he makes second string Varsity he grills nerf burgers in the back yard.

My flag Limmie team has their first game the next day. My dad goes to Coach the Starkillers before I even wake up. He’s set the roster now and the first game against the Patriots is only a week and a half away. I’m really nervous about my game. I’m in a new age group and the ball's moving faster. Tending goal is a lot of responsibility. To be ready I pick out my clothes the night before. The morning of the game I wash my cleats and leave them on the back deck to dry in the sun. Of course clouds roll in minutes later and my cleats are still damp when it’s time to leave for the game.

Geoff saves the day by having me find one of mom’s hair dryers. Now that I know it’s going to be cloudy I grab a pair of grey gloves and we pile in the speeder to get this experience over with.

Finally the game begins. My team kinda sucks at first. I save three balls in 5 minutes. Lots of cheering is coming from the parents on our bench. This is where the nickname gets really corny, “Rah, Rah,” they all cheer. Finally one of our forwards gets a shot on goal; that misses wide left. The ball comes downfield fast. Our fullback misses the flag. The ball comes at the goal again. I run for it, try to bat it, but it hits my fingertips and keeps going right into the net.

I take a breath as I retrieve the ball. As a keeper you cannot show emotion. “Way to get a piece of it,” a familiar male voice calls. It’s my dad. I didn’t even know he knew I had a game today. Knowing he came eases my nerves. The other team doesn’t score again until the second half and I’m on the bench when that happens. My mom shows up too, she and Cambrielle do each other’s nails on a blanket. Even if they aren’t watching the game, it’s nice to have their support.

After the game my father tells me he’s never seen a keeper as good as me before. I know he’s exaggerating. He has to say that, cause he’s my dad. Still it’s the best thing I’ve heard all break.

Chapter 5 The Season Begins (part 1)

T.J.’s high school debut is less than 48 hours before the Starkillers opening game. Lucky for T.J. it’s a home game for the Starkillers. My dad is so nervous. He paces the bleachers when T.J. finally gets in the game. His team is losing by 15 points and the Coach only puts him in because he knows they aren’t going to win. My brother doesn’t let that stop him from a long drive up the field. He makes a nice pass too. No goal. Then when no one’s paying attention anymore cause there’s only a minute or so left, that’s when my brother makes his move and scores his first goal of his high school career. My dad jumps up and down making the whole set of bleachers sway. I hold on for dear life.

“You’ll get more minutes next week,” my dad says to my brother on the ride home. “You were incredible out there!” I guess we’ll have to wait and see on that one.

I spend the morning of opening day getting last minute stuff ready for school which starts tomorrow. T.J. makes me tend our small goal set up in the backyard so he can practice some shots after lunch until we leave for the game. We get there with little time to spare. My mom has access to all the special lanes so we just breeze to the VIP parking and get an escort to a private lift and my Uncle’s Box. As usual the whole family is there. All the good spots are taken, but I squeeze in next to my cousin Marty.

Ever wonder what it’s like in the owner’s box? It’s crowded and smelly. That’s what it’s like. All your relatives perspiring and so many different foods being passed around. Geoff and one of his neighbors get regular seats, despite my father telling him he’s welcome here anytime. I don’t blame him. My mom is having a conversation with Uncle Richard so I grab a fizz out of the ice box. I put my feet up on the rail and let out a loud burp. “Rah Rah is that fizz?” Quickly I guzzle down the rest before my mom can take away the can. Time for some Limmie!

Tag: None

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Coruscant Senators sign UDFA to training camp contracts.
      • Brooden Holtbee (Male, Mon Calmari, Goalkeeper, Ryloth Ag and Tech University)
      • Ali Millson (Human, Female, Goalkeeper, UB Salis D'aar)
    • Both players expected to compete for backup goaltender job behind incumbent Fam Keth along with Thyferra goalie Petra Bench.
    • Holtbee: "(sic) Thought I would be drafted, but I'm just glad to have a chance to play ball this season."
    • Millson: "Never thought I would play for the Senators coming from Bakura, but I guess you go where the team that wants you plays."
    • Senator GM Dirxx Horstse mum on reason behind signing Bakuran goalie from Trieste-favorite school other than "it was an excellent Limmie decision."
    • On Holtbee: "To be able to grab a Helmsman finalist in free agency is quite a steal. We hope he will demonstrate his skills in camp and see where he goes from there."
    TAG: @Jedi Gunny

Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
  23. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    Apartment, Shield Towers, O'Pahz, Carratos

"Logan," a soft familar voice speaks trying to wake me from my, well our bed. "Logan, you should get up." Her firm hand shakes my shoulder.

"Five more minutes." I mumble trying to just take things lazy. The season started in earnest in a few days, we wouldn't get many lazy days like this. I just wanted to sleep in one more time, 'Winter' training was over, the line up was set, pretty much the same as last year. Leigh was healthy again having recovered from her injury suffered last year. Cutty and Serica were firing on all cylinders Cutty diving into the back line right away, Serica backing her up cleaning up rebounds and providing an out. They were set for another season...would it be good, would it be like last season who knew. All I wanted to do was sleep in for a few more minutes...maybe an hour.

"I gave you ten, there's things to be done."

"What things?" I protest opening the shutter on my cybernetic eye to see Mikia looking down at me.

"We have to get groceries, trash bags, clean this place a bit." She looks around the room, it was in a bit of a state but, not the worst I've seen, but, I learned that when Mikia says the place needs to be picked up best not to argue. "Also someone forgot to do the dishes last night."

"Guilty, guilty." I hold up my hands thankful that we'd moved to a more accessible apartment soon after I took to the chair full time. Though it did mean I couldn't beg off doing household chores on the grounds that it was impossible for me to do them. Not that I wouldn't have tried. I may be hoverchair bound but, I'm not useless, just need a bit of help a now and again. "You're not going to move are you."

"No," My wife says with a smile, "But, if I move you're coming with me." I have no doubt that she could pick me up and take me wherever she wanted to take me. I wouldn't really try to fight it. Not that I could, I might have put on a little more muscle, at least on my upper body, but, I'm still no match for a Numifolis award winning defender.

"Alright, Alright I'll get up." I give in not that I had a chance anyway. Throwing off the covers and scoot over to my chair, my now constant companion for the nearly the past decade. It was fantastically comfortable, had to be really spending most of each and every day in it would be torture if it wasn't comfy. I can imagine how grumpy I would be if I was uncomfortable for most of the day. I don't think anyone wants that. Least of all me.

Rather than the lazy morning I had planned, it was spent washing the dishes which Mikia took pity and helped me with, picking up around the apartment and then going out to the shops to pick up groceries and other household needs.

It was fun being domestic for a little bit, though we were stopped several times for autographs, pictures and other fan activities. It is a curse being a local celebrity. It always takes two hours longer than you expect but, this is the trade I made. If I can't give the fans a Cup, I might as well give my time. It gets really awkward when 1 out of every 5 or so CDF soldiers stops to salute me. I learned pretty quickly how to properly return it even if it is the most awkward thing I do. Other than that I've grown accustomed to being the center of attention, or next to it in the case of my wife's fans. During an impromptu signing session my com buzzed. Answering it Schnitt spoke from the other end of the line.

"Logan, wondering if I could have a chat with you. Nothing major just want to see your vision for the coming season."

I roll my eyes slightly, right, my vision for the season, how about, not lose so many games? Make it to the playoffs this year?

"Sure I'll head right over." I look up to Mikia, "Alright if I bail, boss wants to talk about hopes and dreams."

A sweet chuckle leaves her throat.

"Sure, we got most of what we need." She leans down to give me a kiss on my forehead. "Have fun with Schnitt. Say hi to Syrnola for me."

"Will do." I give her a smile and begin making my way through the city.

It takes a bit longer than expected but, I make it to the 'front office' of the pirates based out of Arcadia Colosseum.

"Mikia says hi," I say to the twi'lek stationed outside the GM's office. She nods her head and opens the door. I enter hearing what sounds like a chant at a Limmie game.

"Scarface, Scarface,Scarface." the crowd chants. I get just a glimpes of the footage he is watching. It was a limmie game but, not any team I recognize. He seems focused on one particular player. The balosar looked up quickly turning off the small holoprojector.

"Scouting already?" I ask taking a place on the other side of him.

"Just keeping my eye on a prospect." He replies with a smile.

"Well, I hope they turn out good, could always use more good players."

"That we could." Schnitt says returning his focus to me. "How's our current team?"

I hum a little trying to find the right words. Sometimes it's hard to do, harder when I'm looking into the face of my boss and his eyes are expectant.

"We're good, mostly, Leigh is recovered, L.E.S is back on form providing a good backbone for our offense. Boutros has got the defense back into shape. It's a little too soon to tell but, I'd say we have a good shot, well, as good as any other year."

"And how are the rookies acclimating?"

My brow furrows a little. For the first time in a long time, we picked up no local Carratosians. It wasn't like we were 100% locals but, we were pretty close. The team did their best to be welcoming, to be friendly to 'outsiders' on a planet not too friendly to them. The other non-locals banded together, helping the new players adjust to their new surroundings.

"They're doing well, getting acclimated to the Carratosian way of doing things."

"That's good. I guess you've not read the sports news lately?"

"Not really, been busy trying to get out team up to scratch."

"Well, a lot of places are calling our draft a betrayal."

"Well, you know our fans, Carratos first. They'll warm up once the off-worlders prove themselves, they always do."

"The question is will they before there is a mass exodus."

"Well, they did well, not well enough to change the line up...yet but, I can try them out in the early games...but, I don't want a repeat of what happened to Gaius, the fans were nearly burning him in effigy after our poor start last year."

"It is a balancing act but, I trust you, have for the past seven years." We both laugh has it really been that long, are we that far removed from the occupation, from our last and only Galactic Cup win. After a few moments the room quiets. "So how do we look for this season."

"Too soon to tell, but, good or bad…"

"The fans will find something or someone else to blame other than you?"

"Yeah," I say with a heavy sigh.

"The curse of being the golden boy." Another chuckle from Schnitt one I don't share.

"Could you not." I'm getting sick of being the 'Golden Boy.'

TAG: No One

24. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"One week gone by and already drama in college limmie as StarBucks star forward Jet Barrett goes down with an injury early on in their match against Duro State who end up upsetting Ord Sabaok 24-12 in the season opener."

"Devastating loss for the Starbucks, they will miss the playoffs if he is out for the year."

"Never mind the playoffs, they might not finish in the top 25." Justin sounded competely dejected. "Man, talk about a lost season after just one game."

"Also in the top five, last season's title winners, Cloud City, also lost, though their game at least went to overtime. Not the way the defending champs wanted to come out of the gate."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Top 25 after Week One

1. Royal College of Hapes
    2. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    3. Grand Vulptur System University
    4. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    5. Taanab A&M University
    6. University of Shili
    7. Cloud City University, Bespin
    8. Druckenwell Technical University
    9. The Ord Sabaok University
    10. University of Csilla
    11. Enarc Technical University
    12. University of Thyferra
    13. University of Ool
    14. Cinnagar Imperial College
    15. Republican University
    16. College of Fondordelphia
    17. Ralltiir University
    18. UB Salis D'aar
    19. Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore)
    20. Tiarest University
    21. Chiss Ascendancy University, Pesfavri
    22. Sarvchi Technological University
    23. University of Wroona
    24. University of Kamino
    25. Duro State University

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    OOC: With the semester finally over, I can finally do something with this game. Better late than never, right? :p

IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Galactic Cup Final

The end was close, but the game was not over yet. The score was eight to three, Officers up by five. Two Miners goals would put them ahead, and the Miners knew it. The Miners had pulled several defenders and replaced them with offensive players, and the Officers answered with the opposite, though Tendra remained on the field.

The ball moved into her defensive zone, carried by the Miners. It was passed back and forth, but time was running out and the Miners had to make something happen soon. A risky pass was successful for the Miners in moving the ball forward one tier. Unfortunately for the Miners, the second such pass was not successful as Tendra leaped high to bat the ball down toward the Miners goal.

Tendra ran upfield after the ball and scooped it up in stride as it bounced up to her. There was no one between her and the Miners goalkeeper as she charged into the penalty box. Tendra kept it simple; she faked once, then twice to freeze the keeper and then deposited the ball in the back of the net for an eight-point lead with under a minute to go.

A game that had been within reach for the Miners was no longer so. They tried to advance upfield quickly, but each time an Officer could get a piece of the ball, it was cleared away. With ten seconds left, the Miners recognized that trying to win was now futile and stopped fighting. Gameplay more or less ceased as the final seconds counted off the clock. The ball found its way into Tendra's hands with two seconds to go.

And then the buzzer sounded, and a Galactic Cup had come home to Euceron at last.

Tendra turned to pile onto her teammates in celebration, only to be wrapped up from behind and lifted into the air. At first, she thought it was one of her teammates, but then she saw the yellow on the jersey sleeve. She whipped her head around to find Horst Penn of the Miners lifting her onto his shoulders. "What the kriff are you doing?!?!" Tendra yelled at the league idiot. She squirmed around and swung a fist through the air (she would later admit in the post-game press conference that she was trying to punch him in the face but missed). Horst began chanting "Officers win! Officers win!", and Tendra buried her face in her hand for a moment.

Meanwhile, the Officers had unpiled, and Tendra realized they had noticed Horst's actions and were laughing their heads off, so Tendra gave up and threw her hands up, shrugging her shoulders. (In that post-game press conference, Tendra would say, "Horst will be Horst. Ever heard of a village idiot? Well, Horst is the league idiot, and I think everyone loves him for it.")

Finally Horst put Tendra down, possibly because he was tired from running around the field carrying her weight, and the handshake line formed. Tendra took the captain's position at the end of the line and shook hands with everyone.

Goobal.

Garpet.

Burrnsbacca.

Kyr Irvin.

Harle Quinn.

Verral "Angel" Sorano.

Stephana Adiims.

Jangle.

Marteen Riggles.

Lappkani Wenner.

LouEl Calaran.

Marnie Blake, the keeper who had performed nicely tonight but couldn't overcome the lack of offense.

Jo Pawvelski, the assistant captain.

Quinn Cundertol, possibly the best general manager in the league, and a future Hall of Famer.

Jon Draper, the head coach who was a master of strategies that confounded opposing players, including Tendra.

Declan Trieste, the chairman, former owner, and Bakuran Minister of State.

Ayn Trieste, Declan's husband, the owner of the Miners, and Bakuran Prime Minister.

And Horst Penn, the captain for some strange reason that nobody outside of the Miners organization knew. Perhaps the Miners were just playing a giant joke on the league.

The next few moments were a whirlwind, as the stage was set up on the field and the Galactic Cup was brought out. Eventually the commissioner took the stage and called for attention.

"Well well well...what a game, what a game, what a game," Commissioner Lokensgaard told the crowd. Deputy Commissioner Wigast was nowhere in sight, so he was likely locked in a broom closet to prevent him from upstaging his boss. "Canto Bight, I'd say you threw one heck of a Final! I think we might be back here before long...

"Congratulations to our Commissioner Trophy winners on another exciting season. Let's give Bakura a hand for showing why they came home with the best overall record this season.

"But the stars today...oh my...the last team into the playoffs...with a losing record...have now become...the...Galactic...Cup...champions!" Lokensgaard cried.

"The Numifolis Award goes to the most valuable player of the Galactic Cup Playoffs. It is my pleasure award that to the top scorer of this year's playoffs: Tendra Nalo!" Lokensgaard announced.

Tendra accepted the trophy with a handshake and pumped it in the air with one hand briefly before returning her attention to the Commissioner. There was a more important trophy to get her hands on.

"Now, Tendra, don't go too far because we've got a little more business. Before we get to that, I'd like to take a moment to recognize Dr. Aebett Zargana, who has worked tirelessly to bring top flight limmie to Euceron. Leota Avoy, who built this team from the ground up with her. Melkin Tunran had a dream that there would be ELL limmie on Euceron again, in the wake of a terrible tragedy. The Officers are a testament to hope, perseverance, and resilience for not just their homeworld, but the entire galaxy. Now, Tendra Nalo, come receive the Galactic Cup of Limmie!"

Tendra didn't need to be told twice. She grabbed the Cup with both hands and raised it high over her head as the Euceron fans went nuts. After a few moments, she passed to another player, who celebrated with it and then passed it to another player, and so on until every player on the roster had had a chance to hold it.

Then the Cup entered the hands of Leota Avoy, who lifted it over her head and kissed it. Dr. Aebatt Zargana took it and staggered as the weight almost knocked the tiny woman down, but she, too, got it up in the air. And then Melkin Tunran was the final person to receive it, and rather than raise it up, he rested it on his shoulder and hugged it, tears of joy streaming down his face. Yes, real men were allowed to cry.

The celebration went long into the night. I can't tell you specifics, because what happens in Canto Bight stays in Canto Bight. But it's likely that several Galactic Cup bonuses were wasted in the casinos, and hookers were probably involved as well. But that's speculation. All I can tell you for certain is that everyone made it back to Euceron safely, and the ticker-tape parade through Eusebus set a world record for the largest gathering of sentient beings ever on Euceron; in fact, the number of beings who gathered that day was larger than the population of Euceron.

And that, my friends, is history.

TAG: @Trieste (who provided Lokensgaard's trophy presentation)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.