main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The OC Revolution | NEW! 2Q 2024 Challenge Is Up: Friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by OCDatabaseSock, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Well, since you mentioned it... :D :D: :D

I'm teasing, too. Mostly...:*

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Done and done. ;)

On top of that...I just realised that the story I'm writing for the Summer challenge also fits the criteria of the Spring/Summer challenge. Darn. As in, part one is Summer, part two is Spring/Summer.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Findswoman likes this.
  3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I.....may have an idea for the summer challenge. Hmmm.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Here's mine, still a work in progress. Hopefully won't be longer than 5K in the end.
    Waterstories

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  5. OCDatabaseSock

OCDatabaseSock Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2004
    So, with about two weeks left on our current challenge (see the top of post #2 and the index here), I thought I would check in and see how things are going. Any thoughts/epiphanies/concerns/ideas? Your friendly neighborhood sock is at your service. :D

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  6. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    I have a little something I'm working on...another story in the series of Infinite Ezras :D :ezra:

7. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
  8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I have kind of sort of started a little something, too—whether I finish it before the 2nd remains to be seen, but, true to my mouse muse, it involves Squibs.

9. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Squibs are awesome, you bet!

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Do I have to finish the whole story by the due date? I never had this happen before and now I just have to ask.

11. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Ack, sorry, I forgot I hadn't replied to this yet! In general I'm going to follow the same policy here that I do in the Fanon Thread, which is that the story has to have at least one chapter posted by the due date. And you've done that, so you're good. :)

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I managed to finish a challenge entry after all:

Somewhere Out There

Though because I'm also the interim thread host, I'm placing it out of competition.

Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    OK, everyone. Summer is coming to an end—school’s starting back up—goldenrods are blooming—leaves are just starting to turn—and VOTING HAS BEGUN for the OC Revolution Summer 2018 Challenge!

There are two stories in the running for this challenge:
    Waterstories by Ewok Poet
    "Sometimes I Just Know" by Raissa Baiard

And one out of competition:
    Somewhere Out There by Findswoman

Here's what to do: PM your vote to this sock by 11:59 pm PST on Tuesday, September 11 18. (Note that this is slightly over the usual single week of voting time, because I’ll be out of town the weekend just before.) Deadline extended as of September 13.

Here's what not to do: vote more than once, vote for yourself, vote using a sock as well as your normal account, vote for something that's not on this list or not in competition, etc., etc. I'm sure you all know the drill by now.

Here's when the winner will be announced: September 12 or 13 19 or 20 (barring all RL catastrophe).

And here's what the winner will get: the opportunity to come up with this thread's next challenge! (I am glad to work with you on the latter if it would be helpful—just shoot me a PM.)

Happy reading and voting! :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Anybody up for a wicked & random discussion?

How many of your OCs are author avatars and in what way (faceclaims, purposely based on you and/or those you later realised were such)?

Findswoman likes this.
  15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    If I am reading this right, I think you’re asking how much do our OC reflect our own selves as authors? If so, I don’t think my OCs are much me at all. They are other people i know, though. For example, one of my favorite OCs to play with is kind of a version of my own daughter. She’s gutsy, a born leader, someone with a strong sense of justice who speaks up for others, but she also makes mistakes and has to learn from them. I think just like artists paint their friends and family into pictures, we tend to do the same with our original characters.
    And then other OCs are strictly based on imagination, no real person inspiration whatsoever.

16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Interesting discussion question here. :) For my own part, I feel like I put some of myself, to varying degrees, into each character I write, whether OC or EC. Perhaps unsurprisingly the OCs, especially my principal ones, generally end up with more of me in them—I don’t know if they’re “avatars” of me, exactly (maybe I’ll leave it up to my readers to decide that), but my principal OCs definitely tend to end up with some of the same interests and talents, similar speech patterns, and I even gave one of them my tendency toward headache. :p Kind of a “write what you know” type thing, if you will. :D

And of course, another way OCs can reflect their authors is by loving the same (established or otherwise) characters that their authors love... though that is arguably a different discussion. ;)

17. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Thanks for the discussion question, @Ewok Poet! I’m curious to see who else will weigh in, and I generally welcome discussion ideas from any member at any time—so don’t be shy. :)

Also, just a quick reminder to get your votes in for the OC Summer Challenge! So far no votes have come in, and technically today is the last day of voting—though I am willing to extend voting another week (till the 18th) if that would help. So if it would, let me know! :D

ETA Sept. 13: Since Tuesday the 11th came and went with no votes, I am indeed going to extend voting till next Tuesday, September 18.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Sennah was specifically created to be who I would want to be if I were in the GFFA.

Most of my main character OCs are similar to me in one way or another, usually personality, because I have a hard time writing characters who are too different from me. I have trouble getting into their heads.

I'm actually trying to force myself to kind of grow past that, but it ends up with the story just kind of stalling.

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    See, for my own part, I don't see that as necessarily being a shortcoming or something that needs to be "grown past." It seems to me only natural that we as authors are going to put some of ourselves into our stories in whatever form—it's a form of the old writers' advice "write what you know." If done right (and what constitutes "doing it right" is admittedly a whole other discussion), I've found such characters can be immensely effective. (I'm finding Sennah a very effective and engaging character already! :cool: )

Of course, that doesn't mean trying to put oneself in the shoes of a totally different kind of character isn't worthwhile too, and that too can lead to very effective results if done right (that phrase again :p ). But I think we needn't feel that our characters won't be well-rounded and effective unless we make ourselves do that. If that makes sense. :)

divapilot and Raissa Baiard like this.
  20. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    Just popping in to remind folks that you have today and tomorrow left to get your OC Summer Challenge votes in! Also a heads-up that it may be closer to the end of the day Wednesday (the 19th), or possibly the morning of Thursday the 20th, that I announce results. But yes, do send in those votes—think of it as a way to keep the OC torch burning! :D

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  21. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Oh, Sennah's always going to be completely me, the "problem" I'm trying to get past is making sure Danyal for example is not also completely me. I want to try to have a variety of personalities. They're going to all have bits of me, just because I wrote them.
    But once, I had each of my main characters from across multiple stories I'd written do a personality quiz. All but the two I'd focused on absolutely making different were all the same personality type as me. I just want to kind of evolve past that in my writing.

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I solved this in the most unexpected way - I halved me. I put the aggressive, unruly, controversial me in an ENFP character and the quiet, passive-aggressive, suffering, scared me in an INFP character. I only realised that the first one was me as well recently. Then again, as a person with a black and white brain, I can pull this off.

The other characters are definitely not me, but they're mostly based on people I know and people I admire. I shall elaborate when my brain comes back. I think the left side went to Romania to save my crush from the wrath of Vlad.

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  23. OCDatabaseSock

Dec 17, 2004
    One last reminder: today's your last day to get your OC Summer Challenge votes in, people! Come do your civic duty! :D

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I did. :D

Findswoman likes this.
  25. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Thanks for extending the due date! I'd read all the things but didn't know it was voting time. [face_blush]

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.