main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mirroring and links between new films

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Freelancer257, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    Apologies if this is old news, but it seems like there is intentional mirroring or links between the new films.

For example - in Rogue One, multiple rebel ships attack an Imperial destroyer, causing a volley of explosions on its upper superstructure. In The Last Jedi, one rebel ship has the same effect.

In Rogue One, the Imperial base is an island on a tropical ocean planet and the island features in the last part of the movie. In The Last Jedi, Luke is on a temperate ocean planet and the island largely features in the earlier part of the movie.

In Rogue One, the heroes' last sight is of a fiery sky. In The Last Jedi, the hero's last sight is of a fiery sky.

In Rogue One and The Last Jedi, the finale includes a message which is sent to allies - in the first film, it's successful, but in the second film it's a failure.

Are there any other links between the new films which you've spotted?

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  2. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    One minor disagreement - we don't really know if it is failure. No-one responds, but it doesn't mean that someone wasn't listening.

I haven't noticed too many links between the new films. The new films are from different directors and happen at different points in the Star Wars timeline, with some of the films being having been developed simultaneously, so I think the similarities are coincidental. With that said, though, the next Star Wars film is also by JJ Abrams, so I think there will be some links to "The Force Awakens".

Speaking of mirrors, though there is the literal mirrors scene in "The Last Jedi" when Rey has her Force vision, which I'm still mulling over in terms of its meaning in this next film.