main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Resistance Season 1 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 25, 2018.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We're only about two weeks away, so here's the thread for season 1 of Resistance! We know about the first couple of episodes from here, so get to speculating! And remember, spoilers for an episode must be tagged until that episode has aired on live TV.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Go time.

[​IMG]

irrational haters not welcomed

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  3. JediTimeLord824

JediTimeLord824 Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2017
    I'm excited. I can't wait to see it!

teamhansolo and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Kazuda Xiono is Snoke. Or Plagueis. Or Rey's mom. There I speculated. :p

KamNale, TadoFett, cwustudent and 5 others like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Even though I forget his name I am really liking the ex imperial. Anything by Stanton and you know it’s going to be good.

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Wish they’d do something a little bit more adult. I want another show like TCW.

Erkan12 and Etav Byx like this.
  8. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Well, they are doing more TCW so there you go.

Vizzy91, revan772, TadoFett and 6 others like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have hopes for the Jon Favreau series

10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think you might have missed the subject of the thread.

In any event, we at least know that the animation style is better than TCW.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That is an opinion and one that I am on the fence with.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    All of my opinions are facts. They are, in fact, my opinions.

13. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Every time I see one of the trailers for this show, I can't stop smiling. Something about the design work and the feel of the whole thing just makes me happy.

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Everytime Neeku appears makes me happy.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    hopefully Neeku doesn't end up being a First Order sympathizer.

"Oh, by the way Kaz, did I mention that Supreme Leader Snoke is my Great Uncle?"

16. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I wonder why Griff is there?

Was he "overlooked" by the First Order or doesn't want anything to do with them?

What do you think?

What do we know about Castilon?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2018
  17. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
  18. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This looks really good.

20. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So excited for next Sunday! Can’t wait to watch this, loved that clip. The animation is great, love the movements. Great voice work as well.

teamhansolo and podjazd like this.
  21. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014
    When is the review embargo up?

22. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-resistance-interview-christopher-sean-kaz
    Much like his animated counterpart Kazuda Xiono, screen actor Christopher Sean had to overcome the challenges of a new mission in his debut as the voice of the young pilot-turned-spy on Star Wars Resistance.

[​IMG]

“There’s a saying: ‘They can’t hear your eyebrow raise.’” Sean says. “So it’s one of those things. How do you relay that emotion through your voice? That’s what you have to figure out as an actor.”

Fortunately, Sean had the support of the creators and fellow cast members who form the Star Wars Resistance family. “We are Team Fireball,” Sean says. “In essence, on camera and off, we’re a team.”

On a typical day in the recording studio, you can find Sean acting opposite the likes of Scott Lawrence, Suzie McGrath, and Josh Brener, as they record scripted lines, ad-lib and improvise new jokes, and play word games like the rhyming riddles of Hinky Pinky in between takes. “Getting in the room and watching these performers, all these very experienced voice actors work, I picked up a lot as quickly as I could,” Sean says.

[​IMG]

Sean learned early that voice acting was a bit like performing in the theatre — bigger, louder, and sometimes more intense than on screen. “I am accustomed to subtlety,” he says. In live-action roles, “the idea [has been] not to blink, [to] stay still and as strong as possible when you say your lines. And then you come into voice acting and it’s like ‘No, no, no! Close your eyes and just go crazy.’… Live in the moment and be there, that’s the best way to convey it, just really go for it and let your imagination run wild.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of his expressions in the recording booth have been captured in Kaz’s movements and expressive faces. ”You have to play to the back of the audience, as they say, raising your voice, using your hands and gestures, utilizing your body, because they do record you,” he says. When he watched a finished cut of the show, he could see the resemblance. “Those are the faces I was making recording it! That’s so cool.”

Sean recently sat down with StarWars.com to talk about finding Kaz’s voice, the excitement of seeing fans and “Kazplayers” already embracing the new character, and the importance of seeing such a diverse corner of the galaxy on screen.

‘Genuine love and happiness’

To create the soul of Kaz, whose privileged background hasn’t prepared him for the characters he encounters during a mission on the Colossus platform, Sean took inspiration from his own father, a Navy veteran; his three step-children; and the characters he’s played in the past, as diverse as the kind and compassionate Paul Narita on Days of Our Lives to the nefarious Gabriel Waincroft on Hawaii Five-0.

It was his father who first introduced the now 32-year-old Sean to the magic of Star Wars through The Empire Strikes Back, he says, when he was “a wee lad. I was a Padawan in San Diego.” Born in Washington state, the family lived in Canada, the Philippines, Japan, Mississippi, and elsewhere before putting down roots in southern California. “You get so culturally shocked everywhere you go,” Sean says. “And then change becomes regular.”

Discovering the galaxy opened up a universe of possibilities. “I just remember thinking … this is everything,” he says.

[​IMG]

Sean’s father’s experience in the Navy was a significant inspiration in his approach to Kaz. “There’s a respect and an honor that come with being in the military and it’s earned,” Sean says. At the same time, his father has always had a healthy sense of humor. “I just look at my dad and…he’s a total goofball,” he says with a laugh. “I can apply the same qualities to my character. When it comes to getting the work done and always keeping a level head amidst the chaos, I think of my dad and try to put that into Kaz.”

But Sean’s father is just one of the sources of inspiration. His stepchildren — ages 9, 11 and 14 — also help inform the character. “They’re all very smart. And each of them have their own unique personalities, their love of learning in life, no matter what…Watching their excitement, seeing that genuine love and happiness, that’s Kaz.” He applies it all to his performance.

Sean, whose mother was born and raised in Japan, hopes the next generation of young fans and their families will find a new role model in the diverse and eclectic group of characters on the show.

“Me, growing up, I really didn’t have any role models or representation on camera,” Sean says. “It’s nice to see someone say ‘Hey, that’s me! I’m that character!’”

[​IMG]

In fact, fans have already embraced Kaz and the rest of the new characters, using social media to post fan art and plot cosplay ensembles based on the characters, which Sean has dubbed “Kazplay.” “The fact that they’re doing it, that’s amazing to me,” the avid Instagrammer says of the fan artists.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lovable Kaz

On screen, Kaz is surrounded by a colorful cast of misfits, mechanics, and ace pilots just trying to find their way. “Kaz is just living out those simple mistakes that we make in life.” He tries to blend in and he ends up sticking out. He tries to be quiet, but ends up knocking over something loud. “He’s so fun,” Sean says, and easily relatable. Kaz learns from each character in the show, including Yeager, Tam, Neeku, Tora, “and so many other wonderfully developed characters.” It’s clear Sean is excited for everyone to see the stories they have to tell.

Behind the scenes, Sean has a similarly welcoming crew of fellow actors, a team so beloved he can’t pick a favorite. “Yeah, that’s a trap,” he says with a laugh at the request. “You learn so much from each person…We have so much fun,” Sean says. He feels fortunate to work with such a talented cast. “We get to play off each other and just create things.”

[​IMG]

And like Kaz, Sean is humbled to be in the presence of Poe Dameron himself, acting in scenes with Oscar Isaac reprising the role he created on film. “I just watched [Oscar] perform Hamlet in New York,” Sean says, and was thrilled to have the opportunity to record with him there. “[He makes] such strong choices as an actor, which guides me. I know exactly what I’m supposed to do.” And that creates the perfect dynamic for playing Kaz.

‘Share the love’

Now it’s time for Sean to pass on what he has learned.

Like his father before him, he’s already introduced his step-children to Star Wars. But he can’t wait to share the experience of Star Wars Resistance with his whole family. “They’re very, very proud and very excited,” he says. And they couldn’t wait to tell their friends.

He hopes other fans with families of their own will join in. “As fans of Star Wars, our job is to continue to share the love that we had as kids with others. That’s our job.” So he’s happy to share his passion for these stories and lore with a younger generation. “I hope children can come up the same way we did,” he says, with all the excitement and curiosity for exploring the whole Star Wars universe.

The one-hour series premiere of Star Wars Resistance debuts on October 7 on Disney Channel (10 p.m. ET/PT) and DisneyNOW. Two additional new episodes will be available via the DisneyNOW app and Disney Channel VOD earlier the same day.
    [/spoiler]

teamhansolo, TadoFett and La Calavera like this.
  23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    True, I just love the more mature tone the series has and wish they'd go that direction in a different era.

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m banking on the Favreau series being a bit more mature. Especially if Greig Fraser is DP.

25. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-...ts-and-will-cross-over-with-the-force-awakens
    Star Wars Resistance is a television show unlike anything else you've seen in the animated Star Wars world. Unlike Star Wars: The Clone Wars, it doesn't revolve around a massive war — it's set before the real with the First Order begins. Unlike Star Wars Rebels, there's not much to rebel against. In Resistance, the New Republic is well-established and the First Order is but a whisper on the lips of those who believe it exists.

Most significantly, there doesn't seem to be a Jedi — or even a Force user — anywhere in sight.

So what can we expect of Resistance? SYFY WIRE spoke with some of the series' creators, producers, and actor Bobby Moynihan to get to the bottom of what makes Resistance such a different story compared to others set in a galaxy far, far away.

Series previews have been pretty explicit about its focus on pilots. But what will those pilots be doing?

Racing. Lots of racing.

Racing is vital to the Star Wars universe. Podracing, introduced in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace, brought us the first taste of sports in Star Wars and, after his retirement as a general, Han Solo took up ship racing in the years before his son turned to the dark side. But in Resistance, that's what life revolves around. The series revolves around Colossus, which cast member Bobby Moynihan described to SYFY WIRE as a kind of galactic truck stop.

"It's like a floating Cantina... It's just like this place where you fix your ship, you go get gas, you go get food," Moynihan says. "All of the Star Wars we've seen before is about the Force and the Skywalker family in some capacity, and this is about all the guys that will drink at the cantina afterward."

The show definitely has a lot of deep cuts from the canon, both as joke references and serious moments. For example, Greg Proops, who portrayed half of the double-headed podracing announcer Fode and Beed in The Phantom Menace, comes back to announce races on the Colossus as a character named Jak Sivrak. Jak Sivrak is a play on the name Lak Sivrak, the wolf man from the Cantina scene in A New Hope who was replaced in the Special Edition of the movie.

Moynihan himself plays a character named Orka, a Chadra Fan, which is the same species as the little bat-like creature Kabe from A New Hope.

"We're nerds," series executive producer Athena Portillo said in reference to those truly deep deep cuts.

Head writer Brandon Auman says, "When we had the chance to do that, to get Greg Proops to come in and do an announcer voice as an homage to Phantom Menace, it was like why not?"

With jokes this specific on a show that feels aimed for younger kids, we asked Portillo who the show is actually targeting. "We're targeting ages six to 12, but honestly, it's more like six to 70 because I'm in my forties and I watched the show and I still crack up," she says.

Star Wars Resistance Executive Producers Justin Ridge, Athena Portillo, and Head Writer Brandon Auman.

The choice for the timeline of the show, set six months before the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, was a decision based on the target audience, too.

"It's a little hard for the younger fans to wrap their heads around it if it was, say 15 years before The Force Awakens," Auman explains. "Then it's a very nebulous timeline. You're kind of not sure. The fact that we've got Poe Dameron and BB-8 from the very beginning — kids and any fan of any age automatically just know... 'This is the new movies, this is where it's gonna take place,' so it's just easier. And it was just fun to kind of roll in and back up a little bit instead of just trying to follow exactly where the movies are at."

"This is actually an interesting timeline," series producer Justin Ridge says, "because you have all this old tech that's still around, and some of the old droids and things that are still working, but you have all the new tech from the new movies. It's a cool hybrid of old and new. Even though it has more the lighthearted tone to it, there are still stakes. This is still Star Wars, there's still good guys and bad guys, it's just there's not a war going on at this point, so we don't start off heavy with conflict, we have to see how the First Order is building up. This is part of [series lead] Kaz Xiono's mission: to figure out what that is and report it to the Resistance."

This isn't to say we won't be seeing the war at all. Perhaps the most tantalizing bit of information Ridge dropped during the course of the interview was that the show would get to overlap with the events of The Force Awakens. That certainly changes the stakes for every character involved.

And that's an exciting thing to think about.

Erkan12, teamhansolo and cwustudent like this.