main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Alphabet Squadron by Alexander Freed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 5, 2018.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I love the title, it’s like something wraith squadron would come up with.

2. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    When you consider some of the sillier things that have come out of Star Wars in it's 40 plus years . . . Jaxxon the Green Rabbit Man, Mount Sorrow, everything in The Glove of Darth Vader or The Holiday Special . . .

the title "Alphabet Squadron" dosn't even make my top 20 of silly things in Star Wars.

They could call this book "Floopity Boopity Squadron" or "Jar Jar Squadron" and I wouldn't care as long as the premise and story were good.

Revanfan1 and KerkKorpil like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Dinner and Silly Squadron!

4. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Surely Aurebesh Squadron would be better. My first instinct was that this was a junior book or something and wasn't even going to click into the thread. I really think it could impact people's perceptions.

PimpBacca likes this.
  5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Aurebesh Squadron wouldn't mean anything to the casual audience, whereas at least they can join the dots with Alphabet Squadron ("hey, it's because the ships are all named after letters! Neat.") Also, A, B, U, X, and Y aren't Aurebesh letters.

Landb, Senpezeco, Outsourced and 8 others like this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The title sounds silly, not sure if my perception of that will ever change.

So how are they going to find those Imperials, just google them? Or maybe its a subtle endorsement/advertising. (Not sure how many people will get that joke.)

Glad to hear Freed's writing another book, most of his stuff has been at the least decent and some of it has been great. This sounds pretty interesting, just hope it doesn't stray too far into the "First Order hints but they can't find out and tell anyone else because status quo and prequel status" territory. Like if they can take on Imp warlords or holdouts that don't have much to do with the First Order. I'm somewhat interested in just seeing more of the post-RotJ galaxy, that era really needs more stuff (in the nu-canon).

whostheBossk and KerkKorpil like this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

You've just raised my hopes over something that is unlikely to happen. We must duel at dawn.

[​IMG]

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This is all I have to say about the title.

9. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Darn High Galactic!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    *sonic shower.

Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  11. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Hih Galactic was a thing. Granted, it was only really brought up in one nu-canon book, that being Heir to the Jedi.

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This.

Daneira likes this.
  13. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Just makes the title and the anachronism of it all even dumber to be honest.

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Seconded.

15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    [​IMG]

16. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Are you sure?

An anachronism is something belonging to a certain period appearing in another period. I'm considering the Star Wars Galaxy a particular period.

17. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Usually, anachronism implies that the period is different, but the setting is the same (otherwise, you're comparing pears and apples). That's another galaxy we're talking about here. Perhaps another universe, even.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Revanfan1 and JediBatman like this.
  18. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Right. And if Luke suddenly logged onto Facebook, I'd consider that an anachronism as well. The issue with having A/B/X/Y Wings in a period that uses an entirely different alphabet - being Aurebesh - is anachronistic.

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Except that we know there's also an analog to our alphabet in the GFFA. High Galactic was explicitely mentioned in Heir to the Jedi and the Propganda book. The Lambda-class shuttle is part of Cygnus/Sienar's abecederian line. The two main droids of the saga are C-3PO and R2-D2 (not Cresh-Three-Peth-Osk and Resh-Two-Dorn-Two). And so on. Not only is it not technically an anachronism, but it isn't even new.

20. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    That's.. entirely my point. I feel like we're arguing the same thing.

The contradictory elements within Star Wars about whether they use our alphabet or a fictional alphabet or a combination of the two are one of the sillier elements, and my point is naming a book Alphabet Squadron serves to highlight that.

21. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Wait, what, how is the use of the word 'alphabet' an anachronism? In-universe alphabet would merely be the word for a writing system, just like in English. Aurebesh is an alphabet. Unless the use of English words in of itself an anachronism?

Revanfan1, Outsourced and Vthuil like this.
  22. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Who said it was?

23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    You said that the use of the word alphabet is an anachronism. I'm pointing out that's merely the basic word for a writing system and if you think that word is an anachronism then every basic line in the franchise is an anachronism.

24. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Did I? Could you point to where I did that?

I said that the title AND the anachronism of it (using X/Y/A/B-Wing designations) make the title seem even dumber. By using the term 'Alphabet' to describe A/B/X/Y designations just further underlines the inconsistencies about what the actual Galactic alphabet is. Alphabet isn't an anachronism, A/B/X/Y seemingly is.

Does that clarify things?

25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Sort of... why is this more of a problem than the very fact that, say, X-Wings exist. This 'anachronism' is so engrained in the franchise I don't see how this title should be singled out. The very fact humans exist in this universe is an anachronism.